The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2024

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:20 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:33 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:05 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:51 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:52 am
seacoaster wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:23 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:22 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:50 pm
CU88 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:30 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:05 pm
Doubt Biden makes it through his first term,
I will take the bait, what do you know that we don't?

What makes you ask this? You can't see ANY basis at ALL for realistically asking that question? Or is it, you DON"T WANT to see it as a realistic question, because it challenges your narrative. I'm betting that's the more likely reasoning here.

Joe
Did Kram 'ask a question'?
I don't see a question mark..looks like a statement.
And what narrative is it that you imagine CU88 has that's challenged by this particular statement?
And why is it not OK to ask Kramer the basis for the statement?
Because he's explained the basis for the statement many times. You are still not going to be "ok" whether he explains it again, ad nauseum. That's fine, because it does not fit your preferred narrow political narrative. There's nothing nefarious behind Kram's statement, you guys just perceive it that way, as an attack. It's not, he is making observations and projection's based on patterns of behavior he is noticing.

Joe
Actually, I don't recall anyone, Kram or anyone else, actually making a well-supported argument that they have actually observed, with examples, of real cognitive decline (much less the nuttiness of the former POTUS)...and as someone who actually watches Biden speak quite a bit, at length, and have for many years, I just don't see more than regular aging. That's not a "narrative", "narrow or otherwise.

But he's an old guy. Might die before his term ends, whether first or second term. Certainly more likely than if he was 20 years younger. No debate there.

Maybe you don't realize how ridiculous this particular "projection" of "make it through the end of his term" sounds without any basis other than the objective reality of sheer age, but it really is.

What does appear to be a politically motivated "narrative' is this wishful thinking on the hard right that Biden's not up to the job of leadership. The hypocrisy of this is quite amazing, but hey, you do you.

Of course, if you'd like to step into Kram's shoes and actually explain the basis of this "observation" based on real examples, including full speeches and/or extended responses to press questions, go for it. That was the question asked. BTW, not taking questions ain't it...that's a choice that's appropriate for any POTUS at times, nor is Biden's stumbling at times over his words, something he's done for decades due to the way his brain is often ahaed of his words, caused stuttering etc. That's quite similar now, to how it's always been.

If you're just saying he's old, I do quite agree.
Thank goodness he does seem to be in good health, works a very long day, and appears no worse for the wear at this point.
If anything, he appears stronger to me than during the campaign a year ago...watched his speech at UN and he seems quite on his game to me.

Did you watch?
Me, I'd be exhausted!
Not taking any questions? I'd be hard pressed to remember a president that took that option as frequently as Joe does. I'm not sitting here hoping he fails so that DJT can come swooping in and reclaim the presidency, that's just something that you have concocted in your own head. :roll:

Joe
Not to mention the fact that dementia Joe can't answer questions without a cheat sheet. Not to mention the fact that dementia Joe is all over the place trying to answer the most basic of questions. This could be the reason Jen Sake is going out of her mind trying to explain whatever it is her boss is rambling about from one day to the next.
Yes. But just because he's all jumbled up, doesn't mean he's going anywhere. You gents remember Reagan, right? What happened there?
Reelected in a landslide.

I just think this whole 'dementia' stuff is a bunch of wishful thinking by the right wing, angry cohort/media...not that it's impossible, but I just don't see it as yet. He's pretty darn clear to me, and that includes watching him answer long form, multi-part questions. I've seen dementia up close and I don't see those signs (yet) with Biden.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:45 pm

What makes you ask this? You can't see ANY basis at ALL for realistically asking that question? Or is it, you DON"T WANT to see it as a realistic question, because it challenges your narrative. I'm betting that's the more likely reasoning here.

Joe
And what narrative is it that you imagine CU88 has that's challenged by this particular statement?
Because he's explained the basis for the statement many times. You are still not going to be "ok" whether he explains it again, ad nauseum. That's fine, because it does not fit your preferred narrow political narrative. There's nothing nefarious behind Kram's statement, you guys just perceive it that way, as an attack. It's not, he is making observations and projection's based on patterns of behavior he is noticing.

Joe
Actually, I don't recall anyone, Kram or anyone else, actually making a well-supported argument that they have actually observed, with examples, of real cognitive decline (much less the nuttiness of the former POTUS)...and as someone who actually watches Biden speak quite a bit, at length, and have for many years, I just don't see more than regular aging. That's not a "narrative", "narrow or otherwise.

But he's an old guy. Might die before his term ends, whether first or second term. Certainly more likely than if he was 20 years younger. No debate there.

Maybe you don't realize how ridiculous this particular "projection" of "make it through the end of his term" sounds without any basis other than the objective reality of sheer age, but it really is.

What does appear to be a politically motivated "narrative' is this wishful thinking on the hard right that Biden's not up to the job of leadership. The hypocrisy of this is quite amazing, but hey, you do you.

Of course, if you'd like to step into Kram's shoes and actually explain the basis of this "observation" based on real examples, including full speeches and/or extended responses to press questions, go for it. That was the question asked. BTW, not taking questions ain't it...that's a choice that's appropriate for any POTUS at times, nor is Biden's stumbling at times over his words, something he's done for decades due to the way his brain is often ahaed of his words, caused stuttering etc. That's quite similar now, to how it's always been.

Thank goodness he does seem to be in good health, works a very long day, and appears no worse for the wear at this point.
If anything, he appears stronger to me than during the campaign a year ago...watched his speech at UN and he seems quite on his game to me.

Did you watch?
Me, I'd be exhausted!
Not taking any questions? I'd be hard pressed to remember a president that took that option as frequently as Joe does. I'm not sitting here hoping he fails so that DJT can come swooping in and reclaim the presidency, that's just something that you have concocted in your own head. :roll:

Joe
ahhh, but are you hoping he fails? (forget Trump, are you hoping for good health and success?)
And seriously, you've tracked how often Biden takes questions?
Is there simply discipline re-instituted in this White House on process?

By contrast, Trump was very undisciplined, took questions, berated press he didn't like and refused to answer their questions, but loved to interact with Fox, OAN, etc, loved the attention, until he tired of such, questions got too pointed...but no straight press conferences, heck press secretaries eventually refused to do them at all. (and that's ignoring the blatant lying).

Biden's process is simply a return to prior disciplined Presidencies.
I don't recall your age, Joe, but perhaps you just don't have that many Presidencies' perspective.
MD,

I don't have that perspective as I'm half of your age, that is right. And I don't want the president to fail. Whether I want him to or don't has no bearing on whether he actually does or does not fail. Trump wasn't for everybody, that's been established 100000 times over by the regular FLP cohort that makes up nearly 2/3rds of this site. Very difficult to get in a different perspective through, when you are harangued for even expressing such thoughts. Again, I should know better and know my audience. I learned long ago I am not changing anybody's mind in this group, too entrenched in their narrow political/worldviews, much to their own detriment at times. :roll:

Joe
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:49 pm

Joe

Joe

Did you watch?
Me, I'd be exhausted!

Joe
Not to mention the fact that dementia Joe can't answer questions without a cheat sheet. Not to mention the fact that dementia Joe is all over the place trying to answer the most basic of questions. This could be the reason Jen Sake is going out of her mind trying to explain whatever it is her boss is rambling about from one day to the next.
Yes. But just because he's all jumbled up, doesn't mean he's going anywhere. You gents remember Reagan, right? What happened there?

I just think this whole 'dementia' stuff is a bunch of wishful thinking by the right wing, angry cohort/media...not that it's impossible, but I just don't see it as yet. He's pretty darn clear to me, and that includes watching him answer long form, multi-part questions. I've seen dementia up close and I don't see those signs (yet) with Biden.
But Reagan had a booming academy. And wasn't dealing with massive inflation, and a major shortage in the entire supply chain for ... everthing.

The Democrats are officially in full control, and right or wrong have used the pandemic and handouts to turn us into a lazy, non-working nation seeing shortages similar to the Russian consumer supply shortages of the 1980s. Rationing has already begun. "One per" at grocery stores. Shortages in the stores, no building materials or exorbitant proces. No appliances or automobiles to be found. But hopefully we'll see another bailout soon.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:54 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:45 pm

Joe

Joe

Did you watch?
Me, I'd be exhausted!

Joe
ahhh, but are you hoping he fails? (forget Trump, are you hoping for good health and success?)
And seriously, you've tracked how often Biden takes questions?
Is there simply discipline re-instituted in this White House on process?

By contrast, Trump was very undisciplined, took questions, berated press he didn't like and refused to answer their questions, but loved to interact with Fox, OAN, etc, loved the attention, until he tired of such, questions got too pointed...but no straight press conferences, heck press secretaries eventually refused to do them at all. (and that's ignoring the blatant lying).

Biden's process is simply a return to prior disciplined Presidencies.
I don't recall your age, Joe, but perhaps you just don't have that many Presidencies' perspective.
MD,

I don't have that perspective as I'm half of your age, that is right. And I don't want the president to fail. Whether I want him to or don't has no bearing on whether he actually does or does not fail. Trump wasn't for everybody, that's been established 100000 times over by the regular FLP cohort that makes up nearly 2/3rds of this site. Very difficult to get in a different perspective through, when you are harangued for even expressing such thoughts. Again, I should know better and know my audience. I learned long ago I am not changing anybody's mind in this group, too entrenched in their narrow political/worldviews, much to their own detriment at times. :roll:

Joe
Well, while my own advice remains to stick to the lax threads, I assure you that most of us on here aren't remotely "FLP"...a couple are, but that's it. Quite a few do lean left, some moderate, a few lean right, and a handful lean darn hard right. Reflects the demographics of the general lax world (esp a bit older), better than average educated, middle class to affluent, largely coastal...and that's definitely going to lean to moderate Republican, moderate to leftward Dem, or Independent, etc. But pretty darn mainstream, not "FLP".

So, if you actually present, as a right wing person, an argument that is decently well-founded in specifics and logic, that effort is going to meet with same in response. A discussion. Doesn't mean you'll change someone's mind, but there may well be a better understanding and perhaps appreciation of the perspective or logic. Assuming one is open to the same.

Unfortunately, IMO, a big part of what purports to be "opinion" these days from the right is based on active misinformation/propaganda, appeals to 'lizard-brain' angers and resentments. Devoid of actual truth and logic, it's almost entirely emotional.

It's why you see so many actual conservatives separating themselves from this populist anger.

Of course, that can also be found on the 'left', and some can be seen on here, too...but not much, IMO.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:06 pm

Joe

Joe

Did you watch?
Me, I'd be exhausted!

Joe

But Reagan had a booming academy. And wasn't dealing with massive inflation, and a major shortage in the entire supply chain for ... everthing.

The Democrats are officially in full control, and right or wrong have used the pandemic and handouts to turn us into a lazy, non-working nation seeing shortages similar to the Russian consumer supply shortages of the 1980s. Rationing has already begun. "One per" at grocery stores. Shortages in the stores, no building materials or exorbitant proces. No appliances or automobiles to be found. But hopefully we'll see another bailout soon.
Krame, were you around in the 80s? A booming economy?

Inflation during Reagan's eight years in office was 10.3, 6.1, 3.2, 4.3, 3.5, 1.9, 3.7, and 4.0. And he wasn't dealing with a pandemic. https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/U ... n-rate-cpi

I bought my first house in 1982 with 13 5/8% thirty year mortgage rate, and that was a special low rate for first time home buyers. You know, one of those government handouts.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Joe

Joe

Did you watch?
Me, I'd be exhausted!

Joe

Reagan didn't exactly have a "booming" economy (I assume that's what you meant to type) in year one. Took awhile. Infact, Inflation in Reagan's first year was over 10% (though down from prior year).

He inherited a mess, managed to give an enormous tax stimulant plus massive defense spending stimulant, and had a FED that fought hard on the inflation front, and eventually the US did indeed boom for awhile...and yes, Reagan benefited electorally (while suffering from dementia onset). We'll see where Biden is in Year 4.

I don't know about you, but I'm hoping that what they're trying to do actually works.

Right now, the "rationing" I'm most concerned with is the "rationing" of healthcare happening in the worst COVID hotspots. Get this thing under control and I think our economic engine booms again. We're already doing hugely better than 2020.

Of course, I'm also pro immigration, both high skill and low.
Let's get those Haitians and Afghans to work! ;)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Joe

Joe

Did you watch?
Me, I'd be exhausted!

Joe

The more legitimate criticism is he seems to have empowered/delegated/“opened up the release valve” on the White House staff and other surrogates as well as congress a bit too much in response to whatever we had with the disaster of the prior regime. Maybe that gets corrected but the window to effectively do things, especially when the perspective is that he's “one and done” in the “planning” and “strategy” of the other side likely accelerating the back end lame duck status we will see. Window is short should have come out of the gate prepared and disciplined notwithstanding the disgusting transition process forced upon him and his team.

But that doesn’t sell with the raging tool crowd.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:24 pm

Joe

Joe

Did you watch?
Me, I'd be exhausted!

Joe

Krame, were you around in the 80s? A booming economy?

Inflation during Reagan's eight years in office was 10.3, 6.1, 3.2, 4.3, 3.5, 1.9, 3.7, and 4.0. And he wasn't dealing with a pandemic. https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/U ... n-rate-cpi

I bought my first house in 1982 with 13 5/8% thirty year mortgage rate, and that was a special low rate for first time home buyers. You know, one of those government handouts.
Well those interest rates were a function of Paul Volcker having to tackle the worse of all conditions from the 70s- stagflation.

I still think it’s worth most people reading Tipping Point if they haven’t. Timeless in how it approaches our interpretation of events, trends and societies over a linear timeline.
See Martin, Malcolm
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:06 pm But Reagan had a booming academy. And wasn't dealing with massive inflation, and a major shortage in the entire supply chain for ... everthing.

No offense, Kram, but this is the Trump-ian view of what's going on. FoxNation.

These supply shortages are in every nation, in every economy. Why? Because we had rolling shut downs/operating at limited capacity in every country on Earth for almost a year. Demand for things like travel, restaurants, etc. fell off a cliff. This caused major labor mismatches that we're still dealing with.

There's a massive aluminum can shortage, for example. Why? Well for one reason, mining shutdowns. For another, American consumers completely changed where and how they bought things like beer. All those draught beers at a restaurant? Gone. You need to be able to buy them at grocery stores, because liquor stores were closed for instore shopping. And your local brewpub? They had to pivot to "carry out" cans to keep the lights on, just like the free market told them.

And yes, the extended unemployment has had an effect on supply as well as the labor market. But it's a tiny part of much larger problems that will take years to fix.

I can name, for example, 10 separate friends who "pivoted" from the restaurant game to more stable jobs. Just as the free market told them to do. Real Estate, Food Manufacturing, Sales, etc. All of them were in the restaurant game for 10+ years. They're out, and aren't coming back.

It's gonna take time to right the ship.
ggait

Post by ggait »

The thing about Sleepy/Dementia Joe not making it a second terms is so dumb. Originally, he wasn't going to make it to Election Day. Then was going to croak before Inauguration Day. If the projecting Reps keep moving the goalposts on his demise, I guess eventually they'll be correct.

IIRC, Hillary was also demented and near death according to Trump and FNC back in 2016. Amazing how well she has recovered since losing to fat stupid Donald!

Anyone think Trump is in better shape (physically, emotionally, intellectually) than Biden? Or Hillary? They are all old, and we all know that Donald's life insurance premiums are the highest.

And of course the guy who actually was demented while in the Oval Office was Reagan.

Fact is, Biden has always been a poor speaker. Has always been a stammerer and a rambler. Well documented as being a meh intellect. Well documented that he surrounds himself with and relies on very experienced professional people. Actual best people, rather than the shirt show of hacks we saw for the last four years.

Is Biden a puppet propped up by his staff? Evidence seems to indicate no. Sounds like everyone told him not to pull out of Afghanistan, but Joe made his own call (wrong imo) on that one.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:49 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:06 pm But Reagan had a booming academy. And wasn't dealing with massive inflation, and a major shortage in the entire supply chain for ... everthing.

No offense, Kram, but this is the Trump-ian view of what's going on. FoxNation.

These supply shortages are in every nation, in every economy. Why? Because we had rolling shut downs/operating at limited capacity in every country on Earth for almost a year. Demand for things like travel, restaurants, etc. fell off a cliff. This caused major labor mismatches that we're still dealing with.

There's a massive aluminum can shortage, for example. Why? Well for one reason, mining shutdowns. For another, American consumers completely changed where and how they bought things like beer. All those draught beers at a restaurant? Gone. You need to be able to buy them at grocery stores, because liquor stores were closed for instore shopping. And your local brewpub? They had to pivot to "carry out" cans to keep the lights on, just like the free market told them.

And yes, the extended unemployment has had an effect on supply as well as the labor market. But it's a tiny part of much larger problems that will take years to fix.

I can name, for example, 10 separate friends who "pivoted" from the restaurant game to more stable jobs. Just as the free market told them to do. Real Estate, Food Manufacturing, Sales, etc. All of them were in the restaurant game for 10+ years. They're out, and aren't coming back.

It's gonna take time to right the ship.
Exactly.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:24 am
Wonder what is going on here....https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/ ... 81091?s=20

Right in the middle of Boris Johnson speaking, White House staff cuts him off and dismisses the press. Weird.
And this is how Peppermint Patty brushes it aside when asked about it. They certainty are protecting Joe....as much as they possibly can, if you can not see this, its b/c you simply do not want to see it. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Oval.html
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:58 pm
Wonder what is going on here....https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/ ... 81091?s=20

Right in the middle of Boris Johnson speaking, White House staff cuts him off and dismisses the press. Weird.
And this is how Peppermint Patty brushes it aside when asked about it. They certainty are protecting Joe....as much as they possibly can, if you can not see this, its b/c you simply do not want to see it. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Oval.html
Interrupting a world leader when he's speaking is inexcusable, unless there's some emergency we don't know about....

They can "protect" Biden without doing that.

You're not going to be able to tell if they're "protecting" Biden, my man. Every admin keeps Presidents away from hard questions, and tries to massage the message.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:19 pm

Interrupting a world leader when he's speaking is inexcusable, unless there's some emergency we don't know about....

You're not going to be able to tell if they're "protecting" Biden, my man. Every admin keeps Presidents away from hard questions, and tries to massage the message.
I mean I might try to get the digits of the New Zealand lady on the SLU and risk interrupting one of them.
See Martin, Malcolm
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:19 pm

That Biden staff really screwed up. They didn’t interrupt Biden to avoid him saying something that would need explanation, they strategically interrupted Johnson so there’d be no questioning re: protecting Biden. But it didn’t work. They were caught.

(Written in a sarcasm font that was as strong as I could find, along with a massive eye roll emoji.)
ggait

Post by ggait »

That Biden staff really screwed up. They didn’t interrupt Biden to avoid him saying something that would need explanation, they strategically interrupted Johnson so there’d be no questioning re: protecting Biden. But it didn’t work. They were caught.
It is really a yuge disgrace. That Biden guy with his notecards and sticking to the script and message.

Makes me really miss the guy who could sling hour upon hour of lies and rando BS. Who didn't need notecards to talk about how big his hands/button/johnson are. And who watched like 10 hours of TV a day while president. Yup -- the good old days.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

ggait wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:41 pm
It is really a yuge disgrace. That Biden guy with his notecards and sticking to the script and message.

Makes me really miss the guy who could sling hour upon hour of lies and rando BS. Who didn't need notecards to talk about how big his hands/button/johnson are. And who watched like 10 hours of TV a day while president. Yup -- the good old days.
Over/under on whether you will still be bitching about DJT if/when we have a new president that's not him in Jan 2025? I'll take the OVER, by a large margin. :roll: :roll:

Joe
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:52 pm

Over/under on whether you will still be bitching about DJT if/when we have a new president that's not him in Jan 2025? I'll take the OVER, by a large margin. :roll: :roll:

Joe
That's not it. He's not "bitching about Trump", my man.

He's making fun of people who let it all go when Trump was in power, and didn't say a word..... and are now hilariously nitpicking Biden.

So the Trump White House goes 300+ days without a press briefing----Republicans don't care. Biden leaves an event without taking questions?

Oh, clutch pearls! Biden can't do that!!!

The moral of the story is: either hold our President to account....or don't. Pick one.
ggait

Post by ggait »

So the Trump White House goes 300+ days without a press briefing----Republicans don't care. Biden leaves an event without taking questions?

Yup.

It is just like Obama's tan suit. Unprecedented! Desperate! Unpresidential! Shocking! An affront! Weak!

And then pix show up of Reagan wearing a tan suit. And Bush 1. And Bush 2. And Clinton.

Bull shirt is bull shirt.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:43 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:52 pm

Joe
That's not it. He's not "bitching about Trump", my man.

He's making fun of people who let it all go when Trump was in power, and didn't say a word..... and are now hilariously nitpicking Biden.

The moral of the story is: either hold our President to account....or don't. Pick one.
+1
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”