All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:00 am Why the U.S. Delta Wave Could Be Far Less Deadly

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-re ... definition
The vaccines have been helpful and a younger population is being hit this cycle. Although the vaccine has helped so far, we need to get more folks vaccinated and maintain vigilance to keep the spread down in an effort to out race a more deadly mutation. Mutations are a wildcard….. best to aggressively dampen the spread. We are always playing catch-up. Nature of viruses, from what I have read.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:56 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:02 pm The hysteria seems to be ramping up. Even the global warming shysters came out to play today. I’m far more intrigued by increased hysteria than anything.

Follow the money, boys.

What’s causing the new hysteria? I thought Joe said if you elected him, he’d stamp out Covid. He didn’t? Isn’t he POTUS? I thought Trump was responsible for everything on his watch? Not so for Joe?

Color me all sorts last confused, Johnson.

Children are dying thanks to the stupidity of their tRump wiping pols and the radical far is rubbing their wicked hands with rapturous glee. Comes as no surprise, of course. Too bad the delusionals refuse to get vaccinated but it goes to show who the real baby killers are. Naturally, they blame Biden as that is a typical manifestation of Biden derangement syndrome.

Brook, first, there is no Biden Derangement Syndrome. I don’t know of any sane Republican who wakes up every day trying to oust the guy (like with the Trump loons). The only derangement Syndrome the normals of America have is voting out Democrats, because putting it bluntly, you guys have become totalitarians. The demand to adhere to orthodoxy from Democrats today is not much different from the Soviet’s of old.

Secondly, you boys have gone bananas about Covid, even though any rational take on the virus can see that there will be waves, up and down, all over the world. America is no different than other countries. What is peaking today will be a trough tomorrow. I don’t hyperventilate simply because of one anecdote. Nor should you.

What I would suggest is start listening to guys like Dr Marty Makary of John’s Hopkins who seems to be the most logical doctor in this pandemic. I particularly listen to him because he bucks the prevailing orthodoxy in the face of massive pressure to shut up, yet because he’s so accomplished, even the lunatics can’t get the Hopkins administration to fire the guy. Brilliant guy with a spine…that is someone to emulate.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/10/us/flori ... index.html

Why a man with a family will opt to not get vaccinated for no real reason is beyond me.
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:34 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:11 pm
CU88 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:08 pm Imagine a judge or laws ordering a woman to give birth...
:shock:
You mean a woman who chose to procreate?
(Not to be confused with those oft cited instances of rape and incest.)
So every time you've ever done the horizontal mambo it was to procreate? That's effing hilarious.
Not what I’m saying at all. But When you chose to horizontal mambo, you know the potential outcome. You “chose” to do it anyway. So by default, you chose to procreate. “Oopsie” or not!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Makary is a surgeon. Oncology and gastroenterology.

Not a public health scientist, not a virologist, not an infectious disease expert, not even a behavioral scientist.

A surgeon.
Anyone know some surgeons? ;)

He's opining on topics entirely outside of his expertise and getting tons of attention. Undoubtedly a smart, accomplished surgeon, but that's it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:21 am
tech37 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:00 am Why the U.S. Delta Wave Could Be Far Less Deadly

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-re ... definition
The vaccines have been helpful and a younger population is being hit this cycle. Although the vaccine has helped so far, we need to get more folks vaccinated and maintain vigilance to keep the spread down in an effort to out race a more deadly mutation. Mutations are a wildcard….. best to aggressively dampen the spread. We are always playing catch-up. Nature of viruses, from what I have read.
I read that analysis as explicitly saying that vaccinations are making the virus less deadly. Potentially keeping the death spike below prior peak, though cases rising very fast.

More people who get infected are vaccinated and having a less deadly response. But still deadly...and lots of serious cases means lots of potential long-coved situations.

So, get vaccinated.
It helps you survive and it helps reduce spread.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:20 am Makary is a surgeon. Oncology and gastroenterology.

Not a public health scientist, not a virologist, not an infectious disease expert, not even a behavioral scientist.

A surgeon.

He's opining on topics entirely outside of his expertise and getting tons of attention. Undoubtedly a smart, accomplished surgeon, but that's it.
Being he's all that, you don't consider what he is saying as possibly correct? Or do you need a specific degree from a specific level of education in order to listen, consider, and then possibly proclaim correct?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:33 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:20 am Makary is a surgeon. Oncology and gastroenterology.

A surgeon.

Being he's all that, you don't consider what he is saying as possibly correct? Or do you need a specific degree from a specific level of education in order to listen, consider, and then possibly proclaim correct?
Of course not.
I don't have those types of expertise and I like my "smart, accomplished" opinions just fine too! ;)

Seriously, his opinion is not of an expert. Zero expertise in any field relevant to the questions at hand.

Which doesn't mean that his opinions couldn't possibly be correct, or at least some element...after all a broken clock is right twice a day.

But when someone who has no relevant expertise opines it should be given very little weight relative to the analyses of those who actually do have relevant expertise...btw, a virologist is not a behavioral scientist, so may not have the same answers as to how best to effect human behaviors...but the virologist can tell you how critical it is to indeed change human behaviors so as to fight how the virus spreads...it requires a combination of such expertise to reach the answers most likely to be correct.

A surgeon may have an enormous ego (every single surgeon I know has this quality!) but unlikely to have the relevant expertise to make their opinion actually more likely to be correct.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

A surgeon.

A lesson in common sense from Makary.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-ne ... -americans
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:24 am

Brook, first, there is no Biden Derangement Syndrome. I don’t know of any sane Republican who wakes up every day trying to oust the guy (like with the Trump loons). The only derangement Syndrome the normals of America have is voting out Democrats, because putting it bluntly, you guys have become totalitarians. The demand to adhere to orthodoxy from Democrats today is not much different from the Soviet’s of old.

Secondly, you boys have gone bananas about Covid, even though any rational take on the virus can see that there will be waves, up and down, all over the world. America is no different than other countries. What is peaking today will be a trough tomorrow. I don’t hyperventilate simply because of one anecdote. Nor should you.

What I would suggest is start listening to guys like Dr Marty Makary of John’s Hopkins who seems to be the most logical doctor in this pandemic. I particularly listen to him because he bucks the prevailing orthodoxy in the face of massive pressure to shut up, yet because he’s so accomplished, even the lunatics can’t get the Hopkins administration to fire the guy. Brilliant guy with a spine…that is someone to emulate.

~ there is no Biden Derangement Syndrome ~

Calling him "Sleepy" or 'demented' as so many right wingers have said is only one sign of BDS. The daily attacks and lies made about him are even worse.

~ totalitarians ~

Your hero tRump is the closest thing to Hitler that we've ever had. Anyone who dares to stray from his demands is attacked and blacklisted. This is worse than anything we saw under McCarthy. Then he incites a riot in Washington DC just like Hitler beer hall putsch but as with his spread of the plague, he refuses to take responsibility for it.

~ America is no different than other countries. ~

USA is # 1 in deaths thanks to the delusionalism of tRump and his cultists. Compare to Canada where the government under liberal Trudeau took effective measures to limit the spread of the tRump plague. This is what we should have done in the USA to enjoy freedom from death and debilitation.

~ Dr Makary ~

Better to heed Dr Fauci. We will all be safer for doing so.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:49 am

A surgeon.

A lesson in common sense from Makary.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-ne ... -americans
Read it, see above.
He has no relevant expertise.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

A surgeon.

... I think we have had one recent example of a world renown Hopkins surgeon who was/is batsh*t crazy. Not smart enough to come in out of the rain. :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:48 am

A surgeon.

Of course not.
I don't have those types of expertise and I like my "smart, accomplished" opinions just fine too! ;)

Seriously, his opinion is not of an expert. Zero expertise in any field relevant to the questions at hand.

Which doesn't mean that his opinions couldn't possibly be correct, or at least some element...after all a broken clock is right twice a day.

But when someone who has no relevant expertise opines it should be given very little weight relative to the analyses of those who actually do have relevant expertise...btw, a virologist is not a behavioral scientist, so may not have the same answers as to how best to effect human behaviors...but the virologist can tell you how critical it is to indeed change human behaviors so as to fight how the virus spreads...it requires a combination of such expertise to reach the answers most likely to be correct.

A surgeon may have an enormous ego (every single surgeon I know has this quality!) but unlikely to have the relevant expertise to make their opinion actually more likely to be correct.
OK thanks, was just curious.

I mean, take Fauci... I don't know what his bona fides are (nor do I care) but his messaging and alleged actions throughout and leading up to this pandemic, has been a mess.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:55 am

A surgeon.

Of course not.

I mean, take Fauci... I don't know what his bona fides are (nor do I care) but his messaging and alleged actions throughout and leading up to this pandemic, have been a mess.
Well, actually you really should care about what Fauci's "bona fides" are. It matters.

Sure, some of his communication has been confusing. I was very, very critical of the no need to wear a mask messaging early on, but it seemed pretty obvious, pretty quickly, that it was an effort to make sure the hospitals had enough PPE in the face of an Admin that was unwilling to put full resources behind testing and mask production, instead relying on "private" business.

Mistake IMO.

And it was clear that Fauci was being prevented from being the direct conduit of info, given the enormous ego of the POTUS. Mistake by POTUS.

But yeah, Fauci 's counsel is likely to be way, way better than Makary's.

"alleged actions"???? some sort of right wing anti-science tripe? or do you mean something else?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

A surgeon.

Of course not.

I mean, take Fauci... I don't know what his bona fides are (nor do I care) but his messaging and alleged actions throughout and leading up to this pandemic, have been a mess.
Just curious...if you know NADA about Fauci before the current situation as you claim, exactly how can you make such a critical statement/judgement about his expertise and knowledge of public health and virology?

How do you feel about Dr. Jonas Salk or Dr. Albert Sabin? Can we assume you took one of their vaccines for polio without any hesitancy or issue with their expertise?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:51 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:24 am

~ there is no Biden Derangement Syndrome ~

Calling him "Sleepy" or 'demented' as so many right wingers have said is only one sign of BDS. The daily attacks and lies made about him are even worse.

~ totalitarians ~

Your hero tRump is the closest thing to Hitler that we've ever had. Anyone who dares to stray from his demands is attacked and blacklisted. This is worse than anything we saw under McCarthy. Then he incites a riot in Washington DC just like Hitler beer hall putsch but as with his spread of the plague, he refuses to take responsibility for it.

~ America is no different than other countries. ~

USA is # 1 in deaths thanks to the delusionalism of tRump and his cultists. Compare to Canada where the government under liberal Trudeau took effective measures to limit the spread of the tRump plague. This is what we should have done in the USA to enjoy freedom from death and debilitation.

~ Dr Makary ~

Better to heed Dr Fauci. We will all be safer for doing so.

Your freedom sounds like totalitarianism. Should children report on their maskless parents to a new agency of Nonconformists?

I actually don’t know anyone who calls Joe ‘sleepy’. I don’t think he’s too bright, and he clearly exhibits signs of dementia, but we are stuck with him til 2024, unless he drops out.

Trump, for all his warts, sure did elevate dozens of strict constitutionalists to the federal bench. You’d think if he was dead set on being an authoritarian, he’d have nominated lunatics who barely look at case law...100 rightist Sotomajors would do that trick.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Kismet wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:02 am

A surgeon.

Of course not.

Just curious...if you know NADA about Fauci before the current situation as you claim, exactly how can you make such a critical statement/judgement about his expertise and knowledge of public health and virology?

How do you feel about Dr. Jonas Salk or Dr. Albert Sabin? Can we assume you took one of their vaccines for polio without any hesitancy or issue with their expertise?

Polio vaccines were tried for over 15 years before Salk discovered his. And then there were two years from his discovery to mass distribution. Also a few people were paralyzed from the vaccine.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ needless massive deaths is the ultimate example of totalitarianism - thank you tRump and cultists
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:01 am

A surgeon.

Of course not.

Well, actually you really should care about what Fauci's "bona fides" are. It matters.
Nope. It matters in your world not mine.

Sure, some of his communication has been confusing. I was very, very critical of the no need to wear a mask messaging early on, but it seemed pretty obvious, pretty quickly, that it was an effort to make sure the hospitals had enough PPE in the face of an Admin that was unwilling to put full resources behind testing and mask production, instead relying on "private" business.

Mistake IMO.

And it was clear that Fauci was being prevented from being the direct conduit of info, given the enormous ego of the POTUS. Mistake by POTUS.

But yeah, Fauci 's counsel is likely to be way, way better than Makary's.
Based on his lousy record, including lies, I doubt that.

"alleged actions"???? some sort of right wing anti-science tripe? or do you mean something else?
"anti-science"... c'mon mdlax, that is such f'ing lame BS.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:07 am ^ needless massive deaths is the ultimate example of totalitarianism - thank you tRump and cultists

It will hurt you to learn that socialism has caused more ‘unnecessary deaths’ than any virus by a factor of about infinity, give or take.

https://www.heritage.org/progressivism/ ... -socialism

Return to “POLITICS”