New Pro Women's League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cagekeeper

Re: New Pro Women's League

Post by Cagekeeper »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:56 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:35 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:01 pm Thought Ella Simkins got shorted being named third team AA last year, am more so convinced of that watching her today.
Very steady player, solid.
Team Ohmiller was the best of the day, looked like a team that had played together longer than they have, might have looked to be in the best shape too. Hot day, players look a bit on the gassed side.
Two takeaways from watching game today:
Tremor best player out there on all 4 teams .
Ohlmiller - too many turnovers tries to be too fancy
Overrated

Have always felt that way about KO but seeing it this weekend.
Not that it matters …shes the face of lacrosse so…
I think Charlotte North is a much better face. Better level of skill and talent plus she came through for her team in the big games.
Traenor is ridiculous! Cuse girls are very lucky. Think it should be a fun ride
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

CN will soon be the face if she is not already. Natty Champ, Tewaaraton, All Time Goals Record and has about 4x more instagram followers than other great players (+10k more than KO).
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

It's extremely hard for players to stay as relevant after their college careers are done. Even if they are still involved in the game through brand sponsorships, the national team, coaching, professional leagues - the top players in the college game are the ones in the spotlight because the college game is the biggest platform for the sport. These top players enjoy the privilege of being the "face of the game" for a very short amount of time, and it's not their fault.

You can only replay CN's highlights so many times after she graduates before they become overused and have to compete with the highlights of the current season. Same goes for all of them - KO, Taylor Cummings, Kayla Treanor, Sam Apuzzo, Marie McCool, etc. They're still great ambassadors for the game, but there's always the next generation that's playing on the biggest stage. A lot of them are still relevant, but it's been nearly impossible to maintain the same level of popularity that they had in college. Maybe CN's social media following will temper that. DMac said it earlier, I'm just glad we get to watch these players play again.

Also, CN set the record for goals in a single season with 102, not career/all-time goals. Courtney Murphy still holds that record with 341, CN sits at 266 including the 23 goals from the canceled 2020 season, so she's within range to eclipse that, but hasn't yet.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:37 pm It's extremely hard for players to stay as relevant after their college careers are done. Even if they are still involved in the game through brand sponsorships, the national team, coaching, professional leagues - the top players in the college game are the ones in the spotlight because the college game is the biggest platform for the sport. These top players enjoy the privilege of being the "face of the game" for a very short amount of time, and it's not their fault.

You can only replay CN's highlights so many times after she graduates before they become overused and have to compete with the highlights of the current season. Same goes for all of them - KO, Taylor Cummings, Kayla Treanor, Sam Apuzzo, Marie McCool, etc. They're still great ambassadors for the game, but there's always the next generation that's playing on the biggest stage. A lot of them are still relevant, but it's been nearly impossible to maintain the same level of popularity that they had in college. Maybe CN's social media following will temper that. DMac said it earlier, I'm just glad we get to watch these players play again.

Also, CN set the record for goals in a single season with 102, not career/all-time goals. Courtney Murphy still holds that record with 341, CN sits at 266 including the 23 goals from the canceled 2020 season, so she's within range to eclipse that, but hasn't yet.
So true. Brief shining lights before dimming into relative obscurity to make room for the next torch bearers.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Damn it!!! Dog sitting, missed the games. Team Ohmiller and all those Cuse gals win again?
He's a handsome boy, no?
His two favorite things on the face of the Earth, tennis ball and water.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:15 pm
He's a handsome boy, no?
Very handsome!!! And the two complement each other quite nicely - nothing like laying in some water to cool off after chasing that tennis ball. Reminds me of my golden retriever who passed last year just before the lockdown. I swear chasing that tennis ball all day every day was the reason she lived to 15!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Watched two of the games today and they were…fun. Kinda chaotic. The skills are off the charts. The whole points festival… I could do without. But the lax was fun to watch.
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:15 pm
He's a handsome boy, no?
Very handsome!!! And the two complement each other quite nicely - nothing like laying in some water to cool off after chasing that tennis ball. Reminds me of my golden retriever who passed last year just before the lockdown. I swear chasing that tennis ball all day every day was the reason she lived to 15!
Sorry to hear that, w20, that's the trouble with dogs, in the end they rip your heart out.
This guy is an absolute ballaholic which I love. Check this video out from another thread, he does eventually give it to the pitcher. He'll toss the ball to you like that all day but hasn't made the connection to put it in the bucket. Must figure that's your job....fun dog.
DMac wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:59 pm Been trying to figure out how to do this forever, this might work.
Son's dog, he's the best. Hang in there, he does get it to the pitcher.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... JBWVNZT1hn
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Awesome.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:20 pm
Sorry to hear that, w20, that's the trouble with dogs, in the end they rip your heart out.
This guy is an absolute ballaholic which I love. Check this video out from another thread, he does eventually give it to the pitcher. He'll toss the ball to you like that all day but hasn't made the connection to put it in the bucket. Must figure that's your job....fun dog.
DMac wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:59 pm Been trying to figure out how to do this forever, this might work.
Son's dog, he's the best. Hang in there, he does get it to the pitcher.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... JBWVNZT1hn

Thanks DMac, I appreciate it! Great video & great dog
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I watched and it wasn't bad, but I'm not making this a regular thing. I have a lot of questions about how players were selected to be in the draft, why are there and were any players from "other divisions" allowed to try out, why are the Black players ALL primarily on defense?? I would love to get some answers to these questions.

I still don't see the market or audience for Women's Lacrosse at the Professional level. Let's see what the viewer numbers are and what the attendance looks like. I think watching Women's Lacrosse on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday, 30 miles from DC(how many times did Beninati say THAT? :lol: ), in humid hot weather, when people are trying to get out and about because last Summer was still a lockdown because of the Pandemic...is a very tall order.

We shall see!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Larry, methinks you're complicating things and focusing on the negatives. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Some people are giving pro wlax a shot, seeing if they can make something of it. It aint gonna be perfect, mistakes will be made, lessons learned, improvements made. Meanwhile fans like me can enjoy the moment, appreciate it for what it is, and get to see these girls play again (and the list of who is playing is staggering). Looking at it that way makes it enjoyable, I'm not analyzing it just watching and appreciating it.
Must say, I do not like the black girls only playing defense comment/insinuation. I'd like to think I'm right in saying these girls are being put in positions to best help their teams, and what color they are is incidental. JMHO.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I'm sure when immensely talented UConn midfielder Sydney Watson and Syracuse attacker Emma Ward et al. graduate, if there is a pro league in existence, they'll be on the field scoring goals.

I started writing this and decided to skim the world wide web in search of other black women in women's lacrosse and found this:

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... e-recruits

Interesting to note most blue chip recruits are on the defensive side of the ball. Anyone ever seen Trinity McPherson play defense for Johns Hopkins? She's someone special to watch. She has a real knack for intercepting passes in the air. I'm not talking about getting her crosse in the way of a pass, knocking it down and scooping the GB, I'm talking about clean interceptions and "we're going the other way". Her sister Madison also plays for Hop and enters her junior year in '22.

Also, the sport is being introduced in really non-heretofore-hotbeds like Harlem, NY. There will soon be a harvest and it will be fascinating to see the talent emerging there.
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

Week 1 highlights put together by Lacrosse Allstars.

Some goals got repeated in this clip and not the best quality.
https://youtu.be/G9UwYUGINNI

AU has all alot of goals in better quality but not put together.

https://youtube.com/c/AthletesUnlimited
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:15 pm Damn it!!! Dog sitting, missed the games. Team Ohmiller and all those Cuse gals win again?
He's a handsome boy, no?
Handsome lad, but based on this photo, spring comes awful late to upstate. Don't let "Cuse recruits figure that out until they've committed.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, that was early Spring. The no leaves part is kinda nice, I've hit squirrels in that hedgerow from where the tree is with my 30-30....that's 102 yds, have walked it off. I'm sayin' that's some pretty good shootin'. :D
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:50 pm Yup, that was early Spring. The no leaves part is kinda nice, I've hit squirrels in that hedgerow from where the tree is with my 30-30....that's 102 yds, have walked it off. I'm sayin' that's some pretty good shootin'. :D
ahhh, DMac, you need to regale us with some squirrel cooking tips...soak'em in milk...?

Handsome Lab!
We've had black labs most of my life, make great hunter/family dogs. Some people think they can only be one or the other, but we never had any problem with our family labs being terrific bird dogs as well.

Right now we just have some rescue mutts with the run of the property...they're way more interested in chasing squirrels than birds, woodchucks too! Sweet dogs, but vicious squirrel chasers.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I went on a tear with those things some years back, tried cooking them a couple of different ways. Best recipe I've got is to give them to the barn cats, they love 'em filleted and the 30-30 does a nice job of that. Some people like them but I'm not one of them, not worth screwing around with. Hit a turkey over there once too....now that IS worth screwing around with, wild turkey is delicious.
Labs are good dogs, this guy's a good one. The world's a playground, everything is a toy, and they like everyone. I like the ballaholic part too. Have a had a couple of GSDs, great dogs for the right owner (I am) too.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:24 pm Larry, methinks you're complicating things and focusing on the negatives. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Some people are giving pro wlax a shot, seeing if they can make something of it. It aint gonna be perfect, mistakes will be made, lessons learned, improvements made. Meanwhile fans like me can enjoy the moment, appreciate it for what it is, and get to see these girls play again (and the list of who is playing is staggering). Looking at it that way makes it enjoyable, I'm not analyzing it just watching and appreciating it.
Must say, I do not like the black girls only playing defense comment/insinuation. I'd like to think I'm right in saying these girls are being put in positions to best help their teams, and what color they are is incidental. JMHO.

Okay DMac...here we go. I wanted to take a day and step back before I responded to your post.
I'm not complicating anything. Those questions that I asked are ALL legit questions. If you don't know the answers, that's okay because I really didn't expect anyone to REALLY know.
Did you give those other two Pro leagues for Women's Lacrosse a chance? I went to 3 of those games. I remember the disappointment in watching young players(club teams) basically ignoring "the Pros", but I wasn't surprised. I have seen this same thing for years when it comes to the NCAA tournament. The people that play the game DO NOT SUPPORT the game. Women don't support Women. Look at the WNBA, Why hasn't Women's Pro Soccer exploded with the success of the US Women's National team? Look at all the youth female Soccer players, and they can't make Pro Women's Soccer big? The direction and desire to do so is not there. That's not focusing on the negative, that's stating the facts and telling it as it is. Maybe Col. Nathan Jessep was right..."You Can't Handle the Truth!"

DMac you said the following : "Must say, I do not like the black girls only playing defense comment/insinuation. I'd like to think I'm right in saying these girls are being put in positions to best help their teams, and what color they are is incidental. JMHO".

I read this first and I laughed...then I got angry. Why? You have ZERO clue as to why I would state that FACT out in the open like that, but you have no problem telling me you don't like it. With all respect, I don't care if you don't like it. I'm not lying, just being honest. I can tell you that you're not right when you say "these girls are being put in positions to best help their teams, and what color they are is incidental". Maybe...but not really!
I love this sport, but I have been dealing with the reality of it for a long time. They have color issues on the Men's side as well, but the women's side is farther behind. I could tell you things that would make your "incidental" remark look ridiculous.

Believe it or not, I watched all six games last weekend. I still don't think the interest or market is there, but I made my contribution. However, I am not going to buy into any of this blindly when the facts and numbers tell me otherwise.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:15 pm Damn it!!! Dog sitting, missed the games. Team Ohmiller and all those Cuse gals win again?
He's a handsome boy, no?
His two favorite things on the face of the Earth, tennis ball and water.

Goodlooking Dog.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”