New Pro Women's League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: New Pro Women's League

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:00 pm I imagine there will be many with a lot of criticisms...league can't make it, 10v10 makes it too much like the men's game, shorter field....etc. For myself, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Fast moving game, very few whistles, very good D, very good stickwork, passing, shooting. Don't care about re-choosing of teams, whether or not the league will make it...etc, just enjoy watching these gals play. Absolutely terrific players, enjoyed seeing Halle play again, Treanor too, as well as others. It's fun to watch in my book.
All valid points. I respect your opinion and I wish the league and the players success. Two more games tomorrow and then two more again on Sunday. If I remember hearing right, they'll follow that pattern for another 4 weeks after this one, so a good bunch of games still to come. Here's the full schedule:

https://auprosports.com/lacrosse/schedule/2021/
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thought Ella Simkins got shorted being named third team AA last year, am more so convinced of that watching her today.
Very steady player, solid.
Team Ohmiller was the best of the day, looked like a team that had played together longer than they have, might have looked to be in the best shape too. Hot day, players look a bit on the gassed side.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:01 pm Thought Ella Simkins got shorted being named third team AA last year, am more so convinced of that watching her today.
Team Ohmiller was the best of the day, looked like a team that had played together longer than they have, might have looked to be in the best shape too. Hot day, players look a bit on the gassed side.
Simkins has been EXCELLENT today. Very gritty and tenacious. And Team Ohlmiller did look great, they’re full of offensive weapons
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Honest question. Is this considered warding?

https://twitter.com/marylandwlax/status ... 27013?s=21
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

cltlax wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:41 pm Honest question. Is this considered warding?

By definition… I think so. However I don’t recall ever seeing warding called?
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Caylee Waters, Ella Simkins, and Taylor Cummings named MVP. Well deserved!!
OuttaNowhereWregget

cltlax wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:41 pm Honest question. Is this considered warding?

That's a picture perfect example of warding.

From the NCAA 2020 and 2021 Women’s Lacrosse Rules Book p. 52

RULE 6 Fouls and Penalty Administration Fouls

SECTION 1.

t. Warding Off: Guarding the stick with an arm. If one hand is removed from the stick, the free hand may not be used to ward off an opponent, deliberately or otherwise, with or without contact. Elbows may not be used to protect the stick.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... /WLC20.pdf

Also saw a wicked dangerous follow through on Majorana's 2nd goal. I didn't note who was covering Halle at the time but she grabbed her arm immediately and was obviously in some pain. One thing you can know of a certainty, no one's trying to draw a penalty on the inaugural day of play in a new league. I don't know what all are the defined penalties in the new league. There's no rule book that I can find on the main website:

https://auprosports.com/lacrosse/
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:06 am

That's a picture perfect example of warding.

From the NCAA 2020 and 2021 Women’s Lacrosse Rules Book p. 52

RULE 6 Fouls and Penalty Administration Fouls

SECTION 1.

t. Warding Off: Guarding the stick with an arm. If one hand is removed from the stick, the free hand may not be used to ward off an opponent, deliberately or otherwise, with or without contact. Elbows may not be used to protect the stick.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... /WLC20.pdf

Also saw a wicked dangerous follow through on Majorana's 2nd goal. I didn't note who was covering Halle at the time but she grabbed her arm immediately and was obviously in some pain. One thing you can know of a certainty, no one's trying to draw a penalty on the inaugural day of play in a new league. I don't know what all are the defined penalties in the new league. There's no rule book that I can find on the main website:

https://auprosports.com/lacrosse/
I’m serious when I say this… the gentleman announcer said dangerous follow through is a red card… not sure if he meant yellow or if he genuinely means a player will be ejected for dangerous follow through :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

glaxer24 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:15 am I’m serious when I say this… the gentleman announcer said dangerous follow through is a red card… not sure if he meant yellow or if he genuinely means a player will be ejected for dangerous follow through :lol:
Yeah--Joe Beninati. He must have zoned out and got mixed up. Not as much lately but he has called women's lacrosse games on TV for years and years.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Absolutely!! Should have been called.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:06 am

In the NCAA, without a doubt--but who knows what constitutes a foul in the new league? They let a brutal dangerous follow through occur earlier in the game, as well.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:52 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:06 am

In the NCAA, without a doubt--but who knows what constitutes a foul in the new league? They let a brutal dangerous follow through occur earlier in the game, as well.
Okay, let's not get crazy with the language and description. 'Brutal Dangerous' are not two words I would string together...unless I was talking about a Trump Speech at a Trump Rally. :P :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

They really let these girls bang around, I couldn't figure out what was legal and what wasn't/isn't. The purists are going to hate a lot about this game. Again, I wasn't watching with a this isn't going to make it attitude, just an in the moment kind of game and enjoying watching these superb players showcase their talents. Incredible players from end to end.
As for the Apuzzo (crazy good player) ward; is the defender allowed to put her stick on the O player's arm like that, or was that actually a hold (would have had a FPS anyway) before the ward?
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:38 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:52 am who knows what constitutes a foul in the new league? They let a brutal dangerous follow through occur earlier in the game, as well.
Okay, let's not get crazy with the language and description. 'Brutal Dangerous' are not two words I would string together...unless I was talking about a Trump Speech at a Trump Rally. :P :lol:
I'm just going off what I saw. It looks like defender Tianna Wallpher (#3) took a good whack on the follow through. I used the word brutal from Wallpher's reaction after the shot. I edited the clip in question with not a great piece of camerawork from the broadcast. I include the unedited piece at the end.

Either of these rules is applicable here:

Mandatory Card Fouls
SECTION 21. The following fouls necessitate the issuance of a card:

b. Dangerous Follow-Through: Following through with their stick in a
dangerous or uncontrolled manner at any time.

c. Dangerous Propelling: Propelling the ball with their stick in a dangerous
or uncontrolled manner at any time. Any shot directed at or taken without
regard to the positioning of a field player is dangerous propelling.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:19 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:38 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:52 am who knows what constitutes a foul in the new league? They let a brutal dangerous follow through occur earlier in the game, as well.
I'm just going off what I saw. It looks like defender Tianna Wallpher (#3) took a good whack on the follow through. I used the word brutal from Wallpher's reaction after the shot. I edited the clip in question with not a great piece of camerawork from the broadcast. I include the unedited piece at the end.

Either of these rules is applicable here:

Mandatory Card Fouls
SECTION 21. The following fouls necessitate the issuance of a card:

b. Dangerous Follow-Through: Following through with their stick in a
dangerous or uncontrolled manner at any time.

c. Dangerous Propelling: Propelling the ball with their stick in a dangerous
or uncontrolled manner at any time. Any shot directed at or taken without
regard to the positioning of a field player is dangerous propelling.

I know the rules, but thanks anyway. My previous statement stands.
totc

Post by totc »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:49 am They really let these girls bang around, I couldn't figure out what was legal and what wasn't/isn't. The purists are going to hate a lot about this game. Again, I wasn't watching with a this isn't going to make it attitude, just an in the moment kind of game and enjoying watching these superb players showcase their talents. Incredible players from end to end.
As for the Apuzzo (crazy good player) ward; is the defender allowed to put her stick on the O player's arm like that, or was that actually a hold (would have had a FPS anyway) before the ward?
Welcome to women's pro lax. They did this same thing ever since the UWLX started in 2016. Lots of collisions in the goalmouth and gasps from the fans, as if to say, "They're going to allow THAT?"
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, I've watched as much pro wlax as I've been able to find on TV/streamed since it first came around and I've liked it all. Funny thing is, with the banging around and THAT being allowed, I believe that's the way most young girls want to play the game, and I sure could be wrong about that. Have mentioned several times that when I first started coming around these parts I didn't like wlax at all (minus the passing and running). Of course, this was before the rule changes (and they've drastically changed the game) when it was a stop every eight steps game and all the repositioning was going on. I asked several girls, am guessing 30-50, HS and college age, most of them were ball players...lacrosse, hoops, volleyball, softball...that if they had their choice to play mlax or wlax rules what would they choose. The vast majority, and I'd say 90+%, of them said mlax rules, and several of them said they quit playing wlax because they just didn't like the game (and it wasn't about the sticks). Of course when I put that on here (LP) I got my asz handed to me and was given a lesson on the safety factor in wlax (which I really wasn't aware of) and its being a game of finesse with no banging around. I do believe that the rule changes and allowing a little rougher game is attracting more girls to wlax. I don't ever want to see it become mlax being played by women but I do believe this new version of wlax will bring more and more girls to the game who wouldn't have played it in the past.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:47 pm Yup, I've watched as much pro wlax as I've been able to find on TV/streamed since it first came around and I've liked it all. Funny thing is, with the banging around and THAT being allowed, I believe that's the way most young girls want to play the game
The Schneidereith sisters bear you out on that. I’m pretty sure Meaghan Tyrrell and Megan Carney expressed similar sentiments when they sat down with Sheehan last season as well.

Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:01 pm Thought Ella Simkins got shorted being named third team AA last year, am more so convinced of that watching her today.
Two takeaways from watching game today:
Tremor best player out there on all 4 teams .
Ohlmiller - too many turnovers tries to be too fancy
Overrated

Have always felt that way about KO but seeing it this weekend.
Not that it matters …shes the face of lacrosse so…
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:35 pm
Two takeaways from watching game today:
Tremor best player out there on all 4 teams .
Ohlmiller - too many turnovers tries to be too fancy
Overrated

Have always felt that way about KO but seeing it this weekend.
Not that it matters …shes the face of lacrosse so…
I think Charlotte North is a much better face. Better level of skill and talent plus she came through for her team in the big games.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”