Re: Syracuse

Post by Bart »

It appears Ms Swart will return to Syracuse to use her 5th
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

hofstrapride1 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:55 am
Cagekeeper wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:42 am
hofstrapride1 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:28 am https://twitter.com/JoeSpallina/status/ ... 81731?s=20

This tweet from Spallina last Friday about adding a new top scorer likely means he is not leaving Stony Brook for Cuse. As a Hofstra fan I wish he would :)
I heard SS may be speaking to a few aces of her own
I hope so! Definitely some unique opportunities to land impact graduate school transfers with the extra COVID year of eligibility.
Why a grad with one year left. Better off with someone with a few years left
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Bart wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:38 pm It appears Ms Swart will return to Syracuse to use her 5th
Excellent.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

"I look forward to winning a national championship with my 2022 team."

--Samantha Swart

I don't get this new making predictions thing in women's lacrosse. Seems incongruous. But it's a thing in Syracuse these days. The kinda sorta prediction for 2021 self destructed and failed in the end. Now a new prediction. I haven't known many sports figures past Muhammad Ali and Joe Namath who have successfully predicted a win in a championship game. Most times, the prediction turns out to be a mild embarrassment. Mark Messier successfully predicted a win over Jersey in game 6 back in 1994. But most times it's a sure way to jinx oneself or ones team. In this case especially, when BC and Carolina play in your conference, to predict a national championship seems ill advised at best, and plain silly at worst. There's a big upheaval happening in Syracuse these days with a change in coaching. As was said by someone else in one thread or another, because Gait was such a laid back coach, it would have been difficult to bring in Spallina who is more of a disciplined, structured coach. Or they'll bring someone in (permanently) who will do things the way Gait did and there will be more laid back undisciplined play. So either way, it will be a tall order for Syracuse to get back to championship weekend, let alone win the whole thing. Talent alone doesn't guarantee anything. You can ask Jenny Levy about that.

Syracuse winning a national championship in 2022? I don't see it.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:18 am "I look forward to winning a national championship with my 2022 team."

--Samantha Swart

I don't get this new making predictions thing in women's lacrosse. Seems incongruous. But it's a thing in Syracuse these days. The kinda sorta prediction for 2021 self destructed and failed in the end. Now a new prediction. I haven't known many sports figures past Muhammad Ali and Joe Namath who have successfully predicted a win in a championship game. Most times, the prediction turns out to be a mild embarrassment. Mark Messier successfully predicted a win over Jersey in game 6 back in 1994. But most times it's a sure way to jinx oneself or ones team. In this case especially, when BC and Carolina play in your conference, to predict a national championship seems ill advised at best, and plain silly at worst. There's a big upheaval happening in Syracuse these days with a change in coaching. As was said by someone else in one thread or another, because Gait was such a laid back coach, it would have been difficult to bring in Spallina who is more of a disciplined, structured coach. Or they'll bring someone in (permanently) who will do things the way Gait did and there will be more laid back undisciplined play. So either way, it will be a tall order for Syracuse to get back to championship weekend, let alone win the whole thing. Talent alone doesn't guarantee anything. You can ask Jenny Levy about that.

Re UNC : Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.” -Tim Notke….Talent on UNC didn’t all work hard enough.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:50 am Re UNC : Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.” -Tim Notke….Talent on UNC didn’t all work hard enough.
Oooooo—that’s compelling. Which part of the team slacked or checked out mentally? Ever since I heard Cara Trombetta talk about players who check out mentally when the Tourney starts I can’t help but think that is often a factor when teams with high expectations fail to deliver.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:54 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:50 am Re UNC : Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.” -Tim Notke….Talent on UNC didn’t all work hard enough.
Oooooo—that’s compelling. Which part of the team slacked or checked out mentally? Ever since I heard Cara Trombetta talk about players who check out mentally when the Tourney starts I can’t help but think that is often a factor when teams with high expectations fail to deliver.
You cannot excuse coaching from the equation and I am more like likely to roll out this little gem in this case: a fish rots from the head.

(and re: Trombetta here's another little ditty: pot meet the kettle, you are black!)
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:50 am
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:18 am "I look forward to winning a national championship with my 2022 team."

--Samantha Swart

Re UNC : Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.” -Tim Notke….Talent on UNC didn’t all work hard enough.
Sorry mate, just plain silly. Care to point out which members of UNC did not work hard enough? They lost by 1 in the national semi-finals. It happens in sports.

Ball bounces a different way a couple of times and the score turns out differently. Suddenly all the students-athletes all worked hard enough? Yes, this is a hypothetical but it is basically what you are saying.

Are you still not taking the gummy bear bet?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:37 am

--Samantha Swart

Sorry mate, just plain silly. Care to point out which members of UNC did not work hard enough? They lost by 1 in the national semi-finals. It happens in sports.

Ball bounces a different way a couple of times and the score turns out differently. Suddenly all the students-athletes all worked hard enough? Yes, this is a hypothetical but it is basically what you are saying.

They shot 10/35 with middies alone shooting 2/14
HofstraAndrewPride

Post by HofstraAndrewPride »

Cagekeeper wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm
hofstrapride1 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:28 am https://twitter.com/JoeSpallina/status/ ... 81731?s=20

This tweet from Spallina last Friday about adding a new top scorer likely means he is not leaving Stony Brook for Cuse. As a Hofstra fan I wish he would :)
I hope so! Definitely some unique opportunities to land impact graduate school transfers with the extra COVID year of eligibility.
Of course better off with a few years left, but my point is that many players with an extra year now while they are in grad school may choose to go to a school like Hofstra for their masters so is unique opportunity.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:37 am They lost by 1 in the national semi-finals. It happens in sports.

Ball bounces a different way a couple of times and the score turns out differently.
That’s a little misleading. BC had a 5 goal lead halfway through the 2nd half. Carolina scored a garbage goal with one second left.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:42 am
Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:37 am

--Samantha Swart

They shot 10/35 with middies alone shooting 2/14
Having a bad shooting day is now not working hard enough? Bad shooting days happen. You shoot poorly, start pressing and shoot even worse. Add a good saves at critical times and there you go.

So again if the middies now go 4/14 they have worked hard enough? To me that just seems silly.

In my experience, long ago, tournament times brought the desire to work even harder.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:06 am
Bart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:37 am They lost by 1 in the national semi-finals. It happens in sports.

Ball bounces a different way a couple of times and the score turns out differently.
That’s a little misleading. BC had a 5 goal lead halfway through the 2nd half. Carolina scored a garbage goal with one second left.
Ok. They scored with a second left. Might suggest they were working hard right to the end?
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

HofstraAndrewPride wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:50 am
Cagekeeper wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm

Of course better off with a few years left, but my point is that many players with an extra year now while they are in grad school may choose to go to a school like Hofstra for their masters so is unique opportunity.
agreed but pricey option
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cletus wrote

--Samantha Swart
What is it you don't get about this? The commitment, dedication, hard work, sacrifice, and daring to dream big and shoot for the stars by a player/team/coach to make this their objective? This girl was sitting in the penalty box in tears as the clock wound down to zeros and her team came up short in the NC game. She wants to fix that. What's hard to understand there? How many coaches and players have you heard say their objective is to win the NC? What did Wurzburger say her objective was when she decided to go to UNC? If you don't think, practice, and play like a NC you'll never become one. It doesn't guarantee a NC but not dreaming and shooting for it guarantees you won't ever be one.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:14 am
Cletus wrote

--Samantha Swart
What is it you don't get about this? The commitment, dedication, hard work, sacrifice, and daring to dream big and shoot for the stars by a player/team/coach to make this their objective? This girl was sitting in the penalty box in tears as the clock wound down to zeros and her team came up short in the NC game. She wants to fix that. What's hard to understand there? How many coaches and players have you heard say their objective is to win the NC? What did Wurzburger say her objective was when she decided to go to UNC? If you don't think, practice, and play like a NC you'll never become one. It doesn't guarantee a NC but not dreaming and shooting for it guarantees you won't ever be one.
+1.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Cletus wrote

--Samantha Swart
Par usual, you misinterpret my words. Sometimes I wonder if it’s intentional. A careful reading of my original post demonstrates the distinction you’re looking for.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Cletus wrote

--Samantha Swart
Agreed. I can almost guarantee you that nobody talked more internally about winning a NC this season than BC and probably Charlotte North specifically.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:54 am Oooooo—that’s compelling. Which part of the team slacked or checked out mentally? Ever since I heard Cara Trombetta talk about players who check out mentally when the Tourney starts I can’t help but think that is often a factor when teams with high expectations fail to deliver.
Where did you see this? I'd like to hear it if I can find it.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”