Syracuse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Idontknowtherules

Re: Syracuse

Post by Idontknowtherules »

So what do we think happens to pirreca. Stay. Go.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:17 am So what do we think happens to pirreca. Stay. Go.
If you had to guess, what would you say?
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:42 pm
Idontknowtherules wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:17 am So what do we think happens to pirreca. Stay. Go.
I would say. Depends on who the new coach is ☺️
Spallina. She stays. Anyone else. Prob not
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Return to play after ACL surgery has been closer to 10 months with current return to play protocols. Returning sooner significantly increases your risk of a recurrent ACL tear.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:46 pm
It would be interesting to see who Joe picked for his staff. Sydney Pirreca was a Spallina type player. A tireless worker and a fireplug in the tradition of KO and Kennedy. They seem made for each other in that regard, but I don't know what she's like as a coach.

(Was it Sydney or Shayna who did the shimmy shake with her shoulders on her way back to the draw circle after she scored?)
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:01 pm
It would be interesting to see who Joe picked for his staff. Sydney Pirreca was a Spallina type player. A tireless worker and a fireplug in the tradition of KO and Kennedy. They seem made for each other in that regard, but I don't know what she's like as a coach.

(Was it Sydney or Shayna who did the shimmy shake with her shoulders on her way back to the draw circle after she scored?)
that was shayna
She prob would stay. Mt Sinai girl. As far as how she is as a coach. That’s a question for the players 🧐
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Still keeping that Spallina thing going aren't you? I guess we will see, but I don't see it.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:53 am

Still keeping that Spallina thing going aren't you? I guess we will see, but I don't see it.
I don’t see it
Cletus

Will the Orange DNA change now that Gait's moved on?

Post by Cletus »

It will be interesting to see if the Orange DNA changes now that Gary Gait has departed. Even a casual lacrosse fan watching Syracuse over the years will have noticed da Cuse's penchant for self-destructing with stupid penalties and turnovers--especially in da postseason.

Because of the nifty feature with YouTube TV, a number of former NCAA championship games were broadcast and automatically recorded. One of them was the 2014 final between Maryland and Syracuse. As I watched the replay, I found it interesting, though not surprising, that the 2014 version of Syracuse was as undisciplined and unwise as the 2021 version. Yet again in the late stages of a game, Syracuse committed stupid fouls and careless turnovers to shoot themselves in the foot. It was also interesting to note the amount of fouls committed by Maryland that the refs missed or overlooked whereas it seemed like every time Syracuse committed a foul they were nailed for it. Something about Maryland makes the lacrosse world fawning and obsequious and perpetually kissing the tortoise shell ring. I hope that happy crappy comes to an end, and soon.

2022 begins a whole new chapter in Syracuse Orange women's lacrosse. We'll find out soon enough if their habits change...
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I've been an ardent Cuse fan for many years now, and have experienced all of the frustrations that a fan can experience, many of those episodes due to mishaps and bad judgment calls. A few years ago, it seemed like every single clear was an adventure. But focusing on these errors and mishaps alone is a crabbed way of looking at Gait's teams and the sport more generally.

Gary's teams also won a lot of games because kids -- and remember, whether one likes it or not, we are dealing with young people -- were willing and authorized to try things out and make plays. It is, or was, the allure of coming to Syracuse to lay -- freedom to compose on the big green palette and play a style of play that is, or was, physical and innovative. It was a style that Gait and his kids to several final fours and two finals. I'll miss seeing him on the sidelines with the women, and hope that whoever takes the reins can bridge whatever gap there was under Gary between disciplined lacrosse and innovative playmaking, but keep the wide open style alive.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:28 am I've been an ardent Cuse fan for many years now, and have experienced all of the frustrations that a fan can experience, many of those episodes due to mishaps and bad judgment calls. A few years ago, it seemed like every single clear was an adventure. But focusing on these errors and mishaps alone is a crabbed way of looking at Gait's teams and the sport more generally.

Gary's teams also won a lot of games because kids -- and remember, whether one likes it or not, we are dealing with young people -- were willing and authorized to try things out and make plays. It is, or was, the allure of coming to Syracuse to lay -- freedom to compose on the big green palette and play a style of play that is, or was, physical and innovative. It was a style that Gait and his kids to several final fours and two finals. I'll miss seeing him on the sidelines with the women, and hope that whoever takes the reins can bridge whatever gap there was under Gary between disciplined lacrosse and innovative playmaking, but keep the wide open style alive.
Exactly, when my D’s were looking at colleges that was a selling point…creativity, and that laid back style.
I believe Spallina will still be coach yes . If not it’s because SYR admin bowed down to alumni pressure . I believe there were seeking a high profile coach for the program.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:48 am
seacoaster wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:28 am I've been an ardent Cuse fan for many years now, and have experienced all of the frustrations that a fan can experience, many of those episodes due to mishaps and bad judgment calls. A few years ago, it seemed like every single clear was an adventure. But focusing on these errors and mishaps alone is a crabbed way of looking at Gait's teams and the sport more generally.

Exactly, when my D’s were looking at colleges that was a selling point…creativity, and that laid back style.
I believe Spallina will still be coach yes . If not it’s because SYR admin bowed down to alumni pressure . I believe there were seeking a high profile coach for the program.
I’ll take that bet. Give me you odds on Spallina as coach. 3:1 DMAc’s gummy’s?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Bart wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:00 am

Last week I would have taken that bet. Now I’m not so sure. I think they may bow down to getting a Syracuse alum/female coach.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:24 am

Last week I would have taken that bet. Now I’m not so sure. I think they may bow down to getting a Syracuse alum/female coach.
Bow down? You are making a bunch of assumptions there. Could it be it he did want the job and did interview, someone was just better?

C'mon, take the bet.......
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Bart wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:29 am

Bow down? You are making a bunch of assumptions there. Could it be it he did want the job and did interview, someone was just better?

I don’t mean it disparagingly, I’m saying I believe they had JS in mind for some time but received a lot of backlash in regards to wanting a Syracuse alumni . And there’s no way he wouldn’t want that job.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:32 am

I don’t mean it disparagingly, I’m saying I believe they had JS in mind for some time but received a lot of backlash in regards to wanting a Syracuse alumni . And there’s no way he wouldn’t want that job.
Didn't think you did mean it that way. It was the assumption of many here he was being considered and he did want that job. Everyone except Larry who is fairly, from my understanding, plugged into the LI lacrosse culture.

I guess we will see shortly
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Bart wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:32 am

Didn't think you did mean it that way. It was the assumption of many here he was being considered and he did want that job. Everyone except Larry who is fairly, from my understanding, plugged into the LI lacrosse culture.

I guess we will see shortly
I wonder if they take into consideration how the current roster would respond to JS. It will be interesting to see. Gaits style is very laid back which the team is used to. Someone new will come in blazing. They’ll have something to prove. Roster changes will also be interesting. Wonder if any girls are a little nervous
hofstrapride1

Post by hofstrapride1 »

https://twitter.com/JoeSpallina/status/ ... 81731?s=20

This tweet from Spallina last Friday about adding a new top scorer likely means he is not leaving Stony Brook for Cuse. As a Hofstra fan I wish he would :)
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

hofstrapride1 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:28 am https://twitter.com/JoeSpallina/status/ ... 81731?s=20

This tweet from Spallina last Friday about adding a new top scorer likely means he is not leaving Stony Brook for Cuse. As a Hofstra fan I wish he would :)
I heard SS may be speaking to a few aces of her own
hofstrapride1

Post by hofstrapride1 »

Cagekeeper wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:42 am
hofstrapride1 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:28 am https://twitter.com/JoeSpallina/status/ ... 81731?s=20

I heard SS may be speaking to a few aces of her own
I hope so! Definitely some unique opportunities to land impact graduate school transfers with the extra COVID year of eligibility.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”