THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by DMac »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:44 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:22 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:26 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 pm
jhu06 wrote
He can score goals, congrats but a senior and son of one of the better coaches in the game is not supposed to display that kind of immaturity.
His father got a 2 min bench penalty today in the UA-Cuse game, assistant got a one minute too. Don't know what they were all fired up about, but they sure pizzed the refs off whatever it was.
Actually Scott took three penalties on the play. Two for hand ball that was missed where he made his feelings known and then he REALLY lit into the ref when he came over to the scorers table. Hat went up and that was three. Shame to hear Coach dropping that many F bombs on a ref. The reality is his fogo is gone, his all world attackman is gone and the heir apparent got bullied and quit. Not a good day for the Danes. Coach took it out on a ref who didn't deserve it. That play had no impact on the game.
Yup, the frustrations of the day came out on that play, I didn't see what happened from where I was sitting (what caused all the fire). Cost him big, Cuse took a lot of valuable seconds off the clock then put one in...didn't help the Dog's cause at all.
the call was amended to 2 on marr and one on an assistant. out of frustration for sure. the game was 11-5, 4 1/2 minutes left, albany had scored 2 in the previous 40 some minutes. game was over.
the reality is... nc$$ refs let coaches run out with f bombs all the time. the irony on a hopkins thread of a coach of another team being upbraided because they decided to call it this time is thick.
DMac, a Cuse fan who was at that game, brought the subject up of Albany’s penalties on their coaches on the last page. Not a Hopkins fan, but DMac, formerly dmaclaxnut11 on LP.

wgdsr, need to do more HW. School is back in session.

W
Right, it was brought up by the former dmaclaxnut11 at LP, who indentified himself as one in the same here at FL, after jhu06's post was made, as you can see.
There a point to your post, or is it as relevant as your cat puke posts?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hawkeye wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:00 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Lets talk about how Petro and his staff became unhinged yesterday, lost composure and lucky not to get a bench penalty
Regarding the aftermath of the first triple penalty situation in the second quarter?

Did the officials get the length of those those penalties right or not? I know there was a lot of discussion on ESPN about it, but I never heard definitively whether or not they messed up.
From what I gathered watching on TV, the officials and the person managing the clock/penalties were not on the same page. Either the penalty was actually 2 minutes but the Hopkins players were incorrectly not allowed to release for an extra minute, effectively making the penalty 3 minutes, or the penalty was indeed 3 minutes but the clockkeeper erroneously told the Jays their penalty was released a minute early, causing a "too many men on the field" penalty on the Jays. It was very confusing, but it was clear that there was some enormous screw-up, and it came at a time when the game was still within reach. Petro et al were right to be beside themselves. Quint noted on the broadcast that there was no box official yesterday—I don't know how often that's the case but that strikes me as unacceptable.
DMac wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:49 pm I don't think it's such a ridiculous comparison here in Syracuse, 16. Again, this is CNY, not Bum-phuk, Idaho.
Looking for a place where there's a lacrosse culture? You can start right here by checking out how many youth leagues there are, CCs that play (some pretty good ones at that) HSs that field teams, of course you've got all those elite travel teams too, D 1, 2, & 3 schools that field teams. Got a Rez where there's quite a culture too, and those people show up at their arena, you don't see a whole lot of them in the Dome though.
35+K in the Dome for a hoops game (you'll pay a whole lot more for that ticket than you will the Hop-Cuse lacrosse game....twenty five bucks a car for parking too). Those people all basketball fans? I think not, they're there for the event, to be seen in their new orange Cuse Hoops sweatshirt, they're there for the sizzle.
THAT is what is lacking here in the Cuse (and I suspect elsewhere), IMO. They played an indoor hockey game in the Dome a few years back and drew 20K+ for that. Awful lot of sizzle was sold for that one, made an event out of it. The Crunch (local AHL team) will typically draw 3,500 or so, so it's not as if there are tens of thousands that will show up for a hockey game normally. Gotta sell the sizzle, not enough of that in the lacrosse world.
Not at all doubting this—I was mainly talking about comparing the Hopkins student body going (or not going) to lax games vs. Duke/ND students going to basketball/football.

Syracuse, Hopkins, Loyola, Navy, Virginia, and Maryland seem like the only schools that still reliably draw decent lacrosse crowds—can probably throw Denver and Albany in there depending on weather. Loyola is the only one of those in which the students comprise a majority of spectators. It's basically the Maryland area schools + Cuse. Lacrosse may be proliferating across the country in new areas but that isn't translating to game attendance.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

You get more people to games by winning and being competitive in games. Getting to a couple final fours and winning a championship wouldn't hurt. Something Hopkins hasn't really done in decade - outside of one year.

As for the student body, most of the points have been hit on. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that under Daniels, Hopkins has moved away from giving any legacies any benefit in getting in school. That certainly drives down the student body with an interest in the going to the game.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:07 pm
jhu06 wrote
He can score goals, congrats but a senior and son of one of the better coaches in the game is not supposed to display that kind of immaturity.
His father got a 2 min bench penalty today in the UA-Cuse game, assistant got a one minute too. Don't know what they were all fired up about, but they sure pizzed the refs off whatever it was.
Actually Scott took three penalties on the play. Two for hand ball that was missed where he made his feelings known and then he REALLY lit into the ref when he came over to the scorers table. Hat went up and that was three. Shame to hear Coach dropping that many F bombs on a ref. The reality is his fogo is gone, his all world attackman is gone and the heir apparent got bullied and quit. Not a good day for the Danes. Coach took it out on a ref who didn't deserve it. That play had no impact on the game.
Yup, the frustrations of the day came out on that play, I didn't see what happened from where I was sitting (what caused all the fire). Cost him big, Cuse took a lot of valuable seconds off the clock then put one in...didn't help the Dog's cause at all.
the call was amended to 2 on marr and one on an assistant. out of frustration for sure. the game was 11-5, 4 1/2 minutes left, albany had scored 2 in the previous 40 some minutes. game was over.
the reality is... nc$$ refs let coaches run out with f bombs all the time. the irony on a hopkins thread of a coach of another team being upbraided because they decided to call it this time is thick.
DMac, a Cuse fan who was at that game, brought the subject up of Albany’s penalties on their coaches on the last page. Not a Hopkins fan, but DMac, formerly dmaclaxnut11 on LP.

W
Right, it was brought up by the former dmaclaxnut11 at LP, who indentified himself as one in the same here at FL, after jhu06's post was made, as you can see.
wom-- i do miss quite a bit, but i know who dmac is and i did read the thread.
corrected an '06 correction of a correct comment... was just an edit, really.
dmac was clear that he wasn't clear on all the details, his was not actually pushing any narrative on the calls. i also tangentially countered his opinion about game still being even impossibly still in play.
but commented mostly re: 'the characterization of 06's comments on it (didn't go into some of the rest). he's welcome to his opinions. as we all are to reply.

seems some folks aren't aware of what's said on the field with regularity, so added that.

think i covered a lot of ground, actually.

p.s. also, wanted to break up the attendance conversation. the day after a rough one at homewood, seems too soon.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

This thread has devolved into navel gazing. Hopkins is one of 2 (with 'cuse) lax colleges where kids who can ball can become not just national champs but part of university lore.

But the kids on the team, despite their recruiting classes being ranked to 5 by IL, seem to be average D1 talent.

Hop should consider Towson and Loyola as warm up games, right? The games are gifts from the Hop coaches to raise the profile of their less lauded local brethren. Neither Towson nor Loyola has had recruiting classes like Hopkins. Ever. Hopkins should win with their bench getting PT by halftime. This is the way of the world.

This is old thinking. My proposed reasons for why:

1. Kids who rock at 16 aren't guaranteed to be competitive at 20. The kids are driven to get a major D1 offer by their parents, end up at Hopkins, for goodness sakes, and then the pressure's off. If they go from superstar to bench a year later, they're seduced by the rest of what college has to offer. Or driven to make the big commitment to getting the education needed to get the career they want. Let's make a list of the kids who didn't get material PT as Frosh, who are major contributors as an upper classman. D1 wide. Not very many, but coaches treat their Frosh as if 100% will still be as driven 'when their turn comes'.

2. Deeper pool. Deeper and wider and much more complex. Hop can't count on being one of a handful of teams that go 20 deep with talented, gifted, and serious laxers on the team. There're a couple of dozen teams like that now, all committed to making the final 4. The game been grown. Did anyone see Colgate romp on 'cuse?

3. Frosh are ready NOW! I run into kids who are entering HS with more games and practices and quality coaching under their belts than I had had when I left the game as a player. Frosh aren't entering the college ranks needing "finishing". They're ready to go, and when a big, strong fast athlete is benched for the first time in his life so someone smaller, weaker, and slower can 'have his turn', he gets disillusioned. This whole 'program' story line that old school coaches roll out is counterproductive. Heck, look at Denver. Tierney has the Freshmen contributing as much as any of the other 3 classes. Hop will be full of upperclassmen 'getting their turn' alongside Epstein and Newinski in 4 years, and a lot of those upper classmen will not be what we had hoped when they were recruited because of 2 years on the bench watching their elders go through the motions.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Loyola recruits a “type.” Hungry. Athlete.
What is the Typical Hopkins recruit type?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:42 pm Loyola recruits a “type.” Hungry. Athlete.
Fast, stick skills, fluid movement. IQ,

Whereas each Loyola recruiting class has one or two UA All Americans to headline, with a bunch of lower ended Power 100 recruits. Each has something to prove against programs who overlooked them. A lot of times announcers call them "diamonds in the rough". The class Toomey just brought in for this year exemplifies this. It's honestly deceptive how the classes appear vs. how they will turn out.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
DMac

Post by DMac »

kramerica.inc wrote
A superstar on his travel team since the age of six. One whose musically enhanced highlight video shows you all you need to know. None of them have played on a field of D1 lacrosse players but that doesn't matter, I guess. Got some of those guys in these parts too.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Highlights are on YouTube. A very depressing 12 minutes, 40 seconds. I looked at every goal and tried to figure out what went wrong, then came to some conclusions.

Goal 1: Jones gets beat 1on1 by a freshman, no slide help
Goal 2: 15-yard bomb high to high, should have been saved (Concannon also trapped on D)
Goal 3: Hubler can't get through a (moving?) pick, leaves his man wide open for a 12-yard rip, maybe should have been saved
Goal 4: Colwell inexplicably leaves his guy to slide to Spencer at GLE when Foley is already there, frees up a Greyhound right on the crease, DiPietro is slow to get there but hard to put this one on him. No idea what Colwell is doing—trust your All-American teammate in this situation
Goal 5: Rapine is bodying up Spencer pretty well, again Colwell leaves his man to slide to Spencer, leaving Jones to cover two guys on the crease. He goes to one, the other is left wide open, and Foley is a split second late on the slide. But it all started with an unnecessary slide to Spencer
Goal 6: Spencer is literally uncovered from 10-feet out on the wing, three guys in the area, Kuhn finally decides to go to him but it's too late
Goal 7: Jays in a zone, Foley doing a decent job on Spencer, but he finds Scanlen on a skip on the other side of the field, Jones is late getting to his hands. Spencer is an unguardable magician but the Jays make it easier for him again
Goal 8: Spencer just crosses up Kuhn, who falls to the ground. Unfortunate but at least this wasn't the result of a comprehensive defense collapse like some of the others
Goal 9: Spencer beats Foley to the inside and dives for a goal—I'm still unclear on the rules here and to be honest I feel like the refs are too. Looks to me like he's diving right into the "goal mouth," parallel to the goal line, despite what Quint says on the broadcast
Goal 10: Neither Jones nor Hubler are on their man's hands—both shorties allowing too much separation here. Nice finish by Lindley but again we make it easy on them
Goal 11: Scanlen puts a nice move on Jones to gain a little bit of separation but the shot is high to high from a tough angle, not too much mustard on it, you'd like to see Darby get this one
Goal 12: Reinson is late getting out to his guy after being drawn inside near the crease, but this is another 15-year prayer to Darby's stick side, has to be saved
Goal 13: Spencer just makes an insane behind the back pass to a cutting player, MAYBE Kuhn should be on his guy tighter but this is just a brilliant play by the country's top attackman
Goal 14: Colwell slides to Spencer again, leaving his guy wide open on the crease. No second slide. But to be fair, there was little time for one. Just inexplicable.
Goal 15: Cattoni playing defense LOL
Goal 16: Jones gets beat, slide is mostly there but ineffective
Goal 17: Baskin playing defense LOL (slide is also late)
Goal 18: Defense is extended out on everyone to try to force a turnover...it shockingly doesn't work, Kuhn loses his man

To sum up, the primary culprits for every Loyola goal:
Jones - 4 goals
Colwell - 3 goals
Darby - 3 goals
Converted attackmen playing defense - 2 goals
Hubler - 2 goals
Kuhn - 2 goals
Foley - 1 goal

So that's 6 on the shorties, 6 on the poles combined (though half of them are due to baffling Colwell slides), 3 on the goalie, 2 because we have munchkin middies getting caught on defense, and 1 that I couldn't really fault any one specific person/position for.

- It was a game to forget for Jones, who we've seen play good defense in his career. He was not as aggressive on-ball as he usually is—perhaps he was told not to be. He'll have better days, but when your best shortie is, well, quite short, these days are going to happen. It's also tough to be too critical of the guy given he played literally every shift of the game. No depth behind him.

- Either Colwell needs to better trust his teammates or the plan going into the game was for him to slide off the crease early to Spencer, and if that's the case it was a disastrous call by the coaching staff. Spencer is a good dodger, but you absolutely CANNOT make life easy for him as a feeder. He will find the open man and put it right on his stick every time. Perhaps this was an overcorrection from the Towson game after our guys were losing their matchups left and right.

- Darby should have gotten a few that he didn't, but to be honest he also made a few nice stops that probably should have gone in. While I don't think he's blowing anyone away, like last week this loss was not on him as a shot-stopper. Again, though, clearing is another story.

- I put a lot of stock in the middies getting caught on D and being roasted—and while that did account for 2 goals, they still score 16 other ones, so that's just one issue of many

- Spencer's stat line reads 7 points, but Foley was only really responsible for 1 of them—the dive goal.

- Notice I didn't call Rapine's name once...through two games he's been doing his job.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 pm Highlights are on YouTube. A very depressing 12 minutes, 40 seconds. I looked at every goal and tried to figure out what went wrong, then came to some conclusions.

- Notice I didn't call Rapine's name once...through two games he's been doing his job.
Good analysis 16. I'm pretty sure I had Foley down for 2 on him but I may be wrong. Ill go back and have a look. I also may do a companion analysis on the munchkin midfielders. Although I'm not sure I have the stomach for it TBH.

Your last line about Rapine, bang on. Kid has done his job very well.
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

Hey Munchin Middies - Give me your lunch money !!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

jhu06 wrote

W
Whew. Bitter.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bitter? I think not, just confused. The post that you pointed out that I made at least had a connection to the subject at hand. Yours, on the other hand, comes from left field and is not at all relevant to the subject (but I should be used to that, I suppose). What's your point there? You think there's anyone here who doesn't (didn't) know that DMac here was dmaclaxnut11 at LP? Remember your low life ankle biter following my posts stuff? Methinks that's the case here (and jftr, LF put the smokes down ten years prior to, not five).
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:15 pm
kramerica.inc wrote
A superstar on his travel team since the age of six. One whose musically enhanced highlight video shows you all you need to know. None of them have played on a field of D1 lacrosse players but that doesn't matter, I guess. Got some of those guys in these parts too.
That is exactly who petro recruits the stud 8th grader, that may or may not develop. Sign them so, Md, NC or whom ever cannot. Sometimes it paysoff, sometimes it does not... It looks like the latter these past couple of recruiting classes
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I expect the jays to recover.
But there are not a lot of easy games on this schedule. Not sure I see a win on here until MSM. And no gimmes after that. If things start to snowball, this could be a historically poor season for the Jays. What’s the bar for fewest wins in JHU program history?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:54 am I expect the jays to recover.
But there are not a lot of easy games on this schedule. Not sure I see a win on here until MSM. And no gimmes after that. If things start to snowball, this could be a historically poor season for the Jays. What’s the bar for fewest wins in JHU program history?
Don't know if a direct comparison with the olden days makes sense since they played fewer games back then but the Jays were 6-5 in Zim's last year in 1990. Then of course there was the 7-7 year in 2010, which ended officially at 7-8 after they lost in the playoffs. Other than that it's been at least 8+ wins as far back as I can remember.

Looking at the schedule, I'll be very generous and say we split the UNC and Princeton games, split Cuse and UVA, and beat Delaware and MSM (although Delaware is looking pretty good this year...). That would put us at 4-4 entering conference play with maybe two decent wins. We'd have to go at least 3-2 in the Big Ten to give us a chance at extending the season, and as mentioned already, there are no easy outs in this conference.

Things have to turn around, and quickly. It's only February but the clock is already ticking.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 pm Highlights are on YouTube. A very depressing 12 minutes, 40 seconds. I looked at every goal and tried to figure out what went wrong, then came to some conclusions.

Goal 1: Jones gets beat 1on1 by a freshman, no slide help
Goal 2: 15-yard bomb high to high, should have been saved (Concannon also trapped on D)
Goal 3: Hubler can't get through a (moving?) pick, leaves his man wide open for a 12-yard rip, maybe should have been saved
Goal 4: Colwell inexplicably leaves his guy to slide to Spencer at GLE when Foley is already there, frees up a Greyhound right on the crease, DiPietro is slow to get there but hard to put this one on him. No idea what Colwell is doing—trust your All-American teammate in this situation
Goal 5: Rapine is bodying up Spencer pretty well, again Colwell leaves his man to slide to Spencer, leaving Jones to cover two guys on the crease. He goes to one, the other is left wide open, and Foley is a split second late on the slide. But it all started with an unnecessary slide to Spencer
Goal 6: Spencer is literally uncovered from 10-feet out on the wing, three guys in the area, Kuhn finally decides to go to him but it's too late
Goal 7: Jays in a zone, Foley doing a decent job on Spencer, but he finds Scanlen on a skip on the other side of the field, Jones is late getting to his hands. Spencer is an unguardable magician but the Jays make it easier for him again
Goal 8: Spencer just crosses up Kuhn, who falls to the ground. Unfortunate but at least this wasn't the result of a comprehensive defense collapse like some of the others
Goal 9: Spencer beats Foley to the inside and dives for a goal—I'm still unclear on the rules here and to be honest I feel like the refs are too. Looks to me like he's diving right into the "goal mouth," parallel to the goal line, despite what Quint says on the broadcast
Goal 10: Neither Jones nor Hubler are on their man's hands—both shorties allowing too much separation here. Nice finish by Lindley but again we make it easy on them
Goal 11: Scanlen puts a nice move on Jones to gain a little bit of separation but the shot is high to high from a tough angle, not too much mustard on it, you'd like to see Darby get this one
Goal 12: Reinson is late getting out to his guy after being drawn inside near the crease, but this is another 15-year prayer to Darby's stick side, has to be saved
Goal 13: Spencer just makes an insane behind the back pass to a cutting player, MAYBE Kuhn should be on his guy tighter but this is just a brilliant play by the country's top attackman
Goal 14: Colwell slides to Spencer again, leaving his guy wide open on the crease. No second slide. But to be fair, there was little time for one. Just inexplicable.
Goal 15: Cattoni playing defense LOL
Goal 16: Jones gets beat, slide is mostly there but ineffective
Goal 17: Baskin playing defense LOL (slide is also late)
Goal 18: Defense is extended out on everyone to try to force a turnover...it shockingly doesn't work, Kuhn loses his man
caveat --- with regard to slides, i have somewhere between zero and limited knowledge about what defense they are in on any particular time down. so on some of the "assignment of responsibilities", am taking best guess. as are you. but as an example of how different people see different things (for the ones i would differ with):

goal 4: spencer gets inside/by foley. either that's why he slid, or that's a defense they're in (to go on a spencer dodge there). someone (maybe colwell) is at fault for not prepping a 2 slide, if in fact he didn't. but if he doesn't come, spencer is getting to the front of the goal. colwell coming basically causes spencer to pull up, and then of course pass. the 2 slide also needs to be there, regardless of someone asking for backup.
goal 5: on the audio, darby clearly calls out "go" 3 times. that's the d they're in on this possession. spencer certainly hears the call also, and is simply biding time and anchoring his spot until it comes. if hopkins wants to prevent a goal here, both foley and the d man above him (3 slide to foley's guy - reinson?) need to pick up the guys in front of the cage.
goal 6: he's 13 yds out not 10 feet, but is definitely able to step into that and shoulda been picked up. i mean it's pat spencer.
goal 9: not sure what you mean on the dive. he is clearly diving away from the goal (and goalmouth).
goal 10: hubler absolutely makes the mistake of taking the wrong route around his own man. though not sure why hubler should be guarding lindley and not switched off of (say, by the pole he runs around?). jones --- this depends on what kind of d he's supposed to be playing back there. you can't tell whether jones should be up on his man's hands or not. poles yes/shorties, ya don't know. his main responsibility may be to engage near gle, don't get beat topside, and def don't get beat behind where your guy can't shoot from.
goal 11: he's at 10 yds and well placed. it's mostly on jones, especially getting baited to give up the strong hand from that side with a hitch.
goal 13: forget about the fact that it's behind the back. either the first slide shouldn't have slid without demanding a 2, or the 2 should've been there. that was a breakdown, pure and simple.
goal 14: this slide leads me to believe they are in "slide immediately on a dangerous dodge from spencer" mode on this possession, but it's FROM THE WRONG GUY. no system ever would have it coming coma on gle dodge from the opposite side of the field when you are the only player on that side of the field and your man is essentially back side crease by himself. the slide should've come from the crease/ball side.
goal 16: slide is ineffective because he takes one hand off the stick to throw his poke and mcgovern just shoots through it. jones trying to take the ball away doesn't seem like a great strategy, but maybe b/c of the stage of the game (and an expected earlier slide if isolated).
goal 17: this is on the d guys @ high crease. loyola basically has 4 guys on offense. a shortie is isolated on an entire side of the field and neither of the d thought it a good idea to be as prepared to defend as scanlon was ready to dodge.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:25 pm
jhu06 wrote

W
wom-- i do miss quite a bit, but i know who dmac is and i did read the thread.
corrected an '06 correction of a correct comment... was just an edit, really.
dmac was clear that he wasn't clear on all the details, his was not actually pushing any narrative on the calls. i also tangentially countered his opinion about game still being even impossibly still in play.
but commented mostly re: 'the characterization of 06's comments on it (didn't go into some of the rest). he's welcome to his opinions. as we all are to reply.

seems some folks aren't aware of what's said on the field with regularity, so added that.

think i covered a lot of ground, actually.

p.s. also, wanted to break up the attendance conversation. the day after a rough one at homewood, seems too soon.
Ok. I must have missed something lost in translation.

I’ll continue to try to provide some occasional levity.

Kind of like the band continuing to play while the Titanic sinks.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:22 am
goal 4: spencer gets inside/by foley. either that's why he slid, or that's a defense they're in (to go on a spencer dodge there). someone (maybe colwell) is at fault for not prepping a 2 slide, if in fact he didn't. but if he doesn't come, spencer is getting to the front of the goal. colwell coming basically causes spencer to pull up, and then of course pass. the 2 slide also needs to be there, regardless of someone asking for backup.
Guess I'm just not really seeing that. Foley looks to be in decent position to me. Maybe he gets beat for a goal if there's no slide help, but you at least have to make him work for it. The chances of him beating Foley there 1on1 might be high, but it skyrockets to 100%+ Loyola goal if the crease guy slides to Spencer and leaves a dude wide open in Darby's face. It happens too fast to expect a second slide to be there on time. Even if the second slide reacts quickly he'll more than likely still be on the defenders' back and as we've seen Lindley only needs a fraction of a second to receive the pass before he quicksticks it into the back of the net. If the strategy was indeed "slide immediately to a dangerous Spencer dodge" then I'm not sure what they were thinking. Sure, it's pick your poison with Spencer, but to me turning him into a distributor is the deadlier poison. If you're really worried about Spencer beating Foley there then maybe you start hedging a slide before he crosses GLE to make Spencer hesitate a split second about going to the rack. That way you're still in a position to body up Lindley if Spencer still passes out of that. But the sudden, full commit to the slide in this situation will lead to a goal every time. Letting Foley go at Spencer alone will lead to a goal or two (as it did later in the game on the dive), but you can't just fork over easy opportunities to the best passer in the world.

Anywho, appreciate your analysis, always good to get another pair of eyes on this stuff. No matter who is at fault for what it's clear that neither the defensive strategy nor the execution on Saturday were up to par.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Polls-smholes.

USILA will save the top 20 day....at least THIS week the media agrees with Quint.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”