THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:23 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:33 pm I'm more than a little concerned after hearing the press conference. Petro is putting this all on the D. Said the O was improved. Well Epstein was better and Marr scored a few more but the rest was horrible. Sending out the smurf crew wont get it done and he is about to learn a hard lesson against a large ACC team down in Durham. We all see it. Apparently Coach does not.
Johns Hopkins O scored 12 goals, even with 7 failed clears by the defense. That should be enough to win or at least make the game competitive.
And that is the fools gold right there. Scoring more than a few in garbage time when the other team has shut down and is on cruise control isn't something to hang your hat on and yet that is exactly what Petro did in the post game press conference. Last week Petro conceded the game with about 5 to go and went deep into the bench. This week he kept the starters in until the last second, they were able to get 3 possibly 4 in the last 6 mins and this somehow indicates our O is all good.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:23 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:43 pm This could be a historically bad season - Hopkins probably not favored against anybody except the Mt and maybe Delaware - could go 0-fer in the BIG nothing is off the table. As much as I am loathe to admit it - QK may be 100% correct that Hopkins' issues are not solvable:
- Look at the ground balls again - this tells you all you need to know - Hopkins starting 10 for the second straight game didn't get to 10 ground balls. The starting mid-field had ZERO. The only reason Hopkins got to 9 was Darby was credited with 5. So the 9 starting field players were out gb'd by the Hounds 16-4
- Hopkins starting mid-field had 2 assists - no goals and 9 shots - Loyola's had 20 shots - 8 goals and 2 assists
- Hopkins d-mids are playing at a level that is truly awful - whether it is the starting 3 or the converted attackmen that get trapped - it's as bad as I have seen it in the Petro era
- Darby is inside a shooting gallery and plenty of folks are getting time and room to the nth degree but he's not bailing anybody out that's true
- Marr had the worst 5 goal game I think I have ever seen - i'm not really suggesting Hopkins had any ability to win that game but if there was ever a spark of hope it was quelched by the awful turnover in the second quarter - throw in the BTB that was a poor choice, the penalty, and the exaggerated quick stick when he could have caught it and tried to fake Stover out and you have a senior captain making bad, selfish decisions
- I was at the comeback at UVA last year - I thought Hopkins really had something in DeSimone - he can't get by anybody
- Maybe the worst performance was turned in by the Hopkins student body - beyond embarrassing - 40-50 stalwarts in one section for a while and then the rout scattered them by the second half - Loyola had hundreds if not in the 4 figures - Home game for the guys in green
- Sometimes Petro is full of you know what - he was so all fire and brimstone about how everybody was going to get a chance to show what they can do - implying changes were on the way - nothing changed

I have certainly seen several Petro post 2008 teams get torched and abused. This was another level of disrespect - Loyola was laughing at Hopkins and couldn't decide whether to run out the clock or try the next craziest backyard school play because Hopkins couldn't stop anything

I think 0-5 is unfortunately very realistic
Petro consistantly has a top five ranked recruiting class, you have players that are making hs mistakes on field, D is struggling just to do the basics, this should not happen at hopkins. I looked around homewood at the signs and 2007 was the last time hop has won it all. This looks like more of a coaching issue than a player problem
For me it is a coaching issue when the Coach is lying to himself and the team when he says the O and faceoffs were better. This was the SAME result in my book as the Towson game. Yes faceoffs were better but guess what, the fogos weren't exactly facing Woodall out there. Name an O guy not named Epstein that had a good game. As someone previously mentioned Marrs goals are overshadowed by selfish penalties and turnovers. On to UNC. Yikes.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Several things to react to:
- The Petro press conference was him trying to coach from the psychological perspective. He knows the 12 goals is a bit - maybe alot - of fool's gold. He knows the score was 15-6 at one point and then Loyola was just out there messing around. But what he also knows is he can't rip them a new one twice publicly, especially if he believes they gave the effort the coaches asked for. So he spent 30 seconds or less on the defense and then tried to accentuate some things to build off.
- I know there have been a collection of defensive stinkers (UVA 2009, Duke 2010, Brown 2016, Duke 2017) but I sort of have to agree with Doc that I can't remember 35 goals in two games.
- One of the worst seasons in Hopkins lacrosse history was 1971 - the last time Hopkins went 0-2
- While clearing is just one facet of the game - clearing right now does make you wonder about the coaching being given and the time allocation of practice. I am not a defensive lacrosse savant but it did not appear to me that Loyola was doing anything incredibly revolutionary or sophisticated on the ride. I may have missed it but no 10 man stuff - just try to cut off the pass to the short stick right away - then once you have made Darby and the close D handle it - pack the mid line and force the pass to the box side. The number of failed clears and the way they were failed is almost seemingly beyond a DI team.
- '06 made a point about students at other private - "hard" schools supporting their teams and while I then agree with '16 that the comparisons are flawed - the issue remains about the waning support of the team. Yes - Hopkins can be extremely difficult as a pre-med or engineering - but the true D-level throats are really few in number. Hopkins has 5,500 enrolled undergraduates - more females than males now - and white/non Hispanic is not the highest ethnic category and comprises only 29% of the class of 2022. 29% is not exactly the diversity of the lacrosse team. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either percentage - Petro is not in the diversity business - but along with cellphones/TV etc. the bottom line is the majority of the Hopkins student body has no cultural experience with lacrosse and it doesn't particularly interest them. I sat on the sunny side not far from the Loyola student throng - again - not trying to make a great social point here but 95%+ of the kids I saw looked alot like my kids when they were in college. The solution unfortunately is not exactly socially responsible or legal. It was a sunny day - pleasant to be outside after alot of the recent weather - the students should have posted. Note to Alanna - let's spend some time thinking about this and come up with a few better things besides a new mascot costume. That was also embarrassing.
- I know the neighbors have complained about the PA noise - but can't we do something about day games? It's ridiculous that I am inside a <10,000 seat stadium and literally can't fathom a word being said.
- Hopkins is a very poor team off the ground - Hopkins picked up 28 ground balls to Loyola's 31. Nareweski had 11 - Hubler had 4 and Darby 5 - I'm no math major but that means the entire rest of the team came up with 8. Loyola - Savio had 3 - Stover 2 and It doesn't look like a SSDM for Loyola had more than 1 so the rest of the team had 25. Colwell 1 gb, Foley 0, Rapine 1, Kuhn 2, Reinson 0 - that's not going to get it done against anyone.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty interesting, corn. I'm sure you guys could care less about attendance in the Dome (unless you're there watching Hop beat Cuse, of course), and we draw decent crowds as far as lacrosse crowds go (still thousands less than I think should be there), but I sure don't see a lot of students at those games either. The crowd is made up of mostly "older" lacrosse fans ("older" ranging from 30s to old like me). The upcoming slaughtering of the Cuse hoops boys by the Dookies coming to the Dome very soon will draw 35K+...sold out. Any student on campus knows about that game and will be in there if they can get in. I've talked to students passing by on lacrosse game day who didn't even know the lacrosse team was playing (talked to two freshmen one day who did an about face and went and got a couple of tickets to go in and watch their first SU lax game...couple of NYC boys), and it seems to me as if there's very little interest across the board when it comes to the student body (I blame a lot of this on local media and the University itself...including the Dome). This is Hop and Cuse fer krissakes, not Bama and Idaho, there should be much bigger crowds at these games. I've thought for decades that the lacrosse world has done a less than stellar job of selling their product, as good as is, and as it easy to sell as it should be. Cuse can get 35K for a hoops game but 5-6-7K is considered a big crowd for "big" lacrosse game? Somebody (a whole lot of somebodies) aint doin' their job, brotha.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Even though Syracuse's lacrosse team probably dwarf all other Orange teams in national titles - you at least can appreciate that from a social perspective Syracuse students have the typically highly national ranked basketball team and a historically significant football team on the ups after a down period. As we all know Hopkins lacrosse is the only DI sport and until the women's cross country and track and field teams decided to go off - the only national champs except for maybe a swimming title or two. I remember when it behooved you to make to Baltimore by 45-60 minutes before the game to a) find parking b) avoid having to stand in the 2nd or 3rd ring of people around the fence. I get the forces working in opposition but more than 100 kids should show up.

Catholic schools - certainly by my experience in the DC area - have a social history if you will of supporting athletic teams. The high school sports landscape in the DC area is dominated by the WCAC - Washington Catholic Athletic Conference - and 3 schools in particular - Gonzaga, DeMatha and St. Johns with Paul VI and O'Connell pretty major forces in basketball and Good Counsel in football. Gonzaga has won 8 out of the last 9 WCAC lacrosse titles and everyone of them has been played on a Monday night @ the University of Maryland's soccer complex - Ludwig Field I believe. I have been to almost every one of them and I would say the Gonzaga student body attendance on a Monday night every time was close to 5-7 times what the Hopkins student attendance was yesterday - 500-600 to probably less than 100. So half of a high school can get to a lacrosse game on a Monday night 10 miles away from the school and anywhere from 10-30 miles from home and have to PAY while some part of 5,500 can't walk 100-yards to 1/2 a mile for free?

So this apathy certainly appears cultural in addition to all the social/technological forces. I get it if we're near exams - people have to crush on that. But this is the beginning of the semester - I saw plenty of students milling about the 3 block or so of all the food places on St. Paul. Nice day for a walk - or a lacrosse game.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:33 am So this apathy certainly appears cultural in addition to all the social/technological forces. I get it if we're near exams - people have to crush on that. But this is the beginning of the semester - I saw plenty of students milling about the 3 block or so of all the food places on St. Paul. Nice day for a walk - or a lacrosse game.
Unrelated to Hopkins, but I saw this same thing at Georgia Tech for football games. We're another school with a very large international population. Half of our students don't care about football at all. Half of those who show up at the game are only there for the social experience. It's pathetic. The library is still rocking though on a beautiful sunny October Saturday.

The point is: this problem isn't unique to just Hopkins. It drove me insane while I was a student at Tech and now. Tech has a very strong history in football. Not elite -- 44, WE WANT MORE -- strong, but plenty strong enough that people should care enough to show up.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

THe vast majority of Blue Jay fans nevah went to a game prior to the Ides of March. Gee, why was that?

6 game, this season, prior too..........mite be a factor :?: :idea: :idea: :idea: :?:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:51 am I was just woken up by one of the womcats barfing up a hairball repeatedly onto the hallway rug (never the easier to clean hardwood floor). 4 AM. Argh.

So, I had to get up. We have a rule - first one to spot a disaster has to clean it up (or do a really good job at claiming you didn’t see it). So, I had a talk with the offending cat.

“What happened? You watch the game too?”

Then I proceeded to clean up the rug. Partially digested dry cat food, fresh and warm, straight out of the kitty.

My Sunday is off to a great start.

W
I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hopkins could certainly do better but student attendance is not a JHU problem. It is a lacrosse problem. With the exception of Loyola’s raucous student section, which is increasingly looking like a national outlier, no students at any school are consistently going to lacrosse games.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt-Ju8CBh0r ... leekardlie

I graduated about 6 years ago so I feel like I have some sense of how it is nowadays unless a lot has changed in that short time. The admin does a decent job of publicizing the game. There are fliers, it’s all over social media, etc. Students know when the games are. It’s not an awareness issue. At least the Jays have a large and passionate alumni following. Some schools don’t even have that. Lacrosse is expanding geographically but it’s still a niche sport. And given the recent product on the field it doesn’t seem like there’s a huge incentive for students to suddenly start caring more about the team. There is a small but loyal contingent of students who go to as many games as they can—I was one of them—and they’ll start turning up more consistently as the weather improves. The crowd vs. Virginia in March two years ago was great.

Comparing the student representation at JHU lacrosse games to Duke basketball and Notre Dame football, much bigger D1 sports schools where athletics is totally ingrained in the culture and student experience, is quite frankly ridiculous. Those sports are actually popular and experiencing those games is one of many reasons people attend those schools. No one goes to Hopkins specifically to watch lacrosse games. It’s a great bonus for those of us who like the sport. It’s not really a factor for the kid going to Hopkins who wants to be a doctor or hedge fund manager or politician or whatever. And it’s certainly not a factor at Duke or Notre Dame or UNC or any of those other schools. You see their attendance recently? It makes Homewood seem like the Big House on an October afternoon. OSU is one of the biggest sports/party schools in the country. How many of their gazillion students are going to watch their lacrosse team, which was in the national championship game two seasons ago? The answer is much closer to 0 than it is 100. There were 173 people total at the Harvard @ UNC game this weekend.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I don't think it's such a ridiculous comparison here in Syracuse, 16. Again, this is CNY, not Bum-phuk, Idaho.
Looking for a place where there's a lacrosse culture? You can start right here by checking out how many youth leagues there are, CCs that play (some pretty good ones at that) HSs that field teams, of course you've got all those elite travel teams too, D 1, 2, & 3 schools that field teams. Got a Rez where there's quite a culture too, and those people show up at their arena, you don't see a whole lot of them in the Dome though.
35+K in the Dome for a hoops game (you'll pay a whole lot more for that ticket than you will the Hop-Cuse lacrosse game....twenty five bucks a car for parking too). Those people all basketball fans? I think not, they're there for the event, to be seen in their new orange Cuse Hoops sweatshirt, they're there for the sizzle.
THAT is what is lacking here in the Cuse (and I suspect elsewhere), IMO. They played an indoor hockey game in the Dome a few years back and drew 20K+ for that. Awful lot of sizzle was sold for that one, made an event out of it. The Crunch (local AHL team) will typically draw 3,500 or so, so it's not as if there are tens of thousands that will show up for a hockey game normally. Gotta sell the sizzle, not enough of that in the lacrosse world.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:51 am I was just woken up by one of the womcats barfing up a hairball repeatedly onto the hallway rug (never the easier to clean hardwood floor). 4 AM. Argh.

So, I had to get up. We have a rule - first one to spot a disaster has to clean it up (or do a really good job at claiming you didn’t see it). So, I had a talk with the offending cat.

“What happened? You watch the game too?”

Then I proceeded to clean up the rug. Partially digested dry cat food, fresh and warm, straight out of the kitty.

My Sunday is off to a great start.

W
I'm always amazed at how my cats always hit the rug. Mine were fairly calm as I screamed and cursed during the "game". Perhaps, like the Jays, they were scared of the hounds?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:32 am Pretty interesting, corn. I'm sure you guys could care less about attendance in the Dome (unless you're there watching Hop beat Cuse, of course), and we draw decent crowds as far as lacrosse crowds go (still thousands less than I think should be there), but I sure don't see a lot of students at those games either. The crowd is made up of mostly "older" lacrosse fans ("older" ranging from 30s to old like me). The upcoming slaughtering of the Cuse hoops boys by the Dookies coming to the Dome very soon will draw 35K+...sold out. Any student on campus knows about that game and will be in there if they can get in. I've talked to students passing by on lacrosse game day who didn't even know the lacrosse team was playing (talked to two freshmen one day who did an about face and went and got a couple of tickets to go in and watch their first SU lax game...couple of NYC boys), and it seems to me as if there's very little interest across the board when it comes to the student body (I blame a lot of this on local media and the University itself...including the Dome). This is Hop and Cuse fer krissakes, not Bama and Idaho, there should be much bigger crowds at these games. I've thought for decades that the lacrosse world has done a less than stellar job of selling their product, as good as is, and as it easy to sell as it should be. Cuse can get 35K for a hoops game but 5-6-7K is considered a big crowd for "big" lacrosse game? Somebody (a whole lot of somebodies) aint doin' their job, brotha.
And you sell beer in there.
rc13

Post by rc13 »

I've been at Hopkins a long time. Interest in lacrosse began to decline in the '90s. It simply became less of a part of student culture. A couple of championships in the 2000s helped, but it really just slowed the decline.

As late as the late-'80s, students knew what Saturdays were home games and planned around them. That's nowhere near the case anymore. It's just reality.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

rc13 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:19 pm It simply became less of a part of student culture... as late as the late-'80s, students knew what Saturdays were home games and planned around them. That's nowhere near the case anymore. It's just reality.
The question is: is this acceptable?

Whether it's Hopkins or any other school where students are apathetic about the school's premier athletic teams.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Hawkeye wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:22 pm
rc13 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:19 pm It simply became less of a part of student culture... as late as the late-'80s, students knew what Saturdays were home games and planned around them. That's nowhere near the case anymore. It's just reality.
The question is: is this acceptable?

Whether it's Hopkins or any other school where students are apathetic about the school's premier athletic teams.
Where Hopkins is very shortsighted on this subject is in developing a strong branding identity to their graduates that encourages them to revisit, partake in an event like Homecoming, and be a donor.

Doesn’t matter much when you have Bloomberg making it rain like a monsoon. But when he’s dead and gone, it will be mainly just the Hospital bringing in big money from Sheiks.

A rotten fish stinks from the head. I smell tuna.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:26 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 pm
jhu06 wrote
He can score goals, congrats but a senior and son of one of the better coaches in the game is not supposed to display that kind of immaturity.
His father got a 2 min bench penalty today in the UA-Cuse game, assistant got a one minute too. Don't know what they were all fired up about, but they sure pizzed the refs off whatever it was.
Actually Scott took three penalties on the play. Two for hand ball that was missed where he made his feelings known and then he REALLY lit into the ref when he came over to the scorers table. Hat went up and that was three. Shame to hear Coach dropping that many F bombs on a ref. The reality is his fogo is gone, his all world attackman is gone and the heir apparent got bullied and quit. Not a good day for the Danes. Coach took it out on a ref who didn't deserve it. That play had no impact on the game.
Yup, the frustrations of the day came out on that play, I didn't see what happened from where I was sitting (what caused all the fire). Cost him big, Cuse took a lot of valuable seconds off the clock then put one in...didn't help the Dog's cause at all.
the call was amended to 2 on marr and one on an assistant. out of frustration for sure. the game was 11-5, 4 1/2 minutes left, albany had scored 2 in the previous 40 some minutes. game was over.
the reality is... nc$$ refs let coaches run out with f bombs all the time. the irony on a hopkins thread of a coach of another team being upbraided because they decided to call it this time is thick.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I love homecoming weekend. I get 3-4 calls a month from Hopkins asking me to give. those are good points 16 on attendance.

like the notifications part of the site. still need rpi,sos, and the old schedules going back 12 years like lp had.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:22 pm
jhu06 wrote
He can score goals, congrats but a senior and son of one of the better coaches in the game is not supposed to display that kind of immaturity.
His father got a 2 min bench penalty today in the UA-Cuse game, assistant got a one minute too. Don't know what they were all fired up about, but they sure pizzed the refs off whatever it was.
Actually Scott took three penalties on the play. Two for hand ball that was missed where he made his feelings known and then he REALLY lit into the ref when he came over to the scorers table. Hat went up and that was three. Shame to hear Coach dropping that many F bombs on a ref. The reality is his fogo is gone, his all world attackman is gone and the heir apparent got bullied and quit. Not a good day for the Danes. Coach took it out on a ref who didn't deserve it. That play had no impact on the game.
Yup, the frustrations of the day came out on that play, I didn't see what happened from where I was sitting (what caused all the fire). Cost him big, Cuse took a lot of valuable seconds off the clock then put one in...didn't help the Dog's cause at all.
the call was amended to 2 on marr and one on an assistant. out of frustration for sure. the game was 11-5, 4 1/2 minutes left, albany had scored 2 in the previous 40 some minutes. game was over.
the reality is... nc$$ refs let coaches run out with f bombs all the time. the irony on a hopkins thread of a coach of another team being upbraided because they decided to call it this time is thick.
DMac, a Cuse fan who was at that game, brought the subject up of Albany’s penalties on their coaches on the last page. Not a Hopkins fan, but DMac, formerly dmaclaxnut11 on LP.

wgdsr, need to do more HW. School is back in session.

W
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:22 pm
jhu06 wrote
Lets talk about how Petro and his staff became unhinged yesterday, lost composure and lucky not to get a bench penalty
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Lets talk about how Petro and his staff became unhinged yesterday, lost composure and lucky not to get a bench penalty
Regarding the aftermath of the first triple penalty situation in the second quarter?

Did the officials get the length of those those penalties right or not? I know there was a lot of discussion on ESPN about it, but I never heard definitively whether or not they messed up.
Last edited by Hawkeye on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”