Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Farfromgeneva »

In Stroudsberg though out of town so to speak, near Cherry Valley Rd, if that is one you know. Think it's 611 past this atrocious Thai jont then hook in off main road. Bunch of builder grade-ish 4,000-5,000sq. ft. homes built in maybe the 1990s with big open atriums and large side garages that you can buy well below $500k.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:54 pm You cannot overestimate the impact of that one single change.
Yes you can - you're doing it right now

Look, Hopkins is favored - by alot - to lose tomorrow and finish the season at 4-9. Doc B BTW is full of it - the BIG may or may not be a strong conference but when two teams go through the regular season in a conference only season and one team goes undefeated and another only loses to the the team that went undefeated and none of the other teams came close to a winning record well that lends credence to the position that it's not all that its cracked up to be. If every team was 5-5 - well then you might have a better argument.

I like the culture that Milliman appears to have installed - they fight and compete. They have had some epic breakdowns late in games but the circumstances of the season have been very trying and they keep coming back for more. They finally faced their 4th quarter demons and survived for once the other night. I have reasonable confidence and expectations that they will play as hard as they can tomorrow. It may not be enough - we'll see.

It is absurd that someone could call for Milliman's head and thought that all alumni should call Jen Baker demanding an explanation 3 weeks ago and now 2 wins - one against a 4-6 team that you had already waxed by 8 goals - has changed Charles and University to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. And I noticed you still haven't really addressed the issue of the trajectory of Towson's season - see how a 3 game wining streak including a 1 goal win over a 2-8 team can be fool's gold? What happened to the "coaching matters"?

The future looks better - but it all depends - let's let them play for their season tomorrow before descending upon the carrion but the team could look so different next year - hell - you could lose 2/3rds of your starting attack and 2/3rds of your starting close D if they all vamoosed for jobs. And may I point you back to your comments about Brock Turnbaugh after the Navy and Loyola games of 2016 when he made 13 and 16 saves and a save percentage likely close to 60% and had played unquestionably well. "Sky's the limit" Hopkins has found its goalie etc. etc. He finished the season at 47% starting every game. Do I think that is going to happen to Marcille? God I hope not - but the fact remains there is no book on him yet and as more and more film gets out - the job gets tougher. Let's let the kid play and see what happens. If Hopkins wins more face-offs - takes care of the ball - and plays better defense in front of him he will have a good chance to succeed.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Game day!

In other news, there has been several school fights because of kids yelling “yo birthing person”.

Think of the absurdity of that as we approach Mother’s Day.

Might make a good cheer at a lacrosse game someday.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:00 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:41 pm Here comes glaring ignorance of Coach Bill Dwan's role again.

Just stop.
We know his role, and it was a pretty important one.

But a true defensive coordinator would have brought in a fresh perspective and taken charge of the defense. That wasn’t going to be anyone, at least not under Petro.

DocBarrister :?
ftfy
Don’t do that ... please don’t edit another forum member’s post. Besides, I don’t agree with the substance of your edit.

DocBarrister
jiminy xmas. you're insufferable. as wombat noted, there was nothing deceptive about and in fact common in internet purveyors for what was laid out.
a) i'll pass on your directives for "another forum member's posts". you can speak for you.
b) if you continue to flat out lie about your former coaches, as you've done previously, i will call you out on your b.s. when i see it. and i won't care about "editing" your posts.

most of your ridiculous amateur lacrosse takes i let go. as do most people. but for the above, expect to be challenged. and ftr, i won't be as collegial in the future.

p.s. could care less what you agree with. clown show.
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:41 pm Here comes glaring ignorance of Coach Bill Dwan's role again.

Just stop.

But a true defensive coordinator would have brought in a fresh perspective and taken charge of the defense. That wasn’t going to be anyone, at least not under Petro.

ftfy
Don’t do that ... please don’t edit another forum member’s post. Besides, I don’t agree with the substance of your edit.

DocBarrister
Watch your mouth when mentioning Bill Dwan.
Last edited by HappyHourLax on Sat May 08, 2021 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

HappyHourLax wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:45 am

Just stop.

ftfy

DocBarrister
Just in case people don’t know the name Bill Dwan - 1991 JHU graduate, played defense for JHU lacrosse. Joined the coaching staff in 2001 - Associate Head Coach, D coordinator for two national championship teams (2005, 2007), founder of the Junior Jays, led their recruiting efforts, and was their Director of Ops. 18 playoff appearances. Legend both on and off the field for Hopkins. Incredible man and an incredible coach. Not saying anyone did, but I will not tolerate any slander towards that man. He gave his life for this program and you should keep you frickin mouth shut if you have anything poor to say towards him in here because he was an incredible servant for the program. Yes I took this personally. No I do not care. Unless you have anything positive to say about him, keep it to yourself.
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

Just stop.

ftfy

DocBarrister
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Just stop.

ftfy

DocBarrister
Anyone who speaks ill of Billy Dwan is only revealing their own lack of character. I’m not saying the man is a saint but he’s damn close.
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

flalax22 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:37 am

Just stop.

ftfy

DocBarrister
Anyone who speaks ill of Billy Dwan is only revealing their own lack of character. I’m not saying the man is a saint but he’s damn close.
In all seriousness, he is an incredible man that embodies the Johns Hopkins lacrosse program.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

...What am I missing? Was a post deleted? I don’t see any Dwan slander? Perhaps there is a history here I’m not aware of. But I think it’s a perfectly valid point that IF Petro were to have handed the keys of the defense over to someone else then that person should have come from the outside to bring a fresh perspective and a new set of eyes.

Anyway, slightly dumb that this is even the topic on game day. Then again this is the Hopkins thread.

Keys to tonight: Win more than 50% of faceoffs, take care of the ball, somehow limit Bernhardt, and don’t allow Wisnauskas any 1 in 1,000 severe angle last-minute goals.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

I think Maryland is somewhat overrated nationally. Who really knows? No out of conference games with which to compare quality. JHU has a better chance tonight than Rutgers (LOL) although a Blue Jay loss tonight gives snake-bitten Rutgers a chance for an at-large bid, although not a lock - the Terps overlook the Blue Jays at their peril. I think the game will be similar to the last one, going down to the wire. My question is, what's the over-under on the last page number for this thread before a 2022 thread is started?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Hop 15-12, book it. Agree with you on Maryland.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:27 am I think Maryland is somewhat overrated nationally. Who really knows? No out of conference games with which to compare quality. JHU has a better chance tonight than Rutgers (LOL) although a Blue Jay loss tonight gives snake-bitten Rutgers a chance for an at-large bid, although not a lock - the Terps overlook the Blue Jays at their peril. I think the game will be similar to the last one, going down to the wire. My question is, what's the over-under on the last page number for this thread before a 2022 thread is started?
Depends on the west coast ego.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:40 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:54 pm You cannot overestimate the impact of that one single change.
Yes you can - you're doing it right now
It's clear you've never been a Marcille fan. Anytime anyone mentioned his name you would always say how short he was.
News flash: You don't have to be tall to stand tall between the pipes.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

With the emergence of Peshko it certainly gives other teams much more to game plan for. They now to need to consider him, Cole, Deso as legitimate threats to score every time they touch the ball. If Epstein can figure out what’s going on inside his head the Jays have a real chance here provided goalie and face off play remain solid.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:10 am It's clear you've never been a Marcille fan. Anytime anyone mentioned his name you would always say how short he was.
News flash: You don't have to be tall to stand tall between the pipes.
Truly clear to me you have no idea what you are talking about
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Jays might need some help from Dunn at FO in this game. Two games in 48 hours and Maryland likely going with two or three FOGOs. Notice in some of the close losses the 4th qtr faceoff win percentage was poor. At least an indicator that fatigue might be a problem. Giving Dunn 25%-35% of the draws might pay dividends.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

get it to x wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:31 pm Jays might need some help from Dunn at FO in this game. Two games in 48 hours and Maryland likely going with two or three FOGOs. Notice in some of the close losses the 4th qtr faceoff win percentage was poor. At least an indicator that fatigue might be a problem. Giving Dunn 25%-35% of the draws might pay dividends.
This is an excellent point - Ride the Marewski horse for a while if he's hot but the drop off in some 4th quarters has been present - may need to give him more breathers
Maryland - despite winning only 47% of the face-offs - dominates opponents in ground balls, turnovers, caused turnovers and clearing - these unfortunately are not typically Hopkins strongest suits so time to put you big boy pants on
CrookedJay

Post by CrookedJay »

Longtime reader, first post. Alum under Petro.

1. Really hope the boys pull it out tonight. No reason we can’t if we win some face offs, make some saves and make their goalie think. Game isn’t that complicated.
2. The goalie looks like a lacrosse player - don’t think we’ve been able to say that since maybe Bassett?
3. You need freshman to play and play well. It motivates the entire squad and they don’t have any scare tissue.
4. Coach Dwan is a saint.
5. Not sure winning two games has me over the mid season bit about not wanting “to stick it out with my “best” player and captain when he’s struggling.”
6. The team looks like they are playing with nothing to lose which is great because they don’t. Key is to do it day 1. I did see something about a player saying that the staff was assuring the players not to worry bout making mistakes - I wonder when that started? None of the alumni updates hinted at a Dinowski/Pete Carroll coaching mantra. One thing we had to do playing under Coach P was to (a) know that you were going to get some “points of polish” (b) play freely anyway, and (c) live with the consequences. In other words, you had to learn how to deal when things didn’t go well. To me that mirrors life more than “I’m not going to yell at you,” which is the point of all of this, no? Without hesitation I would have sent my kids to play for Coach P and I wish he was still at Hop.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”