Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Chitown

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Chitown »

a fan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:08 pm
Chitown wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:22 pm Yes, a Freshman scored a lot of goals. :D But do you think that he scored on designed plays or he had the leeway to "read the defense" and take what Rutgers gave him? 8-)
Dunno, but what we both know is that Petro didn't have access to his skills to find out one way or another! ;) :lol:
:lol: I was just giving you grief for sounding like one of us barbaric, laissez-faire Syracuse fans.

Have a great weekend!
[/quote]

And a great weekend to you also. Thanks :)

You will not remember (and have no reason to) but when JHU Fall scrimmaged Michigan in Ann Arbor many years ago, you invited all the attendees (alumni of Hop & Army as I remember) to your Bar for drinks on the "House". Very nice and appreciated. Your only request was to "tip the Girls" (the waitresses). Which we did. ;) anyhow, thank you again for your generosity.

It will be a great weekend just to see Hopkins play the Terps again tomorrow, and has a chance of being Historical if the Lacrosse Gods are on our side (and the lacrosse World and "Experts" have a heart Attack 8-) ).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:20 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:01 pm he did not say he should have hired a true defensive coordinator. he said he shouldn't have made himself defensive coordinator and head coach at the same time.
He didn’t have anyone on his staff who could serve as a true defensive coordinator, so your point is kind of meaningless. If he wasn’t going to serve as defensive coordinator himself, he would have had to hire someone to fill that role.

DocBarrister :?
lol. i guess matt got all the defensive brains in the family. have a great day, doc.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:12 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:09 pm
OutToPasture wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:56 pm Hartford goes D3, Hopkins professors will be pressuring their Administration and Board to follow suit. All is well with academia.
My guess is that the Ivy League is next.
they'll create an ivy-league light conference. full of brainiacs. league academic honor roll will be the most competitive you've ever seen.
-Ivy isn't going d3, it's a question right now of how burned their student athletes and recruits feel by what transpired this year (they were used to make a political statement) and whether people like PM can convince them it's worth the jump.
-lost in the peshko marcille revelations has been the fact that this staff was not able to correctly identify some of the talent earlier in the spring and it makes you wonder what else they missed deep into the bench. As 51 stated there is a big numbers crunch for next fall and history shows the most successful players are not transfers, incoming frosh but players already on the roster who make the jump from bit players to stars using their experience in the program and confidence to grow.
-yes doc b you've said for forever going back to the gauntlet disasters when sankey and bitter used to turn homewood into their own chuck e cheese playhouse that the defense needed to change.
-if you're a faceoff nerd they do a nice job isolating what happened last night and against maryland. Marylands wings were very good at homewood. Jaronski/martin who along w/delaney got the majority of the time last night need to grab more balls (WOMBAT found that funny).
https://twitter.com/FaceoffZone
-the attack was supposed to be the strength of the team coming in this spring and last night it was the outside shooting and midfield that really won us the game. we need them tomorrow.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Here comes glaring ignorance of Coach Bill Dwan's role again.

Just stop.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:35 pm -lost in the peshko marcille revelations has been the fact that this staff was not able to correctly identify some of the talent earlier in the spring and it makes you wonder what else they missed deep into the bench.
Or maybe they were not ready for the big show having not played a senior season of high school, and then not getting a fall ball? They hadn't played competitive team lacrosse in two years. Adjusting to the college game can be tough even in a normal season and this was not a normal season by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sure there are players who were completely lost on the first day of practice but then got more comfortable over the course of the season. Based on the announcer's comments in the PSU game, it seems like Martin is one of those players who has come a long way. That he's a contributor at SSDM now doesn't mean he was a realistic option the first week of February.

Still waiting for confirmation that you understand Mabbett is injured. Please sign on the dotted line.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:41 pm Here comes glaring ignorance of Coach Bill Dwan's role again.

Just stop.
We know his role, and it was a pretty important one.

But a true defensive coordinator would have brought in a fresh perspective and taken charge of the defense. That wasn’t going to be Coach Dwan, at least not under Petro.

@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:41 pm Here comes glaring ignorance of Coach Bill Dwan's role again.

Just stop.

But a true defensive coordinator would have brought in a fresh perspective and taken charge of the defense. That wasn’t going to be anyone, at least not under Petro.

ftfy
a fan

Post by a fan »

Chitown wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:33 pm And a great weekend to you also. Thanks :)

You will not remember (and have no reason to) but when JHU Fall scrimmaged Michigan in Ann Arbor many years ago, you invited all the attendees (alumni of Hop & Army as I remember) to your Bar for drinks on the "House". Very nice and appreciated. Your only request was to "tip the Girls" (the waitresses). Which we did. ;) anyhow, thank you again for your generosity.
It was my pleasure, and I very much remember! The crews from West Point and Homewood were just fantastic...told great stories, and were a ton of fun. It was a great day for lacrosse, and was the shot across the bow to get D1 lacrosse in Ann Arbor.....as usual, Hopkins lacrosse out spreading the sport.

You many not know, but Hopkins played at similar game in the summer of 1984 against "Team Colorado".....the game that launched 1,000 Colorado kids into the sport of lacrosse. That selfless visit from the undefeated Jays is still paying dividends to this day (Denver U, cough, cough). If I recall correctly, the great Peter Scott even helped out at the CU Boulder club team for a bit in the 80's.

Tip of the cap to you Hop fans. Unless they're playing Syracuse, of course. ;)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 pm

Just stop.

But a true defensive coordinator would have brought in a fresh perspective and taken charge of the defense. That wasn’t going to be anyone, at least not under Petro.

ftfy
Don’t do that ... please don’t edit another forum member’s post. Besides, I don’t agree with the substance of your edit.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

From the beginning of the season up through last night, the one thing this team has shown is joy. I don't think you can win without loving the game and each other. Even when they were losing, no heads were hung. I believe the tone PM set allowed him to make big changes that didn't shake up the team. but resulted in better play. While they were feeling their way, they were in every game except the opener. He may have found the right mix at the right time to maximize the talent he inherited.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:10 pm Hey Sag - any idea who posted this?

"You can say there's a kind of Hemingwayan Victory in Defeat here, but the future is just not looking bright.
This year's recruiting class has maybe one player who can help. The year after that has some four star recruits but no five stars.
The goalie situation is a hot mess. The guy who set the Hop freshmen scoring record is now keeping both teams in the game.
The best player is leaving.
By the end of year # three everyone is going to be screaming for PM's head and we'll be back to the Nads/Marr conversation again.
I don't know why they thought they could go off the farm and it was going to work out. It never has before.
Jenny, you have some 'splainin to do."

This is why you take into account all the variables that go into the situation - the coaching change, COVID, no fall, interrupted spring, no OOC games etc. etc. I do think Milliman deserves some credit - a decent amount in fact but it is NOT due to the fact that Marcille is now in goal.

I always thought Petro's coaching style - when it was exhibited in public - was potentially problematic in situations because some players could put avoiding failure ahead of achieving success to not incur the wrath. But to be fair - we were all pretty happy with Petro's style from 01-08. And Chic was certainly not John Gagliardi in his approach to coaching. Then there's the point that when you have Jack Thomas, Mike O'Neill, Jeff Cook, Brendan Schneck, Dave Huntley, Brian Wood, Del Dressel, Kyle Harrison, Paul Rabil etc. etc. etc. it's easier for them to "figure it out".
When I posted that, the future was not looking bright. The team was in a slide and was regressing. PM had called out his star player and team captain in the media. The Jays even lost to Michigan for the first time ever. Ugh. Things looked bleak.
Then he made the goalie change and the season turned around. You cannot overestimate the impact of that one single change. It's made all the difference. After that, things have come together. And you're right, everything else is starting to click, but none of it would be happening right now with a sieve in goal. No team can overcome that. The defense collapses and the offense can't overcome it and has to press. Things changed quickly and unexpectedly, but in a good way. But it was all due to that one change, for which PM deserves a ton of credit. Sometimes, miracles do happen. I think we got one this season.

BTW, I know a player from the group you mentioned who was not at all happy with Petro or his style. He'd been hoping for a coaching change for a long time. I'm glad that he finally got his wish.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:00 pm

Just stop.

ftfy
Don’t do that ... please don’t edit another forum member’s post. Besides, I don’t agree with the substance of your edit.

DocBarrister
Get bent Doc, please don't tell wgdsr what to do ever, he provides more substance in his posts than most on this site, especially your egocentric rants.

JoeMauer89!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:54 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:10 pm Hey Sag - any idea who posted this?

"You can say there's a kind of Hemingwayan Victory in Defeat here, but the future is just not looking bright.
This year's recruiting class has maybe one player who can help. The year after that has some four star recruits but no five stars.
The goalie situation is a hot mess. The guy who set the Hop freshmen scoring record is now keeping both teams in the game.
The best player is leaving.
By the end of year # three everyone is going to be screaming for PM's head and we'll be back to the Nads/Marr conversation again.
I don't know why they thought they could go off the farm and it was going to work out. It never has before.
Jenny, you have some 'splainin to do."

This is why you take into account all the variables that go into the situation - the coaching change, COVID, no fall, interrupted spring, no OOC games etc. etc. I do think Milliman deserves some credit - a decent amount in fact but it is NOT due to the fact that Marcille is now in goal.

I always thought Petro's coaching style - when it was exhibited in public - was potentially problematic in situations because some players could put avoiding failure ahead of achieving success to not incur the wrath. But to be fair - we were all pretty happy with Petro's style from 01-08. And Chic was certainly not John Gagliardi in his approach to coaching. Then there's the point that when you have Jack Thomas, Mike O'Neill, Jeff Cook, Brendan Schneck, Dave Huntley, Brian Wood, Del Dressel, Kyle Harrison, Paul Rabil etc. etc. etc. it's easier for them to "figure it out".
When I posted that, the future was not looking bright. The team was in a slide and was regressing. PM had called out his star player and team captain in the media. The Jays even lost to Michigan for the first time ever. Ugh. Things looked bleak.
Then he made the goalie change and the season turned around. You cannot overestimate the impact of that one single change. It's made all the difference. After that, things have come together. And you're right, everything else is starting to click, but none of it would be happening right now with a sieve in goal. No team can overcome that. The defense collapses and the offense can't overcome it and has to press. Things changed quickly and unexpectedly, but in a good way. But it was all due to that one change, for which PM deserves a ton of credit. Sometimes, miracles do happen. I think we got one this season.

BTW, I know a player from the group you mentioned who was not at all happy with Petro or his style. He'd been hoping for a coaching change for a long time. I'm glad that he finally got his wish.
Marcille has been excellent, but the team has been steadily improving all season. B1G is a particularly strong conference this season, despite what the detractors say. It was tough winning while the team was still a work in progress. That’s what has been positive all season ... the Blue Jays seemed to improve most weeks, and the young men always put in a good effort.

With the consistent upward trajectory, it’s not entirely surprising that the Blue Jays are playing for the B1G championship on Saturday.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:01 pm

Just stop.

ftfy

DocBarrister
Get bent Doc, please don't tell wgdsr what to do ever, he provides more substance in his posts than most on this site, especially your egocentric rants.

JoeMauer89!
No W's cool and thoughtful and in general if it's a joke it's not anything, but if someone doesn't like their posts being edited like that it's reasonable to ask that not happen. And I am mabye 50/50 w Doc on many topics, so hardly his white knight here.

WG and I have some bet too which I think I owe him a Nirchis pizza or wings or something.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:17 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:01 pm

Just stop.

ftfy

DocBarrister

JoeMauer89!
No W's cool and thoughtful and in general if it's a joke it's not anything, but if someone doesn't like their posts being edited like that it's reasonable to ask that not happen. And I am mabye 50/50 w Doc on many topics, so hardly his white knight here.

WG and I have some bet too which I think I owe him a Nirchis pizza or wings or something.
FFG,
I'm not sure anything is a joke with Doc, but I catch your drift. Nice bet!

JoeMauer89!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well I mean if a Syracuse fan wrote "cornell sucks" and then a Cornell fan wrote "Syracuse sucks" I might step in and change their posts to more acurately state "Syracuse and Cornell both suck and can't hold Hobart's jockstrap", which of course is absoultely true, and let them know by saying "here, fixed it for ya" and while I'd be correcting the record appropriately everyone knows its lighthearted. But if someone is doing anything beyond that type of stuff and the original author doesn't like it then it's fine to communicate that it isn't cool to said originator of post.

Now saying "don't change others posts" is a bit parochial and I think not appropriate, but to say, "hey, I don't like you messing with my posts on topics like this especially when I don't agree" to me is fine.

BTW, spent a chunk of the prior week with a friend who grew up kind of near Babylon but lives a mile from the Del Water Gap on Pennsy side now (tucked into a bucolic area that's sandwiched by rehab facilities - Poconos are a disaster). His parents just moved out there too from the island and they seem to think there's a mass exodous off of it.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I participate in several other message boards, two of which are journalism related.

FTFY posts are allowed, especially in fun.

The part changed was put into bold, and FTFY was added below. That follows the appropriate style guide.

It’s not like someone is going to dig back into this archeologically 100 years from now and misquote someone.

Who would be so sanctimonious to think they’d be misquoted?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You know who.

You're explanation is good though. Just felt like playing devils advocate to some degree. Personally change mine all you want. We still all know the truth as described previously...
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:14 pm I participate in several other message boards, two of which are journalism related.

FTFY posts are allowed, especially in fun.

The part changed was put into bold, and FTFY was added below. That follows the appropriate style guide.

It’s not like someone is going to dig back into this archeologically 100 years from now and misquote someone.

Who would be so sanctimonious to think they’d be misquoted?
Could not care less. I don’t want my posts edited, and people should respect that.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 pm Well I mean if a Syracuse fan wrote "cornell sucks" and then a Cornell fan wrote "Syracuse sucks" I might step in and change their posts to more acurately state "Syracuse and Cornell both suck and can't hold Hobart's jockstrap", which of course is absoultely true, and let them know by saying "here, fixed it for ya" and while I'd be correcting the record appropriately everyone knows its lighthearted. But if someone is doing anything beyond that type of stuff and the original author doesn't like it then it's fine to communicate that it isn't cool to said originator of post.

Now saying "don't change others posts" is a bit parochial and I think not appropriate, but to say, "hey, I don't like you messing with my posts on topics like this especially when I don't agree" to me is fine.

BTW, spent a chunk of the prior week with a friend who grew up kind of near Babylon but lives a mile from the Del Water Gap on Pennsy side now (tucked into a bucolic area that's sandwiched by rehab facilities - Poconos are a disaster). His parents just moved out there too from the island and they seem to think there's a mass exodous off of it.
Near East Stroudsberg?

JoeMauer89!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”