2021 Coaching Carousel

D3 Mens Lacrosse
LaxPundit07

Re: 2021 Coaching Carousel

Post by LaxPundit07 »

As incredible as a Ricky Sowell hire sounds, it is not all that "unbelievable".

In 2010, when WAC went through a coaching change, there were several high profile candidates. One of them is currently the head coach of a top 10 Division 1 program; one of them had just left an ACC school as head coach, and the other had been a D1 head coach and was a defensive coordinator for a top 20 program at the time. And the fourth candidate was Shirk, who they hired away from Division 1 VMI, who had played and coached at Maryland and NAPS.

For many years, the program name and this coaching position was highly regarded. Of late, the school and program have fallen on hard times. If the current lead candidate ends up with the position, it will do a lot to reignite the alumni and fan base. Fingers crossed! Nothing but respect and appreciation for Coach Shirk as he departs. He took us to a final four and conference championship. However, the past 4-5 years were rough; see the 0-7 start to 2020 before the pandemic shut down. Perhaps a change of scenery was best for all involved.
islander

Post by islander »

River Donkey wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:44 pm
SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:23 pm
boredatwork wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:12 pm https://gettysburgsports.com/news/2021 ... coach.aspx

Pretty big one
Absolutely.

So many alum, former assistants, current coaches at "highly selective/academic colleges", the list of candidates could be quite long .

Coach J will be missed.
My guess is Koudelka takes the position.
I don't think he'd leave Lynchburg at this point
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

The lead candidate could ignite the fans an alums, but does it ignite that administration? Alumni donations are great and they might help pay for 3rd uniforms, a 2nd helmet, or an another assistant, but will the administration put weight behind the program they way they did in the past, comparably, from what it sounds like. It seems like WAC used to but a lot of support behind lacrosse before it was cool. Now that others are other cool kids on the block too, and/or WAC isn’t playing that game anymore, will does a hall of fame player move the needle?
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

If Washington goes ahead and hires the alum that been hinted at(see previous posts) it will no doubt reignite some fire amongst the programs supporters. There are other candidates involved that the hiring committee is seriously considering as well. As mentioned before though the real issue is the administration that has allowed the program to slip over the last few year especially with support.

It's sad to see Coach Janczyk go, Gettysburg and WAC really were the superpowers of the conference for quite sometime and although Gettysburg still remains in the national conversation Washington has fallen off significantly. I do believe both jobs are in very unique positions, WAC has had multiple coaches over its storied history and success with almost all of them, while Gettysburg is strictly a Coach Janczyk creation.

Gettysburgs situation probably is as followed

-Current Alum Coaching- Positive:Would be popular with other alums, there is a pretty large pool of them with some nice pedigree's.
- Non alum- WAC had some great candidates applying for the position last time and went with Shirk, his tenure would be considered suspect at best, at least by my fellow alums. That said this program is currently in a pretty good spot from an outsiders prospective, unlike WAC when JB was leaving
- Current Assistants on staff-Know the school and the team, they have continued to be successful recently
- Coach Janczyk pick- Let him pick the successor, this might unify all the groups involved in the hiring process. Plus this man has built the program, he should have some say.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

JB had one losing season in twelve years. The program is way worse off now than it was in 2010. Jeff had a nice beginning to his tenure. But 0-7 in 2020 (including a loss to Illinois Wesleyan) and 2-6 this year (not to mention 7-9 and 8-7 the two years prior) is in no way comparable to one losing season that was derailed by a hazing incident in JB’s final year.

Nonetheless, I agree with an earlier poster. Reviving WAC has to be a multipronged approach.

1. Hire someone that understands the culture and knows what success at WAC looks like. (Ie. an accomplished coaching alum who played there when WAC was a top 5 program)
2. Systemic changes to admissions and financial aid. If you only knew the things they were doing, or rather not doing, behind the scenes there.
3. Hiring of a president that supports athletics and will be around for more than 2 years.
Bulletlax

Post by Bulletlax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 am JB had one losing season in twelve years. The program is way worse off now than it was in 2010. Jeff had a nice beginning to his tenure. But 0-7 in 2020 (including a loss to Illinois Wesleyan) and 2-6 this year (not to mention 7-9 and 8-7 the two years prior) is in no way comparable to one losing season that was derailed by a hazing incident in JB’s final year.

Nonetheless, I agree with an earlier poster. Reviving WAC has to be a multipronged approach.

1. Hire someone that understands the culture and knows what success at WAC looks like. (Ie. an accomplished coaching alum who played there when WAC was a top 5 program)
2. Systemic changes to admissions and financial aid. If you only knew the things they were doing, or rather not doing, behind the scenes there.
3. Hiring of a president that supports athletics and will be around for more than 2 years.
Clarke was the coach at WC when centennial was a 2 horse race. Dickinson, ursinus, muhlenberg, swat were gimme game every year. Heck D3 was like the Stone Age at the time compared to what it is now. Talent everywhere.

The “leading candidate” from what I’ve been told played at WC in the 70s or 80s and has been at the high school (private) level for his whole career. Doesn’t seem like the right move toward the future for a program in need of BIG change.
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

Openings:

Greensboro - Foderaro no longer listed and no link to staff - https://greensborocollegesports.com/spo ... sse/roster
William Peace - mentioned earlier
Guilford??
Beloit
Wabash
Messiah
Washington College
Gettysburg

others?
Last edited by Doxology on Thu May 06, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Gettysburg
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Bulletlax wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:02 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 am JB had one losing season in twelve years. The program is way worse off now than it was in 2010. Jeff had a nice beginning to his tenure. But 0-7 in 2020 (including a loss to Illinois Wesleyan) and 2-6 this year (not to mention 7-9 and 8-7 the two years prior) is in no way comparable to one losing season that was derailed by a hazing incident in JB’s final year.

Clarke was the coach at WC when centennial was a 2 horse race. Dickinson, ursinus, muhlenberg, swat were gimme game every year. Heck D3 was like the Stone Age at the time compared to what it is now. Talent everywhere.

The “leading candidate” from what I’ve been told played at WC in the 70s or 80s and has been at the high school (private) level for his whole career. Doesn’t seem like the right move toward the future for a program in need of BIG change.
It’s a fair point. But why hasn’t the growth of the game negatively impacted Gettysburg or Salisbury? I happen to know the inner workings of the infrastructure of WAC as an alum and former staffer. I can tell you flatly that the administration and department don’t support the program the way they once did. Hence WAC falling off while Gettysburg and Sals continue to do well. Again, it is a multipronged fix.

As far as the leading candidate, you forgot to mention he has led two of the top HS programs in the country, played professionally, and coached the U19 US team. We aren’t worried about his XOs. He also runs one of the most successful clubs around; he knows the recruiting landscape. To paint him as just a guy making a jump from HS to D3 just isn’t fair.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:09 am
Bulletlax wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:02 am

It’s a fair point. But why hasn’t the growth of the game negatively impacted Gettysburg or Salisbury? I happen to know the inner workings of the infrastructure of WAC as an alum and former staffer. I can tell you flatly that the administration and department don’t support the program the way they once did. Hence WAC falling off while Gettysburg and Sals continue to do well. Again, it is a multipronged fix.

As far as the leading candidate, you forgot to mention he has led two of the top HS programs in the country, played professionally, and coached the U19 US team. We aren’t worried about his XOs. He also runs one of the most successful clubs around; he knows the recruiting landscape. To paint him as just a guy making a jump from HS to D3 just isn’t fair.
He would be a great hire.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

islander wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:53 pm
boredatwork wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:12 pm https://gettysburgsports.com/news/2021 ... coach.aspx

Pretty big one
Absolutely.

So many alum, former assistants, current coaches at "highly selective/academic colleges", the list of candidates could be quite long .

Coach J will be missed.
I would love to see the Gettysburg go after Coach Milliman at JHU and bring him home. Can't compete with Bloomberg money but I'd have to believe quality of life would be no different and maybe better at Gettysburg.
head73

Post by head73 »

Re WC coach, there is much speculation about whom but do we have any idea when they will announce?
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Laxdds wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:02 pm

Pretty big one
Absolutely.

Coach J will be missed.
I would love to see the Gettysburg go after Coach Milliman at JHU and bring him home. Can't compete with Bloomberg money but I'd have to believe quality of life would be no different and maybe better at Gettysburg.
This is a joke, right? Unless Milliman gets fired there is zero chance he'd leave JOHNS HOPKINS for Gettysburg.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

ckstevenson wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:26 am
Laxdds wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:02 pm

Pretty big one
Absolutely.

Coach J will be missed.
This is a joke, right? Unless Milliman gets fired there is zero chance he'd leave JOHNS HOPKINS for Gettysburg.
Why not? He's an alumni had a great career here. I have no idea how much he makes at JHU and I know GBURG can't compete with Bloomberg money, but something is keeping a lot of great coaches at D3 Schools. Jancyzk was here for over 35 years I am sure he could have left for D1 almost whenever he wanted after he put Gettysburg on the lacrosse map.Coaching is coaching. All I'm saying is I would at least check to see if he has any interest al all before crossing him off the list.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

head73 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:02 pm Re WC coach, there is much speculation about whom but do we have any idea when they will announce?
On campus interviews taking place now. Sounds like a formal announcement in the next 2-3 weeks. Certainly before Memorial Day.
laxrat78

Post by laxrat78 »

PLANTHOLT to Gburg?
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

laxrat78 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:19 pm PLANTHOLT to Gburg?
I’d expect them to shoot higher than that.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:26 pm
Ned’s got the claws out...
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

ergit wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:47 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:26 pm
Ned’s got the claws out...
Hahaha .... and I was trying to be polite!

But seriously, I do think the eventual successful candidate will be coming from a higher profile current position. If my comment came across as disrespectful, it wasn’t my intent. Heck, another poster was shooting as high as Milliman! Maybe not that high .... but I do think higher.
laxrat78

Post by laxrat78 »

I hear you out but don't forget this is still D3 athletics. People saying Milliman are ripping the bong before posting. I said Plantholt because he's got a pretty good resume. He is a Gburg alum and is in their HOF.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”