C2C 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
EasternShoreLaxGuy

Re: C2C 2021

Post by EasternShoreLaxGuy »

Finally the awards are in! What a spectacular conference season it was, HURRAH!! Congratulations to every player for a successful season and especially to the recipients to this years honors. I cannot wait for the start of the playoffs. Great job everyone keep typing away and cheer on for the C2C.
Last edited by EasternShoreLaxGuy on Wed May 05, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ergit

Post by ergit »

EasternShoreLaxGuy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 pm After looking at the C2C Lacrosse yearly awards seeing Josh Melton on the second team is overdue. And after seeing his twitter account he should worry about other things rather than a yearly award with a conference of only five teams. Just my thoughts...
Obviously a good player but you are 100% correct about his twitter account and one post in particular. I’ll just bite my tongue and leave it at that...
ah23

Post by ah23 »

VALaxfan1 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:48 pm Anyone know who votes for C2C honors? Must be some CNU alum on the voting committee - No disrespect directed toward the CNU players, but this is a joke.

1st Team:
Dylan Rice - 14 games played - 34 goals 17 Assists, Pts. 51
Alex Brendes - 14 games played - 33 Goals 10 Assists, Pts. 43 -

2nd Team
Josh Melton - 12 games played - 28 goals , 38 Assists, 66 Points
I assume coaches do the voting; is that not how it works in every conference?

As for the players mentioned here - numbers don't tell the full story. If they did, voting wouldn't be necessary. Team style of play and other context matters more than just looking at the stat sheet. I wonder if this has anything to do with the majority of Melton's stats being put up in blowouts against bad teams. Just go down the game logs. 0/2 against Lynchburg...then 9/7 in two games against S. Virginia and Mary Washington. 1/3 and 1/2 against Cabrini and Colorado College...then 4/9 in two games vs. Susquehanna and Stockton. You can do this the whole way down the schedule. CNU is the only good team he put up numbers against, and both of those games were blowouts.

This is not to say that Melton is or isn't deserving...I don't have an opinion either way. I thought it was surprising. Just pointing out that coaches/voters look past the raw numbers when doing their voting, and they may have felt that Rice/Brendes were more impactful when their team needed them most.
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Rice and Brendes didn't exactly light it up against Lynchburg (2x) or Salisbury (2x) and outside of Washington and Lee, the rest of their schedule wasn't really challenging either. So it seems they scored a lot of points against lower tier competition as well. Overall, they're all worthy candidates, but it does seem strange for Melton all things considered. Best of luck to both teams going forward
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

EasternShoreLaxGuy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 pm After looking at the C2C Lacrosse yearly awards seeing Josh Melton on the second team is overdue. And after seeing his twitter account he should worry about other things rather than a yearly award with a conference of only five teams. Just my thoughts...
ergit wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:19 pm
Obviously a good player but you are 100% correct about his twitter account and one post in particular. I’ll just bite my tongue and leave it at that...
To both of you - Not sure I know what you're talking about - Pretty bush league to take aim at a kid who had nothing to do with anything said on this thread. I'm guessing neither one of you have ever even met him. Let's just say I know him well - Never been in trouble, multi-year captain and will likely rank 2nd in Salisbury history for assists - Yet you cite some tweet (which I'm confident was nothing)- If you you've got an issue with something someone posts, take it up with them and leave the players out of it. Your comments wreak of sour-grapes.
ergit

Post by ergit »

COGULL wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 am
To both of you - Not sure I know what you're talking about - Pretty bush league to take aim at a kid who had nothing to do with anything said on this thread. I'm guessing neither one of you have ever even met him. Let's just say I know him well - Never been in trouble, multi-year captain and will likely rank 2nd in Salisbury history for assists - Yet you cite some tweet (which I'm confident was nothing)- If you you've got an issue with something someone posts, take it up with them and leave the players out of it. Your comments wreak of sour-grapes.
To quote:
“ Whoever voted on this y’all are 🤡 but hey I guess we gotta give these kids participation awards”
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Hahaha I read that on his Twitter page and thought it was pretty funny. Rice and Brendes are good players, they are simply not at Melton's level (few in D3 are). I've watched him for 5 years now and love his game and wish more kids played the game like him. Absolute joy to watch.
Gullible

Post by Gullible »

ergit wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:15 am
COGULL wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 am
To quote:
“ Whoever voted on this y’all are 🤡 but hey I guess we gotta give these kids participation awards”
ah23 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:48 pm
VALaxfan1 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:48 pm Anyone know who votes for C2C honors? Must be some CNU alum on the voting committee - No disrespect directed toward the CNU players, but this is a joke.

1st Team:

2nd Team
I assume coaches do the voting; is that not how it works in every conference?

As for the players mentioned here - numbers don't tell the full story. If they did, voting wouldn't be necessary. Team style of play and other context matters more than just looking at the stat sheet. I wonder if this has anything to do with the majority of Melton's stats being put up in blowouts against bad teams. Just go down the game logs. 0/2 against Lynchburg...then 9/7 in two games against S. Virginia and Mary Washington. 1/3 and 1/2 against Cabrini and Colorado College...then 4/9 in two games vs. Susquehanna and Stockton. You can do this the whole way down the schedule. CNU is the only good team he put up numbers against, and both of those games were blowouts.

This is not to say that Melton is or isn't deserving...I don't have an opinion either way. I thought it was surprising. Just pointing out that coaches/voters look past the raw numbers when doing their voting, and they may have felt that Rice/Brendes were more impactful when their team needed them most.
It looked like to me that Melton made a conscious decision to fill a sorely needed role on this team this season. I don't care how you look at it, the voting makes no sense. This is just a case where they didn't want Salisbury to get too many awards. He's accomplished about everything in his career -I'd doubt if Melton cares much at this point anyway. A ring is what this team is looking for.
Gullible

Post by Gullible »

Ergit- Don't knock him for speaking the truth - Sour grapes indeed :lol:
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

I think Melton has the right to be upset, even if most of his numbers were against not as good opponents. Those were the same not as good opponents that the other C2C teams were up against. And as far as his tweet goes, I don’t think he is in the wrong at all, they were clowning him.
EasternShoreLaxGuy

Post by EasternShoreLaxGuy »

I mean no disrespect, Josh Melton is an excellent lacrosse player, one of the best to ever do it at Salisbury. I have a personal angst about social media and my first reaction was just to say something. My emotions got the best of me to ridicule a great lacrosse player for some tweets. It doesn't overshadow all the accomplishments he has and his play on the field. I am excited for todays semifinal games!
Noz

Post by Noz »

If the criteria is points, games, & impact on team; then, there is one player that really has a gripe more than others.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Just keep working, Josh. Keep grinding and remember where you came from!
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

1st Team:

2nd Team
7 of the 14 1st teamers are from Salisbury, including the Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, and Coaching staff of the year. Maybe the coaches had Salisbury overload.

In the last few years I have watched the voting, it seems that the voters put a premium on scoring goals vs. assists. That might explain part of this (of course not if you are looking at Goals per game).

Melton is amazing, and deserving of any/all accolades. If he were 1st team, that would not have surprised me in the slightest.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

Man! Salisbury looks like they are coming into form. I know that nobody really feared that they would lose this game, but the Gulls were outstanding in every facet this afternoon. The Gulls had 20 goals at half and I don't think they gave one up in the 2nd half. The ball movement by the offense was superb and the D held SM to a total of 3 goals... Props to Cross Ferarra - 4 Goals and 4 assists and he had some beautiful feeds that I didn't know he had in him - Reminded me a bit of Blondino out there the way he was running and slinging the rock. If this trend continues, it will be HUGE for the Gulls. Right on cue the Gulls play maybe their best game of the season on the opening day of the playoffs.

Keep it up Boys!! Go Gulls !!
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

Props to SVU for putting up a good fight against CNU today. After the first 5 minutes, CNU started dialing in their shots and took a 6-1 lead after 1. 2nd quarter was much of the same, and CNU led 12-2 at halftime. SVU got some good looks but couldn't cash in.

The Knights' much-maligned defense came to life and held the Captains to 2 goals in the 2nd half. SVU's goalie was outstanding, with 19 saves. The offense turned it up, and scored 8. CNU's lead was down to 3 with about 4 minutes left, and it felt like it was possibly anyone's game.

CNU's goalie made a huge save on the doorstep on a shot that would have cut the deficit to 2. That may have been the final turning point in the game.

SVU is a program on the rise, and they have no reason to hang their heads after today's effort.

Glad I stayed around to watch the whole thing. Good luck to the Captains in the C2C finals...looks like the Gulls are on a roll!
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

LarumVictoia wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:12 pm Man! Salisbury looks like they are coming into form. I know that nobody really feared that they would lose this game, but the Gulls were outstanding in every facet this afternoon. The Gulls had 20 goals at half and I don't think they gave one up in the 2nd half. The ball movement by the offense was superb and the D held SM to a total of 3 goals... Props to Cross Ferarra - 4 Goals and 4 assists and he had some beautiful feeds that I didn't know he had in him - Reminded me a bit of Blondino out there the way he was running and slinging the rock. If this trend continues, it will be HUGE for the Gulls. Right on cue the Gulls play maybe their best game of the season on the opening day of the playoffs.

Keep it up Boys!! Go Gulls !!
Larum, I think this was the type of offensive performance we are accustomed to ;) Movement was crisp, 1 on 1 dodging was impactful and generated offense, and their defense was lights out. I may have missed this (I've been off the grid for a few days), but any idea where Ellis was? Matty Back was in cage and did a solid job, but hoping Ellis isn't out long-term
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Any color on last night's game? I only saw a box score, so limited understanding of how the game played out. Admittedly surprised Melton and Ferrara didn't have a larger "stat sheet" impact on the game...was this due to CNUs defensive posture, running the O through the midfield...something else?
jusreLaxin

Post by jusreLaxin »

It looked like CNU knew if they could keep Salisbury to around the 10 goal range, they had a chance. Bromwell is a shooter, not much of offensive threat other than that. CNU played him loose and let the goalie do his job, this allowed CNU's defense to put more pressure on the attack. Bromwell isn't known for feeding either, so it's worth 3-4 goals to lock out the attack.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

D3
First off, props to CNU for playing a good game - Props to SU Goalie Matty Back stepping in for Ellis and playing a great game. The close score was due to a combination of things (i.e., 0/5 EMO, strong CNU goalie play, untimely TO's). Tough playing a good team three times. CNU D was definitely playing to take limit the attack scoring but this isn't really anything new. Moroney had a good game but, Melton hit the pipes twice and CNU's goalie made some good saves on both Ferrara and Melton.

But great teams win when when things aren't necessarily going perfectly and there are some positives that came out of this game for the Gulls. First, I never like it when the Gulls are moving through the playoffs without having been tested. With all the craziness associated with this COVID season, I think it will be really beneficial for the Gulls having faced a tighter scoring game heading into NCAA's. Also, this game should be a good confidence builder for the first line midis (specifically Dowd and Nestor). Bromwell-3 Nestor-2 & Dowd w/ 3 goals and 4 assists should help build on their confidence and will help to keep defenses honest. I'd also like to give a shout out to the John DeFazio - The freshman had a strong game and continues to impress.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”