Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
hickorystick

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by hickorystick »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 am Observation isn't racist. Stereotyping is racist. The NBA could be 99% black and "blacks are good basketball players" still wouldn't be true. The NBA has a high percentage of black basketball players would be true.
So if an Icelander leaves his first NBA experience (game) and says, "Boy, blacks are very good basketball players.", that's a racist statement?

A high percentage of blacks, or very high percentage?

Norwegians are good skiers.
Racist, stereotyping, or just true?

Too many are too quick to holler racist and stereotyping when that just isn't true, IMO.
hickorystick

Post by hickorystick »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:16 am blacks are good basketball players. Italians are good cooks. Democrats are child molesters. I guess you can just block his posts...
And I guess you don't try to have a reasonable discussion with this guy.
Pitiful response and good example of why this discussion goes on and on.
Did I mention pitiful response.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:22 am And I guess you don't try to have a reasonable discussion with this guy.
Many have tried, hickory. myself included. speaking for myself, there has to be a point where i say, why am i talking to this person? someone who believes that blacks are..., Democrats are..., etc. Every post is some variance of, See! Dems are child molesters! which, hickory, i hope you can see is utterly ridiculous. Even if he said, some Dems are child molesters... and Reps are not? Hickory, who has the time for this?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 am So if an Icelander leaves his first NBA experience (game) and says, "Boy, blacks are very good basketball players.", that's a racist statement?
Yes. *These* blacks are good basketball players. blacks are good basketball players is a(n untrue) stereotype.
hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 am ... Too many are too quick to holler racist and stereotyping when that just isn't true, IMO.
Maybe. Or, maybe, you're not sensitive to these issues.
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 am Observation isn't racist. Stereotyping is racist. The NBA could be 99% black and "blacks are good basketball players" still wouldn't be true. The NBA has a high percentage of black basketball players would be true.
So if an Icelander leaves his first NBA experience (game) and says, "Boy, blacks are very good basketball players.", that's a racist statement?

Too many are too quick to holler racist and stereotyping when that just isn't true, IMO.
They aren’t good basketball players because they are black. Those kids are good because it’s what they spend time on. The skiers from Scandinavia are good not because they are white, they are good because it’s what they spend time on. South American soccer players are not good because they are Latino, they are good because it’s what they spend time on.

The statement isn’t racist. It’s a stereotype. The two things are not the same but can be conflated.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:16 am blacks are good basketball players. Italians are good cooks. Democrats are child molesters. I guess you can just block his posts...
It’s like saying, Asians are good in math. What people don’t know is that the old stereotype about Asians included being done. The USA conducted a program to attract Asian immigrants to this country that had strong math skills. So after skimming the top, the stereotype became, Asians are good in math when in fact, the families that places an emphasis on math were good in math.

I believe Nigerians have more advanced degrees in this country than any other ethnic group. Most that immigrate here are the cream. Lots of people in Lagos without advanced degrees.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

And there are tons of blacks, norwegians, and south americans who don't spend their time playing basketball, skiing, and playing soccer and... They're not good at each. thus not only making these stereotypes but untrue stereotypes.
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:49 am And there are tons of blacks, norwegians, and south americans who don't spend their time playing basketball, skiing, and playing soccer and... They're not good at each. thus not only making these stereotypes but untrue stereotypes.
+1
hickorystick

Post by hickorystick »

Am afraid it's you who is not worth having the discussion with, Mantum. Do you really think that I (and most) others don't recognize that it's culture and environment that are the biggest contributing factors to what one group might excel at?
Indians are good lacrosse players. Racist? Stereotyping? You think I don't: know they're born with a stick in their hand or a Norwegian is born on skies, or, or, or?
An observation does not have to be viewed as racist, too many want to make it racist when it's not at all.
Some of you here think people are much more shallow/ignorant than they are. Guess we just aren't as pure and righteous in our thoughts as you (between your ears anyway) when we say things like Canadians are good hockey players. You don:'t need to over think that.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:40 am

They aren’t good basketball players because they are black. Those kids are good because it’s what they spend time on. The skiers from Scandinavia are good not because they are white, they are good because it’s what they spend time on. South American soccer players are not good because they are Latino, they are good because it’s what they spend time on.

The statement isn’t racist. It’s a stereotype. The two things are not the same but can be conflated.
And therein lies the problem. Who is interpreting the statement and why? Any nuance and/or context is immediately ignored by people like Matnum PI and doc, who seem to be following some, IMO, dangerous new religion based on a desire to control/interpret language, in order to shut down speech, and/or grab some moral high ground and power. When a large portion of society starts to adopt this religion (it's happening folks), people will begin not trusting each other and will fear to honestly express themselves for fear of losing their jobs or being physically beaten, i.e.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Question (and this is as good as a place as any to put the question which is...) Why so much emphasis on having more black lacrosse players? I understand that we (and our children) benefit from having more contact with a diverse population of people and... Why specifically within lacrosse? We follow/play lacrosse and have that in common but... we also have jobs. Wouldn't our hiring more diversely have a stronger impact than having a black on our middy line? In the grand scheme of things, does black children seeing more blacks within our sport really matter?
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:05 amAn observation does not have to be viewed as racist, too many want to make it racist when it's not at all.
True. And some observations like, blacks are good basketball players is racist. and you may say, what's racist about Norwegians are good skiers?! and there's a truth to this. because we see this statement in a vacuum. but when we say, Blacks are good basketball players or Chinese are good at math or Jews are good with money or... It has a very different meaning. It's no longer in a vacuum. The statement serves to stereotype and categorize.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06 am And therein lies the problem. Who is interpreting the statement and why? Any nuance and/or context is immediately ignored by people like Matnum PI and doc, who seem to be following some, IMO, dangerous new religion based on a desire to control/interpret language, in order to shut down speech, and/or grab some moral high ground and power. When a large portion of society starts to adopt this religion (it's happening folks), people will begin not trusting each other and will fear to honestly express themselves for fear of losing their jobs or being physically beaten, i.e.
Tech, what's being discussed isn't new. It's been around for multiple decades. It's just new to you.
Caddy Day
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:05 am Am afraid it's you who is not worth having the discussion with, Mantum. Do you really think that I (and most) others don't recognize that it's culture and environment that are the biggest contributing factors to what one group might excel at?
Indians are good lacrosse players. Racist? Stereotyping? You think I don't: know they're born with a stick in their hand or a Norwegian is born on skies, or, or, or?
An observation does not have to be viewed as racist, too many want to make it racist when it's not at all.
Some of you here think people are much more shallow/ignorant than they are. Guess we just aren't as pure and righteous in our thoughts as you (between your ears anyway) when we say things like Canadians are good hockey players. You don:'t need to over think that.

+1
hickorystick

Post by hickorystick »

No, Mantum, those statements have very different meanings when someone interprets them as having a different meaniing than what the person saying them meant. It does not make the person saying them racist, it makes the person interpreting them wrong and too quick to ride on their horse, Sanctimonious..
hickorystick

Post by hickorystick »

No, Mantum, those statements have very different meanings when someone interprets them as having a different meaniing than what the person saying them meant. It does not make the person saying them racist, it makes the person interpreting them wrong and too quick to ride on their horse, Sanctimonious..
Typical Lax Dad

hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:35 am No, Mantum, those statements have very different meanings when someone interprets them as having a different meaniing than what the person saying them meant. It does not make the person saying them racist, it makes the person interpreting them wrong and too quick to ride on their horse, Sanctimonious..
It doesn't make the person racist. It is a racist stereotype.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:40 am

And therein lies the problem. Who is interpreting the statement and why? Any nuance and/or context is immediately ignored by people like Matnum PI and doc, who seem to be following some, IMO, dangerous new religion based on a desire to control/interpret language, in order to shut down speech, and/or grab some moral high ground and power. When a large portion of society starts to adopt this religion (it's happening folks), people will begin not trusting each other and will fear to honestly express themselves for fear of losing their jobs or being physically beaten, i.e.
Can you speak for what offends a woman? or can a woman better articulate what is offensive to that gender?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

hick, that may not be what you mean but that's what's being heard. and by *many* more people than just me.
Caddy Day
hickorystick

Post by hickorystick »

So let's never, ever say again that Indians are good lacrosse players because that's racist stereotyping.

Return to “POLITICS”