Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:38 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:54 pm
I said when Trump was running he would turn this country into the Congo. I was wrong. I apologize to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

MAGA
The new, new last King of Scotland?
:lol: :lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:41 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:39 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:19 pm But our taxes are low.
My taxes aren't low. They went up under Trump after the state tax deduction was capped.
Transfer of wealth from blue states to red states..among other things

https://fortune.com/2017/11/03/trump-go ... -2017/amp/

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018 ... sequences/
Sort of, I took a $5k hit because of SALT for 2020. Though the state is looking pretty purple at the moment and Brian Kemp is making it worse for Trump each day.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:41 pm
My taxes aren't low. They went up under Trump after the state tax deduction was capped.

Sort of, I took a $5k hit because of SALT for 2020. Though the state is looking pretty purple at the moment and Brian Kemp is making it worse for Trump each day.
Generally. NJ/MA/CT/NY/NJ/CA hammered
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Oh I know it was politicized, weaponizing the tax code which is dirty. But places like Charlotte, Atlanta and S Fla are getting waxed by it as well.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:09 pm Oh I know it was politicized, weaponizing the tax code which is dirty. But places like Charlotte, Atlanta and S Fla are getting waxed by it as well.
No doubt.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:40 pm
I said when Trump was running he would turn this country into the Congo. I was wrong. I apologize to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

MAGA
Hey, how 'bout we leave the Scots out of this altogether, eh?
They've always been a kind and gentle people, treated everyone fairly.
No pilaging, raping, stabbings (maybe a couple of beheadings) or fighting.
Unless, of course, they were forced to, in which case they were pretty damn smart about it.
https://www.scotclans.com/left-handed-c ... staircase/
Gotta love those Kerrs, hell on wheels.

But the Kerrs were aye the deadliest foes

That e’er to Englishmen were known

For they were all bred left handed men

And fence [defence] against them there was none

J. Hogg

They were awesome...best ever.

So well the Kerrs their left-hands ply

The dead and dying round them lie

W. Laidlaw

You guys should have to pay extra for this stuff,
the best tid bits ever.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:40 pm

MAGA
Hey, how 'bout we leave the Scots out of this altogether, eh?
They've always been a kind and gentle people, treated everyone fairly.
No pilaging, raping, stabbings (maybe a couple of beheadings) or fighting.
Unless, of course, they were forced to, in which case they were pretty damn smart about it.
https://www.scotclans.com/left-handed-c ... staircase/
Gotta love those Kerrs, hell on wheels.

But the Kerrs were aye the deadliest foes

That e’er to Englishmen were known

For they were all bred left handed men

And fence [defence] against them there was none

J. Hogg

They were awesome...best ever.

So well the Kerrs their left-hands ply

The dead and dying round them lie

W. Laidlaw

You guys should have to pay extra for this stuff,
the best tid bits ever.
Did you see the movie? If not, I highly recommend it. As an aside, Glasgow was crime capital of Europe (technically UK is not European continent) recently. Knife and machete attacks were the in thing!

Thanks for posting that link!
DMac

Post by DMac »

No, didn't know there was a movie, gonna have to look it up. Thanks for the tip.

As for the stabbings in Glasgow, well, guess old habits are hard to break.

As far as posting the link, no problem, was my pleasure.
Oh, and no charge. ;)
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:55 pm No, didn't know there was a movie, gonna have to look it up. Thanks for the tip.

Oh, and no charge. ;)
It’s a very good movie. Based on true events.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:02 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:41 pm

Generally. NJ/MA/CT/NY/NJ/CA hammered
Right you are. We in New Jersey got hammered twice. :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:56 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:55 pm No, didn't know there was a movie, gonna have to look it up. Thanks for the tip.

Oh, and no charge. ;)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Las ... and_(film)

Great movie even if I find James McAvoy often not compelling.

As for the real Scotland, I hiked 36km (Aviamore to Braemar) through the Highlands one March during a year off from Hobart. It was great except I had no idea what I was doing and while I got to my hostel in Braemar, it was so late they had sent emergency people out looking for me. Personally found Glasgow cooler than Edinburgh, working class, some musical heavyweights buried there and a pretty nice art museum. Not really a pastels kind of guy but they had a lot of interesting Degas works there. Bette live music too. Edinburgh was kind of sterile, like the difference between West Berlin and East Berlin in the 1990s or early 2000s.

PS: there is one terrific EDI Mean (as opposed to Idi) in the world. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.D.I._Mean
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Cooter wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:40 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:10 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 pm The Left now comes for Governor Larry Hogan. He’s, as we all know, now a “racist”. :lol:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... oor-367930

You woke left birdbrains think you’re safe. You’re not. Your entire existence now is ‘please eat me last’. Weak and pathetic doesn’t begin to describe your lot.
Same dumb post word for word...
Are you a Russian troll after all...who writes this dump cr-p for you?
ok, same response.

I'm guessing you did not actually bother to read the quite thorough article?

I'm a Hogan supporter, but the Red Line decision was wrong and, yes, driven by the politics of where his core support is, suburban white voters. Gotta remember that there's a lot of old school white conservative Dems in those neighborhoods, not just R's.

The article lays out what went down quite thoroughly.

The article does not call Hogan himself racist, but the decisions around where to spend transportation dollars in our state have definitely been part of the reality of our structural racism.

It will be interesting to watch how Hogan handles decisions the rest of his term (assuming post-COVID timetable). I wouldn't be surprised to see him get much more serious about investment in turning around these neighborhoods, dismantling barriers to social mobility. that is, if there's any sort of budget post-COVId...but this may be possible with Federal $ given the pandemic's disparate impact, as well as the greatly increased awareness of these issues today, and shift in how white suburban voters are thinking about them, over just a few years ago...

On the other hand, he may not be able to rise to that challenge and remain thinking about the Presidency through the GOP nomination ...however, IMO he'll never transcend Maryland if he does not...personally I do not think he's got the charisma necessary to make it, but he could challenge for a Senate seat if he wants to stay in politics.
Hogan did okay the purple line (boondogle).

These statements by the author seems to be rather misleading:
Yet not all light rail got the ax. Hogan did not cancel the Purple Line, which will open in 2022 and run through Prince George’s and Montgomery counties in wealthier suburbs of Washington and connect to D.C.'s Metro subway system.
The Purple Line and Hogan’s other budgetary priorities at the time of the Red Line cancellation suggest a pattern of favoring white communities over Black communities in the allocation of public funds.
I don't think PG county is particularly wealthy, and there are quite a few blacks living there (64.5% black, 14.9% non-hispanic white in the 2010 census). I think the eastern side of Montgomery county tends to be less affluent and has a fair percentage of blacks also.
One of the selling points of the purple line was to allow people from poorer areas in PG county to have access to jobs in Bethesda.

I don't see how you can say the Purple line is part of structural racism, MDlaxfan76.
nope, the Purple Line serves higher income areas, Bethesda, Silver Spring, College Park, New Carrollton.

https://www.purplelinemd.com/component/ ... ransit-map

we're not remotely talking about a service designed to provide access to lower income areas.

The Red Line in Baltimore was very, very different.

I'm not saying that the Purple Line did or did not have a valid purpose (primarily diminishment of traffic on the DC beltway) but it certainly is not comparable to what Baltimore needed...and needs.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:56 pm

Oh, and no charge. ;)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Las ... and_(film)

Great movie even if I find James McAvoy often not compelling.

As for the real Scotland, I hiked 36km (Aviamore to Braemar) through the Highlands one March during a year off from Hobart. It was great except I had no idea what I was doing and while I got to my hostel in Braemar, it was so late they had sent emergency people out looking for me. Personally found Glasgow cooler than Edinburgh, working class, some musical heavyweights buried there and a pretty nice art museum. Not really a pastels kind of guy but they had a lot of interesting Degas works there. Bette live music too. Edinburgh was kind of sterile, like the difference between West Berlin and East Berlin in the 1990s or early 2000s.

PS: there is one terrific EDI Mean (as opposed to Idi) in the world. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.D.I._Mean
My daughter went to Scotland last fall. She liked it. She also likes Wales. She found it peaceful. I wish I had my kids lives! As for Scotland, this is where my buddy grew up....

I love listening to his stories about growing up poor in Glasgow. It may as well have been Baltimore. People are people. My buddy was President of the NYC Celtics Supporters Club...he said drunk guys visiting from Scotland would ring his doorbell at all hours of the night to have a drink.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, so far I'm bigly disappointed in the movie. Thought it was going to be about those Kerrs and their counterclockwise stairs. Instead I get cows being shot, extra marital affairs, abortions, and Idi Amin.
Talk about a downer!!!
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:48 pm Well, so far I'm bigly disappointed in the movie. Thought it was going to be about those Kerrs and their counterclockwise stairs. Instead I get cows being shot, extra marital affairs, abortions, and Idi Amin.
Talk about a downer!!!
You think that’s bad....a guy I work with met Amin. He said he was crazy as hell!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:48 pm Well, so far I'm bigly disappointed in the movie. Thought it was going to be about those Kerrs and their counterclockwise stairs. Instead I get cows being shot, extra marital affairs, abortions, and Idi Amin.
Talk about a downer!!!
That was kind of my joke when folks were talking about Trump turning the US into the Congo, though obviously a different African country. But that’s the real world over there. My first gig before grad school as an analyst was for a small merchant bank and advisory firm that served sub Saharan countries and was founded by a couple of ex world bank guys. Corrupt and dirty as all get out.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:30 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 pm The Left now comes for Governor Larry Hogan. He’s, as we all know, now a “racist”. :lol:

You woke left birdbrains think you’re safe. You’re not. Your entire existence now is ‘please eat me last’. Weak and pathetic doesn’t begin to describe your lot.
ok, same response.

I'm a Hogan supporter, but the Red Line decision was wrong and, yes, driven by the politics of where his core support is, suburban white voters. Gotta remember that there's a lot of old school white conservative Dems in those neighborhoods, not just R's.

The article does not call Hogan himself racist, but the decisions around where to spend transportation dollars in our state have definitely been part of the reality of our structural racism.

It will be interesting to watch how Hogan handles decisions the rest of his term (assuming post-COVID timetable). I wouldn't be surprised to see him get much more serious about investment in turning around these neighborhoods, dismantling barriers to social mobility. that is, if there's any sort of budget post-COVId...but this may be possible with Federal $ given the pandemic's disparate impact, as well as the greatly increased awareness of these issues today, and shift in how white suburban voters are thinking about them, over just a few years ago...

On the other hand, he may not be able to rise to that challenge and remain thinking about the Presidency through the GOP nomination ...however, IMO he'll never transcend Maryland if he does not...personally I do not think he's got the charisma necessary to make it, but he could challenge for a Senate seat if he wants to stay in politics.

Yet not all light rail got the ax. Hogan did not cancel the Purple Line, which will open in 2022 and run through Prince George’s and Montgomery counties in wealthier suburbs of Washington and connect to D.C.'s Metro 0subway system.
The Purple Line and Hogan’s other budgetary priorities at the time of the Red Line cancellation suggest a pattern of favoring white communities over Black communities in the allocation of public funds.
I don't think PG county is particularly wealthy, and there are quite a few blacks living there (64.5% black, 14.9% non-hispanic white in the 2010 census). I think the eastern side of Montgomery county tends to be less affluent and has a fair percentage of blacks also.
One of the selling points of the purple line was to allow people from poorer areas in PG county to have access to jobs in Bethesda.

I don't see how you can say the Purple line is part of structural racism, MDlaxfan76.
nope, the Purple Line serves higher income areas, Bethesda, Silver Spring, College Park, New Carrollton.

we're not remotely talking about a service designed to provide access to lower income areas.

I'm not saying that the Purple Line did or did not have a valid purpose (primarily diminishment of traffic on the DC beltway) but it certainly is not comparable to what Baltimore needed...and needs.
As I posted, your statement about the purple line being part of structured racism is incorrect as there are many black people living within a few miles of the purple line who should benefit from it.
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:22 am
Talk about a downer!!!
That was kind of my joke when folks were talking about Trump turning the US into the Congo, though obviously a different African country. But that’s the real world over there. My first gig before grad school as an analyst was for a small merchant bank and advisory firm that served sub Saharan countries and was founded by a couple of ex world bank guys. Corrupt and dirty as all get out.
Yep. Incredibly corrupt.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Cooter wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:43 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:30 pm

ok, same response.

Yet not all light rail got the ax. Hogan did not cancel the Purple Line, which will open in 2022 and run through Prince George’s and Montgomery counties in wealthier suburbs of Washington and connect to D.C.'s Metro 0subway system.

As I posted, your statement about the purple line being part of structured racism is incorrect as there are many black people living within a few miles of the purple line who should benefit from it.

I have it on high authority that Owings Mills MD used to be a fancy part of Baltimore county, but when the state and city brought a train line to Owings Mills, within 2 years the place was decimated by crime and flight and is now circling the drain. Any you Bmore boys want to refute that?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why doesn’t Georgetown have a functional train stop? Maybe the orange line?

Why doesn’t Cobb Co GA have Marta like North Fulton?

Return to “POLITICS”