Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by Brooklyn »

Some delusional republicans in Lake Wobegone want the statue of Columbus to be returned to the capitol area. Mebbe they will demand some homage to Hitler as well ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:18 pm Some delusional republicans in Lake Wobegone want the statue of Columbus to be returned to the capitol area. Mebbe they will demand some homage to Hitler as well ...
This would look real nice:

“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:25 pm

This would look real nice:

with a few swastika flags for their offices
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DocBarrister

Research Findings: Racial Resentment Drives Republicans

Post by DocBarrister »

Trump has accelerated a decades-old trend toward parties redefining themselves by race and racial attitudes. Racial resentment is now the single most important factor driving Republicans and Republican-leaning movers, according to extensive research, most recently by Nicholas Valentino and Kirill Zhirkov at the University of Michigan — more than religion, culture, class or ideology. An ongoing study by University of North Carolina researchers finds that racial resentment even drives hostility toward mask-wearing and social distancing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -building/

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/hist ... 35655614=1

An interesting historical tidbit not widely known from that liberal rag entitled National Geographic

Turns out declaring our independence was delayed from July 2 to July 4 over language regarding slaves and slavery. The native "savages" did survive the final cut. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

“The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America,” an ecstatic John Adams wrote to his wife Abigail the next day. “I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival...It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.”

But the document meant to accompany the Lee resolution wasn’t quite ready. On July 3 and 4, Congress continued to discuss Jefferson’s Declaration of Independence. The most heated debate concerned a passage about slavery in which Jefferson accused King George III of violating the lives and liberty of “a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither.” In another passage, Jefferson accused the king of encouraging enslaved people to escape and join the English forces.

Instead of laying the foundation for the abolition of slavery, the Congress deleted the controversial passage and combined the fleeting reference to slave revolts with another line from Jefferson’s draft that accused the king of encouraging Native Americans, whom they slurred as “savages,” to attack settlers at the British colonies’ western frontier.

With the Declaration of Independence complete, the Continental Congress voted to adopt it on July 4, 1776. It was received with great fanfare, and July 4—not July 2—is celebrated as the anniversary of American independence. The new republic’s independence would at last be secured with its Revolutionary War victory in 1783. But for those the document left out—enslaved people, Native Americans, and women—the celebrated declaration proved to be anything but a guarantee of equality."

Now you know. :D
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Kismet wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:17 am https://www.nationalgeographic.com/hist ... 35655614=1

An interesting historical tidbit not widely known from that liberal rag entitled National Geographic

Turns out declaring our independence was delayed from July 2 to July 4 over language regarding slaves and slavery. The native "savages" did survive the final cut. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

“The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America,” an ecstatic John Adams wrote to his wife Abigail the next day. “I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival...It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.”

But the document meant to accompany the Lee resolution wasn’t quite ready. On July 3 and 4, Congress continued to discuss Jefferson’s Declaration of Independence. The most heated debate concerned a passage about slavery in which Jefferson accused King George III of violating the lives and liberty of “a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither.” In another passage, Jefferson accused the king of encouraging enslaved people to escape and join the English forces.

Instead of laying the foundation for the abolition of slavery, the Congress deleted the controversial passage and combined the fleeting reference to slave revolts with another line from Jefferson’s draft that accused the king of encouraging Native Americans, whom they slurred as “savages,” to attack settlers at the British colonies’ western frontier.

With the Declaration of Independence complete, the Continental Congress voted to adopt it on July 4, 1776. It was received with great fanfare, and July 4—not July 2—is celebrated as the anniversary of American independence. The new republic’s independence would at last be secured with its Revolutionary War victory in 1783. But for those the document left out—enslaved people, Native Americans, and women—the celebrated declaration proved to be anything but a guarantee of equality."

Now you know. :D

Interesting. Possibly explains why Democrats don’t celebrate America nor July 4, but they do celebrate May Day and Juneteenth. Thanks!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:03 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:04 am well, you did think of it before, but great story nevertheless.
Treating people generously as people matters. And their dogs.
No -- I did not think about it before. You choose to miss the point completely.
Until I read this thread, I did not give a second thought to the fact that they were black.
That was the point. We all have such interactions which are easily forgotten & taken for granted.
ohh, I got the point and completely embrace it.

I wasn't suggesting that you were particularly conscious of their race during your interaction or even immediately afterwards, just that you did think of it before deciding to tell the story. It wasn't relevant absent that consideration. No criticism at all in my noting that.

I believe you that you treated them in all sincerity as a fellow dog family, not based on any other characteristics than just another family. What is nice about that interaction also had nothing to with race. The warmth I felt about the story also had nothing to do with their race. It was just a nice story of someone being nice to someone else.

The story I told unfortunately had a racial component to the interaction, whether intended or not. It very likely was experienced as such, and it was unfortunate.
I get it. In recalling the encounter, I now realize that the family became at ease & appreciative. When leaving, the Dad gave me a fist bump & introduced himself by name & Mom said she looked forward to seeing us again. I sensed their unease upon arrival. I'm glad there were no other dogs present so I could encourage them to bring in their humper with no fear of being scolded by a more protective dog owner. In hindsight, considering their situation, having just moved "up the road" to a new neighborhood, as a black family arriving for the first time, with an unruly pit bull, they may have been rightfully worried about being negatively stereotyped. I believe that was YA's point -- there are countless random acts of kindness which are forgotten at times like this. ...& you can tell they are appreciated, the guard goes down, & nothing need be said.
👍
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Your daily reminder that Democrats are trying to incinerate Portland (please look at the top photo in the link), but the MSM doesn't bother to mention it once on any national program. Last night was an all out war.

https://www.koin.com/news/protests/riot ... 070402020/

Want to know how bad things are in Portland? The left mayor Wheeler is starting to blame the Left!

:lol:

There is a war raging within America whether we’d like to admit it or not. Communism, Chaos, & Mob rule vs. Freedom, Liberty, & Justice. v Sean Parnell
njbill

Post by njbill »

Kismet wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:17 am It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.”
Ed Sullivan was right all along. It is pronounced “shew.”

Younger posters: google videos of Ed Sullivan.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:05 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:33 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:10 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:30 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:22 pm
CU77 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:19 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:01 pm here's an interesting story- from CU Boulder: https://www.legitgov.org/cu-boulder-adm ... s-accepted
Try reading the entire actual memo, instead of right-wing blogs that misleadingly excerpt bits of it:

https://www.colorado.edu/today/newslett ... y-behavior
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:39 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:45 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:27 am sheesh, do you guys want Branch Davidian outcome or CHOP outcome?
Make up your minds...

Of course the deaths and rape and destruction are appalling. But they did it to themselves, undermining the whole notion of taking and controlling ground with no civil order.

So, yeah, I approve of how the Seattle police, courts, and mayor handled this problem, given much worse alternatives. No anarchist heroes, no martyrs.
what happened in the last week+, after the 1st shootings and killing (along with other reports), that made the chop patrol less able to guard their flank in the dawn hours?

did they all of a sudden become vulnerable to sleeping in?

it seems the mayor's over/under was 2. yours may have been higher, but whether it was polling or public sentiment, buying in finally to a plan from the local force got greenlit.
Yup, it certainly would appear that the break down of order, killing, rape etc took the moral steam out of the protest. My guess is that made it easier to make the move, both from a public perception that it was justified and inside there may well have been an acceptance of the inevitability. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those protestors were sickened by the breakdown in the internal order and simply left or stood aside.

We'll never know what would have happened with a police assault earlier in this process. Would it have been simple to execute, no sweat, or would it have been met with rage and more violence, spawning even more outbreaks?
sorry, mdlax. you don't get to play what if on this one. only in your mind if you can't come to terms. there are circumstances where that could apply, but not here.

there were several shootings and a killing before this one. same circumstances. same chop army patrolling.

the mayor obviously didn't have a plan at the outset.
tried to negotiate and plea her way out of it, and all that did was drop another body. or 2.

you projecting "2 is enough" by the chop crowd is just that. 2 (or 3) was only enough for the mayor. we know how it turned out, bc it happened.
I'm just not as sure about all this as you seem to be.

We do know what happened. (or at least we mostly know)
No argument, except insofar as this wasn't passive citizens who fell victim to some criminals.
Nope, it was people doing the stupid stuff that people do in mobs.
The perps should be punished.

However, we don't know what would have happened had the police gone in heavy early.

Do you?
You sure it wouldn't have been a blood bath?
Some of these folks were armed.

And then what?

What we also know from how it played out is there were no martyrs.
And this particular sort of 'protest' lost a ton of 'legitimacy' if it ever had any at all. I don't think anyone on here was ever cheering this sort of action on. But much more important than folks like us, it lost legitimacy with fellow protesters. It backfired.

Or at least that's my current take.
there's a whole lot of things i'd have done differently if i were mayor for a day.

i wouldn't expect a mayor durkan to mirror those actions.

what we are talking about, is the timing of the action that WAS taken. a week late. there is little excuse for that. beyond whatever you feel about alleged rape, assault and destruction, there were multiple shootings and a killing.

time was up. we're not talking about your "heavy early, blood bath" misdirection. they could've taken the exact same action a week earlier, and did not. to me, it's inexcusable. you're good with it. her number was 2 or 3. even after having the option of getting out of there with 1 and then doing the exact same thing they did anyway.

don't agree with the call there at all and don't give her latitude at all for differing approaches after the first. and really can't fathom the mindframe of anyone in hindsight saying... yeah, was probably the way to go.

summer of love indeed.
Fair argument with the benefit of hindsight.
It'd be interesting to hear the Mayor's self reflection at some point.
Politicians rarely self-critique, but I wouldn't be surprised if she acknowledged that she wishes they'd moved at least some days sooner, given what actually went down in those last couple of days.

But we arm chair QB's really don't know what all the dynamics were with the coordination between the police chief, Mayor, council, activist community etc. They may have felt they were getting close to breaking through, only to have the facts on the ground go further sour.

My perspective is that the bottomline is this sort of protest action became far less "legitimate" as a course to take, as it devolved, a lesson for future actions. And no martyrs.

Those are positives.

Glass half full.
If there was a lesson to be learned maybe some of the folks could have came back and volunteered to clean up the mess they left behind. You would not even have to be a martyr to do that. :D Some times MD you are just so sophisticated and so far out there in left field you leave all of the rest of us peons behind you with your chain of thought. I don't mean to pick on you MD but you are just so full of philosophical bullchit. :roll:
Again, free country, you're free to think what you want.
I don't have the patience for people who take over parts of a city and claim it to be their own. As mayor I would have cleared them out so fast it would make your head spin. The mayor chose to drag it on to what end? I suppose the mayor could have really been patient and just seceded the CHOP area to the insurgents. Let it be all theirs to keep. I understand your opinion about being patient, I just disagree with it 100%. IMO 15 minutes to make your statement and get the hell of dodge. These folks forced the police department to abandon their precinct station. How much will cost the city of Seattle to clean the mess left behind? I'm certain that nobody cares about that. :roll:

"Enforcing private property rights in an anarchist utopia has proven difficult. One of the CHAZ occupiers took to Reddit over the weekend to complain that their tent had been looted and their laptop stolen, along with $400 in cash. The CHAZ community quickly stepped in to reassure the victim that “a disadvantaged resident was in greater need of the items than you,” and to think of the theft as an “unplanned donation.”

A new definition for stealing from another person is now just to be called an unplanned donation... SERIOUSLY, anybody here in fan lax land believe that? :?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

… for those worried about the Elk.

“The fire did not seem to harm the elk,” said Keith Lachowicz, the Public Art Collections Manager with Regional Arts and Culture Council. Photos show someone riding the Elk while the fire burned in the concrete fountain base being used as a fire pit. No one was trying to burn or damage the Elk as has been reported by those with an agenda. The Elk base is covered in graffiti like much of the public space in the protest area.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:52 am If there was a lesson to be learned maybe some of the folks could have came back and volunteered to clean up the mess they left behind. You would not even have to be a martyr to do that.
Seems it has been tried. https://citizen.co.za/news/opinion/2095 ... ff-litter/

But, as this opinion writer notes, it would then make the cause futile. Seems #Shitting on someone doing a good dead, as viewed to them as a slap in the face.

The common denominator.....anger, which is the first part of forgiveness, there are still a few more steps to take.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:17 pm … for those worried about the Elk.

“The fire did not seem to harm the elk,” said Keith Lachowicz, the Public Art Collections Manager with Regional Arts and Culture Council. Photos show someone riding the Elk while the fire burned in the concrete fountain base being used as a fire pit. No one was trying to burn or damage the Elk as has been reported by those with an agenda. The Elk base is covered in graffiti like much of the public space in the protest area.
thanks 72. relieved to hear they were just burning and defacing the base.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:51 pm

Too bad one of the hooligans didn't light themselves on fire in the process. Would have made for poetic justice. Why can't they just bring their own firepit to the protest? :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Not clear who defaced the base. Tough to burn concrete. Sorry guys. It was a violation of law, open public fire. It was not the story pushed by the right wing scum bags an attempt to destroy the statue :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:02 pm

Too bad one of the hooligans didn't light themselves on fire in the process. Would have made for poetic justice. Why can't they just bring their own firepit to the protest? :D
… if the fountain had been on, they could not have used it as a fire pit.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

BREAKING NEWS: A mob in Boston has torn down two statues from the State House and set them on fire.

… oh wait, this occurred on July 18, 1776, upon the first public proclamation of the Declaration of Independence in Massachusetts. Sorry, old news paper.

… lucky some of the FL tough guys weren't there to give them beat downs. :lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Cooter

Post by Cooter »

All lives matter :!:
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Cooter wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 pm All lives matter :!:
I don’t want to hear about prostate cancer concerns. All cancer matters. When the Heart Association calls for annual donations, I ask them why don’t they make calls for all diseases?

🤡
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”