Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by wgdsr »

faircornell wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:17 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:12 pm playing the river.
Me too... I'm in de Nile
a little corny but not bad. dad jokes are en vogue under quarantine.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:53 pmNO!!!!!!!!
Please bring him back to Cornell. He was 0-3 v Hobart '98 through 2000.. Just poking at you CU77. No offense to Coach Milliman but, I expect Coach Nadalen to get the nod.
Last edited by oldbartman on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:12 pm
CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:53 pmNO!!!!!!!!
Please bring him back to Cornell. He was 0-3 v Hobart '98 through 2000.. Just poking at you CU77. No offense to Coach Milliman but, I expect Caoch Nadalen to get the nod.
:lol:

I think the Big Red are safe also !
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:31 pm
faircornell wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:17 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:12 pm playing the river.
Me too... I'm in de Nile
a little corny but not bad. dad jokes are en vogue under quarantine.
Well.. sort of a joke... I'd really hate to see another coaching change...
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I would also hate to see another coaching change.

Memo to Andy: remember when you didn't have the confidence/guts to hire Milliman immediately after Kerwick left, and forced him to go through that nonsensical "interim" year? Maybe that lack of confidence is gonna come back and bite ...
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:06 pm -- i doubt hopkins players are getting more scholly money
Maybe. Maybe not. But the coach can put the money where he wants based on the player's skill, not the player's family's need. Big difference.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:39 pm
Catbird wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:48 am Central NY is certainly not for everyone. Accuweather has it 40 and cloudy today in Cornell. Sunny and 60 in Baltimore and the trees and flowers are blooming. :D

Plenty of bucolic spots to raise the family in the suburbs north of Baltimore with a ~30 minute commute. :D

Was he born up there anywhere? His bio doesn't go that far back but shows he has spent alot of time moving around including a long stint at Pfeiffer before moving North to pursue D1 jobs.
Why do people act like Baltimore is some warm year round city? DC, south of Balt, had some pretty wretched winters too when I lived there. It’s not like going to Chapel Hill, Greenville or real southern cities. Just marginally better than Ithaca
I didn't say it was equivalent to a warm year round city, it is a significant step in climate from Central New York or New England though, particularly during the transitional seasons. My wife is from up that way, she would agree with me. People were making snow men only a few days ago up there and it is almost May.

Winters can indeed be wretched SOME YEARS in Baltimore/DC area, but they are typically not so through the entire season. You have pockets of nice weather typically interspersed between the blizzards and deep freezes.
But that's probably enough about the weather.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gobigred wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:18 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:06 pm -- i doubt hopkins players are getting more scholly money
Maybe. Maybe not. But the coach can put the money where he wants based on the player's skill, not the player's family's need. Big difference.
yeah. cornell has gotten their fair share of upper echelon players , though, no?
and all those guys that make up the meat of a team... ssdm's, army of middies, multiple rolling fogo's, your 3rd defenseman and the couple guys behind them ready to step in ensuing years... how many of those are getting major scholarship money at hopkins?
how about player(s) that have siblings in school, maybe even in the ivy league, from upstate new york? where you can live like a king at a fraction of what it takes other places? canada as well.
i'd say they have a disadvantage with the 200-300 k income group with star players. maybe that don't have other siblings in school. leaves a lot out there to have a leg up with.

the numbers would surprise on a 40 (or 50+ in hopkins' case) man roster in a sport that can only offer 12.6.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Catbird wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:04 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:39 pm
Catbird wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:48 am Central NY is certainly not for everyone. Accuweather has it 40 and cloudy today in Cornell. Sunny and 60 in Baltimore and the trees and flowers are blooming. :D

Plenty of bucolic spots to raise the family in the suburbs north of Baltimore with a ~30 minute commute. :D

Was he born up there anywhere? His bio doesn't go that far back but shows he has spent alot of time moving around including a long stint at Pfeiffer before moving North to pursue D1 jobs.
Why do people act like Baltimore is some warm year round city? DC, south of Balt, had some pretty wretched winters too when I lived there. It’s not like going to Chapel Hill, Greenville or real southern cities. Just marginally better than Ithaca
I didn't say it was equivalent to a warm year round city, it is a significant step in climate from Central New York or New England though, particularly during the transitional seasons. My wife is from up that way, she would agree with me. People were making snow men only a few days ago up there and it is almost May.

Winters can indeed be wretched SOME YEARS in Baltimore/DC area, but they are typically not so through the entire season. You have pockets of nice weather typically interspersed between the blizzards and deep freezes.
But that's probably enough about the weather.
Well you just happened to be the most recent in a long line of comments about bucolic and tropical Baltimore vs. armpit, may as well be the north pole upstate NY which is how you go the response. Grew up in upstate and am here now, it's snowed, but not stuck, a couple of times in the last week or so I can confirm and I'm on the PA border. But it was cold as balls when I spend a night in NW Va (think where 66 comes into 81 territory, slightly north around Winchester) a week ago, so having moved to Atlanta after the financial crisis and living in DC and NYC in between now and my upstate days I have a difference perspective on what is warm and what isn't.

I started grad school in DC in winter of 2003 and recall that Feb a nasty storm that shut the city down for two weeks or so. Barely got Conn Ave cleared by day four let alone all the side streets around my hood about 10 or so blocks from the Van Ness red line stop (I lived diagonally across from the retail strip that had/has Politics and Prose and Comet pizza which had come in just before I left if anyone knows that area, exxon gas station on other corner and assisted living facility managed by Sunrise was opened while I was there on other corner, kamikaze intersection heading W-SW up Nebraska through w blind spot)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:45 am I would also hate to see another coaching change.

Memo to Andy: remember when you didn't have the confidence/guts to hire Milliman immediately after Kerwick left, and forced him to go through that nonsensical "interim" year? Maybe that lack of confidence is gonna come back and bite ...
Any chance Greg Raymond would move over from Hobart?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

wgdsr,
You mean no JHU players receive need based aid if they play lacrosse? Obviously, need based has to be granted on the same basis as the student body, but I'd be shocked if the only aid granted to the JHU lacrosse team is 12.6 athletic scholarships.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:32 am
CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:45 am I would also hate to see another coaching change.

NO, NEIN, NYET.

In other words get the f*@#! out of here with that. We will go rampage Ithaca like Ramsey Bolton taking down Stannis Baratheon in GOT. Drink Finger Lakes wines out of skulls and whatnot if Cornell even thinks about such a move.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:55 am

NO, NEIN, NYET.

In other words get the f*@#! out of here with that. We will go rampage Ithaca like Ramsey Bolton taking down Stannis Baratheon in GOT. Drink Finger Lakes wines out of skulls and whatnot if Cornell even thinks about such a move.
:lol: He is one of my favorite guys in the sport. Also a very close friend of my neighbor. I would like to see him stay in Geneva. I like what he is building.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:03 am

NO, NEIN, NYET.

:lol: He is one of my favorite guys in the sport. Also a very close friend of my neighbor. I would like to see him stay in Geneva. I like what he is building.
So I had heard the shortlist to replace TW Johnson back in 2014 included Corrado, Seremet and Fedorjaka (and Pat Myers and Guy Van Ars) and admittedly was a little skeptical when he was hired, even the first few years, particularly the way 2015 closed out and losing to Bryant in the NEC finals in 2017, it took until 2019 for me to get fully behind him, but now my position is you touch, you die.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

NO, NEIN, NYET.

the other night i had a wondeful hermann j. weimer sparkling. i'd challenge anyone to find such quality on the west coast- particularly for the price.

however, i have not drank it from a skull. (yet)
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Johnny P working on his off hand and balance give it a try!!

https://twitter.com/JackPiatelli/status ... 8212634624
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:20 pm

NO, NEIN, NYET.

the other night i had a wondeful hermann j. weimer sparkling. i'd challenge anyone to find such quality on the west coast- particularly for the price.

Weimer is legit, I hate most white wines so the Finger Lakes region doesn't do much for me.

Skull drinking is a function of the skull, Ivy skulls tend to reduce the tannin in Reds and also pairs nicely with some soft cheese....
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:01 am
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:20 pm

NO, NEIN, NYET.

Weimer is legit, I hate most white wines so the Finger Lakes region doesn't do much for me.

Skull drinking is a function of the skull, Ivy skulls tend to reduce the tannin in Reds and also pairs nicely with some soft cheese....
:D

same on whites. but weimer is the best in class up there.

i have got into the FL rieslings, it's the one thing they do really really well.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DALaxDad wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:51 am wgdsr,
You mean no JHU players receive need based aid if they play lacrosse? Obviously, need based has to be granted on the same basis as the student body, but I'd be shocked if the only aid granted to the JHU lacrosse team is 12.6 athletic scholarships.
i would bet there may be more than a few that get financial aid.
i probably spoke too soon and with too broad a brush. hopkins' aid looks like it's pretty good. not ivy level, but pretty good.

if you add in the 12.6 scholarships, the edge probably is in hopkins' favor. you may know this, but if you mix the 2 for a player, ALL the financial aid money is counted as scholarship money against the 12.6.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:48 pm if you add in the 12.6 scholarships, the edge probably is in hopkins' favor. you may know this, but if you mix the 2 for a player, ALL the financial aid money is counted as scholarship money against the 12.6.
Probably? And the 12.6 can be used by the coach to buy whomever he wants. As I wrote above, BIG difference. Ask any Ivy League coach.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”