Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by faircornell »

The one hour interview is up on the Hill Academy Instagram for another 12 hours. I'd strongly suggest taking a look if you have time. It's all lacrosse at a level of relative sophistication that one doesn't see often, without the hyper self promotion that sometimes accompanies these types of social media posts.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

faircornell wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 am In discussing the transition of Dave Pietramala, US Lacrosse Magazine states that he is the only person to win a national championship as both a player and a coach.

While this may be true in the NCAA era (although I'm not sure), it's noteworthy that Cornell's Head
Men's Lacrosse Coach Emeritus, Richie Moran, played on the 1959 University of Maryland National Championship Team and also coached NCAA championship teams in 1971, '76 and '77.
And since they stated in lacrosse history, we should include Bill Tierney. Following the first NCAA DI Championship Tournament in 1971, The USILA held a "small college" tournament for 2 years for non-DI schools. Tierney played on the 1973 championship team from Cortland State.
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

College Crosse reporting that the final two candidates for the Hopkins job are Nadalen from Towson and Coach Milliman. Not what a Cornell fan wants to hear. It has been widely speculated that Nadalen has been the favorite for years if and when the Hop job opened up. Let’s just hope that is how this plays out. What is evident is that the new Hop AD - who spent 3 years as Cornell’s associate AD - is pursuing Milliman since she knows him and likely thinks a lot of him. I’m guessing her vote on this at Hop is likely the most important vote. College Crosse also reporting that announcement could come very soon.

Keep your fingers crossed that Coach Milliman is the Cornell coach for years to come.

VF
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Velvet.Fog wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:32 am College Crosse reporting that the final two candidates for the Hopkins job are Nadalen from Towson and Coach Milliman. Not what a Cornell fan wants to hear. It has been widely speculated that Nadalen has been the favorite for years if and when the Hop job opened up. Let’s just hope that is how this plays out. What is evident is that the new Hop AD - who spent 3 years as Cornell’s associate AD - is pursuing Milliman since she knows him and likely thinks a lot of him. I’m guessing her vote on this at Hop is likely the most important vote. College Crosse also reporting that announcement could come very soon.

Keep your fingers crossed that Coach Milliman is the Cornell coach for years to come.

VF
I highly doubt Milliman would leave what he's building in bucolic Ithaca...a nice place to do it.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Central NY is certainly not for everyone. Accuweather has it 40 and cloudy today in Cornell. Sunny and 60 in Baltimore and the trees and flowers are blooming. :D

Plenty of bucolic spots to raise the family in the suburbs north of Baltimore with a ~30 minute commute. :D

Was he born up there anywhere? His bio doesn't go that far back but shows he has spent alot of time moving around including a long stint at Pfeiffer before moving North to pursue D1 jobs.
Last edited by Catbird on Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Catbird wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:48 am Central NY is certainly not for everyone. Accuweather has it 40 and cloudy today in Cornell. Sunny and 60 in Baltimore and the trees and flowers are blooming. :D

Was he born up there? His bio shows he has spent alot of time moving around including a long stint at Pfeiffer before moving North to pursue D1 jobs.
All logical on your part, pre-COVID.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

tech37 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:50 am
Catbird wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:48 am Central NY is certainly not for everyone. Accuweather has it 40 and cloudy today in Cornell. Sunny and 60 in Baltimore and the trees and flowers are blooming. :D

Was he born up there? His bio shows he has spent alot of time moving around including a long stint at Pfeiffer before moving North to pursue D1 jobs.
All logical on your part, pre-COVID.
Absolutely no question COVID-19 must enter into anyone's calculations, and there is not telling how different people may look at it, however life will go on to the extent that it can.. I think Nadelen is still the front runner, but if Milliman is truly the only other finalist, it says he must have atleast expressed interest.

Personal anecdote, but my brother-in-law applied and is waiting to hear on a promotion/transfer at a defense contracting engineering company that would possibly bring him and his family to Maryland (to work in DC) from the New England area in the next few months if he gets it so it is not out of the question during these times, though it does make things logistically difficult.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Given (1) the Hopkins’ AD’s Cornell ties and (2) the fact that Milliman has shown the ability to recruit at the highest level at a school with a similar academic profile as Hopkins (Townson obviously is not in the same academic league), I thought Milliman would be a key target from the outset, and I believe he should be considered the front runner. If he does leave I’d be sorry to see it.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Milliman was reported to be one of five candidates who were interviewed (by remote video).

I will be very sorry if he leaves.

Time to email Andy to tell him to fight to keep PM!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Plenty of bucolic spots to raise the family in the suburbs north of Baltimore with a ~30 minute commute. :D

Was he born up there anywhere? His bio doesn't go that far back but shows he has spent alot of time moving around including a long stint at Pfeiffer before moving North to pursue D1 jobs.
Why do people act like Baltimore is some warm year round city? DC, south of Balt, had some pretty wretched winters too when I lived there. It’s not like going to Chapel Hill, Greenville or real southern cities. Just marginally better than Ithaca
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Cornell should hire Petro if Millman somehow gets JHU job
CU77

Post by CU77 »

NO!!!!!!!!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:53 pmNO!!!!!!!!
:lol:
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Ummm 🤔
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

tech37 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:21 am
Velvet.Fog wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:32 am College Crosse reporting that the final two candidates for the Hopkins job are Nadalen from Towson and Coach Milliman. Not what a Cornell fan wants to hear. It has been widely speculated that Nadalen has been the favorite for years if and when the Hop job opened up. Let’s just hope that is how this plays out. What is evident is that the new Hop AD - who spent 3 years as Cornell’s associate AD - is pursuing Milliman since she knows him and likely thinks a lot of him. I’m guessing her vote on this at Hop is likely the most important vote. College Crosse also reporting that announcement could come very soon.

VF
I highly doubt Milliman would leave what he's building in bucolic Ithaca...a nice place to do it.
Doesn't past history (Petro and Tambroni from Cornell; Tierney from Princeton; Tillman from Harvard; Tiffany from Brown) suggest that successful Ivy League coaches will leave if offered a bigger paycheck at a scholarship-based program? More money; chance to mine the brimming transfer portal if you think the existing talent needs an upgrade; scholarships; and, with this job, a the chance to revive a legendary program fallen upon harder times seems like a pretty compelling narrative.

Counter-example: armed with interest from a bigtime non-Ivy program, emulate Andy Shay when Virginia came calling and use the outside interest to show your worth to your current administration.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:46 pm

VF
Doesn't past history (Petro and Tambroni from Cornell; Tierney from Princeton; Tillman from Harvard; Tiffany from Brown) suggest that successful Ivy League coaches will leave if offered a bigger paycheck at a scholarship-based program? More money; chance to mine the brimming transfer portal if you think the existing talent needs an upgrade; scholarships; and, with this job, a the chance to revive a legendary program fallen upon harder times seems like a pretty compelling narrative.

Counter-example: armed with interest from a bigtime non-Ivy program, emulate Andy Shay when Virginia came calling and use the outside interest to show your worth to your current administration.
-- i doubt hopkins players are getting more scholly money
-- each circumstance, program switch, indiv coach is diff. and none of those mentioned involve moving into the cauldron and expectation of hopkins... espec coming off recent times. meaning, in all likelihood, you may be severely shortening your shelf life as a coach if you're milliman with the move. pretty big bet on yourself.
-- also, NOT making that bet keeps you at a program you've built that imo makes this a sideways move on team standing at best. and that's factoring in that you'd be able to upgrade roster, have better results, etc.
-- wildcard is that his ascension came on the heels of 2 coaches losing the spot at cornell in short order. with at least one of them not getting along with the AD. if he views that as something equal to the uncertainty of a hop tenure, then maybe point 2 is moot.
-- if he were offered, he'd be considering many other items and i don't know him. but this looks like leverage.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Trumansburger wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:34 am
faircornell wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 am In discussing the transition of Dave Pietramala, US Lacrosse Magazine states that he is the only person to win a national championship as both a player and a coach.

While this may be true in the NCAA era (although I'm not sure), it's noteworthy that Cornell's Head
Men's Lacrosse Coach Emeritus, Richie Moran, played on the 1959 University of Maryland National Championship Team and also coached NCAA championship teams in 1971, '76 and '77.
And since they stated in lacrosse history, we should include Bill Tierney. Following the first NCAA DI Championship Tournament in 1971, The USILA held a "small college" tournament for 2 years for non-DI schools. Tierney played on the 1973 championship team from Cortland State.
Thanks T-Berger! I thought that there was at least one player who won a NC at the DII or DIII level who'd won a DI NC. I imagine that the DIII coaching level, there are also coaches who've won as both player and coach.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:06 pm
The Orfling wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:46 pm

VF

-- i doubt hopkins players are getting more scholly money
-- each circumstance, program switch, indiv coach is diff. and none of those mentioned involve moving into the cauldron and expectation of hopkins... espec coming off recent times. meaning, in all likelihood, you may be severely shortening your shelf life as a coach if you're milliman with the move. pretty big bet on yourself.
-- also, NOT making that bet keeps you at a program you've built that imo makes this a sideways move on team standing at best. and that's factoring in that you'd be able to upgrade roster, have better results, etc.
-- wildcard is that his ascension came on the heels of 2 coaches losing the spot at cornell in short order. with at least one of them not getting along with the AD. if he views that as something equal to the uncertainty of a hop tenure, then maybe point 2 is moot.
-- if he were offered, he'd be considering many other items and i don't know him. but this looks like leverage.
I hear you. It still seems like, if he's one of the last two guys standing (insert standard disclaimer about reliance on rando twitter posts), he must be projecting pretty hard in interviews that he wants the job. It feels like it's Nadelen's job to lose/turn down, but still . . . last two guys standing . . .
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

playing the river.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:12 pm playing the river.
Me too... I'm in de Nile

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”