All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Cooter

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Cooter »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:51 am
What does that have to do with the coronavirus?
Well, if you think for a minute (a not altogether difficult task for most people) there have been back-and-forth discussions about the consequences of the previous election on the current crisis. For example, as I'm sure you are aware, we have discussed Trump_Stupid's decisions to undermine the CDC, the failure of that agency to properly execute its duties thanks to his incompetence, Dump's decision to issue visas to those who came from areas infected with the plague, the failure of leadership in other regards, his divisiveness, etc. Now, some of you on this forum succumb to the delusionalism of right wing political correctness so you may not want the USA to take a different direction politically. But those of us who care for the USA and for everyone within it much prefer to take a wiser political direction. All this has been hinted at previously on this thread.
I do think, and noticed there was a thread on elections 2020 here on the Politics topic. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:48 pm I strongly support the rights of Democrats to fly the flag of the Chinese Communist Party, or ISIS.
Similarly, I strongly support the rights of Republicans to fly the Russian or North Korean flag.
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

Covid-19 is now among the top three causes of death in the United States. In some recent days, Covid-19 deaths have even exceeded cancer and heart disease deaths, which is truly remarkable. About ten times as many people are dying daily from Covid-19 as the “common flu.”

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1830480/

All of this despite the most extreme pandemic mitigation efforts in over a century.

Those of you who kept saying this was like the flu can shut the hell up now.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

When you ramp up death numbers by 3700 in one day with no data to back it up, like NY State did last week with “assumed deaths” you get those massive numbers.

Science is actually showing its much less deadly than we originally thought:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-data-s ... McOoBAI9Hj
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:10 am When you ramp up death numbers by 3700 in one day with no data to back it up, like NY State did last week with “assumed deaths” you get those massive numbers.

Even those new numbers make the mortality rate ten to thirty times that of “ordinary flu.” That doesn’t even include the far greater transmissibility.

By the way, when are you going change the racist and xenophobic title of this thread?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Donald Trump’s Negligent Homicide Count = 37,611

Post by DocBarrister »

As we all know, South Korea and the United States had their first confirmed coronavirus case on virtually the same day. South Korea actually had the larger hot spot initially, but then acted quickly and decisively to contain the pandemic. In contrast, Donald Trump willfully lied to the American people and downplayed the threat for nearly two months, and continues to downplay the pandemic and act indecisively ... costing tens of thousands of American lives.

For various reasons, Donald Trump probably cannot be held legally culpable for negligent homicide, but he can certainly be held morally culpable. Anyone who continues to support Trump shares in the moral culpability for all the excess deaths caused by his willful disregard of the safety and lives of Americans. Trump prioritized his own political career over the health of the American people.

The excess number of deaths can be estimated by multiplying the South Korean death total by six (to account for population) and subtracting that number from the American death total.

Donald Trump’s Negligent Homicide Count:

39,015 - (234x6) = 37,611

If it were not for Trump’s malignant narcissism and reckless incompetence, the United States could have been South Korea. Instead, we are well on our way to becoming the tragic exemplar of incompetence in this pandemic.

@DocBarrister
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:10 pm
tech37 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:05 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:49 pm Personally, if I were to get the virus, I would take anything my doctor thought might help. Hoping, though, that ice cream, milkshakes, fudge, cheesesteaks, and beer prove to be the most effective treatment. Hoping it is not broccoli, cauliflower, or castor oil.
:lol: njb

I was just saying to a Dr. friend of mine the other day that if I wasn't doing well with COVID, I'd ask in a nanosecond to go to HCQ+Z with the hope to avoid intubation at all costs. In my mind it's worth the risk. His daughter BTW, a Dr. who specializes in infectious disease, practices in NYC. :?

He tells me she's the physician who signs off on HCQ+Z usage for patients at the hospital she's associated with.
I go to a veterinarian. They’ve got to cure a lizard a chicken a pig a frog. They know what they’re doing.
:D

My point being (and I should have added), what an impressive and heroic daughter my friend raised.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The Fed stimulus payments are beginning:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.c ... -eligible/
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:12 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:10 am When you ramp up death numbers by 3700 in one day with no data to back it up, like NY State did last week with “assumed deaths” you get those massive numbers.

Even those new numbers make the mortality rate ten to thirty times that of “ordinary flu.” That doesn’t even include the far greater transmissibility.

DocBarrister
We don’t know about the exact mortality rate yet. Impossible to know. We won’t know accurately for years.

The reckless incompetence of the leadership of the great state of California allowed the virus to arrive unknown and unchecked from China many months ago.

And it swept through... undetected... until now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latime ... f_amp=true
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Here’s hoping we don’t see a spike in cases after Ramadan:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... tions.html
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:10 pm
tech37 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:05 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:49 pm Personally, if I were to get the virus, I would take anything my doctor thought might help. Hoping, though, that ice cream, milkshakes, fudge, cheesesteaks, and beer prove to be the most effective treatment. Hoping it is not broccoli, cauliflower, or castor oil.
:lol: njb

I was just saying to a Dr. friend of mine the other day that if I wasn't doing well with COVID, I'd ask in a nanosecond to go to HCQ+Z with the hope to avoid intubation at all costs. In my mind it's worth the risk. His daughter BTW, a Dr. who specializes in infectious disease, practices in NYC. :?

He tells me she's the physician who signs off on HCQ+Z usage for patients at the hospital she's associated with.
I go to a veterinarian. They’ve got to cure a lizard a chicken a pig a frog. They know what they’re doing.
cosmo! :D
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
6ftstick

Re: Donald Trump’s Negligent Homicide Count = 37,611

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:32 am As we all know, South Korea and the United States had their first confirmed coronavirus case on virtually the same day. South Korea actually had the larger hot spot initially, but then acted quickly and decisively to contain the pandemic. In contrast, Donald Trump willfully lied to the American people and downplayed the threat for nearly two months, and continues to downplay the pandemic and act indecisively ... costing tens of thousands of American lives.

For various reasons, Donald Trump probably cannot be held legally culpable for negligent homicide, but he can certainly be held morally culpable. Anyone who continues to support Trump shares in the moral culpability for all the excess deaths caused by his willful disregard of the safety and lives of Americans. Trump prioritized his own political career over the health of the American people.

The excess number of deaths can be estimated by multiplying the South Korean death total by six (to account for population) and subtracting that number from the American death total.

If it were not for Trump’s malignant narcissism and reckless incompetence, the United States could have been South Korea. Instead, we are well on our way to becoming the tragic exemplar of incompetence in this pandemic.

Combined population=320 Million
Italy
Spain
France
Unted Kingdom
Germany

Covid deaths-83191
-----------------------------------------------
United States population=330 Million

Covid deaths=39,090

Take out NY and New Jersey we have fewer dead than Obama's FLU death total.

So you might want to take your own advice and STFU about criminally negligent homicide and moral culpability.

If it were not for The Chinese Communists and the WHO malignant narcissism and reckless incompetence tens of thousands of global citizens would still be alive.
Last edited by 6ftstick on Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:50 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:12 am

DocBarrister
We don’t know about the exact mortality rate yet. Impossible to know. We won’t know accurately for years.

The reckless incompetence of the leadership of the great state of California allowed the virus to arrive unknown and unchecked from China many months ago.

And it swept through... undetected... until now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latime ... f_amp=true
That’s right, February ... just when Trump should have been ramping up coronavirus testing, just like the South Koreans. Instead, Trump would stay in denial for nearly two months.

It was Gov. Newsom, and the Mayor of San Francisco, not Trump, who led the way with social distancing mandates.

Trump has blood on his hands.

Again, when are you going to change the racist and xenophobic title of this thread?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:37 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:32 am As we all know, South Korea and the United States had their first confirmed coronavirus case on virtually the same day. South Korea actually had the larger hot spot initially, but then acted quickly and decisively to contain the pandemic. In contrast, Donald Trump willfully lied to the American people and downplayed the threat for nearly two months, and continues to downplay the pandemic and act indecisively ... costing tens of thousands of American lives.

Italy
Spain
France
Unted Kingdom
Germany

Covid deaths-83191

Covid deaths=39,090

So you might want to take your own advice and STFU

If it were not for The Chinese Communists and the WHO malignant narcissism and reckless incompetence Thousands of global citizens would still be alive.
(1) You need to stop watching the propaganda on Fox News;

(2) You need to stop reading Trump’s Twitter Cult Feed;

(3) You can’t just “take out“ New York and NJ, which got much of its coronavirus exposure from Europe;

(4) Last time I checked, NY and NJ were still part of the United States, of which Trump is supposedly president;

(5) We’re still in a crisis, and likely will remain to some degree in pandemic mitigation mode through much of 2021; and

(6) Here, this link is for your friends and family.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/opin ... Position=2

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Even conservative news outlets are suggesting caution about remdesivir:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/ ... term=first

"But the results leaked Thursday are far from definitive. The study in question is a “compassionate use” trial, in which experimental drugs are given to patients with severe illnesses prior to FDA approval. Compassionate-use studies do not include control groups of patients not treated with the drug, making it impossible to distinguish between the effects of RDV and the natural course of the illness. Gilead was quick to caution against reading too much into the preliminary results, saying in a statement that “the totality of the data need to be analyzed in order to draw any conclusions from the trial.” Indeed, the outcomes of the Chicago patients could be wholly unrelated to the treatment, and there is some evidence that the results are unexceptional."

Optimistic, and realistic.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:56 am
6ftstick wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:37 am

Italy
Spain
France
Unted Kingdom
Germany

Covid deaths-83191

Covid deaths=39,090

So you might want to take your own advice and STFU

If it were not for The Chinese Communists and the WHO malignant narcissism and reckless incompetence Thousands of global citizens would still be alive.
(1) You need to stop watching the propaganda on Fox News;

(2) You need to stop reading Trump’s Twitter Cult Feed;

(3) You can’t just “take out“ New York and NJ, which got much of its coronavirus exposure from Europe;

(4) Last time I checked, NY and NJ were still part of the United States, of which Trump is supposedly president;

(5) We’re still in a crisis, and likely will remain to some degree in pandemic mitigation mode through much of 2021; and

(6) Here, this link is for your friends and family.

DocBarrister
Propoganda? Those death totals are from the Hopkins Coronavirus Chart. No info contained here from Fox News

The point about NY and NJ is that minus that single hot spot the totals drop nearly 50%

The rest of the country is doing much better than you want us to believe.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Even the editor of the National Review calls "stupid!!!" on the "Back to Work" protestors:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/ ... erm=fourth

"A growing chorus on the right is slamming the shutdowns as an overreaction and agitating to end them. A good example of the genre is an op-ed co-authored by former Education Secretary William Bennett and talk-radio host Seth Leibsohn. It is titled, tendentiously and not very accurately, “Coronavirus Lessons: Fact and Reason vs. Paranoia and Fear.”

They cite an estimate that the current outbreak will kill 68,000 Americans. Then, they note that about 60,000 people died of the flu in 2017-18. For this, they thunder, we’ve imposed huge economic and social costs on the country?

This is obviously a deeply flawed way of looking at it.

If we are going to have 60,000 deaths with people not leaving their homes for more than a month, the number of deaths obviously would have been higher — much higher — if everyone had gone about business as usual. We didn’t lock down the country to try to prevent 60,000 deaths; we locked down the country to limit deaths to 60,000 (or whatever the ultimate toll is).

By Bennett and Leibsohn’s logic, we could just as easily ask: Why did we adopt tough-on-crime policies when crime rates are at historic lows? Why did we work to find a treatment for HIV/AIDs when so many of the people with the disease now have normal life expectancies?

Of course, it was precisely the actions we took that caused those welcome outcomes.

Consider the perversity of their reasoning a different way. If we had shut down the country a month sooner and there had been, say, only 2,000 deaths, then on their terms they’d have an even stronger argument, i.e., “We did all this, and there were only a couple of thousand fatalities?”

In other words, the more effective a lockdown would have been, the more opposed Bennett and Leibsohn would be to it.

As for the flu comparison, it isn’t as telling as Bennett and Leibsohn believe. The 2017-18 season, with 60,000 flu-related deaths, was particularly bad. But the coronavirus might kill a similar number — with the country on lockdown.

In the 2011-12 season, 12,000 people died of the flu in the entire country. New York alone has eclipsed that in a little more than a month (again, while on lockdown). In 2018-19, there were 34,000 flu-related deaths in the U.S. We’ve already surpassed that number nationally (yet again, while on lockdown).

Why have people reacted so dramatically to this virus? Bennett and Leibsohn have a theory: “New York City is where the epidemic has struck the hardest. The media is centered in New York City.”

New York certainly gets disproportionate media attention, but it is also, as all of us had no hesitation recognizing on Sept. 11, 2001, part of America.

If the disease struck smaller heartland cities such as Omaha and Wichita, would Bennett and Leibsohn hope that the story got ignored?"
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:56 am

DocBarrister
The opening sentence—after referring to the insidious presidency

The politicization of everything corrodes social and constitutional life.

Then why are they the leading purveyors of the politicization of EVERYTHING.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:16 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:36 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:08 pm
tech37 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:26 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:53 am
tech37 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:05 am If they were brown people you wouldn't hear a peep out of MDlax. He's a champion all right, champion of identity politics.
not sure where you get that from, but sure, I do think that folks have some legit beefs based on how more dominant parts of society have treated them.

You want to call that "identity politics", I'd just call it keeping it real.

But the comment about the 'idiots' in these protests weren't about any sort of racial identity politics if that's your concern...unless you see that in the Confederate flag stuff? I guess I'd agree with you that those particular protestors probably fit into the 'idiot' category. Same for the 'idiots' carrying the assault weapons.
Point is...if anyone who you consider a Trumpist ( :roll: ) had questioned protester's intelligence as you did, and the protesters were non-white, you'd be claiming "racism" on here. ;)
really?

Or are you saying that if someone said because they were non-white they were idiots?
Or called them idiots while waving the confederate flag perhaps?

This isn't rocket science.
Be racist and we'll know it.

Just be an idiot, whatever color, and we can know that too.
Does waving a rebel flag make a person an idiot? Does waving a BLM flag make somebody anti cop? Does waving a don't tread on me flag make someone a racist? Does waving a Betsy Ross flag also make you a racist? In America who should care what kind of flag you want to wave? The last time I checked we were all free to wave whatever flag we want. Hell if you choose to do so you can burn old glory in the street and in the eyes of some folks, that makes you a true American patriot. Any of you geniuses out there that can figure this entire mess out please advice as to what the solution is. That is what freedom means. When our government starts deciding what are good flags or bad flags this country is sliding down one very slippery slope that will not end well.
We quite agree that we have the freedom to be whatever sort of 'idiot' we prefer.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that the government or even a POTUS should be telling us what flags we should salute, which we should not.

But, yeah, if you choose to fly the Confederate battle flag I'll certainly understand that you're giving the finger to the descendants of slaves. But, hey, you might have some other intent and just be too stupid to realize the offense you are giving? Possible.

Pretty sure you'd know what flying a swastika flag meant to express, too.

On BLM, some may well intend to be offensive to police, but lots do not mean it the way those using the Confederate flag intend. They do all want less police violence disproportionate based on ethnicity. So do lots of police, btw.

The Betsy Ross flag, as we discussed, has been a recent appropriation by those wanting to send a racist message. But your having it clearly had no such meaning.

I'm strongly opposed to burning the US flag, but you and I would agree that the government shouldn't get involved.
You know what MD, this may not make sense, i am not sure there is a new generation of young folks that do understand the symbolism behind the rebel flag. How could they possibly understand when way too few of them have ever heard of a place called Gettysburg? Without that knowledge in hand they can never possibly understand the context of the discussion.
cradle, you and I are old guys, but I assure you that my son's generation knows darn well what the symbolism means.

white, black, purple, they understand.

and you betcha African Americans understand.
Way back when when i was in the army we use to drive to my friend Randys hometown in Marion NC. This was about as far into rebel ville as this NY Yankee had ever ventured. My car still had NYS plates on it. I use to get all sorts of warm greetings from the good ole boys there. One conversation with a good ole boy one day had me saying something like that war ended a long time ago isn't it time to move on. His reply was dead serious in the tone of down here, the war has never really ended. He brought up something most of us Yankees always sort of overlook and brush aside.

http://discerninghistory.com/2014/12/wa ... -criminal/

As vicious as this war was with family fighting family, brother fighting brother the union army was guilty of some horrific and barbaric activity. Sherman meant it when he said "war is hell" To a yankee like myself the march to the sea gave them rebels a taste of what they deserved. The aftermath of this march still has not been forgotten down south. To many of these folks it involved murder, rape, looting and just the wanton indiscriminate destruction of everything in their path. In the eyes of many folks down south he would in todays terms be considered a war criminal. In Yankee land he has always been a hero for driving the south to its knees. Before he was assassinated Lincoln understood the importance of treating the south as misguided brothers as opposed to a conquered enemy. His wishes were never realized and the south was treated as a conquered enemy. i am a life long yankee and i don't pretend to understand or defend why so many folks down south still feel the way they do for what the south use to symbolize. I do understand the deep resentment felt by so many southerners for the carnage brought down on the south. I don't agree with it, but I understand that 150 years has not tempered the anger still felt generations later.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:07 am

I do think, and noticed there was a thread on elections 2020 here on the Politics topic. :idea:

Well, this is the "all things" thread.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “POLITICS”