All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:12 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:49 pm
CU88 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:47 pm Reporters in that room need to demand he name the governor who allegedly asked for a certain number masks but got five times that number and then complained they didn't get enough.

Because that absolutely didn't happen.
Who needs to be in the room are the modelers that have shut down the world.

Or do they have twice removed whistleblower status.
6ft, with all respect, are you staying safe, helping keep your family and neighbors safe, best you can?

Or do you want to perhaps go clean some bedpans in a CovId-19 ward, without PPE?

Seriously, enough with the whining about the world being shut down.
is this the world you want to live in skippy. I don't. Don't want my grandkids to either.

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-galler ... topstories
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:40 pm CNN opinion piece:

I can’t believe China let us down. They are good guys:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/04/opinions ... index.html

You know what Chinese think of Americans? They think little of Americans....a Chinese billionaire that has plants here compares the American worker to a donkey. Believes we are spoiled so we have to be soothed...”A donkey likes to be rubbed in the direction it hair grows”....we don’t like to be made uncomfortable.... these are the people that Trump was supposed to trust. Send 7+ billion of supplies because Xi is a good guy. GMAFB
Yeah, Trump opened us up to China & gave away the store (so says the former Obama NSC propeller-head from her desk at the Biden Institute).
We'll all be better off when the Chinese Communists are in charge & were all working for them.
They're a great & ancient civilization. They care about global warming too, ...as soon as they finish building all their new coal fired power plants.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:12 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:49 pm
CU88 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:47 pm Reporters in that room need to demand he name the governor who allegedly asked for a certain number masks but got five times that number and then complained they didn't get enough.

Because that absolutely didn't happen.
Who needs to be in the room are the modelers that have shut down the world.

Or do they have twice removed whistleblower status.
6ft, with all respect, are you staying safe, helping keep your family and neighbors safe, best you can?

Or do you want to perhaps go clean some bedpans in a CovId-19 ward, without PPE?

Seriously, enough with the whining about the world being shut down.
I am glad you brought up the ppe topic. My wife is under strict guidlines on what they have to wear at the hospital. The face shields are the new mandatory requirement for all the nurses, doctors and everybody else that interacts with patients. There is one downside to the face shields. When everybody is wearing them you have to practically scream at your co workers so they can hear you. So now just basic communication with your fellow workers is becoming a challenge. I wonder if that could be a problem when you are being told what dose of meds you should be giving? Naaah, it will all be just fine. The next thing these folks will have to do is learn how to read lips. :roll:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
CU77

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by CU77 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:17 pm
There are two possible explanations for this.

1) Fauci genuinely got it wrong. If so, he's part of the early screw-up of the feds overall.

2) Fauci was under orders from Trump to play it down. We know that Fauci would get bolder over the next two months, but he may have been worried about being fired or sidelined at that early stage. Trump's willingness to fire those who cross him is very well established.

We also know that a day later, Trump said this in response to a question from a reporter about worries about a pandemic: "No. Not at all. And we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s — going to be just fine."
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:22 pm

You know what Chinese think of Americans? They think little of Americans....a Chinese billionaire that has plants here compares the American worker to a donkey. Believes we are spoiled so we have to be soothed...”A donkey likes to be rubbed in the direction it hair grows”....we don’t like to be made uncomfortable.... these are the people that Trump was supposed to trust. Send 7+ billion of supplies because Xi is a good guy. GMAFB
Yeah, Trump opened us up to China & gave away the store (so says the former Obama NSC propeller-head from her desk at the Biden Institute).
We'll all be better off when the Chinese Communists are in charge & were all working for them.
They're a great & ancient civilization. They care about global warming too, ...as soon as they finish building all their new coal fired power plants.
You are entitled to your opinion
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

"They care about global warming too, ...as soon as they finish building all their new coal fired power plants." It never ceases to amaze me how all the liberal fools here always overlook this bothersome little practice of the chicoms. ;)
CU77

Post by CU77 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:23 pm I am glad you brought up the ppe topic. My wife is under strict guidlines on what they have to wear at the hospital.
Good to know that your wife's hospital still has an adequate supply of ppe. I wish it were true everywhere.

https://www.health.com/condition/infect ... oronavirus
old salt

Post by old salt »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:13 pm
CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:58 pm As I predicted some time ago, Germany is doing far better than the US:
They call them corona taxis: Medics outfitted in protective gear, driving around the empty streets of Heidelberg to check on patients who are at home, five or six days into being sick with the coronavirus.

They take a blood test, looking for signs that a patient is about to go into a steep decline. They might suggest hospitalization, even to a patient who has only mild symptoms; the chances of surviving that decline are vastly improved by being in a hospital when it begins.

“There is this tipping point at the end of the first week,” said Prof. Hans-Georg Kräusslich, the head of virology at University Hospital in Heidelberg, one of Germany’s leading research hospitals. “If you are a person whose lungs might fail, that’s when you will start deteriorating.”

Heidelberg’s corona taxis are only one initiative in one city. But they illustrate a level of engagement and a commitment of public resources in fighting the epidemic that help explain one of the most intriguing puzzles of the pandemic: Why is Germany’s death rate so low?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/worl ... -rate.html
You could tuck Germany into Texas. Twice.

The US has 4 times the German population.

A single state one set of rules.

We have 50. With strict rules governing healthcare and commerce across borders.
Germany & S Korea are great countries. We can be proud of what we've done in freeing them, building them into prosperous democracies & protecting them from their Communist neighbors for the past 75 years.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:26 pm

Wow!! a very rare moment indeed. TLD is at a loss for words. :o
CU77

Post by CU77 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:27 pm "They care about global warming too, ...as soon as they finish building all their new coal fired power plants." It never ceases to amaze me how all the liberal fools here always overlook this bothersome little practice of the chicoms. ;)
In what sense do we liberals overlook it? China is a huge problem. Russia is a huge problem. All dictatorships are huge problems.

And we liberals don't want the US to become another one. That's why we're in favor of things like strong protections of voting rights for those with a Constitutional right to vote.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:29 pm

It happens buddy!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

old salt wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:28 pm Germany & S Korea are great countries. We can be proud of what we've done in freeing them, building them into prosperous democracies & protecting them from their Communist neighbors for the past 75 years.
I completely agree. But we failed to keep doing what they did over the past 30 years. We failed to maintain the strong government-industry-union alliances that are keeping Germany safer today. Now we are paying the price for our lack of vigilance and preparation. We are paying the price for pushing aside experts and replacing them with buffoons.
old salt

Post by old salt »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:51 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:27 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:12 pm It seems that the pandemic experts agree that, until we have a widely available vaccine this thing will stick around until a critical mass of people have survived the virus and become immune. That critical mass is over 180 million survivors here in the US. At that point we can just let it run its course!

Unless we find a widely available therapy for this virus, the only way to handle a (low but debilitating) percentage of infections that go critical is an ICU bed with a ventilator and full time pro staff. These are in finite supply, so current mitigation measures like social distancing are merely kicking the can down the road, and efforts to install more beds-with-ventilators just allow us to manage a higher through-put of CoVid 19 patients so we can get past this with minimal loss of life.

As we build up our capacity to deal with critical cases, we can loosen activity controls. When we can hospitalize millions of COVID 19 patients simultaneously along with our normal list of very sick people, we can release controls and resume normal economic activity.

To quote the (easy to read) article:https://medium.com/@wpegden/a-call-to-h ... 156686a64b

"Nations around the world are staring down a host of terrible options. Business-as-usual means overrun hospitals, and large numbers of preventable deaths. One or two years of suppression measures in wait for a vaccine means a global shutdown......."

Yikes!
It's inevitable. The less vulnerable herd is going to be allowed to roam free as soon as the curve starts to descend & a resurgence does not immediately snap back. With only a 20% survival rate for at risk on ventilators, even unlimited ventilators (with adequate trained operators) make it a losing proposition.

We in the at risk population are on our own, & will continue to be, until a vaccine is available. Hopefully the malaria med will be approved as a proph & Rx'd to we at risk. Until then, we'll have to hunker down & take precautions, only venturing out for minimally reqd grocery runs.
Until then, support the 'shelter in place' imperatives and give the scientists time to whip up the special sauce. I gather that you, Old Salt, feel that you're an 'at risk' citizen. I will feel dismay if the articulate voice of the Trump-y Way expires due to this pandemic. Please stay safe and get yourself in shape to deal with a virus if it invades your household.

You have a 50% chance of being infected before this virus is defeated. Be ready. Be strong. Be patient..
Thanks. I'm 71, my wife is 73 & lost her spleen 30 years ago.
We can't afford to find out how much we're at risk.
One grocery run every 10 days to an empty Safeway at 5am opening. .;).
...& social distancing at the dog park, when it reopens.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:27 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:23 pm I am glad you brought up the ppe topic. My wife is under strict guidlines on what they have to wear at the hospital.
Good to know that your wife's hospital still has an adequate supply of ppe. I wish it were true everywhere.

https://www.health.com/condition/infect ... oronavirus
The masks are kept under lock and key by her supervisors. For some reason they have to keep them in brown paper bags when they are not wearing them. My wifes point is the masks work just fine, the face shields cause a big problem when it comes to hearing and communicating with your fellow workers. If yelling at people all day long and saying... WHAT DID YOU SAY is the new normal, then I guess there are higher ups that know better. I am willing to bet they don't wear face shields and are oblivious to the working conditions of these people. The good news is her hospital is doing very well when it comes to treating the patients they have. Where she works CV19 is not the problem. They are treating patients for colorectal surgery and similar maladies of the GI system.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

:D
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:32 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:29 pm

It happens buddy!
My wife probably wishes it happened more often. :D
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Hang tough, Cradle. We’re all rooting for you.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:30 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:27 pm "They care about global warming too, ...as soon as they finish building all their new coal fired power plants." It never ceases to amaze me how all the liberal fools here always overlook this bothersome little practice of the chicoms. ;)
In what sense do we liberals overlook it? China is a huge problem. Russia is a huge problem. All dictatorships are huge problems.

And we liberals don't want the US to become another one. That's why we're in favor of things like strong protections of voting rights for those with a Constitutional right to vote.
I don't mean to be a smartass, but how come the environmental folks never take the protest to China? They will protest in the USA all day long. Is there something about the Chicom government that makes them reluctant to protest in China? Maybe it is the fact they will be thrown in jail and beaten to a pulp is reason enough to make folks reluctant to protest over there. I dunno, just a hunch. i guess the path of least resistance is always the obvious choice when you want to protest. :roll:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Trinity wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:45 pm Hang tough, Cradle. We’re all rooting for you.
Thank you for the kind word Trinity. My wife is a nervous wreck because she is not use to working in this type of environment. I tell her 100 times a day, this is new for all you folks. It is not about doing the best you can, that is all well and good. What they have to do collectively is do what is necessary, if that makes any sense?
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:48 pm
CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:30 pm

I don't mean to be a smartass, but how come the environmental folks never take the protest to China? They will protest in the USA all day long. Is there something about the Chicom government that makes them reluctant to protest in China? Maybe it is the fact they will be thrown in jail and beaten to a pulp is reason enough to make folks reluctant to protest over there. I dunno, just a hunch. i guess the path of least resistance is always the obvious choice when you want to protest. :roll:
Here is some information. I haven’t read it yet:

https://energypolicy.columbia.edu/sites ... y_2019.pdf

Return to “POLITICS”