All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Trinity

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Trinity »

The White House got its first formal notification about coronavirus on Jan 3. Within days, US spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat by including the first of many warnings in the President’s Daily Brief
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

I see a lot of people (even on here) saying if Clinton couldn't keep 4 people safe in Benghazi, she would have been a disaster for the Coronavirus. It's a constant refrain, like her emails.

But I don't see anything where he is apologizing for the Chinese.

We can blame both the Chinese for falsifying info and holding back information, and Trump for mishandling the response from early on.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:46 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:42 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:27 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:17 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:22 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:12 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:07 am (omitte)
Are you all now going to blame Trump for "LISTENING" to Fauci back on January 21st? Enough of the blame game.

#OrangeManBad :roll:
Read the WaPo article I posted. Fauci changed his tune within a couple of weeks:
I did read it, that does not change a darned thing. Fauci SCREWED UP and he is the #1 guy as a medical adviser in this mess.

Pick a lane Red. You all are bashing Trump constantly....some worthy. I proved in the video Facui screwed up...BIGLY, Trump clearly listened to him and counted on the Cornell/NIH directors advice...Trump walks it out AFTER listening to Facui.....and many like you....shoot Trump for it. It's okay to to hate Trump.....but maybe you should come out and say you are ticked at Fauci for advising our President incorrectly.
Fauci, Birx & all the other experts were deceived by China & the WHO who withheld Wuhan access, data & info on person to person transmission.
We have our own scientists that have been raising the alarm for years. Now it’s China’s fault that we have a failure of leadership?
They withheld critical info, access, & data, SPECIFIC to Covid19 which would have allowed US public health officials to accurately determine the degree of person to person transmission of this NEW virius, & plan our response accordingly.

Do you think Fauci might have given different advice on Jan 21, if the Chinese & WHO had not stated on Jan 15 that there was no person to person transmission ?
We would have been better off with more info. We had a failure of leadership. We made some bad decisions. We would have been better prepared. You gave Hillary a harder time over Benghazi.
Benghazi ! ...the irrelevant whatabout butthurt that never heals.
Stop apologizing for the authoritarian Chinese Communists. You have no credibility.
Why hold China accountable when you can blame Trump instead.

It’s not “what about”.....A failure of leadership is a failure of leadership. China should have been more accommodating....all of a sudden you trust China? Trump sent over 7 tons of supplies we could have used. Do you think “trusting China” was smart?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

holmes435 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:24 pm I see a lot of people (even on here) saying if Clinton couldn't keep 4 people safe in Benghazi, she would have been a disaster for the Coronavirus. It's a constant refrain, like her emails.

We can blame both the Chinese for falsifying info and holding back information, and Trump for mishandling the response from early on.
We can’t blame Trump. The US Government relies on China now. Not sure who voted for a Chinese government. Maybe Old Salt wrote it in.
old salt

Post by old salt »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:12 pm It seems that the pandemic experts agree that, until we have a widely available vaccine this thing will stick around until a critical mass of people have survived the virus and become immune. That critical mass is over 180 million survivors here in the US. At that point we can just let it run its course!

Unless we find a widely available therapy for this virus, the only way to handle a (low but debilitating) percentage of infections that go critical is an ICU bed with a ventilator and full time pro staff. These are in finite supply, so current mitigation measures like social distancing are merely kicking the can down the road, and efforts to install more beds-with-ventilators just allow us to manage a higher through-put of CoVid 19 patients so we can get past this with minimal loss of life.

As we build up our capacity to deal with critical cases, we can loosen activity controls. When we can hospitalize millions of COVID 19 patients simultaneously along with our normal list of very sick people, we can release controls and resume normal economic activity.

To quote the (easy to read) article:https://medium.com/@wpegden/a-call-to-h ... 156686a64b

"Nations around the world are staring down a host of terrible options. Business-as-usual means overrun hospitals, and large numbers of preventable deaths. One or two years of suppression measures in wait for a vaccine means a global shutdown......."

Yikes!
It's inevitable. The less vulnerable herd is going to be allowed to roam free as soon as the curve starts to descend & a resurgence does not immediately snap back. With only a 20% survival rate for at risk on ventilators, even unlimited ventilators (with adequate trained operators) make it a losing proposition.

We in the at risk population are on our own, & will continue to be, until a vaccine is available. Hopefully the malaria med will be approved as a proph & Rx'd to we at risk. Until then, we'll have to hunker down & take precautions, only venturing out for minimally reqd grocery runs.
Typical Lax Dad

AOD wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:22 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:17 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:22 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:12 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:07 am (omitte)
Are you all now going to blame Trump for "LISTENING" to Fauci back on January 21st? Enough of the blame game.

#OrangeManBad :roll:
Read the WaPo article I posted. Fauci changed his tune within a couple of weeks:
I did read it, that does not change a darned thing. Fauci SCREWED UP and he is the #1 guy as a medical adviser in this mess.

Pick a lane Red. You all are bashing Trump constantly....some worthy. I proved in the video Facui screwed up...BIGLY, Trump clearly listened to him and counted on the Cornell/NIH directors advice...Trump walks it out AFTER listening to Facui.....and many like you....shoot Trump for it. It's okay to to hate Trump.....but maybe you should come out and say you are ticked at Fauci for advising our President incorrectly.
Fauci, Birx & all the other experts were deceived by China & the WHO who withheld Wuhan access, data & info on person to person transmission.
The intelligence community wasn't deceived. They've been warning about this since January.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... rus-threat

And yet, our Commander-in-Chief continued to parrot the Chinese Communist party line.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020 ... -pandemic/
The Trump administration hasn’t made a wrong decision in almost 4 years. You do realize that?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:27 pm
holmes435 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:24 pm I see a lot of people (even on here) saying if Clinton couldn't keep 4 people safe in Benghazi, she would have been a disaster for the Coronavirus. It's a constant refrain, like her emails.

We can’t blame Trump. The US Government relies on China now. Not sure who voted for a Chinese government. Maybe Old Salt wrote it in.
TLD consistently deflects any criticism of China & defends their wise & ancient civilization & their bizarre dining preferences & medieval traditional medical practices. Like the rest of the world, they're smarter than the US. We're only a couple centuries old & have done lots of bad stuff.
I don't have any investments or business interests that are dependent upon China ? Can TLD say the same ?
Last edited by old salt on Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Today according to the CDC

277,205 cases
6,593 deaths

.023% mortality

Thats excludes all Americans still untested that may have the disease. So .023 could be much less

At .023% mortality minimum 50 million Americans have to contract the disease to have 100,000 deaths from the virus.

3/22-3/25 cases doubled in 3 days

3/25-3/28 cases doubled in 3 days

3/28-4/2 cases doubled in 5 days

Number of cases today has to double 8 more times to get to 50 million cases.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:28 pm The Trump administration hasn’t made a wrong decision in almost 4 years. You do realize that?
Evidently you haven't either. You are turning into Brooklyn without the memes. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:28 pm The Trump administration hasn’t made a wrong decision in almost 4 years. You do realize that?
Evidently you haven't either. You are turning into Brooklyn without the memes. :lol:
You voted for me?
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:32 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:27 pm

TLD consistently deflects any criticism of China & defends their wise & ancient civilization & their bizarre dining preferences & medieval traditional medical practices. Like the rest of the world, they're smarter than the US. We're only a couple centuries old & have done lots of bad stuff.
I don't have any investments or business interests that are dependent upon China ? Can TLD say the same ?
I expect very little out of China. You shouldn’t expect much either. I expect our elected officials to look out for the health and well being of the United States citizens. Don’t you? China cares about China. We are supposed to look up to China now? These are people that you were complaining about eating 🦇 last week.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:35 pm Today according to the CDC

277,205 cases
6,593 deaths

.023% mortality

Thats excludes all Americans still untested that may have the disease. So .023 could be much less
The vast majority of those cases are new cases that have not yet run their course to possible death. The proper baseline for deaths is the number of cases 10 days or so back. So the .023% is almost certainly much too low.
For one thing, it's five times lower than the approximately 0.1% for ordinary flu.
Last edited by CU77 on Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

As I predicted some time ago, Germany is doing far better than the US:
They call them corona taxis: Medics outfitted in protective gear, driving around the empty streets of Heidelberg to check on patients who are at home, five or six days into being sick with the coronavirus.

They take a blood test, looking for signs that a patient is about to go into a steep decline. They might suggest hospitalization, even to a patient who has only mild symptoms; the chances of surviving that decline are vastly improved by being in a hospital when it begins.

“There is this tipping point at the end of the first week,” said Prof. Hans-Georg Kräusslich, the head of virology at University Hospital in Heidelberg, one of Germany’s leading research hospitals. “If you are a person whose lungs might fail, that’s when you will start deteriorating.”

Heidelberg’s corona taxis are only one initiative in one city. But they illustrate a level of engagement and a commitment of public resources in fighting the epidemic that help explain one of the most intriguing puzzles of the pandemic: Why is Germany’s death rate so low?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/worl ... -rate.html
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

277,205 cases
6,593 deaths

.023% mortality

At .023% mortality minimum 50 million Americans have to contract the disease to have 100,000 deaths from the virus.

You still do not understand, even after repeated explanations.

Deaths lag behind new cases.

You keep trying to downplay all of this. Are you truly that dense?

Physicians and nurses tend to be a strong-willed group of people. They don’t panic or cry easily.

Do you think physicians and nurses would express near-panic and break down in tears if this were not an overwhelming crisis?

I’m asking you as nicely as I can ... please stop all the stupidity.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Trump administration received its first formal notification of the outbreak of the coronavirus in China on Jan. 3. Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat to Trump by including a warning about the coronavirus — the first of many — in the President’s Daily Brief.

And yet, it took 70 days from that initial notification for Trump to treat the coronavirus not as a distant threat or harmless flu strain well under control, but as a lethal force that had outflanked America’s defenses and was poised to kill tens of thousands of citizens. That more-than-two-month stretch now stands as critical time that was squandered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... rc404=true

Warnings in the Presidential Daily Brief won’t do much if the president doesn’t bother reading them and even skips the in-person briefing to watch Fox News in his pajamas during “Executive Time.”

DocBarrister :?
Last edited by DocBarrister on Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:57 pm

277,205 cases
6,593 deaths

.023% mortality

The vast majority of those cases are new cases that have not yet run their course to possible death. The proper baseline for deaths is the number of cases 10 days or so back. So the .023% is almost certainly much too low.
For one thing, it's five times lower than the approximately 0.1% for ordinary flu.
Then you also must know how they measure Serious cases that are logged? According to worldometer website.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:58 pm As I predicted some time ago, Germany is doing far better than the US:
They call them corona taxis: Medics outfitted in protective gear, driving around the empty streets of Heidelberg to check on patients who are at home, five or six days into being sick with the coronavirus.

They take a blood test, looking for signs that a patient is about to go into a steep decline. They might suggest hospitalization, even to a patient who has only mild symptoms; the chances of surviving that decline are vastly improved by being in a hospital when it begins.

“There is this tipping point at the end of the first week,” said Prof. Hans-Georg Kräusslich, the head of virology at University Hospital in Heidelberg, one of Germany’s leading research hospitals. “If you are a person whose lungs might fail, that’s when you will start deteriorating.”

Heidelberg’s corona taxis are only one initiative in one city. But they illustrate a level of engagement and a commitment of public resources in fighting the epidemic that help explain one of the most intriguing puzzles of the pandemic: Why is Germany’s death rate so low?
You could tuck Germany into Texas. Twice.

The US has 4 times the German population.

A single state one set of rules.

We have 50. With strict rules governing healthcare and commerce across borders.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:12 pm The Trump administration received its first formal notification of the outbreak of the coronavirus in China on Jan. 3. Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat to Trump by including a warning about the coronavirus — the first of many — in the President’s Daily Brief.

And yet, it took 70 days from that initial notification for Trump to treat the coronavirus not as a distant threat or harmless flu strain well under control, but as a lethal force that had outflanked America’s defenses and was poised to kill tens of thousands of citizens. That more-than-two-month stretch now stands as critical time that was squandered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... rc404=true

DocBarrister :?
Are you Dr. Fauci, trying to run for cover from your public comment on January 21? Is that the best thing you can find to still cast blame? :roll: Over here Doc....wake up.

~Livy
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

277,205 cases
6,593 deaths

.023% mortality

You and everyone else missed that your math is wrong first and foremost. It's a 2.3% mortality rate from those numbers (6593 deaths / 277,205 cases * 100). 2018-2019 Flu is about 0.096% (34,157 deaths / 35,520,883 cases * 100)

If we had 50,000,000 cases we'd have 1.1 million deaths at a 2.3% or 0.023 death rate (50,000,000 cases * 0.023).
Last edited by holmes435 on Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:13 pm
CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:58 pm As I predicted some time ago, Germany is doing far better than the US:

You could tuck Germany into Texas. Twice.

The US has 4 times the German population.

A single state one set of rules.

We have 50. With strict rules governing healthcare and commerce across borders.
You obviously haven’t followed German politics. Germany has numerous political divisions, often regional in nature, just like the United States.

The difference? Germany has a strong leader. The United States does not.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”