Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by nyjay »

I don't disagree. Pretty sure that QK has no desire to wade into it, especially given what seems like his - I don't know - complicated? - relationship with Petro and the program. That said, it was interesting that Foy was so direct about the question and an indication that chatter is picking up outside of this little navel-gazing sandbox.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:53 am
Wheels wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:48 am
viper wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:34 am
Wheels wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:32 pm Can't wait to see the hype train once you all win your next 5 games. This forum will be way different.
Even if they win the next 5 games and prove they are worthy of a ranking between 20 and 30, that does little to help them get to the tournament. Of course losing any of the next 5 will just be more proof of the the concrete hardening around the feet as they jump in the river.

Assumming they win all other games, if they cannot be Penn State or Maryland (right now it looks like a very long shot) there is 0% chance of post season play.
I'm not talking about the team. I'm talking about the fans on this forum. Win the next 5 and people will have hope. You all are in a Shawshank "Hope is a good thing, Red" situation. 5 wins and all will be talking momentum and how those PSU, OSU, and MD games are all 50-50 props.
Any wins coming in the next week while welcome must be viewed the same way the Towson win is. Nice to have but means nothing.

And to be honest I’m not convinced that Hop even wins tomorrow night. I think the Mount will be hungry to stick it to Hop. What is this team hungry for?
No doubt. Winning the next 5 isn't a sure thing by any stretch. I asked 100 pages ago if this team had the player leadership to steady the team after 4 convincing losses as they went into this soft stretch of the schedule. No one answered the question. Talent-wise, Hop should beat these next 5 teams, even with Epstein clearly not 100% (at this point, you have to wonder if he will ever approach 100%...and that includes his confidence).

But to the point of contagion. Hope spreads just as irrationally as fear does. Put together 5 straight, and this board will be talking at-large "if" scenarios. Just the nature of social contagion.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:44 pm But to the point of contagion. Hope spreads just as irrationally as fear does. Put together 5 straight, and this board will be talking at-large "if" scenarios. Just the nature of social contagion.
I don't know if it will be "hope" so much as the calculus will literally have changed if that happens. They'd be 6-4 with two top 10 win opportunities in Maryland and Penn State coming up (who knows what Ohio State will look like then), plus the possibility of playing one or both of those teams again in the conference tournament. Even in that dream scenario where we win our next 5, I still think an at-large would remain quite unlikely. But it certainly would not be impossible. Don't think it has much to do with social dynamics.

If we beat Mount Saint Mary's and suddenly people are talking about an at-large bid, then sure, that'd be crazy. But winning five in a row would materially and mathematically change things, not just in people's minds.

For what it's worth, I think the chances of winning all five are quite low. I am particularly worried about the midweek trip to Delaware.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:04 am At the end of the QK/Foy podcast this morning, Foy directly asked QK about the Petro situation and suggested that there's likely to be increased media attention coming. Sadly, completely ducked the question and went on to promote his upcoming broadcasts. Maybe Ed Lee at the Sun can try to do some real reporting, though we know real reporting doesn't happen in the lax media because the "reporters" are all deathly afraid of angering the sources.
You can't really blame Quint for not wanting to talk about it. He's clearly closer to the situation than others. I wouldn't be surprised if the AD/advisory committe or whatever they're calling that cadre these days seeks his input on the issue. Plus, he's not really a reporter. He's a game analyst. If Foy wants to know what's going on, he should have his staff do some reporting.

Are there any influential alums that we know for sure want a coaching change? I know several that are fiercely loyal to Petro and will lobby to keep him in place, but I haven't heard about any that are firmly in the "time to move on" camp. Doesn't mean that there aren't any, I just don't know who they are. It's possible some are waiting until the end of the season to make their thoughts known. Perhaps somewhat of note: Joe Cowan has a grandson joining the team next year (Ryan Evans from Boys Latin), whom Petro recruited.
Don't disagree on your 1st paragraph. To be honest, Quint would likely duck that question Foy asked about the HC position at almost any school. Not just Hopkins. Just the fact that question was brought tells you that the issue is being raised beyond this forum.

I think your last paragraph would be an issue if DP had a contract for next year. As far as we know, he doesn't. I think it is a different story when you go to the big dollar alums seeking funds for a buyout when they are loyal to that guy. They are likely to say no to giving those funds. But, when there is no contract your DP loyal alums don't really have much leverage in the situation. Does that mean someone stops giving? Maybe. But, I think you have to weigh that against a program that is in complete shambles at the current time.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:50 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:44 pm But to the point of contagion. Hope spreads just as irrationally as fear does. Put together 5 straight, and this board will be talking at-large "if" scenarios. Just the nature of social contagion.
I don't know if it will be "hope" so much as the calculus will literally have changed if that happens. They'd be 6-4 with two top 10 win opportunities in Maryland and Penn State coming up (who knows what Ohio State will look like then), plus the possibility of playing one or both of those teams again in the conference tournament. Even in that dream scenario where we win our next 5, I still think an at-large would remain quite unlikely. But it certainly would not be impossible. Don't think it has much to do with social dynamics.

If we beat Mount Saint Mary's and suddenly people are talking about an at-large bid, then sure, that'd be crazy. But winning five in a row would materially and mathematically change things, not just in people's minds.

For what it's worth, I think the chances of winning all five are quite low. I am particularly worried about the midweek trip to Delaware.
First, I don't think it is going to happen. I think it is more likely Hopkins goes 2-3 or 3-2 over the next 5 games. Even if they go 5-0, doesn't change the calculus in my mind beyond lifting some confidence in the team that they might be able to compete against MD, PSU and OSU. Losing any of those games or multiple ones will likely result in Hopkins completely tailspinning (beyond what they are doing now) and I wouldn't be surprised if they went 0-5 in the B1G - they are truly playing that poorly

Winning 5 games to get to 6-4...I agree with HF16...is very unlikely. It also doesn't make a different in the at large bid. It isn't like they are losing by a goal in OT. These games have been uncompetitive by halftime or a little into the 3rd quarter. There is no reason for Hopkins to make the tournament as an at-large unless they win the next 5 and beat PSU or MD and make the B1G championship game (even then I don't think it is enough).

I think the chances of winning at both Delaware and Navy are extremely low and the more likely result is losses at both. Navy, even when Hopkins was very good and Navy was down would always give Hopkins a fight at Navy. They'll be spoiling for a scrum and will have no problem going after groundballs unlike Hopkins. Delaware has been competitive in most of their games and has 10 days to get ready after Hopkins plays Navy. Rutgers will be ready and willing to place a beat down on Hopkins. Not like they haven't done it in the past. They've certainly played Loyola and Princeton much tougher than Hopkins did.
viper

Post by viper »

Wheels wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:44 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:53 am
Wheels wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:48 am
viper wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:34 am
Wheels wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:32 pm Can't wait to see the hype train once you all win your next 5 games. This forum will be way different.
Even if they win the next 5 games and prove they are worthy of a ranking between 20 and 30, that does little to help them get to the tournament. Of course losing any of the next 5 will just be more proof of the the concrete hardening around the feet as they jump in the river.

Assumming they win all other games, if they cannot be Penn State or Maryland (right now it looks like a very long shot) there is 0% chance of post season play.
I'm not talking about the team. I'm talking about the fans on this forum. Win the next 5 and people will have hope. You all are in a Shawshank "Hope is a good thing, Red" situation. 5 wins and all will be talking momentum and how those PSU, OSU, and MD games are all 50-50 props.
Any wins coming in the next week while welcome must be viewed the same way the Towson win is. Nice to have but means nothing.

And to be honest I’m not convinced that Hop even wins tomorrow night. I think the Mount will be hungry to stick it to Hop. What is this team hungry for?
No doubt. Winning the next 5 isn't a sure thing by any stretch. I asked 100 pages ago if this team had the player leadership to steady the team after 4 convincing losses as they went into this soft stretch of the schedule. No one answered the question. Talent-wise, Hop should beat these next 5 teams, even with Epstein clearly not 100% (at this point, you have to wonder if he will ever approach 100%...and that includes his confidence).

But to the point of contagion. Hope spreads just as irrationally as fear does. Put together 5 straight, and this board will be talking at-large "if" scenarios. Just the nature of social contagion.
Well, I know of at least one person who would be putting together those "if" scenarios (aka DocB), but at this point I think a majority of the board here won't be thinking post season until they win those 5 and then win against MD and/or Penn State.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

laf projects 2 more wins: MSM and Michigan. That’s it. 3-10.

Massey is a bit better:
HopkinsAfterWeek5
HopkinsAfterWeek5
FEF24A1D-7031-479B-82FF-71A858600829.jpeg (235.69 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
Massey shows four straight wins, followed by a four game season-ending losing streak starting with losing to Rutgers. That would make Hopkins 5-8 overall, but more importantly 1-4 in the B1G regular season and NOT even in the tournament for the AQ.

As I said a week or two ago, circle the Rutgers game. Lose that one, and it’s all probably sayonara - golf.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

With a 100% Epstein and Concannon, where do you think Hopkins sits at this point? 2-3?
With Epstein, Concannon, Foley, and Rapine, 2-3 with a better goal differential?
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I see a possibility of losing out. Especially, if they lose tomorrow night. MSM has confidence coming in with the Utah win.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:59 pm I see a possibility of losing out. Especially, if they lose tomorrow night. MSM has confidence coming in with the Utah win.
Well, nothing like lowering expectations...
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

As an alum that has given money to "Johnny Hop" over the years (nowhere near the Everest heights of Mini Mike) as the Chambers Bros. once sang, "time has come today", meaning time for new leadership...and I think Dave P. is a great guy...just time to end the run...
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:29 pm With a 100% Epstein and Concannon, where do you think Hopkins sits at this point? 2-3?
With Epstein, Concannon, Foley, and Rapine, 2-3 with a better goal differential?
Given how bad they look. I doubt it is much different. You are essentially asking if Hopkins could beat Loyola. The team has systemic issues that 2 healthy guys dont over come a 4 goal loss, a 6 goal loss and 2 7 goal losses
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:42 pm I don't disagree. Pretty sure that QK has no desire to wade into it, especially given what seems like his - I don't know - complicated? - relationship with Petro and the program. That said, it was interesting that Foy was so direct about the question and an indication that chatter is picking up outside of this little navel-gazing sandbox.
either you're a professional journalist or you're not. I posted the story last fall/summer written about tennessee womens hoops, a similar once proud program that had fallen on hard times. there were 2 big stories on cuse last spring in nyt and the local paper up there. Those have not been said or written here and mark dixon is going to be on the spot among others this spring to given an honest analysis about why this program has struggled. The baltimore sun journalists have complained constantly about how men like sam zell and others have ruined their paper, but here they have after the ravens, orioles and maryland football/hoops one of the sports programs most identified with their market and they have nothing on it. Imagine a saban team starting 1-4 what they'd be writing down there or in the la times if a john wooden team had started like that.

tomorrows game notes are pretty depressing as they should be. We've been here so many times over the last decade+, of a hopkins program either struggling through a season or a big game where veterans+new guys flame out and the question becoming do they get benched or does the staff double down and hope they fight through it. I would give new kids a look tomorrow. Our 2s and 3s should be better than msms ones rather than reward kids who haven't shown up to play this year. Cole williams has 3 goals total in the 4 losses. Put him, forry, connor, zinn, mabett, stagnitta, jaronski, reinson, hubler, mcmanus, lyne, darby, colwell on the bench to start the game. Show some accountability.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:29 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:42 pm I don't disagree. Pretty sure that QK has no desire to wade into it, especially given what seems like his - I don't know - complicated? - relationship with Petro and the program. That said, it was interesting that Foy was so direct about the question and an indication that chatter is picking up outside of this little navel-gazing sandbox.
either you're a professional journalist or you're not. I posted the story last fall/summer written about tennessee womens hoops, a similar once proud program that had fallen on hard times. there were 2 big stories on cuse last spring in nyt and the local paper up there. Those have not been said or written here and mark dixon is going to be on the spot among others this spring to given an honest analysis about why this program has struggled. The baltimore sun journalists have complained constantly about how men like sam zell and others have ruined their paper, but here they have after the ravens, orioles and maryland football/hoops one of the sports programs most identified with their market and they have nothing on it. Imagine a saban team starting 1-4 what they'd be writing down there or in the la times if a john wooden team had started like that.

tomorrows game notes are pretty depressing as they should be. We've been here so many times over the last decade+, of a hopkins program either struggling through a season or a big game where veterans+new guys flame out and the question becoming do they get benched or does the staff double down and hope they fight through it. I would give new kids a look tomorrow. Our 2s and 3s should be better than msms ones rather than reward kids who haven't shown up to play this year. Cole williams has 3 goals total in the 4 losses. Put him, forry, connor, zinn, mabett, stagnitta, jaronski, reinson, hubler, mcmanus, lyne, darby, colwell on the bench to start the game. Show some accountability.
I’ll never understand the shots at Mabbett. That kid has not got a fair shake and hasn’t had any pt in the last two games. Stagnitta was sat down last game and I didn’t see him out there at all. (Rightfully so in my opinion)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

06—saying they need to put Mabbett on the bench to start the game is beyond comical, as flalax has pointed out. He has hardly touched the field this year. That's like saying the Patriots needed to bench Brian Hoyer or Matt Cassel. Figure it out.

I guess you also missed Jaronski's 3 CTs and 3 GBs against Syracuse. He's been one of the few bright spots on defense to start the year.

Bench Hubler too? There's a lot of things I can say about that proposition, but I'll be nice and say it's...misguided. Have you seen the other guys try to play SSDM?

If you're going to take random shots at these kids, the very least you can do is actually pay attention. It's like you're just looking at the roster and picking names at random. The act is getting pretty old.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:07 pm 06—saying they need to put Mabbett on the bench to start the game is beyond comical, as flalax has pointed out. He has hardly touched the field this year. That's like saying the Patriots needed to bench Brian Hoyer or Matt Cassel. Figure it out.

I guess you also missed Jaronski's 3 CTs and 3 GBs against Syracuse. He's been one of the few bright spots on defense to start the year.

Bench Hubler too? There's a lot of things I can say about that proposition, but I'll be nice and say it's...misguided. Have you seen the other guys try to play SSDM?

If you're going to take random shots at these kids, the very least you can do is actually pay attention. It's like you're just looking at the roster and picking names at random. The act is getting pretty old.
Hubler is terrible. every game they run right by him. He's supposed to be a veteran leader and how many plays do you see him make?
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:29 pm I would give new kids a look tomorrow. Our 2s and 3s should be better than msms ones rather than reward kids who haven't shown up to play this year. Cole williams has 3 goals total in the 4 losses. Put him, forry, connor, zinn, mabett, stagnitta, jaronski, reinson, hubler, mcmanus, lyne, darby, colwell on the bench to start the game. Show some accountability.
Mabbett and Stagnitta? How do you punish them even more? Not let them out of the locker room?

Throw Mabbett out there with Angelus and Murphy. Let’s see what he can do
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:59 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:29 pm I would give new kids a look tomorrow. Our 2s and 3s should be better than msms ones rather than reward kids who haven't shown up to play this year. Cole williams has 3 goals total in the 4 losses. Put him, forry, connor, zinn, mabett, stagnitta, jaronski, reinson, hubler, mcmanus, lyne, darby, colwell on the bench to start the game. Show some accountability.
Mabbett and Stagnitta? How do you punish them even more? Not let them out of the locker room?

Throw Mabbett out there with Angelus and Murphy. Let’s see what he can do
Like it
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Murphy actually looks the part of a fine young player . Angelus is worthy of more time. Zinn eh

Hubler is a good ssdm.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Zinn looks like a one trick pony. Fortunately, if DP does not resign, we will have a gifted middie arriving. Maybe he would come anyway

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”