Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Re: Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:01 pm
laxorangebookworm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:28 pm We get that UM will be back and from what I saw on Saturday, I think the Terps are starting to gel a bit. Probably their toughest tests left are Northwestern, Penn and Princeton and I think they could win any one of those.
Dont forget about Cindy and her Mids....
Agreed! Dey ain't outta dem woods just yet...
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:57 pm
Badlands wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:36 pm Don't smart people turn off the scoreboard immediately after a loss so that the visiting opponent can't get a celebratory photo under it?
the poets down here don't write nothin' at all, they just stand back and let it all be...
The Boss!
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:13 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:57 pm
Badlands wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:36 pm Don't smart people turn off the scoreboard immediately after a loss so that the visiting opponent can't get a celebratory photo under it?
the poets down here don't write nothin' at all, they just stand back and let it all be...
The Boss!
Now we're talking!
njbill

Post by njbill »

I see you guys are winding down, but since I was out all day and am just now seeing all this, I can't resist one more since it's too much fun to poke our favorite third person punching bag.

I thought TL was down in Margarita-ville. TL must not be enjoying the local hospitality, or enough of it. Otherwise, TL would be much more mellow and not rehashing stuff from 10-15 years ago. On the bright side, at least TL can still remember things from back then, though TL has gotten a few details confused over the years. Happens to the best of us, and TL.

Sorry to see TL has put TL in TL-time out. Was going to see TL's bet and raise it one gazillion FanLax dollars if TL or any other member of the Maryland Mafia could produce a copy of the "weather forecast" from Thursday afternoon showing Snowmagedon was about to hit Syr.

Actually, I'm not taking TL's bet because TL is right; Maryland U. DOT did cancel the trip. Had nothing to do with snow, however. You see all of the buses simultaneously came down with a case of flat tire-itis. It was the darnedest thing.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:17 pm I see you guys are winding down, but since I was out all day and am just now seeing all this, I can't resist one more since it's too much fun to poke our favorite third person punching bag.

I thought TL was down in Margarita-ville. TL must not be enjoying the local hospitality, or enough of it. Otherwise, TL would be much more mellow and not rehashing stuff from 10-15 years ago. On the bright side, at least TL can still remember things from back then, though TL has gotten a few details confused over the years. Happens to the best of us, and TL.

Sorry to see TL has put TL in TL-time out. Was going to see TL's bet and raise it one gazillion FanLax dollars if TL or any other member of the Maryland Mafia could produce a copy of the "weather forecast" from Thursday afternoon showing Snowmagedon was about to hit Syr.

Actually, I'm not taking TL's bet because TL is right; Maryland U. DOT did cancel the trip. Had nothing to do with snow, however. You see all of the buses simultaneously came down with a case of flat tire-itis. It was the darnedest thing.
If I could talk in third person, I would say something smart, I think. 👏 well done :D
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

njbill wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:17 pm I see you guys are winding down, but since I was out all day and am just now seeing all this, I can't resist one more since it's too much fun to poke our favorite third person punching bag.

"our favorite third person punching bag" 😆
Too funny. The whole rest of the post too--especially "flat tire-itis". Well done, Jersey!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:17 pm Otherwise, TL would be much more mellow and not rehashing stuff from 10-15 years ago. On the bright side, at least TL can still remember things from back then, though TL has gotten a few details confused over the years. Happens to the best of us, and TL.
Just reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite....Uncle Rico

Back in '82, I used to be able to toss a pigskin a quarter of a mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.
DMac

Post by DMac »

More from the sign.
Carney shows up in the stats as no assists in this game.
Does that look like an assist at 1:03?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6monQ5fRzfQ
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:56 pm More from the sign.
Even by lacrosse's extremely limited definition of an assist, I don't know how you could argue that's not one...
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

"More from the sign" LOL

Seems pretty clear from the 2020 Women's Lacrosse Statisticians’ Manual (Thanks LaxDad23) p. 3 section 3:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Man ... wlax20.pdf
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

I actually mentioned that in my article yesterday...
Should have gone to Carney. Swart was behind Rahal when the goal was scored. I'm not sure how you can mistake 3 for 22...
wlaxnut

Highly decorated Syracuse great Alyssa Murray weighs in on Snowgate

Post by wlaxnut »

Weekly column for IL Women

Snow Problem or No Problem?

If you’re a member of the lacrosse world, there’s a good chance you have read something by now about the Syracuse vs. Maryland game controversy that began this past Thursday evening. When everything began to unfold, many people had asked me if it would be something that I would write about for my weekly column and my gut reaction was “no way.” I had been fearful that me writing about it would come off as being a “homer” to my alma mater; however, when the drama began to unfurl between the Orange and the Terps, I decided that it would be inauthentic for me to carry on with my column without mentioning what was the most highly talked about topic this weekend. So, with that said, here’s what went down:

What Happened: The yearly out of conference game was scheduled for this past Friday afternoon as part of a double-header with the men’s team. Syracuse had planned to have Senior Day and Alumni Weekend revolve around this game, honoring the class of 2020 as well as former players. The lacrosse games would kick off the community’s final goodbye to the Carrier Dome as we know it. Upcoming renovations will provide a complete facelift and significantly change the appearance of the highly recognizable structure that is easy to spot from several miles down I-81 as you approach campus. These celebrations however, hit a bump in the road when Maryland announced this Thursday evening that they would not be traveling up to Syracuse to play because of winter weather concerns while travelling. "Safety of our student-athletes is of the utmost importance at the University of Maryland," Maryland Athletic Director Damon Evans said in a statement. "Due to the forecasted winter weather conditions in Upstate New York, our University Department of Transportation determined it was unsafe to travel." Syracuse Athletic Director, John Wildhack, issued the following in response: "We want to apologize for the inconvenience this causes our loyal fans, including the parents of our student-athletes and women's lacrosse alumni... We informed our colleagues at Maryland that the local weather forecast for the next few days is not expected to impact any of the home athletic contests we have scheduled but they chose not to travel." Just one day before it was scheduled to take place, the much-anticipated matchup had seemingly been shut down.

Upon the news breaking, many Syracuse fans and alumni, including myself spoke out with our sympathetic feelings for the team and its seniors. Senior night is a special moment for each player and their loved ones. It’s a day that takes lots of planning from the staff, families, and fellow teammates to acknowledge and celebrate all of the work that it takes to be a part of a team for the entirety of a college career. And for this class, in particular, it was a final opportunity to say goodbye to a place they’ve called home for the past four years. While many were upset upon hearing the cancelation of Maryland’s trip, Coach Gait recognized the anticipation of the game and was determined to make it happen. Since the game is out of conference, it could have been left un-played; but the Orange scrambled a road trip together and bussed down to the Terps in College Park for a Top-10 show down.

How It Happened: While this matchup would be highly-anticipated regardless, the travel issues heightened the expectations that much more. The game was set for a Saturday noon matchup in College Park. In the first half, Syracuse came out hot going up 4-0. After intermission, Maryland closed the gap to come within one, capitalizing on some sloppy play by Syracuse before the Orange’s final run sealed the game at 10-5. The Syracuse defense forced Maryland to commit several turnovers, most notably in the first half, baiting the Terps into passes that turned into forces and dropped balls. The Terps managed to get just 13 shots on goal to Syracuse’s 23, but the Terps showed some moments of greatness during the early part of the second half when they made their significant run of the game; however, they were unable to respond and get quality looks offensively to slow the Orange down the stretch. Syracuse standouts in this game were Emily Hawryschuk (5G, 1A), who continues to show why she is one to be considered for this year’s Tewaaraton trophy and Asa Goldstock (8 saves, 61.54%), who surpassed the 500 Career Saves milestone on Saturday afternoon. For Maryland, Grace Griffin (2G, 1A) led the Terps offensively and Maddie McSally (13 saves, 56.52%) had a career-best day in the cage.

Why This Matters: Historically, Maryland has had the upper hand against The Orange. In 23 of the past 24 matchups prior to 2020, Maryland has come out with the win—Syracuse’s lone win before Saturday was also in College Park in 2012. The Orange have now handed Maryland their third straight loss for the first time in Reese’s tenure. While the No. 9-ranked team stumbled through February, they will be looking to bounce back in their next couple of games before opening up conference play against Rutgers. With Maryland dropping multiple games early on, they will need to dominate the Big Ten to put themselves in a position to gain an NCAA Tournament seed that they are accustomed to having. Otherwise, they may end up trying to make a run at the Final Four from an unfamiliar position.

For Syracuse, this win gives some added confidence after beating a team that has given them loads of trouble over the years. It also provided this group with some experience playing under extremely emotional circumstances, which may prove to be useful when their season is on the line in May. With a Syracuse group that has come short of Championship Weekend for the past four years, they will need to pull from experiences like this to gain enough momentum to propel them through their upcoming ACC opponents—all of them being away from their home turf.​​"

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/amp/alys ... ssion=true
wlaxnut

Re: Highly decorated Syracuse great Alyssa Murray weighs in on Snowgate

Post by wlaxnut »

WOW! This is damning

"Syracuse Athletic Director, John Wildhack, issued the following in response: "We want to apologize for the inconvenience this causes our loyal fans, including the parents of our student-athletes and women's lacrosse alumni... We informed our colleagues at Maryland that the local weather forecast for the next few days is not expected to impact any of the home athletic contests we have scheduled but they chose not to travel." ​
Last edited by wlaxnut on Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Went from interesting and feelings of anticipation to... Just another lacrosse post-game article.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

"Syracuse standouts in this game were Emily Hawryschuk (5G, 1A), who continues to show why she is one to be considered for this year’s Tewaaraton trophy..."

Amen. Should have been there last year as well. She is a true force. Can carry the team on her back when needed.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

"For Syracuse, this win gives some added confidence after beating a team that has given them loads of trouble over the years. It also provided this group with some experience playing under extremely emotional circumstances, which may prove to be useful when their season is on the line in May."

Interesting thought. What do you think?
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

Maybe. If the offense can get out of its own way. Really depends on who they face in the NCAAT.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

"Syracuse will need to pull from experiences like this to propel them through their upcoming ACC opponents—all of them being away from home turf.​​'"

That's a long time to live out of your suitcase, as they say. Not fully true on the home turf comment though. The Orange will be playing one game at Christian Brothers Academy in Syracuse, where they will meet North Carolina on 4/11.

Counting the game in Maryland, that will be 11 games away from the Dome. Not to mention going on to the ACC tournament in North Carolina. Any thoughts on how they'll come out of it? Any guesses as to what their record will be in the 11 games? There may be one or two losses in there against teams they should beat.

The rest of the regular season:

VT*, Virginia, Louisville*, Notre Dame, Loyola, Duke*, UNC (at CBA), Cornell, BC, UMass*

*Neutral site
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:41 pm Any guesses as to what their record will be in the 11 games? There may be one or two losses in there against teams they should beat.

VT*, Virginia, Louisville*, Notre Dame, Loyola, Duke*, UNC (at CBA), Cornell, BC, UMass*
VT - W
Virginia - W
Louisville - W
ND - L
Duke - W
UNC - L
Cornell - W
BC - W
Mass - W
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:44 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:41 pm Any guesses as to what their record will be in the 11 games? There may be one or two losses in there against teams they should beat.

VT - W
Virginia - W
Louisville - W
ND - L
Duke - W
UNC - L
Cornell - W
BC - W
Mass - W
Agreed. I think they will compete with Notre Dame, and will certainly have a chance to win there.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”