Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

Post by DMac »

Game has been moved to Maryland (so much for Sr day and last game in the Dome), weather concerns, Maryland not making the trip up. Certainly throws a little curve ball at the Cuse gals, pretty big last minute change. Anyone care to change their predictions? Not liking much about this but it is what it is.
Last edited by DMac on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
laxorangebookworm

Re: Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/28, 1200 hrs.

Post by laxorangebookworm »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:43 am Game has been moved to Maryland (so much for Sr day and last game in the Dome), weather concerns, Maryland not making the trip up. Certainly throws a little curve ball at the Cuse gals, pretty big last minute change. Anyone care to change their predictions? Not liking much about this but it is what it is.
Here's the problem that I have with all of this and I blame both athletic departments. First of all, Canisius came here to play when there was nine inches of snow on the ground for the season opener. We're supposed to get probably a couple of inches, tops, for most of Friday. Now, there is the possibility that the lake effect band (this is something that's unique to the Great Lakes, where moisture comes off the lakes in winter and dumps snow in localized bands) might move into Syracuse overnight.

Maryland says they're worried about the safety of their athletes. Ok, fair enough. However, It's ok for our players to leave Syracuse and go through that (theoretically) same snow band to head down to Maryland? Whatever. I think it's BS that Maryland pulled this stunt, but I also think it's BS that SU agreed to this move. The correct response to this on SU's part should have been: "Very well, see you next year."

This is the issue that I have with this rescheduling. All of the advantages are accrued to the Terps with this change. All of them. If you don't think this radical shift of location isn't impacting the SU players, you're kidding yourself. They go from getting ready for a game tomorrow only to be told now they have to board a bus/van and make a pretty long trip to Maryland less than 24 hours before the match was supposed to start. Terp players, meanwhile, get to rest and prepare for one more day and the impact is pretty minimal. You've also a huge swing in location from a friendly Dome to one of the toughest places to play in D1 women's lacrosse. Weather will also be impacted. The Dome is relatively warm inside and weather is irrelevant for obvious reasons. Weather forecast for College Park will be in low to mid 40's throughout the game.

One of two things will happen with the SU players on Saturday. Either they will be very distracted because of the radical change or they will be laser focused with a cold rage at having to deal with this. It'll be interesting to see how they'll react.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Is the telecast still on? It would be a shame if we were to miss this game, which will hopefully be a resounding Orange victory.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Ketch wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:46 am Is the telecast still on? It would be a shame if we were to miss this game, which will hopefully be a resounding Orange victory.
No word yet. I don’t think it will be a problem but—we shall see...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Good morning from the Cuse, wlax fans.
Sunshine, blue skies, nary a flake in the air.
Weather people do a good job of making people afraid to go outside anymore.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Ketch wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:46 am Is the telecast still on? It would be a shame if we were to miss this game, which will hopefully be a resounding Orange victory.
3 PM on ACCN. I believe. Or, are you saying, with this move, all has been changed.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:36 am
DMac wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:43 am Game has been moved to Maryland (so much for Sr day and last game in the Dome), weather concerns, Maryland not making the trip up. Certainly throws a little curve ball at the Cuse gals, pretty big last minute change. Anyone care to change their predictions? Not liking much about this but it is what it is.
Here's the problem that I have with all of this and I blame both athletic departments. First of all, Canisius came here to play when there was nine inches of snow on the ground for the season opener. We're supposed to get probably a couple of inches, tops, for most of Friday. Now, there is the possibility that the lake effect band (this is something that's unique to the Great Lakes, where moisture comes off the lakes in winter and dumps snow in localized bands) might move into Syracuse overnight.

Maryland says they're worried about the safety of their athletes. Ok, fair enough. However, It's ok for our players to leave Syracuse and go through that (theoretically) same snow band to head down to Maryland? Whatever. I think it's BS that Maryland pulled this stunt, but I also think it's BS that SU agreed to this move. The correct response to this on SU's part should have been: "Very well, see you next year."

This is the issue that I have with this rescheduling. All of the advantages are accrued to the Terps with this change. All of them. If you don't think this radical shift of location isn't impacting the SU players, you're kidding yourself. They go from getting ready for a game tomorrow only to be told now they have to board a bus/van and make a pretty long trip to Maryland less than 24 hours before the match was supposed to start. Terp players, meanwhile, get to rest and prepare for one more day and the impact is pretty minimal. You've also a huge swing in location from a friendly Dome to one of the toughest places to play in D1 women's lacrosse. Weather will also be impacted. The Dome is relatively warm inside and weather is irrelevant for obvious reasons. Weather forecast for College Park will be in low to mid 40's throughout the game.

One of two things will happen with the SU players on Saturday. Either they will be very distracted because of the radical change or they will be laser focused with a cold rage at having to deal with this. It'll be interesting to see how they'll react.
**Bullcrap**
laser focused with a cold rage at having to deal with this
This^^^^. I expect a whooping like the UNC game.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:27 am
3 PM on ACCN. I believe. Or, are you saying, with this move, all has been changed.
Game time is now at noon, that's probably an old listing you're looking at.
This game damn sure better be on TV.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:32 am
laxorangebookworm wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:36 am

**Bullcrap**
laser focused with a cold rage at having to deal with this
This^^^^. I expect a whooping like the UNC game.
Why wouldn’t SYR just reschedule this?? Have Maryland come up later in season on a Friday or mid week? I don’t get why they gave up their home field advantage (dome or no dome) to Maryland ?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Maryland drivers have trouble with an inch of snow. I visited my wife's family for Christmas some years ago, and everyone at a gathering "left early" because of the snow, which my son, then 11 and raised in New Hampshire, thought was quaint. Cars off the road all down Charles Street on the way home.

BTN not showing this game so far.

Syracuse 16-11.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

During the winter, Marylanders talk a lot about "black ice".

Stating the obvious but... If anyone hears anything about this being televised, post it. Trying to sort my options. :)
Caddy Day
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I'm surprised this game wasn't rescheduled for a later date even if it was in the spring and played outdoors due to construction on the dome. I do feel Marylands concern is justified however. I lived for several years in Rochester and have seen firsthand what lake effect snow can be like. Storms coming off Lake Ontario can easily drop several feet of snow very quickly and the most treacherous travel is areas north and south of Syracuse. Airport travel is less of a problem since they have the equipment to handle it.

Also delaying the game until later in the spring would allow the Syracuse team to be more rested then they currently must be from the shear number of games they've already played this year so far.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

What a turn of events. We were all prepared for a pristine broadcast on the ACC network from the dome for a nice Friday afternoon matinee. Now we get a Saturday early afternoon bunched in with a whole mess of other games and we expect one of two things: either the game will be telecast by the hacks down in Maryland (who should be embarrassed with the quality of their production given their illustrious history) or the game won’t be broadcast at all. I’ve heard that it can be a big deal to get a production team together for a game, that’s why I include the latter scenario.

(Still rooting for the little turtles, though. *ducks* )
Matnum PI

Re: Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

Post by Matnum PI »

with the SU faithful and this being so last minute, i'd be surprised if SU just said, "Sure, we'll go to College Park and, in terms of SU fans being able to see the game, whatever works out...". I'd imagine that there's some plan in place. e.g. Even if the production value is weaker than expected, something... Please...
Caddy Day
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

ESPN's upcoming broadcast list is not showing this game either today or tomorrow.

Nothing on BTN so far.

So I'd like to see Syracuse win this 38-2, starters the whole way and a lot of so-called showboaty shots.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:43 am ESPN's upcoming broadcast list is not showing this game either today or tomorrow.

Nothing on BTN so far.

So I'd like to see Syracuse win this 38-2, starters the whole way and a lot of so-called showboaty shots.
Why, that will set a new record for most goals scored in a game seacoaster! The current record is 36.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I heard from a source the following...sorry if this has been posted previously...cant speak to its validity as I dont know my source's source.

Cathy said, we cant come because of the weather, Gary said, we will come to you. Cathy said she couldnt find refs, Gary said he found refs and that they were coming.

Sounds like Gary really wants to play this game now....I expect a beat down.
totc

Post by totc »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:41 am with the SU faithful and this being so last minute, i'd be surprised if SU just said, "Sure, we'll go to College Park and, in terms of SU fans being able to see the game, whatever works out...". I'd imagine that there's some plan in place. e.g. Even if the production value is weaker than expected, something... Please...
It's usually the home team who has TV rights, etc. This means that BTN Plus should be picking this up. Not sure this is happening.

Oh, well. You can always watch The Final Third on Saturday! (http://www.facebook.com/totc.mobi) I'll be intersplicing commentary from that game into what we already have lined up with games like UNC-UVA, SBU-Fla, and the first round of games in NESCAC. I think Middlebury-Bowdoin and Hamilton-Amherst are the top games Saturday.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

totc wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:38 am Oh, well. You can always watch The Final Third on Saturday!
This isn't helping...

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:26 amCathy said, we cant come because of the weather, Gary said, we will come to you. Cathy said she couldnt find refs, Gary said he found refs and that they were coming.
Wow, that's awesome...
Caddy Day

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”