Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxorangebookworm

Re: Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

Post by laxorangebookworm »

Maryland75 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:33 am
DMac wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:30 am
Maryland75 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:47 am Congratulations to the Syracuse Women’s Lacrosse team on their second win over Maryland. Gotta love this, the one giving the tongue lashing has got to let us know this is only second time Cuse has ever beat the mighty Maryland team. Nice way to throw a subtle little dig in along with your sincere congratulations. Their picture under the scoreboard was very telling with the final score showing as well as all the years Maryland has been National Champions. I haven't seen it but maybe you can let me know what is so telling about it. What more does it say than, man, we're really happy to have beat this legendary program?Shame on the rest of you posters who feel that Coach Reese and her team tried to orchestrate canceling or postponing the game. There is certainly no proof beyond the Department in Maryland responsible for the safety of students and transportation making this decision. Yes they were in error but it was their decision. Perhaps this Maryland team is not up to their normal standards however the glee so many of you show in swing them lose is really very disturbing. Disturbing? Please! You expect a ho hum, it's just another game when a team knocks off such a legendary program? Get used to it, it comes with the territory, kinda like with the Yankees, Patriots and even the Cuse mlaxers. After all this is a college sport played by 18-22 year olds who certainly don’t deserve your disdain.These 18-22 year olds aren't fragile little flowers, they know full well that they (the team) have the biggest target on their back in the world of D1 wlax. They'll get over this, probably before you will, and be just fine.
I have no issues with the Syracuse teams celebration, they deserve it. I do have issues with the accusations that the Maryland team had any part in the decision to not go to Syracuse. Many posters claim that they seem to have first hand knowledge of who made the decision and for what reason when they really have no idea. Secondly I was watching the men’s game against Notre Dame so yes I’m over it. But your correct in that I take umbrage in know it alls degrades program that doesn’t deserve it.
To be honest, Maryland fans are a tad arrogant (you guys do like to rub it in when you win...just don't be surprised when it's reciprocated) and DMac is right: nice little dig along with the congrats. Having said that, I'll also admit that Maryland is the premier program in D1 women's lacrosse. If teams don't like it, then they need to get better. The same issue has cropped up in women's basketball with UConn and Coach Auriemma's response was the same: then play better.

I will say I have a hard time believing the bus story. It sounds like a nice tale and wonderfully dramatic, but doesn't make a lot of sense. The Maryland players were on the bus and just about to leave when, at the last second, the bus company/DOT/whatever swoops in and suddenly refuses to travel up there. Really? They waited until the players were literally on the bus before they made that decision? Like I said, sounds like really good dramatic fiction, but doesn't make much sense in reality.

Here's what I think went down. The Maryland Athletic Department looked at the weather for central New York, saw the 2-4 feet amount and pushed the panic button. Not really understanding how lake effect works (which is understandable if you don't live near the Great Lakes), they were concerned that they'd be caught in that. However, the lake effect band did not move south (as it was predicted not to because it's based on which way the wind is blowing) and Maryland looked a bit foolish and caught in a screw up. As most bureaucracies do so often, they don't fess up to the initial mistake and double down with something a bit more fanciful to cover it up (and yes, athletic departments everywhere are indeed bureaucracies). Nothing evil or nefarious about it, just human nature.

Naturally, people are going to poke fun at Maryland for making that mistake. However, I do not agree with the posts that I've seen on UMWLAX Twitter and Facebook pages that have been really nasty for the most part. That's really bad form (and yes, I'd say the same thing if it was on the men's side, so please don't mistake this for some white knighting) and it shouldn't happen.
Turtles Lax

Cannot object to Syracuse players...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...wanting their photo in connection with a display denoting fifteen (15!) National Championship images. After all that is the ONLY way they will ever connect with even one (1!) National Championship given their history...in particular their post-season history. :lol:

And some of you continue to be totally uninformed and absolutely ignorant. You cannot even comprehend it was not a bus contractor who canceled the trip. You don’t even comprehend the number of busses involved. And it was the University of Maryland transportation department that canceled the trip. Want to deny I am absolutely correct? BET ME!

Name your stakes...anything you have but make it worth my time and effort to publicly embarrass you. Multiple bets gladly accepted.

Will try never to embarrass a player from ANY team but the Tweet from a former goalie sorely tempts me. Better represent and should not post anything challenging sportsmanship when you are guilty of one of the most blatant physical ‘attacks’ on a player ever witnessed.

Re: NU, they are responsible for one of the most disrespectful and horrible actions in the history of the sport. Whatever trolling they get is well deserved. Your opinions may vary. Mine never, ever will.

FOR THE RECORD, WHAT NU DID HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THEIR PLAYERS. Multiple players and their families are well aware of that.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Really bad form in your first paragraph, Turtle. When you get doubled up on your home field by an inferior program such as Syracuse’s then you should probably just not say anything at all about it lest you call even more attention to it. Fact is, Syracuse bagged big game and has every right to show themselves with the trophy. All of Maryland’s previous victories cannot be traded in for yesterday. As a matter of fact, I would probably view Maryland’s season as ruined by losing to a team they have owned.

The Maryland fans have been insufferable for years. What goes around surely comes around.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Ketch wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:47 pm Really bad form in your first paragraph, Turtle. When you get doubled up on your home field by an inferior program such as Syracuse’s then you should probably just not say anything at all about it lest you call even more attention to it...

The Maryland fans have been insufferable for years. What goes around surely comes around.
Well said, Ketch. Any fanbase that enjoys dominance over a long period of time becomes arrogant and entitled, and squeal at the least little criticism of their team. They use a deny, deny, accuse tactic when exposed in a controversy, e.g. FakeSnowDangerGate. They belittle anyone else's accomplishments as pathetically inferior to theirs. Insufferable is precisely the right word to describe them.
Turtles Lax

Wow!

Post by Turtles Lax »

So “Suck on that one, Little Turtles” is acceptable in your mind, Ketch? Nice. Really classy you are. :?

wlaxnut, kindly post your stakes as you clearly still are in denial of the reason the game travel was canceled. I am standing by...

Out.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Don't smart people turn off the scoreboard immediately after a loss so that the visiting opponent can't get a celebratory photo under it?
Last edited by Badlands on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxnut

Re: Wow!

Post by wlaxnut »

Turtles Lax wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:34 pm So “Suck on that one, Little Turtles” is acceptable in your mind, Ketch? Nice. Really classy you are. :?

wlaxnut, kindly post your stakes as you clearly still are in denial of the reason the game travel was canceled. I am standing by...

Out.
That was my interpretation of the Instagram post--not Ketch's. Funny--a Maryland fan calling someone out on their lack of class.

What I take issue with is the comportment of Maryland fans. At this point I really couldn't care less what the ultimate reason was for cancelling the trip to Syracuse. It has been well discussed here in this thread. Ain't buyin' your spin, doctor.

(Do you typically drop your third person voice when defending the Little Turtle wall?)
DMac

Post by DMac »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:16 pm
Director Damon Evans said in the statement. “Due to the forecasted winter weather conditions in Upstate New York, our University Department of Transportation determined it was unsafe to travel.”
https://www.syracuse.com/orangewomen/20 ... acuse.html
TL, DMac is very surprised by the tone of TL's post.
TL must have missed DMac's post earlier in the thread. Is TL claiming this to be false?
TL is displaying a nose up in the air, arrogant, elitists attitude and perpetuating the casual fan's perception of the wlax world. DMac will never enjoy another one of TL's posts.
Peace out.
Turtles Lax

not you, DMac

Post by Turtles Lax »

DMac, not referencing you whatsoever. Your post was accurate.

Others are ignoring facts and must call them out.

I am sorry YOU if you and other true fans are offended by my post(s) in this thread. But cannot abide liars.
Last edited by Turtles Lax on Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxorangebookworm

Ok, I think we all need a time out to cool down.

TL, if it was the Maryland DOT, so be it. Still a bureaucratic snafu and it should be poked fun at. And I still hold to what I said earlier: Maryland fans are a tad arrogant and some of the reactions I've seen both here and in other places doesn't make me want to change that opinion. We get that UM will be back and from what I saw on Saturday, I think the Terps are starting to gel a bit. Probably their toughest tests left are Northwestern, Penn and Princeton and I think they could win any one of those.

Having said that, I do not agree at all with some of the stuff I've seen on the Maryland WLAX twitter and Facebook threads. There were some nasty posts on both and I don't like the fact that Syracuse is associated with that, particularly since much of that vitriol was directed at the team itself, which had nothing to do with the decision not to travel.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:28 pm Ok, I think we all need a time out to cool down.
This is tame. You want to read where tempers really got flaring? Read the "Ivy League issue?" thread.
laxorangebookworm

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:52 pm
laxorangebookworm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:28 pm Ok, I think we all need a time out to cool down.
This is tame. You want to read where tempers really got flaring? Read the "Ivy League issue?" thread.
I just did. Jesus... :shock:
I think that Anchorman quote sums that thread up nicely: "Well, that escalated quickly."
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:24 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:52 pm
I just did. Jesus... :shock:
I think that Anchorman quote sums that thread up nicely: "Well, that escalated quickly."
LOL! Those fireworks kept us entertained for a while. You have to do something in the off-season. 😉
Turtles Lax

TL taking a timeout...

Post by Turtles Lax »

..from this thread before the mods consign TL to ban camp. :o

Peace, out.

TL
wlaxnut

Re: TL taking a timeout...

Post by wlaxnut »

Turtles Lax wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:06 pm ..from this thread before the mods consign TL to ban camp. :o

Peace, out.

TL
This is a whole new place. Tell TL he doesn't have to worry about that petty censorship anymore.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Maybe we turn the page on this one. The team we expected to win, won. As Jed Bartlett says, "What's next?"
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:36 pm Don't smart people turn off the scoreboard immediately after a loss so that the visiting opponent can't get a celebratory photo under it?
the poets down here don't write nothin' at all, they just stand back and let it all be...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:54 pm Ain't buyin' your spin, doctor.
I almost freaked out when I thought you were talking to me....

Marry him or marry me
I'm the one that loved you baby can't you see?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:28 pm We get that UM will be back and from what I saw on Saturday, I think the Terps are starting to gel a bit. Probably their toughest tests left are Northwestern, Penn and Princeton and I think they could win any one of those.
Dont forget about Cindy and her Mids....
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:59 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:54 pm Ain't buyin' your spin, doctor.
I almost freaked out when I thought you were talking to me....

Marry him or marry me
I'm the one that loved you baby can't you see?
Nah--just a little play on woids up in there. Context, Doc. 😉

(Pretty good with the lyrics and play on words yourself there.)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”