Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Maryland75

Re: Cuse-Maryland AT MARYLAND, 2/29, 1200 hrs.

Post by Maryland75 »

Does anyone really believe there is an ulterior motive behind this? Maryland goes everywhere and plays all over the east coast as well as the Midwest. In light of the Kobe Bryant horror and knowing how quickly weather can change in upstate NY a decision was made for Md not to travel. If Syracuse wants to travel south where no snow is forecast, that is their call. It is only a lacrosse game out of conference. I’m sure both teams want to play the game.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Maryland75 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:54 pm Does anyone really believe there is an ulterior motive behind this? Maryland goes everywhere and plays all over the east coast as well as the Midwest. In light of the Kobe Bryant horror and knowing how quickly weather can change in upstate NY a decision was made for Md not to travel. If Syracuse wants to travel south where no snow is forecast, that is their call. It is only a lacrosse game out of conference. I’m sure both teams want to play the game.
I dunno Maryland--the weather thing has been fairly well debunked in this thread if you read more thoroughly. I don't know about ulterior motives but some little turtles have been stranded onshore by the tide of information and frankly, they're beginning to smell.
Badlands

Re: Still tossing sarcasm grenades on social media

Post by Badlands »

What’s interesting to me about that tweet is the people who appear on it. Kinda surprised by the public nature of it.
seacoaster

Re: Still tossing sarcasm grenades on social media

Post by seacoaster »

Badlands wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:03 pm
What’s interesting to me about that tweet is the people who appear on it. Kinda surprised by the public nature of it.
Yup; I was thinking that maybe DMac's favorite player should let her talkin' happen on the field.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

And others connected in various ways to the program. Many teams are pretty strict about that sort of public commentary by people associated with the team. Surprising.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

njbill wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:51 am What are the NCAA rules on forfeits? wlaxnut, we need you to pull out your rulebook and get on this. 😀
I looked. I searched forfeits (which only deals with player/coach gross misconduct such as refusing to leave the field if ejected) and weather, which deals primarily with lightning or the threat of lightning.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:11 pm And others connected in various ways to the program. Many teams are pretty strict about that sort of public commentary by people associated with the team. Surprising.
She's been pretty vocal all day--tweeting and re-tweeting about the situation. I agree--it is out of the ordinary. Gary either hasn't heard or he's getting a chuckle from it.

https://twitter.com/megcarney02
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Turtles Lax

TL checking in!

Post by Turtles Lax »

TL was alerted to this rather strange situation just a bit ago. TL is on a motorcycle trip and just arrived atop a beer stool in Key West.

First, if anyone is serious about TL’s Laxchix ducking anyone you are truly out of touch with reality. TL cannot be more serious.

YOUR Maryland Terrapins are not afraid of any team and to suggest they are afraid to play Da ‘Cuse is simply stupid.

More in a bit, maybe, but the band is starting and TL cannot concentrate. 🤫

Peace, out.

TL
seacoaster

Re: TL checking in!

Post by seacoaster »

Turtles Lax wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:02 pm TL was alerted to this rather strange situation just a bit ago. TL is on a motorcycle trip and just arrived atop a beer stool in Key West.

First, if anyone is serious about TL’s Laxchix ducking anyone you are truly out of touch with reality. TL cannot be more serious.

YOUR Maryland Terrapins are not afraid of any team and to suggest they are afraid to play Da ‘Cuse is simply stupid.

More in a bit, maybe, but the band is starting and TL cannot concentrate. 🤫

Peace, out.

TL
Nice to see a guy set and keep his priorities.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Turtles Lax wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:02 pm
I dont think that us non-illuminati were suggesting a fear of oranges, just a fear of losing 3 in a row....And the GOAT's interest in getting a win over Maryland when he can.

Have a hurricane, more bang for the buck.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:15 pm
Turtles Lax wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:02 pm
I dont think that us non-illuminati were suggesting a fear of oranges, just a fear of losing 3 in a row....And the GOAT's interest in getting a win over Maryland when he can.

Have a hurricane, more bang for the buck.
One has to go back to 2006 to find the last time the Little Turtles dropped 3 in a row.
last time it happened.png
last time it happened.png (137.29 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
njbill

Post by njbill »

I think, as usual, Doc is right on the money. To extrapolate a little from something he said upthread, just as Gary wants at the Ducks (f/k/a Terrapins) now before the little ducklings mature, Cathy saw this as perhaps a convenient way to get the game rescheduled til later in the year when she hopes her team will be playing better. Plus she doesn't want to go down three. Did the Maryland of old, back when they ruled the roost, duck teams? Probably not. They had no reason to. But things are different this year.

And, BTW, almost all coaches duck teams from time to time, especially when they know the match-up is unfavorable. I've had more than one coach tell me that (in private).

Can we please stop with the Kobe Bryant references? Driving a bus on a dry road in clear weather is worlds different from flying a helicopter into a fog bank (or milk bowl, as I learned over on the politics board).

If Maryland supporters want to provide an explanation that makes sense, I think this board would be all ears and probably receptive. But the "weather" excuse has been completely debunked. We all have access to the internet, ya know.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

I'm a little hesitant to post this because I'm not sure what to think and I'm not taking a side, but...

If MD was worried about the weather, why didn't they just move the game to Thursday? Both schedules would have been quite amenable to this. I know of times teams have done this in the past to beat weather. Missing an extra day of class isn't ideal but it happens. Would have made things easier on Gary certainly. I'm not familiar with the Syracuse weather forecast throughout the week though, so if anyone can shed some light on that...
laxagainsthumanity

If the Terps were planning on flying, it's tougher to move the game up, although they could have bit the bullet and bussed up. It's only about six hours according to the Google.
laxagainsthumanity

AND I don't know the Dome schedule. Also important to consider.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:39 pm AND I don't know the Dome schedule. Also important to consider.
The Dome is closed after Sunday due to renovations that will continue through the fall. In addition, there is no reasonable scheduling that can be done after this game. It was either play it now or don't play it at all.

Here are the schedules for both teams that you can peruse. I checked it last night and I'm pretty sure there are no other dates to reschedule other than tomorrow.

https://umterps.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/schedule

https://cuse.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/schedule
laxorangebookworm

BTW, I don't believe that "exchange" between Reese and Gait. I don't know either of them personally, but it doesn't sound like either of them at all.

Also, I think Syracuse fans need to back off a bit with the twitter attacks on Maryland's WLAX site. It doesn't make the Orange look good. It'll be settled on the field.
laxagainsthumanity

I'm saying if they knew weather might be an issue, move the game up a day to Thursday 2/27. Actually a relatively common solution to the same problem. Cuse last played Monday, Maryland Saturday. There were no events in the Dome last night according to the Syracuse website. I don't understand why they didn't do this.
laxorangebookworm

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:53 pm I'm saying if they knew weather might be an issue, move the game up a day to Thursday 2/27. Actually a relatively common solution to the same problem. Cuse last played Monday, Maryland Saturday. There were no events in the Dome last night according to the Syracuse website. I don't understand why they didn't do this.
That would have been impossible since Maryland was set to leave on Thursday when all of the hullaballoo began. Up through Wednesday, there was no doubt about the game being played on Friday.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”