Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by wlaxnut »

Lax247 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 am Just listened to a new podcast that goes over several of these past weekends games. Going to be a weekly podcast. Link below for the lax nerd ;)
https://t.co/bd57TCe7a1
I made it through about 34 minutes of the podcast. I was driving so I was a kind of captive audience. The amount of clichés that the assistant coach from UMass used sent me over the edge. I can’t stand listening to sports personalities talk in clichés. “We’re just trying to get the girls to stay in the moment and be the best they can be.“ 🙄

The first part of the show was too technical for a fan like me who has never played lacrosse and has only recently become a fan since 2015. All the lacrosse jargon. I doubt very much that they have fans like me in mind for the concept of the show, which is fine – but just to say it wasn’t my cup of tea. I would much rather read one of seacoaster’s posts than listen to these guys go on and on with technical jargon enough to strangle a horse. Not to mention that the woman kept interrupting the man in the first half of the show. He’s asking a question and he’s not even half done with it and she interrupts him and starts talking. I guess I’m spoiled by Felger and Mazz, a sports talk radio show here in Boston. That’s one of the things Felger stresses all the time, “I talk, you talk – that’s how this works.“ In any event, that’s my take on the podcast. Thanks for recommending it however.

Oh, and one more pet peeve. The woman cohost said that 17 yellow cards were issued in the Michigan/Jacksonville game. That’s incorrect. Three of them were green. I know that’s a small point but that kind of stuff irks me. Do the research!
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:32 pm Princeton may want you to think about it some more....all kidding aside, that will be the only hurdle to being undefeated.
I would derive great pleasure if Princeton is able to go into LaValle Stadium and humble the Seawolves. I just think SBU has too many weapons.
wlaxnut

Excellent Short Documentary about Lacrosse

Post by wlaxnut »

My kind of documentary. Quiet, no hype, just people talking about what lacrosse means to their Native American culture and history. The older man who still makes wooden sticks is worth a watch just on his own. Really well done. Thought I would share it. 30 minutes well spent.

https://youtu.be/GCyv_4TYf2Q
DMac

Post by DMac »

That old guy, Alfie Jacques, who makes the sticks, is simply the best. Got a couple of hundred hours hangin' out at his shop BSing. Spend some time with Alfie and you come away with a different spirit and understanding of the game, he's a pretty special guy who, hands down, makes the best sticks.
You've seen one of his sticks before:
When it comes time to drill the holes for stringing the stick he just eyeballs it and drills the holes. You put four of those sticks next to one another and you'd think it was done by machine, they're all exactly the same.
Oh, in case you're wondering, the cat's name is Obama.
Good stuff.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:37 am That old guy, Alfie Jacques, who makes the sticks, is simply the best. Got a couple of hundred hours hangin' out at his shop BSing. Spend some time with Alfie and you come away with a different spirit and understanding of the game, he's a pretty special guy who, hands down, makes the best sticks.
When it comes time to drill the holes for stringing the stick he just eyeballs it and drills the holes. You put four of those sticks next to one another and you'd think it was done by machine, they're all exactly the same.
Oh, in case you're wondering, the cat's name is Obama.
Good stuff.
Wow! That is so cool DMac. He seems like a quietly fascinating man. I was inspired after watching the documentary, and I especially liked the scenes with him. Gave me an even deeper appreciation for the game.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Anyone else think it strange that Stony Brook has two weeks off between games? Is that typical for division one during the regular season?
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:11 am Anyone else think it strange that Stony Brook has two weeks off between games? Is that typical for division one during the regular season?
It's unusual, but not illegal. Most teams go about a week between games, most likely to get some rest but also to remain focused. They play 17 games (the max), but I've seen programs play just 15 (Ivy League) or 16 games (UNC). Or you can be Syracuse and do grand tours zigzagging across half the country in a week (Sunday March 29 at Notre Dame, Wednesday April 1 at Loyola, Saturday April 4 vs. Duke in Dallas...as in Texas...). At least it isn't the 4 game/8 day run they had back in 2018 (at Notre Dame, at Northwestern, at Princeton, home for Duke). :?
NewtTauntonVC2020

Post by NewtTauntonVC2020 »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:53 pm
Lax247 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 am Just listened to a new podcast that goes over several of these past weekends games. Going to be a weekly podcast. Link below for the lax nerd ;)
I made it through about 34 minutes of the podcast. I was driving so I was a kind of captive audience. The amount of clichés that the assistant coach from UMass used sent me over the edge. I can’t stand listening to sports personalities talk in clichés. “We’re just trying to get the girls to stay in the moment and be the best they can be.“ 🙄

The first part of the show was too technical for a fan like me who has never played lacrosse and has only recently become a fan since 2015. All the lacrosse jargon. I doubt very much that they have fans like me in mind for the concept of the show, which is fine – but just to say it wasn’t my cup of tea. I would much rather read one of seacoaster’s posts than listen to these guys go on and on with technical jargon enough to strangle a horse. Not to mention that the woman kept interrupting the man in the first half of the show. He’s asking a question and he’s not even half done with it and she interrupts him and starts talking. I guess I’m spoiled by Felger and Mazz, a sports talk radio show here in Boston. That’s one of the things Felger stresses all the time, “I talk, you talk – that’s how this works.“ In any event, that’s my take on the podcast. Thanks for recommending it however.

Oh, and one more pet peeve. The woman cohost said that 17 yellow cards were issued in the Michigan/Jacksonville game. That’s incorrect. Three of them were green. I know that’s a small point but that kind of stuff irks me. Do the research!
No wlaxnut, they do not have you in mind. Their podcasts are for coaches. And if you are gonna have a ticky tacky complaint about whether the 17 cards were all yellow, at least make an effort to learn the names of the people on the podcast, and the "old guy" in the documentary. Talk about not doing research. It's the difference between trying to talk the talk, and having your ass on the grass. Nerd Alert!
laxorangebookworm

NewtTauntonVC2020 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:02 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:53 pm

No wlaxnut, they do not have you in mind. Their podcasts are for coaches. And if you are gonna have a ticky tacky complaint about whether the 17 cards were all yellow, at least make an effort to learn the names of the people on the podcast, and the "old guy" in the documentary. Talk about not doing research. It's the difference between trying to talk the talk, and having your ass on the grass. Nerd Alert!
You seem nice...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:25 pm You seem nice...
Well, it was a great first post.... :D
njbill

Post by njbill »

My thoughts exactly. What are the odds this one is one and done?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:35 pm My thoughts exactly. What are the odds this one is one and done?
Ya think they have some skin in the podcast?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Ah, very good point.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

NewtTauntonVC2020 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:02 pm No wlaxnut, they do not have you in mind. Their podcasts are for coaches. And if you are gonna have a ticky tacky complaint about whether the 17 cards were all yellow, at least make an effort to learn the names of the people on the podcast,

Why would I possibly want to take the time to do that if I don't intend to ever listen to it again? And if I remember correctly, I was directing my comments to Lax247. I don't know who you are.

and the "old guy" in the documentary. Talk about not doing research.

Are you quoting me? "Talk about not doing research" is right!

It's the difference between trying to talk the talk, and having your ass on the grass. Nerd Alert!

Talk what talk?? I'm writing on a forum with some other cool and friendly members of a pretty small women's lacrosse community. We all pretty much know each other here. I don't know who you are.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

This cracked me up, Book. Too funny.
laxorangebookworm

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:53 pm
This cracked me up, Book. Too funny.
The comment practically begged for it. :lol:
NewtTauntonVC2020

Post by NewtTauntonVC2020 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:37 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:35 pm My thoughts exactly. What are the odds this one is one and done?
No skin. Two coaches trying to help coaches...and Jamie Munro has been doing that for a long time. The podcast is free.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

NewtTauntonVC2020 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:51 pm
No skin. Two coaches trying to help coaches...and Jamie Munro has been doing that for a long time. The podcast is free.
But the petulance will cost you a pound of flesh.
njbill

Post by njbill »

No jimmies either, right wlaxnut?
njbill

Post by njbill »

NewtTauntonVC2020 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:51 pm
OK, two and done.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”