All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:42 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:15 pm Baltimore MD, HackensackNJ, Geneva NY, Youngstown Ohio, Indianapolis IN,
It’s been a little of everything.
Lots of bad decisions and poor choices.
Hard to pinpoint whether the things like alcoholism, drug use, laziness, child abandonment, were a cause of the issue or a result of the issue.
Or that they are humans.
Certainly statistically there will be folks who go 'wrong' in their lives, with major negative repercussions for their families. For those who do not have the resiliency of otherwise successful families, it can drag everyone into a downward spiral, particularly when physical or emotional abuse is involved. Doesn't mean that a generation or two later can't bounce back, but there can be a lot of damage, for sure.

I just don't think these sorts of issues are typical, in the least, of the immigrant experience.
But obviously statistically there will be some.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Something does not seem right. From the article...

In the U.S., a single worker must earn roughly $23,000 to $62,000 to be considered middle class.

On paper..... $23k/year is ~$12/yr for a 2000 hour year. That is not challenging, even with 2 part time jobs.

More...
"One in 5 middle-class households spend more than what they earn, which is increasing indebtedness," Scarpetta said. "It's becoming more difficult for the middle class to pay for the things they need." I certainly see this in young men and women I interview , hire, and associate with. Many still live with mom and dad or when they do move out, it is often with many others...and their "keepin up with the jones' mentality still thrives. Just look around during lunch hour....these people are dropping 3-5 for a coffee every morning and evening, with a $15 lunch and cocktails in the evening and weekends.

I only see them clean up their act once marriage is in the mix and especially when kids are on the way.....maybe the stat of comparison that is missing is that fewer people are getting married.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:45 pm

In the U.S., a single worker must earn roughly $23,000 to $62,000 to be considered middle class.

On paper..... $23k/year is ~$12/yr for a 2000 hour year. That is not challenging, even with 2 part time jobs.

More...
"One in 5 middle-class households spend more than what they earn, which is increasing indebtedness," Scarpetta said. "It's becoming more difficult for the middle class to pay for the things they need." I certainly see this in young men and women I interview , hire, and associate with. Many still live with mom and dad or when they do move out, it is often with many others...and their "keepin up with the jones' mentality still thrives. Just look around during lunch hour....these people are dropping 3-5 for a coffee every morning and evening, with a $15 lunch and cocktails in the evening and weekends.

I only see them clean up their act once marriage is in the mix and especially when kids are on the way.....maybe the stat of comparison that is missing is that fewer people are getting married.
It’s a global phenomenon. Could be some of what you said.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:47 pm

More...

You posted this with something in mind...what are you thinking?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:47 pm

More...

You posted this with something in mind...what are you thinking?
Sustainable generational upward mobility is not always a given. Luck and good fortune is just as important as just sheer will. The idea that all these poor families are the same poor families generation after generation is just a stereotype. Some move up and some don’t. It is part of what makes people human.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

More...

youth, perhaps your confusion is that you missed that the stat explicitly refers to a single worker, not a household. So, $23k floor not $12k.

That's a $12.50 per hour rate at 2,000 hours. Insurance, rent, food, transportation eat up nearly all of that for a single person. Add any kids to say a single mom or dad and you're just not making it.

It really requires two of those incomes to get any semblance of lower middle class lifestyle, and even there, that's one illness away from devastation.
kramerica.inc

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:09 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:10 am Bravo. Accurate indeed. At least JHU admits it.
There are in fact different expectations for different people.
Raised expectations for US and Israel.
Lowered/No expectations for China, Iran and everyone else with regard to quality of life/energy/pollution/trade/human rights.
This explains many problems relating to the left.
Apparently you speak for the right. What are YOU doing about China? Is that a computer you're using to answer me? And where did the components in your computer come from?

And let me see if I get what you're saying here: do you think that we should LOWER our expectations of Western countries to pull them in line with Fascist nations like Iran and China? That's the plan?

Put the left----the REAL American left in charge of America? They'd stop trading with China tomorrow. So why are you complaining?

I disagree with that path, btw.
So I can’t be critical of the left. And if I do I represent the right?
Don’t expect Lowered expectations for the west. Higher for China.
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:10 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:09 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:10 am Bravo. Accurate indeed. At least JHU admits it.
There are in fact different expectations for different people.
Raised expectations for US and Israel.
Lowered/No expectations for China, Iran and everyone else with regard to quality of life/energy/pollution/trade/human rights.
This explains many problems relating to the left.
Apparently you speak for the right. What are YOU doing about China? Is that a computer you're using to answer me? And where did the components in your computer come from?

And let me see if I get what you're saying here: do you think that we should LOWER our expectations of Western countries to pull them in line with Fascist nations like Iran and China? That's the plan?

Put the left----the REAL American left in charge of America? They'd stop trading with China tomorrow. So why are you complaining?

I disagree with that path, btw.
So I can’t be critical of the left. And if I do I represent the right?
Don’t expect Lowered expectations for the west. Higher for China.
Kram, no sweat if you want to identify as 'right' and want to critique the "left", but a fan just explained to you that the far left would shut down everything with China, not cut them slack.

It's not "lowered expectations" to recognize that authoritarians are authoritarians and are thus predictably going to act like authoritarians. And conversely that constitutional democracies are expected to act like constitutional democracies.

What's whacko is to kiss the butts of authoritarians.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:10 pm So I can’t be critical of the left.
Sure you can. But you understand that the American left has zero----zero-----power on the Federal level. So hitting them over China is a tad pointless.
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:10 pm And if I do I represent the right?
If you were on the left or in the middle, you'd understand that the left has no power over how America handles China.
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:10 pm Don’t expect Lowered expectations for the west. Higher for China.
Ok. So what do you propose we do? Right now, Trump is doing nothing about it. In fact, he's about to make things worse with China.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

During its stretch the SARS virus had almost 800 total victims. The nCoV has already surpassed 550. Back in 2003 SARS arrived in the Toronto area with the arrival of the grandmother of one of the early victims. Leading to 251 cases and 43 deaths. Back then I used to travel to TO frequently. While I would normally be visiting TO this time of year to take advantage of their underground city during the winter, I’m passing for the moment. The Asian population in that area has exploded and I’m 17 years older, so I’m going to wait this out for the moment. What happened in TO then could easily happen here today and I don’t have much confidence in China’s information infrastructure.

Economically, the SARS event which was centered in the massive Toronto suburb of Scarborough (600,000+) which has a large Chinese population. Many Chinese owned businesses were boycotted. Many lost up to 80% of normal revenue and many went out of business.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The Coronavirus is now racing through a cruise ship in the Pacific.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Bart

Post by Bart »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 pm During its stretch the SARS virus had almost 800 total victims. The nCoV has already surpassed 550. Back in 2003 SARS arrived in the Toronto area with the arrival of the grandmother of one of the early victims. Leading to 251 cases and 43 deaths. Back then I used to travel to TO frequently. While I would normally be visiting TO this time of year to take advantage of their underground city during the winter, I’m passing for the moment. The Asian population in that area has exploded and I’m 17 years older, so I’m going to wait this out for the moment. What happened in TO then could easily happen here today and I don’t have much confidence in China’s information infrastructure.

Economically, the SARS event which was centered in the massive Toronto suburb of Scarborough (600,000+) which has a large Chinese population. Many Chinese owned businesses were boycotted. Many lost up to 80% of normal revenue and many went out of business.
SARS had a mortality rate of roughly 10%, I believe. Right now Corona virus is at 4.1% at its highest. The Flu in comparison is usually around 1%, at the most. It is entirely possible that the mortality rate of the coronavirus will drop as early indications seems to be on the extreme end which would favor a higher mortality rate. There has been a bunch of reporting that the number of cases in China being reported is low. It is hard to truly get a handle on what is going on when you can not trust the numbers originating from a country that seems to be not sharing all its data. Time will tell.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

New Report on 138 Coronavirus Cases Reveals Disturbing Details

"A highly contagious patient, virus transmission inside a hospital and unexpected turns for the worse have emerged as part of the epidemic in China."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/heal ... &smtyp=cur

Also, first American citizen dies from the virus in China.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://asumetech.com/coronavirus-impac ... er-report/

"Coronavirus’ impact on life in China could potentially cause NHL stick shortage, per report

The coronavirus’ impact on life in China has actually apparently made an unforseen impact on the NHL as equipment business that mainly make their hockey sticks in the nation have actually stopped production.

NBC Sports hockey analyst Pierre Maguire first made this claim throughout the broadcast of a Buffalo Sabres-Detroit Red Wings game on Thursday. On Saturday, the Boston World’s Matt Porter reported that while hockey stick makers challenged that there is a “major shortage” of sticks, the circumstances could rapidly leave lots of players shorthanded.

According to the World, Bauer, CCM and True Hockey all make their professional sticks in China, supplying roughly 75 percent of NHLers with their sticks each year based on information from Equipment Geek. NHL players normally utilize brand-new sticks in every game and have a number of readily available to them throughout any provided game Modern sticks made from composite fibers frequently break throughout games; a single gamer can quickly lose 3 or more sticks on an especially unfortunate day.

Maguire declared throughout Thursday’s broadcast that an equipment manager for either the Sabres or Red Wings declared a lot of the team’s players are “utilizing a one-stick limitation for practice and perhaps 2 for games,” which players around the league are growing worried where their next batch of sticks could originated from."
kramerica.inc

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by kramerica.inc »

NHL sticks are the least worries.
Its being under-reported to keep markets from spiraling. This looks a lot like the Chinese bio-ed themselves.
Scary videos leaking online of the Chinese barring /cabling and dumping gravel in front of building doors to quarantine people. Then here's the new hospital built in 10 days- with bars. Others of gov officials hauling people away in metal boxes in the back of trucks.

Here is the positive propaganda the chinese is putting out:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... bhK_YVyZFD

This is the "positive" stuff.

:shock:
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:51 pm NHL sticks are the least worries.
Its being under-reported to keep markets from spiraling. This looks a lot like the Chinese bio-ed themselves.
Scary videos leaking online of the Chinese barring /cabling and dumping gravel in front of building doors to quarantine people. Then here's the new hospital built in 10 days- with bars. Others of gov officials hauling people away in metal boxes in the back of trucks.

Here is the positive propaganda the chinese is putting out:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... bhK_YVyZFD

This is the "positive" stuff.

:shock:
You think this is bad.....? Hopefully Russia doesn’t have an accident. It could be lights out for 1/3 of the world’s population in a worse case scenario.
a fan

Post by a fan »

I wouldn't worry. The free market will sort it out. ;)

Return to “POLITICS”