Transfer Portal 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GaitsRightHand

Re: Transfer Portal 2025

Post by GaitsRightHand »

1766 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:28 pm I'm not sure how sustainable this is but what's currently being offered to some of these players is eye popping for a college lacrosse player. The players are right to take advantage of it when they can.
Interesting... Can you give us a ballpark number on how much the higher paid ones are getting?

Post by 1766 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:32 pm
1766 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:28 pm I'm not sure how sustainable this is but what's currently being offered to some of these players is eye popping for a college lacrosse player. The players are right to take advantage of it when they can.
Interesting... Can you give us a ballpark number on how much the higher paid ones are getting?

I'd rather not get too into it, but the biggest number I'm aware of is $150K this past season. There are a number of others at half of that. Again, I don't see how this is sustainable is the overarching theme. Sure, there are some deep pocket alums at a number of schools, but that's a tall order to continue to fund in perpetuity, especially as that pool of funds will continue to rise. At some point, it's going to be two or three schools amassing all of the talent. Pay for play (what NIL really is) has rendered scholarship limits irrelevant in both theory and practice.

Complicated subject when you take free market principles into consideration. As it is until something changes, good for a few schools, not as good for some, others will not be able to compete in any fashion.
coda

Post by coda »

I dont like hearing kids are trying to hold teams hostage for more money, but I also dont blame them for taking the money. The problem is fans trying to buy wins in a sport that has very little exposure. This is one of the best examples of abusing NIL.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Re: what some of you have said...

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/17 ... 8053098629
According to a source, close to 100 underclassmen at the Division I level have entered the portal since the window opened.
This seems like a lot at first glance, but it averages out to far less than 2 per team, and a lot of them are probably from lower level programs like Canisius. So the number of high-impact players is likely quite slim. Still, probably a bigger number than people assumed. Should be interesting.

Post by 1766 »

coda wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:02 pm
I dont like hearing kids are trying to hold teams hostage for more money, but I also dont blame them for taking the money. The problem is fans trying to buy wins in a sport that has very little exposure. This is one of the best examples of abusing NIL.
Sign of the times sadly. What's a bigger concern is tampering with current players on various rosters. That's happening. Often.

The adults just can't help themselves. It's starting to resemble the early recruiting frenzy and the silliness of taking commitments from 8th graders. Coaches, alums, parents...the trough is flowing and the mouths are wide.

There are very few college athletes across the spectrum of sports that can offer a true ROI on ad spend. NIL was great in concept, but the first hour it was instituted it immediately became play for play in revenue sports. It was a short time before that trickled down to lacrosse.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Per Ty Xanders, close to 100 DI underclassmen in the portal so far.

Doesn’t anybody expect to have to earn their position/playing time/success anymore?
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
coda

Post by coda »

1766 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:17 pm
Sign of the times sadly. What's a bigger concern is tampering with current players on various rosters. That's happening. Often.

The adults just can't help themselves. It's starting to resemble the early recruiting frenzy and the silliness of taking commitments from 8th graders. Coaches, alums, parents...the trough is flowing and the mouths are wide.

There are very few college athletes across the spectrum of sports that can offer a true ROI on ad spend. NIL was great in concept, but the first hour it was instituted it immediately became play for play in revenue sports. It was a short time before that trickled down to lacrosse.
It is essentially the legalization of the bag game, but in football and basketball you can pretend it has legitimate use. Non-revenue sports, you dont have that cover. It just straight out buying players. It is bad for the game. Just another hurdle people have to think about. To be fair it is only a few places really pushing it, but that forces others to play the game.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:05 pm Re: what some of you have said...

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/17 ... 8053098629
According to a source, close to 100 underclassmen at the Division I level have entered the portal since the window opened.
This seems like a lot at first glance, but it averages out to far less than 2 per team, and a lot of them are probably from lower level programs like Canisius. So the number of high-impact players is likely quite slim. Still, probably a bigger number than people assumed. Should be interesting.
Likely also includes Lindenwoods entire team or a decent chunk of it. Still its at almost a 100 and that's with probably almost none from the 8 teams still in the tourney.

Post by 1766 »

coda wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:25 pm
1766 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:17 pm

It is essentially the legalization of the bag game, but in football and basketball you can pretend it has legitimate use. Non-revenue sports, you dont have that cover. It just straight out buying players. It is bad for the game. Just another hurdle people have to think about. To be fair it is only a few places really pushing it, but that forces others to play the game.
That's getting harder and harder for even those in basketball and football to pretend some legit ROI.

This story was released yesterday about a University of Washington basketball player who signed a $2MM "NIL" deal. I'd be shocked if anyone who reads or posts on this forum has even heard of this player before.

https://www.si.com/fannation/name-image ... l-brayden9
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigTurn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:47 am
Formerhound wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:24 am
Laxbuck wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:39 am
pcowlax wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:31 am
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:23 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:38 pm Hearing there are a lot of undergrads in the portal. More than expected.
Can't speak to specific names but hearing something similar, curious how many are recognizable names.
Outside of one more year of Ivys and D3 guys, it should be pretty much all undergrads now. Easy to forget with the nonsense of the Covid years but you don’t just get a “grad year” to play college sports. Unless you redshirted or graduated in 3 years, all transfers should be undergrads going forward.
Redshirting becoming much more commonplace. Taking the place of the Covid year
Yep and just another reason why Ivy’s and Patriot League have issues competing. Can’t redshirt at either unless injured whereas the rest of D1 allows kids to just sit out a year to get stronger and adapt to college life. Huge advantage.
Cuse has been redshirting like a third of each class for as long as I can remember
Yeah but let this Hobart guy put some context behind that:

It takes longer to edumacate when its hands in using colored blocks and books with large font.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Only has to have exposure in the donors circles rather than larger society.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
vburk6

Post by vburk6 »

fatherof2 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:27 pm
cherrylax wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:17 am
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:30 am
vburk6 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:54 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:23 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:38 pm Hearing there are a lot of undergrads in the portal. More than expected.
Can't speak to specific names but hearing something similar, curious how many are recognizable names.
Hearing that a decent amount of Canisius’s team is in the portal from an inside source on the team.
Rough few years for the Griff's, lost their FOGO to Cuse 2 years ago, their best Attackmen to Rutgers last year and now this. Tough to have success in NY with so many D1 programs but they wanna shake things up program wise.
Definitely a tough draw to go to a school that show's little to no support for their student athletes. Honestly think there pretty luck to have the coach that they have considering where guys are transferring too. Unfortunately I think this is the way of the world now with schools like Canisius being a stepping stone for some of these under recruited players to move up. Can't blame them for not want to play in Buffalo in February with no indoor facility....

2023: Colin Kelly (A) -> Rutgers, Kevin Carney (A)-> Albany, Chance Cook (D) -> UMass, Ryan Farron (D) -> St. John's
2022: Johnny Richiusa (FO) ->Syracuse, Ryan Sharkey (D) # -> UMass
Canisius could certainly be a bit more wise with their recruiting budget if they took advantage of it's location to Syracuse, Rochester and Ontario, CA. Instead the roster is made up of players from NC, Wisc, NH, Minn, Wash state, Ind, Mich, CO, Ill and Missouri... Recruiting/Traveling to those locations has to be crazy expensive compared to 10 -15 trips down the thruway. (look at LeMoyne's roster, it has worked for them). Getting more local players on the roster gets more fans/parents supporting the program by showing up to games. It also serves the University as a whole as it's cheap marketing.
This is a touchy subject for Miyashita. I criticized his lack of Syr, Roc and Ont on the roster on twitter a couple of times. He blocked me.
I 100% agree with you. Those Minnesota guys they recruit and middle of the pack Minnesota level players. With that being said they fall into what’s called “the Midwest boomerang” go out east, don’t play, return home.
coda

Post by coda »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:42 pm
Only has to have exposure in the donors circles rather than larger society.
Only the boosters do it. Personal gratification. It's actually become a bit of a problem for other facility projects for Athletic Directors. They are complaining that it is hard to get the to upgrade, when the response is lets just use the money to buy better players.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

NIL is what it is.

Same for the transfer portal.

More choices and options for student athletes are a good thing.

The “market” will sort things out with respect to NIL. There definitely needs to be more regulation of NIL, but I don’t begrudge the student athletes who can command high NIL payouts. Being a Division I athlete, even in “non-revenue” sports, is a demanding role. They deserve the compensation that the market offers them.

For the traditionalists out there … I get your disdain for this new world. But there is no turning back the clock.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Chipzhoo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:52 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:56 am

DIII
RIT: Mike Grace (D) -> Syracuse
Heard Trucksess from Dickinson to Hopkins
Hearing that this actually may be John McKee from Dickinson (not Trucksess), which makes more sense. He is their starting FOGO and a career 61% guy with over 1,400 faceoffs taken. Not official, but will add to the list when it is
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:22 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:21 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:12 pm
norcalhop wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:03 pm

DIII
Interesting, will serve for good FO depth. Hopkins needs elite FO play however.
Good size at 6ft, 1in. FO 55%.

Solid get at a position of need. Hope the report is accurate.

DocBarrister
Wasn't Dickinson's starter. I am guessing this is for depth purposes.
Yep. Depth matters.

DocBarrister
John McKee not trucksees from what I heard. McKee was a senior this year.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Turnandrake wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:15 pm

DIII

DocBarrister
Yep. Depth matters.

DocBarrister
Thanks for the clarification, fellas.

Well, 62% FO win percentage is pretty good!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:01 pm NIL is what it is.

Same for the transfer portal.

More choices and options for student athletes are a good thing.

The “market” will sort things out with respect to NIL. There definitely needs to be more regulation of NIL, but I don’t begrudge the student athletes who can command high NIL payouts. Being a Division I athlete, even in “non-revenue” sports, is a demanding role. They deserve the compensation that the market offers them.

For the traditionalists out there … I get your disdain for this new world. But there is no turning back the clock.

DocBarrister
I am just saying there is a difference between sports that COST the university money and sports that bring in money. When you have an AD asking the Big 10 for more more money to cover travel costs and that same school has one of the biggest NILs in lacrosse, something is wrong. I have 0 issues with kids capitalizing on NIL opportunities.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

At some point colleges offering players NIL $$ are going to want to see some "return" on their "investment". What happens if the kid flames out or gets injured. Do any of us expect the schools involved to not call time out?
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:27 pm
Turnandrake wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:15 pm

DIII

DocBarrister
Yep. Depth matters.

DocBarrister
Thanks for the clarification, fellas.

Well, 62% FO win percentage is pretty good!

DocBarrister
As a centennial guy, Dickinson has always developed face off talent. When I played, they had the best FOGO every year by a mile. Should be a good addition for the Blue Jays.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”