Re: Transfer Portal 2025

Post by oldbartman »

Lacrosse players go into finance/Wall St... nah never gonna happen.. :D
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

vburk6 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:54 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:23 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:38 pm Hearing there are a lot of undergrads in the portal. More than expected.
Can't speak to specific names but hearing something similar, curious how many are recognizable names.
Hearing that a decent amount of Canisius’s team is in the portal from an inside source on the team.
Rough few years for the Griff's, lost their FOGO to Cuse 2 years ago, their best Attackmen to Rutgers last year and now this. Tough to have success in NY with so many D1 programs but they wanna shake things up program wise.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Marquez White picked Med School over an extra year of lacrosse.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

I think it's safe to say that most of the people on this forum would choose the extra year...good for him for going to med school
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:30 am
Laxbuck wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:38 pm Hearing there are a lot of undergrads in the portal. More than expected.
Can't speak to specific names but hearing something similar, curious how many are recognizable names.
Hearing that a decent amount of Canisius’s team is in the portal from an inside source on the team.
Rough few years for the Griff's, lost their FOGO to Cuse 2 years ago, their best Attackmen to Rutgers last year and now this. Tough to have success in NY with so many D1 programs but they wanna shake things up program wise.
Definitely a tough draw to go to a school that show's little to no support for their student athletes. Honestly think there pretty luck to have the coach that they have considering where guys are transferring too. Unfortunately I think this is the way of the world now with schools like Canisius being a stepping stone for some of these under recruited players to move up. Can't blame them for not want to play in Buffalo in February with no indoor facility....

2023: Colin Kelly (A) -> Rutgers, Kevin Carney (A)-> Albany, Chance Cook (D) -> UMass, Ryan Farron (D) -> St. John's
2022: Johnny Richiusa (FO) ->Syracuse, Ryan Sharkey (D) # -> UMass
coda

Post by coda »

I have heard of a very recognizable name threatening to hit the portal, if he doesnt get more NIL. I am not going to say the name, but something I wasnt really expecting to see in lacrosse. PLL makes 50-80K. What should college player get?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Outside of one more year of Ivys and D3 guys, it should be pretty much all undergrads now. Easy to forget with the nonsense of the Covid years but you don’t just get a “grad year” to play college sports. Unless you redshirted or graduated in 3 years, all transfers should be undergrads going forward.
coda

Post by coda »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:08 am
coda wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:57 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:44 am Was talking to a buddy and apparently Michigan already has 5 transfers. 2 Princeton kids and a D3 transfer. Wasn't sure on the other two. I'd expect announcements soon.
They really need some midfield dodging and dodging in general. The attack was way to turnover prone, especially given how much of the ball handling duties they were given. I loved the work Beau did, but overall the transfers didnt really seem to make Michigan much different. Defensive communication issues persisted. Turnovers persisted. The attack was worse, obviously missing Zawaada. When you add a guy like Tiernan (who was great in his role), you better have multiple dodgers around him or things can get stagnant.
Cathal Roberts was arguably the most important pole on the team this year. Just took a second to figure out how to use him. Agreed though, Christian Ronda was very underwhelming. Stanzel didn't get much burn as I anticipated. Tiernan lived up to the expectations and then some- 57 goals is a monster year (11 more goals than he had his last year at Lehigh).

You're 100% right on the dodging woes... They need speed dodgers. They have some bigger guys who can muscle their match-ups. But they don't have any "blow past you" speed. Outside of Cohen, probably.

Also, in my opinion (maybe an unpopular opinion) Cohen > Boehm.
Agree on Cohen > Boehm. Cohen is very talented. He was the one guy that could separate from his defender. His IQ is behind his athletic talent currently (see turnovers). It wont take a massive step for him to be All-Big 10 next year.

Guys like Pederson and Roberts certainly helped, but my point was the overall units did not improve much from 2023. That was disappointing.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

coda wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:25 am
I have heard of a very recognizable name threatening to hit the portal, if he doesnt get more NIL. I am not going to say the name, but something I wasnt really expecting to see in lacrosse. PLL makes 50-80K. What should college player get?
Let him walk
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

cherrylax wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:17 am
Definitely a tough draw to go to a school that show's little to no support for their student athletes. Honestly think there pretty luck to have the coach that they have considering where guys are transferring too. Unfortunately I think this is the way of the world now with schools like Canisius being a stepping stone for some of these under recruited players to move up. Can't blame them for not want to play in Buffalo in February with no indoor facility....

2023: Colin Kelly (A) -> Rutgers, Kevin Carney (A)-> Albany, Chance Cook (D) -> UMass, Ryan Farron (D) -> St. John's
Wasn't aware they didn't have any type of indoor facility, boy that's brutal, Lax in NY in February and March can be unforgiving weather wise. Seems like he is bringing in some talented recruits based on those prior transfers. Not sure if your a Canisius fan or not but I think your right, they seem to be almost a school where under recruited kids can showcase their talents and then transfer to a bigger school. I know Canisius isn't overly flush with cash for the Athletic Dept but it's a little surprising they aren't supporting one of the D1 sports they could actually have some extended success in.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

coda wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:25 am
Yup, I think were gonna be seeing more and more of that as NIL continues to expand out. Obviously NIL in lax is about 3% of what it is in Fball and bball but it's definitely starting to become a factor in lax. Heard UNC has done a good job putting together some NIL offers for players and I know a few other schools (Cuse and Hop) also have NIL groups paying lax guys. I don't know the player your referencing but I 100% believe it, gonna become more prevalent as we move forward.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

pcowlax wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:31 am
Outside of one more year of Ivys and D3 guys, it should be pretty much all undergrads now. Easy to forget with the nonsense of the Covid years but you don’t just get a “grad year” to play college sports. Unless you redshirted or graduated in 3 years, all transfers should be undergrads going forward.
Ya most guys transferring moving forward will be underclassmen. Though between injuries and red-shirts there should be at least a handful of grad guys each year. With the NCAA doing away with the multi-transfer rule as well I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see more double transfers especially for Seniors who maybe chasing a ring who transferred earlier in their careers.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Reece Eddy (D)-> BU -> PLL
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Redshirting becoming much more commonplace. Taking the place of the Covid year
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

who has access to see the names in the portal?
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:39 am
Yep and just another reason why Ivy’s and Patriot League have issues competing. Can’t redshirt at either unless injured whereas the rest of D1 allows kids to just sit out a year to get stronger and adapt to college life. Huge advantage.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:23 am
who has access to see the names in the portal?
Coaches and a few others
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Formerhound wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:24 am
Laxbuck wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:39 am
Yep and just another reason why Ivy’s and Patriot League have issues competing. Can’t redshirt at either unless injured whereas the rest of D1 allows kids to just sit out a year to get stronger and adapt to college life. Huge advantage.
Cuse has been redshirting like a third of each class for as long as I can remember
fatherof2

Post by fatherof2 »

Canisius could certainly be a bit more wise with their recruiting budget if they took advantage of it's location to Syracuse, Rochester and Ontario, CA. Instead the roster is made up of players from NC, Wisc, NH, Minn, Wash state, Ind, Mich, CO, Ill and Missouri... Recruiting/Traveling to those locations has to be crazy expensive compared to 10 -15 trips down the thruway. (look at LeMoyne's roster, it has worked for them). Getting more local players on the roster gets more fans/parents supporting the program by showing up to games. It also serves the University as a whole as it's cheap marketing.
This is a touchy subject for Miyashita. I criticized his lack of Syr, Roc and Ont on the roster on twitter a couple of times. He blocked me.

Post by 1766 »

I'm not sure how sustainable this is but what's currently being offered to some of these players is eye popping for a college lacrosse player. The players are right to take advantage of it when they can.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”