NEW RULE PROPOSALS

D1 Womens Lacrosse
RollTheCrease

Re: NEW RULE PROPOSALS

Post by RollTheCrease »

I’m hopeful over time players will adjust and limit the fouls between the 30s. What I’ve seen in fall games is some teams using the green cards between the 30s to make wholesale line changes while the carded player is issued the card and leaving the field. And refs holding up the game until players are in position. Teams should not be able to sub at all during this time. Send the player off the field and get the game moving again.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

I agree that coaches/players are adjusting quickly to reduce risk for cards between the 30s. The part I don’t get is that the new rules apply to the draw. Sending impact players off the field for a draw battle that doesn’t really impact transition makes no sense to me. So often fighting for the draw results in a foul. It is also one of the toughest for officials to get right. I fear there will be controversial calls on the draw that may determine the outcomes of games. I think they should consider tweaking to begin enforcing the green card rules after draw possession is won. If not, it will be interesting to see which units thrive in a low-contact draw environment.

Through a handful of games, I have yet to see a card for diving.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

GratefulRed wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:23 pm I agree that coaches/players are adjusting quickly to reduce risk for cards between the 30s. The part I don’t get is that the new rules apply to the draw. Sending impact players off the field for a draw battle that doesn’t really impact transition makes no sense to me. So often fighting for the draw results in a foul. It is also one of the toughest for officials to get right. I fear there will be controversial calls on the draw that may determine the outcomes of games. I think they should consider tweaking to begin enforcing the green card rules after draw possession is won. If not, it will be interesting to see which units thrive in a low-contact draw environment.

Have you seen dives?
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:31 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:23 pm I agree that coaches/players are adjusting quickly to reduce risk for cards between the 30s. The part I don’t get is that the new rules apply to the draw. Sending impact players off the field for a draw battle that doesn’t really impact transition makes no sense to me. So often fighting for the draw results in a foul. It is also one of the toughest for officials to get right. I fear there will be controversial calls on the draw that may determine the outcomes of games. I think they should consider tweaking to begin enforcing the green card rules after draw possession is won. If not, it will be interesting to see which units thrive in a low-contact draw environment.

Have you seen dives?
No dives in the 8 games my daughter has played. Refs have been slow to get players off the field and for some reason have let teams bring players on and let them get settled before restarting. I’m guessing this was not expected when they changed these rules, so the refs will need to clean this up.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:31 pm Have you seen dives?
Not blatant from where I was sitting, though a couple borderline that would have been an opportunity to send a message.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

I think you’re gonna have to wait to the Spring for the dives. I would take a thousand green cards and slowing the game down if it stops the sport from becoming like soccer. And last year, wayyyyyy to many dives out there. And high school lax is probably x500
btwn30lax

Post by btwn30lax »

If I was gambler, I would say that coming out of the convention next month (or sooner), you will see some softening of the green card rules so that it isn’t so ticky tacky.

Frankly- it doesn’t matter what the rules are if the refs are educated and knowledgeable about the rules. With the game changing so often, it is hard for the refs to keep up with the little “improvements” that happen.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Still learning the new rules but is there a rule change if you end a period with a player still serving a card?
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

THE IRONY THAT THE DIRTIEST PLAY OF THE YEAR CAME FROM A JEN LEVY-COACHED UNC PLAYER PUTS A RIBBON ON THE DUMBEST RULE CHANGE (GREEN CARD) EVER INTRODUCED.

"what's good for me but not for thee"

THIS HAS TO BE REVIEWED IN THE OFF SEASON. KILLED THE RIDE. RUINED THE FLOW OF THE GAME.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Dasher wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:52 am THE IRONY THAT THE DIRTIEST PLAY OF THE YEAR CAME FROM A JEN LEVY-COACHED UNC PLAYER PUTS A RIBBON ON THE DUMBEST RULE CHANGE (GREEN CARD) EVER INTRODUCED.

THIS HAS TO BE REVIEWED IN THE OFF SEASON. KILLED THE RIDE. RUINED THE FLOW OF THE GAME.
Think of the number of totally unnecessary (in terms of safety) and really uncalled for (historically) man-down situations this year because of this rule. All year I have been thinking about Sam Apuzzo being unable to redefend within the 30s, and how much of her GSD game would have been negated had this rule been in place then.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Dasher wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:52 am THE IRONY THAT THE DIRTIEST PLAY OF THE YEAR CAME FROM A JEN LEVY-COACHED UNC PLAYER PUTS A RIBBON ON THE DUMBEST RULE CHANGE (GREEN CARD) EVER INTRODUCED.

What play was that?
RJP

Post by RJP »

That is just dumb you can certainly redefend in the 30s you just have to have a clean, disciplined ride.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:28 am

What play was that?
Assume this one.... https://www.instagram.com/reel/C61K6zFr ... xnMmdoZDln
totc

Post by totc »

Given the application of discipline in for this certainly red-cardable situation vs. the DiVito red card in the Princeton-Penn game (which was originally a yellow), I think the lords/ladies of field hockey need to take a page from field hockey rules: an intermediate sanction for a professional/breakdown/take foul which is between a two-minute yellow and a red-card ejection. Field hockey has two different yellow penalties, and I think perhaps lacrosse needs one, too.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

totc wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:41 am Given the application of discipline in for this certainly red-cardable situation vs. the DiVito red card in the Princeton-Penn game (which was originally a yellow), I think the lords/ladies of field hockey need to take a page from field hockey rules: an intermediate sanction for a professional/breakdown/take foul which is between a two-minute yellow and a red-card ejection. Field hockey has two different yellow penalties, and I think perhaps lacrosse needs one, too.
The fact that the girls game punished all yellows the same regardless of the infraction has always been silly. The boys game gets their penalties right.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”