Is Lacrosse an "Aristocrat Sport?"

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: Is Lacrosse an "Aristocrat Sport?"

Post by 44WeWantMore »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:49 pm
mdk01 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:06 pm
coda wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:12 pm I would total agree with middle class sport, but that is a very wide classification. My issue is with the term aristocratic. It is a is mischaracterization and was only used to inflame.
Agreed.

Summers is an old fa-t and undoubtedly has an impression of only hyper wealthy prep schools playing the sport, which would have been true in the Philadelphia Mainline and surrounding Philly region of his early '70's school days attending wealthy public Harriton High, son of two economics professors at Penn. And that's who likely were on MIT's team when he was there.

Harriton plays lax now, at a base cost of $200, plus a big $ for a spring trip to Florida...but I doubt they played lax in his day. Maybe they did...but he didn't... Same league as Conestoga...

Hilarious you should say that. The cover of the 1975 Lacrosse Guide featured George Braun, from Lower Merion who went to MIT. Harriton did have a team.
Great detail; I hadn't known that they did back in that era...Mainline of Philly. Thanks for the correction; I wasn't able to find that using google.

Lower Merion is quite nice...

I was intrigued by the reference to George Braun and I seem to recall that guide, that would have been my junior year in HS.

Googled George, and found a reference to him at MIT...in Sport Illustrated article. https://vault.si.com/vault/1975/05/26/b ... brains-out

comically written.

He won MIT's top athlete award that year too.
Thanks for the link. Do I love DIII sports!
"I found that athletes at MIT actually become the better students. They make better grades. They organize their time better. They have to. Most of them get their best grades during the season of their sport. Sounds crazy, right?
Except for Blue Jay lacrosse.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:44 pm upstate, while still fertile, had fallen back well before just recently. there are still a sh*t-ton of guys in central that stayed back. it can be a lot of things, including a changing and wider landscape, but having youth coaches and on up isn't one of them.

in the numbers game, yes. not enough athletes around vs. what's now the competition.
Is lacrosse as important to current CNY youth as it was to Hardy, Nims and Abbott when they were growing up? Doubtful. Is lacrosse as important to current CNY youth as it was to Billy Ward, Kevin Rice, Tim Barber, Josh Amidon and Joel White? That's probably a better question.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:52 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:17 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:06 pm
coda wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:12 pm I would total agree with middle class sport, but that is a very wide classification. My issue is with the term aristocratic. It is a is mischaracterization and was only used to inflame.
Agreed.

Summers is an old fa-t and undoubtedly has an impression of only hyper wealthy prep schools playing the sport, which would have been true in the Philadelphia Mainline and surrounding Philly region of his early '70's school days attending wealthy public Harriton High, son of two economics professors at Penn. And that's who likely were on MIT's team when he was there.

Harriton plays lax now, at a base cost of $200, plus a big $ for a spring trip to Florida...but I doubt they played lax in his day. Maybe they did...but he didn't... Same league as Conestoga...

But that was never true in the main hotbed areas of Baltimore, LI, and Upstate...but true elsewhere. In the hotbeds, lacrosse was played at the then more 'white' ethnic public schools, e.g. in Baltimore and Anne Arundel counties. "white flight" changed the demographics and the funding support for many of the urban schools. A lot of those same sorts of families that had played lax moved into the Catholic schools, and a smattering into the other privates...and into the publics in the counties...which played excellent lacrosse. Basketball and football became the exit path for top black athletes in the urban schools Baltimore area. A few other sports were offered, but lax took an increasingly back seat...there have been ongoing efforts to change this, but uphill climb.

It's fair to say that over the decades the sport was predominantly lower middle to upper middle class, leaning upper sure, but it was never the exclusive domain of the "aristocrat rich"...sure, the top 1% ers had easy access as well, but most of the lax played was in those dense hotbeds. And yes, in all sorts of towns in Canada, Six Nations, etc...that latter group just didn't make up much of what Larry Summers would have seen in the pipeline in his era as President of Harvard.

It's also fair to say that as the sport has grown geographically in the US, it's done so first at wealthy private, then wealthy public schools in each region, then increasingly found in some less well of publics...but not in those which struggle to provide other amenities and opportunities.

AND it's fair to say that our sport has been stubbornly mostly white, though more and more stellar exceptions have been emerging...that said, there were always some exceptions, whether guys like Jim Brown or the great Morgan State teams. But still only 3% at the D1 level.

And that's probably the biggest challenge in a situation where trying to reduce the ways white kids get advantaged over others is a bigger priority, at least at the most selective schools.

Especially well off white kids...
Ahem

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... oul-patrol
Indeed, exceptions. Those were some great Hobart teams!
Funny thing is Hobart was for that period and well beyond a popped collar, fallback school for prep school kids largely. And still pretty white but Coach U found athletes where and how they came back then.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:07 pm $100K in West Genny will feel a whole lot smaller if you take that and move to LI.

So, comparisons are hard.
What % of folks in Syracuse area are making individually north of $100K? I know it was incredibly low 15-20yrs ago. And housing got relatively stupid in upstate NY as well.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:53 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:07 pm $100K in West Genny will feel a whole lot smaller if you take that and move to LI.

What % of folks in Syracuse area are making individually north of $100K? I know it was incredibly low 15-20yrs ago. And housing got relatively stupid in upstate NY as well.
I have seen a lot of players from Skaneateles….is that a working class town? I don’t know upstate that well but given how often I see the name associated with lacrosse, my guess is that it is a nice town.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:23 pm

I have seen a lot of players from Skaneateles….is that a working class town? I don’t know upstate that well but given how often I see the name associated with lacrosse, my guess is that it is a nice town.
That’s one of the nicer areas. Nice Lake as well. Was last on it 3yrs ago.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:51 pm

Turns out a lot of lacrosse players….. Bronxville may turn out more Lacrosse players per capita than any community in the country….the only resemblance to the Bronx is the name…..maybe lacrosse is a middle class sport but a disproportionate number of players that make it to a college roster are from affluent communities. I am not complaining. Just pointing out a fact…..Not that all of the players that do well are from wealthy families.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:02 pm

Turns out a lot of lacrosse players….. Bronxville may turn out more Lacrosse players per capita than any community in the country….the only resemblance to the Bronx is the name…..maybe lacrosse is a middle class sport but a disproportionate number of players that make it to a college roster are from affluent communities. I am not complaining. Just pointing out a fact…..Not that all of the players that do well are from wealthy families.
I’m in general agreement today, not sure that was the case in the 80s/90s w respect to large swaths of NYS, I grew up around the decline it’s pretty evident.

And I always thought KRS One and Scott LaRock were from Bronxville! Hunts Point is in Bronxville right? ;)
See Martin, Malcolm
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

This post might be a bit pedantic, but I went back and re-read the OPED in the Washington Post. My impression is that Summers is, basically, calling the Ivy League approach to sport an Aristocratic Sport approach. For example, one could reasonably interpret his meaning as being that Ivy Football is an Aristocrat Sport, since it's played in a bit of a bubble for a limited fandom, and is not really competitive nationally. As President of Harvard, he probably made many more concessions to the Harvard Football Program than he might have made for lacrosse.

By this broader definition, I guess in the Ivy context that lacrosse would fall within his definition. Summers has an interesting background, being one of the youngest modern day tenured professors ever at Harvard, and having resigned as its President under a vote of no confidence by Harvard's faculty.

Personally, I see the growth of the game nationally and internationally as bringing things back to some of the more broad based participation across the socioeconomic spectrum that was more common in the 1970's and 1980's (and as some have argued here the 1990's).
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

I'm surprised it hasn't come up in this thread yet (I apologize if it has), but the growth of the importance of summer leagues and travel teams also reduces the opportunities for kids who aren't at least from upper middle income families.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:44 pm

I'm surprised it hasn't come up in this thread yet (I apologize if it has), but the growth of the importance of summer leagues and travel teams also reduces the opportunities for kids who aren't at least from upper middle income families.
Quite right - the only "aristocrats" and kingmakers" are club teams and their coaches/management. Just like on the girls side (where the system was originally imported from years earlier)
molo

Post by molo »

Grow the sport by supporting public school programs. Render it a niche sport by increasingly emphasizing clubs and summer league pay to play programs.
richlax5

Post by richlax5 »

I want to make a distinction about the idea that lacrosse is perceived as an "aristocrat sport." Many people are talking about high school participation which has expanded in NY, and throughout the country, over time and more specifically the last two decades but the problem lies in the fact that so to has access to Summer travel lacrosse and here in lies the issue. Not every lacrosse player out there has access nor the funds to cover participation fees, added equipment and travel, and while true for all sports, lacrosse already has a reputation of being an upper middle class and above sport adding this to the mix makes it appear an "aristocratic" sport. And while efforts have been made to expand the growth to all areas, i.e. Nations United and Harlem Lacrosse amongst other US Lacrosse initiatives, lacrosse will be perceived as an "aristocratic" sport despite its origins until the greater public sees these efforts pay out .
Typical Lax Dad

This may be why a possible disproportionate number populates college rosters. There are public schools in our league that attract working/middle class kids. Very few of them go on to play in college where as the more tony public high schools have a continuous pipeline…..it is not simply because those towns have “better athletes”…..
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

It's indeed been mentioned, though I agree that it's importance as a factor should be emphasized.

In the "old days", playing for your high school rarely meant coming out of pocket, and playing for your town rec program was cheap, unpaid, volunteer coaches. And that extended into high school, in my area, the old Hero's league...cheap, basically the cost of the tee shirt, maybe a couple dollars more...affordable from your own summer job. Couple of evenings a week of play. Equipment was really the only significant factor.

And there was almost no travel. Of course, that was in hot bed areas...no need for a lot of travel.

But as the sport grew, some folks realized there were dollars to be made by upping the ante...gotta make that all-star team, gotta get on the better club team, gotta travel, gotta get extra training, gotta play fall and winter some too...everybody making a buck.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BTW I'm counting on at least one dope lacrosse player who just graduated from Briarcliff, down the street from Bronxville, to be legit...https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/high ... 279439007/
See Martin, Malcolm
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:16 pm

This may be why a possible disproportionate number populates college rosters. There are public schools in our league that attract working/middle class kids. Very few of them go on to play in college where as the more tony public high schools have a continuous pipeline…..it is not simply because those towns have “better athletes”…..
Do they play another sport in college? More and more when I'm watching NCAA D1 football I hear John Doe was an excellent HS lacrosse player. To a lesser extent hockey and hoops.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:27 pm

It's indeed been mentioned, though I agree that it's importance as a factor should be emphasized.

In the "old days", playing for your high school rarely meant coming out of pocket, and playing for your town rec program was cheap, unpaid, volunteer coaches. And that extended into high school, in my area, the old Hero's league...cheap, basically the cost of the tee shirt, maybe a couple dollars more...affordable from your own summer job. Couple of evenings a week of play. Equipment was really the only significant factor.

And there was almost no travel. Of course, that was in hot bed areas...no need for a lot of travel.

But as the sport grew, some otherwise unemployable former players realized there were dollars to be made by upping the ante...gotta make that all-star team, gotta get on the better club team, gotta travel, gotta get extra training, gotta play fall and winter some too...everybody making a buck.
Fixed your note for you
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

mdk01 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:16 pm

Do they play another sport in college? More and more when I'm watching NCAA D1 football I hear John Doe was an excellent HS lacrosse player. To a lesser extent hockey and hoops.
That’s probably it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”