Good News

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Good News

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Is that a waste management commercial?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:37 am Is that a waste management commercial?
nope...a bunch of them out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3z-nJX2oDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VDF-P7FmZQ
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maybe I’m just cynical but it sure seems like guerrilla marketing to me
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

WORLD’S MOST PREMATURE BABY DEFIES SUB-1% SURVIVAL ODDS AND STUNS DOCTORS

https://tanksgoodnews.com/worlds-most-p ... s-doctors/

Curtis Zy-Keith Means was delivered at 21 weeks, 1 day at around 1 p.m. on July 5 — exactly one month after the previous world’s most premature baby.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crim ... 96882.html

Woman pulled from car on the brink of the American Falls at Niagara. Coast Guard helo (from Detroit) lowered a diver with an axe to extract the woman from the car 50 yards from the brink of American Falls at Niagara to a waiting ambulance on shore. Sadly, she was DOA after being moved to the shore adjacent to the river .
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:57 pm More good news.....https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/rel ... np1taskbar
Yikes...someone needs to go back to school and learn about correlation and causation. :roll:

I get it why this interest group is peddling this as causation, but whoever wrote the article should know better.

And that's assuming the data can be trusted at all, given IFS' past fraudulent analyses...but let's just assume that the data is not inaccurate or unfairly manipulated...I just read the study and it does not remotely demonstrate causation, which is what is claimed. So, that's a false claim.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:28 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:57 pm More good news.....https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/rel ... np1taskbar
Yikes...someone needs to go back to school and learn about correlation and causation. :roll:

I get it why this interest group is peddling this as causation, but whoever wrote the article should know better.

And that's assuming the data can be trusted at all, given IFS' past fraudulent analyses...but let's just assume that the data is not inaccurate or unfairly manipulated...I just read the study and it does not remotely demonstrate causation, which is what is claimed. So, that's a false claim.
... I got a good laugh.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

On this night, 245 years ago, George Washington and his ragtag Continental Army crossed the Delaware River, surprised and defeated the British/Hessian garrison at Trenton NJ capturing the town and the vast majority of the Hessian troops at the cost of only a few casualties.

As a result, Washington demonstrated to Continental Congress and, more importantly, to his own troops that they were capable of defeating British regulars on the battlefield with a solid plan and execution. Future POTUS Lt. James Monroe (standing next to the general holding the flag) was wounded and saved from bleeding to death by quick action of the army’s Surgeon General Dr. John Riker.

Washington Crossing the Delaware (1851), by Emanuel Leutze

Original now displayed proudly at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. One of three originals - the other (which used to be at the White House) now is displayed at Minnesota Marine Art Museum in Winona MN

Ironically, the first original was part of the collection at the Kunsthalle in Bremen, Germany, and was destroyed in September 1942 in a bombing raid, during World War II by both British Royal Air Force (RAF) and US Eighth Air Force.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

A rehash from last year. I am/was a certified sommelier with a degree in the culinary arts, so if you have a question I’m here to help.
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:13 pm How about a few tips on finding good Champagne and sparkling wine.

The popular names in Champagne are referred to as Grande Marque (grand label) and include the likes of Moët, Mumm, Clicquot, Bollinger, Taittinger, Perrier-Jouet, Pol Roger and others. These labels look for a standardized taste through blending. They may grow some of their grapes but most come from contracts with other growers. They are backed by an army of marketing people and their wholesalers. Production is generally in the 500,000 to 1mil case range.

However, the real jewels and excitement is in the grower-producers. These are small farmers growing their own grapes and making their own wines almost always from superior vineyards rated Premier Cru (1er) or the highest Grand Cru. Production is likely to be in the 2,000 to 10,000 case range. These are special and distinctive wines that have a greater expression of the terrior.

Aside from knowing who the producers are, there is a small mark on the front label, RM (Récoltant-Manipulant) designating that it is a grower-producer Champagne. Unlike the big labels, these RM wines will have a disgorgement date. That’s the time when they jettison the spent yeast and refresh it with a wine/sugar solution to produce the bubbles from 2nd fermentation. It’s generally best to have the disgorgement date within two years of consuming. It’s not unheard of for less reputable retailers to have wines well beyond this date, so you need to look. Another hint on finding a sure winner is to look on the back for a RM Champagne imported by Terry Thiese. He was one of the first to import these gems about 22 years ago and has a great portfolio .

Look for names like Aubry, Pierre Peters, A Margaine, Geoffroy, H Billiot, Chartogne-Taillet, Gaston-Chiquet, Vilmart, Larmandier-Bernier, Pierre Gimonnet, etc.

Champagne comes from the Champagne region of France. Anything else is sparkling wine. Champagne is a proprietary blend that can be made from Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and/or Pinot Meunier.

https://7f259aa4-bcaf-4d14-86ff-e213dfb ... index=true

So put the Veuve Clicquot down. It’s vastly overrated and try something good.
Champagne can be pricey and not for everyone. Fortunately there are plenty of good sparkling wines. In France sparklers referred as Cremant are quite good and affordable. Look for Cremant from Loire, Bourgogne, Limoux, Alsace.

Sparkling wine in Spain is called Cava. Generally made in Catalonia from local grapes Macabeo, Parellada, Xarel.lo. Crisp and lively in style.

In Italy Prosecco is the go-to. It’s lower in pressure than others so it’s more elegant in style.

Some of the big Champagne houses have labels in California. They all have a pretty good track record for quality though the prices have gone up on most of these.

One of the best ways to find a winner is to look on the back label for the importer. Names like David Bowler, Doug Polaner and Michael Skurnik, VOS for example are top choices.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:08 pm A rehash from last year. I am/was a certified sommelier with a degree in the culinary arts, so if you have a question I’m here to help.
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:13 pm How about a few tips on finding good Champagne and sparkling wine.

The popular names in Champagne are referred to as Grande Marque (grand label) and include the likes of Moët, Mumm, Clicquot, Bollinger, Taittinger, Perrier-Jouet, Pol Roger and others. These labels look for a standardized taste through blending. They may grow some of their grapes but most come from contracts with other growers. They are backed by an army of marketing people and their wholesalers. Production is generally in the 500,000 to 1mil case range.

However, the real jewels and excitement is in the grower-producers. These are small farmers growing their own grapes and making their own wines almost always from superior vineyards rated Premier Cru (1er) or the highest Grand Cru. Production is likely to be in the 2,000 to 10,000 case range. These are special and distinctive wines that have a greater expression of the terrior.

Aside from knowing who the producers are, there is a small mark on the front label, RM (Récoltant-Manipulant) designating that it is a grower-producer Champagne. Unlike the big labels, these RM wines will have a disgorgement date. That’s the time when they jettison the spent yeast and refresh it with a wine/sugar solution to produce the bubbles from 2nd fermentation. It’s generally best to have the disgorgement date within two years of consuming. It’s not unheard of for less reputable retailers to have wines well beyond this date, so you need to look. Another hint on finding a sure winner is to look on the back for a RM Champagne imported by Terry Thiese. He was one of the first to import these gems about 22 years ago and has a great portfolio .

Look for names like Aubry, Pierre Peters, A Margaine, Geoffroy, H Billiot, Chartogne-Taillet, Gaston-Chiquet, Vilmart, Larmandier-Bernier, Pierre Gimonnet, etc.

Champagne comes from the Champagne region of France. Anything else is sparkling wine. Champagne is a proprietary blend that can be made from Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and/or Pinot Meunier.

Champagne can be pricey and not for everyone. Fortunately there are plenty of good sparkling wines. In France sparklers referred as Cremant are quite good and affordable. Look for Cremant from Loire, Bourgogne, Limoux, Alsace.

Sparkling wine in Spain is called Cava. Generally made in Catalonia from local grapes Macabeo, Parellada, Xarel.lo. Crisp and lively in style.

In Italy Prosecco is the go-to. It’s lower in pressure than others so it’s more elegant in style.

Some of the big Champagne houses have labels in California. They all have a pretty good track record for quality though the prices have gone up on most of these.

One of the best ways to find a winner is to look on the back label for the importer. Names like David Bowler, Doug Polaner and Michael Skurnik, VOS for example are top choices.
Thanks AS. I’ve cut and pasted this where it won’t get lost.

HNY.
a fan

Post by a fan »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:08 pm A rehash from last year. I am/was a certified sommelier with a degree in the culinary arts, so if you have a question I’m here to help.
1. what's your favorite Bordeaux, and why?

2. what's your favorite style of wine where the yeast drives the bus, instead of the flavor from the grapes themselves?

Thanks!
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Thanks for the information. Most I’ve learned on this site.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

What do you mean by "was a certified sommelier" did you lose your sense of smell and taste? I admit i laughed my arse off reading your post and the responses. Is sommelier French for wine snob? I'm no wine snob, thank god and would never listen to advice from any person claiming to be a "sommelier/wine snob. i know when i have spaghetti and meatballs I like a glass of Chianti. My wife likes Chardonnay. Simple advice from a simple guy... if you buy a 10 dollar bottle of wine and you like it, nothing wrong with that. i wonder just for the sake of amusement if my friend Dmac is a weed sommelier? Do you avoid that mexican ditch weed and gravitate towards the Panama Red. I know the Panama Red has a much more fragrant bouquet. You do need to avoid the 2018 vintage as it may have been tinged with pesticides. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Thanks for this information AS; much appreciated. Happy New Year!
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Good information for sure.

I have a friend who was/is a wine steward in restaurants in DC, San Francisco and now NYC. Took the tests etc. to become a sommelier several times, but never made it to the very highest level. I was surprised to learn about how rigorous the whole process is.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Andersen wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:53 am Good information for sure.

I have a friend who was/is a wine steward in restaurants in DC, San Francisco and now NYC. Took the tests etc. to become a sommelier several times, but never made it to the very highest level. I was surprised to learn about how rigorous the whole process is.
I got my sommelier certificate by taking the initial test offered by the Court of Master Sommeliers after a two day seminar in Napa. Probably the first time I ever finished a test first in my life and aced it as well. There are two more test levels to become a Master Sommelier but I never took them because I wasn’t interested. The learning comes from reading and countless tastings at trade events. Most people that become Master Sommeliers end up leaving restaurants to work for a corporate beverage firm. That wasn’t my interest.

Return to “POLITICS”