Good News

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
CU88

Good News

Post by CU88 »

We used to have a similar thread on Ye Olde Phorum, and I am not looking to start a "fight" on ranking POTUS, just a simple notice on a great American.

Arguably the greatest living American - Jimmy Carter - turns 95 today. Naval officer, farmer, governor, Nobel Peace prize-winning humanitarian, Sunday school teacher, home builder and, from 1977-81, the 39th president.

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Re: Good News

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

My son was born today 26 years ago, didn't realize he shared a B-Day with Jimmy Carter.

I probably wouldn't go as far as you just did in your praise of Carter, but certainly a man of honor and certainly the most dedicated to good of our ex-Presidents.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Indeed - Carter is "exhibit A" for a man too good for the office. Drives home the point that the office tends to self-select for A-holes, and if a good guy manages to break in, he is going to struggle to be effective.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
CU88

Post by CU88 »

This is real leadership.

Former President Carter, the oldest living former president in US history, helps lead a build of Habitat for Humanity homes in Nashville one day after falling at his home and receiving stitches above his eye.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fo ... e-n1063081

all of the r's and their "bone spurs"...
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

This is my kinda thread! I don't think my post is exactly related to politics (though you could always make it so since Gov. Nelson Rockefeller created the agency that manages the park!) but if anyone here has not visited the Adirondacks and hiked any of its 46'ers (46 peaks over 4,000'), don't waste any more time; get there! The ADKS are just an incredible expanse of hills and mountains, almost untouched by the human hand. There is a ton of private property inside the Park, which you can buy and build on, just not too much. September and October are ideal months to visit.

The hikes are a great way to stay fit. The views are amazing. And no cell service except at the very top. Local restaurants are fantastic. Lake Placid is rapidly becoming a much sought-after town by people looking for a healthier alternative. And of course, a great lacrosse event is held annually there.

Anyway, this is the top of Giant Mountain.

Giant.jpg
Giant.jpg (26.22 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:46 pm This is my kinda thread! I don't think my post is exactly related to politics (though you could always make it so since Gov. Nelson Rockefeller created the agency that manages the park!) but if anyone here has not visited the Adirondacks and hiked any of its 46'ers (46 peaks over 4,000'), don't waste any more time; get there! The ADKS are just an incredible expanse of hills and mountains, almost untouched by the human hand. There is a ton of private property inside the Park, which you can buy and build on, just not too much. September and October are ideal months to visit.

The hikes are a great way to stay fit. The views are amazing. And no cell service except at the very top. Local restaurants are fantastic. Lake Placid is rapidly becoming a much sought-after town by people looking for a healthier alternative. And of course, a great lacrosse event is held annually there.

Giant.jpg
Love the ADK. I am more of a western edge kind of guy, Old Forge.

Placid is perfect 365 days a year. My favorite brush with someone famous was sitting at Mirror Lake have hot chocolate with my daughters, when Jim Cantore sat next to us and spent an hour telling us how much he loved ADK and Lake Placid.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU88 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:46 pm This is my kinda thread! I don't think my post is exactly related to politics (though you could always make it so since Gov. Nelson Rockefeller created the agency that manages the park!) but if anyone here has not visited the Adirondacks and hiked any of its 46'ers (46 peaks over 4,000'), don't waste any more time; get there! The ADKS are just an incredible expanse of hills and mountains, almost untouched by the human hand. There is a ton of private property inside the Park, which you can buy and build on, just not too much. September and October are ideal months to visit.

Giant.jpg
Love the ADK. I am more of a western edge kind of guy, Old Forge.

Placid is perfect 365 days a year. My favorite brush with someone famous was sitting at Mirror Lake have hot chocolate with my daughters, when Jim Cantore sat next to us and spent an hour telling us how much he loved ADK and Lake Placid.

That;'s actually really cool!

I had a brush with the famous, and it is apropos of this thread. I was hiking up to a mountain called Cascade, and on the same trail was none other than the Senator himself, Chuck Schumer. His family was with him. We all stopped at a fishing hole. The guy could not have been more pleasant; he was disengaged from politics at that moment. We talked about how incredible this place was, how healthy it was for our families to hike, have goals, reach them, etc.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU88 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:06 pm This is real leadership.

Former President Carter, the oldest living former president in US history, helps lead a build of Habitat for Humanity homes in Nashville one day after falling at his home and receiving stitches above his eye.

Saw him on TV this AM - massive shiner. Looked like it was going to grow into a whole body shiner. :lol: The guy is amazing.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Giant.jpg
Big fan of the national park system.

Are you in favor of expanding, reducing or leaving the amount of space set aside as it is?
CU88

Post by CU88 »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:24 pm
CU88 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:06 pm This is real leadership.

Saw him on TV this AM - massive shiner. Looked like it was going to grow into a whole body shiner. :lol: The guy is amazing.
You should see Chuck Norris.

:D
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:02 pm

Giant.jpg
Big fan of the national park system.

Are you in favor of expanding, reducing or leaving the amount of space set aside as it is?

My politics, such as they are, are bewildering to many. I am a MASSIVE fan of open space conservation. I mean, you might not find anyone near my levels of passion for open space, everywhere (in cities, suburbs, and rural). In some regard, this can be seen as elitist, because when you reduce the supply of developable land, you make the cost of living higher for everyone. So bear that in mind.

The ADKS are actually a state park, not federal and I tend to veer on the side of state run parks, not national. That said, clearly we have treasures in the US that need protection.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Let's hear it for Ellen.

(what is the deal with the woke left to shred everyone in their way, including like-minded liberals like Ellen, whom they are now attacking en masse online for having the audacity to watch a football game with an ex-POTUS? I mean, I don't think much of his abilities as a POTUS, but that would surely not preclude me from having a beer with the guy!)

Excellent video and well worth watching for young kids across America!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSZtjol7mJA
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:00 am Let's hear it for Ellen.

(what is the deal with the woke left to shred everyone in their way, including like-minded liberals like Ellen, whom they are now attacking en masse online for having the audacity to watch a football game with an ex-POTUS? I mean, I don't think much of his abilities as a POTUS, but that would surely not preclude me from having a beer with the guy!)

Indeed.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:00 am Let's hear it for Ellen.

Thanks for sharing.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

nice video. great message. unity & tolerance, empathy & understanding. selflessness & grace.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Two NYC besties running toward each other on a city street; see them on a lacrosse team soon! (who said New Yawkers aren't cuddly and nice!)

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dad-posts-vid ... d=65491191
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

It's sort of sad that the "Good News" thread here is also the least trafficked. :lol:

Anyway, I will post the following to the thunderdome of the Global Warming thread (or whatever it is called). But so many great things inside this article about a waste plant being used as a clean energy plant, and also being converted into a ski hill! Go, Denmark!!

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/power-p ... ski-slope/
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

The ski run is kinda gimmicky, but a nice touch none-the-less

This type of innovation is why I believe these issues are a feature of our time, but human ingenuity is going to solve the problem eventually.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HooDat wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 am The ski run is kinda gimmicky, but a nice touch none-the-less

This type of innovation is why I believe these issues are a feature of our time, but human ingenuity is going to solve the problem eventually.

And yet nothing is ultimately gimmicky, is it?

A favorite monologue of mine from a movie, The Devil Wears Prada, by the incredible Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestley:

Miranda Priestly: "This...Stuff"? Oh. Okay. I see. You think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select, I don't know that lumpy blue sweater, for instance because you are trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, its not turquoise. It's not lapis. Its actually cerulean. And you're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then i think it was Yves Saint Laurent - wasn't it who showed cerulean military jackets?And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. And then it, uh, filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and its sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact you're wearing a sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room from a pile of stuff.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Return to “POLITICS”