Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by jhu72 »

No racism in college sports. Must have been some friends of Petey who don't see skin color.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:32 am No racism in college sports. Must have been some friends of Petey who don't see skin color.
Remind me again why college athletics are such a cultural mainstay in ‘Murica?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Moved the most recent posts to NBA thread. Nobody did anything wrong. Just thought the NCAA/NBA discussion was a better fit for that thread.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

admin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:53 am Moved the most recent posts to NBA thread. Nobody did anything wrong. Just thought the NCAA/NBA discussion was a better fit for that thread.
Makes sense...unfortunately, I think there's also a bit of a connection to some posters' views of the NBA that are related to this thread as well.

But it sure shouldn't be.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

admin wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:36 pm
admin wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:17 am Unsportsmanlike Conduct
SECTION 4. No post-er shall:
d. Troll and/or commit other Russian 'bot and/or other Putinesque behaviors. A troll is someone who uses over-the-top opinions or unverified claims to incite others, stir up controversy, and change a civilized discussion into a battleground.
Tweet!
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:12 pmRacism is real, it’s just not omnipresent like you want.
You're not saying there is no racism. You're just saying it's grossly exaggerated, fanned with the fans of "liberal race baiters". Which, to you, may sound like free speech, just your opinion. But to many other people, your words are just blatantly bigoted.
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:12 pmFootball ⚽️ players making $20,000,000 are oppressed.
You've said this before, citing Oprah, Lebron, and others. You post that because there are black soccer players making big money, racial oppression isn't real. And again, like above, to you, all of this may sound like free speech, just your opinion. But, setting aside how nonsensical your logic is, to many others, your words are just blatantly bigoted.

According to FanLax, a troll is "someone who uses over-the-top opinions or unverified claims to incite others, stir up controversy, and change a civilized discussion into a battleground". I feel comfortable saying that you have fulfilled the necessary criteria to be flagged as a troll.

Unsportsman-like conduct. Your last penalty was a 4 Minute (8 day) Penalty. This one is an 8 minute (16 day) penalty. Penalty will be up on Thursday, July 15th at 6:33 PM EST. If/when you return, if you post these perspectives again, you will immediately be put in the Penalty Box, no warning.

Tweet! Play on.
It's like the national holiday came five days early!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:15 pm
admin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:53 am Moved the most recent posts to NBA thread. Nobody did anything wrong. Just thought the NCAA/NBA discussion was a better fit for that thread.
Makes sense...unfortunately, I think there's also a bit of a connection to some posters' views of the NBA that are related to this thread as well.

But it sure shouldn't be.
I think your hinting at something that is not true. At least for this guy. I love offense and defense. I expect nothing less from any player who is a professional athlete.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Glad to hear.

It's definitely been part of the dynamic cited by many, many 'fans' of the NBA, pining for a time when there were more 'white' players 'hustling' on defense versus the 'prima donna' black players...old theme.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:44 pm Glad to hear.

It's definitely been part of the dynamic cited by many, many 'fans' of the NBA, pining for a time when there were more 'white' players 'hustling' on defense versus the 'prima donna' black players...old theme.
Naturally talented.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:54 pm

Naturally talented.
:D
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I have all the respect for those " prima donna" black players. Their talent is off the charts. Hoops is about being able to slam dunk and then be able to hustle down and play defense. It is awesome to be a dynamic offensive talent. There ain't a lot of glory down there playing in the weeds and getting in people's faces. I do remember Bill Laimbeer a white guy who played defense like a professional boxer. I think he earned the reputation as the dirtiest player in basketball.
How many great saves did you make MD and what does everybody remember?? The shot that got by you. :D
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:40 pm

I have all the respect for those " prima donna" black players. Their talent is off the charts. Hoops is about being able to slam dunk and then be able to hustle down and play defense. It is awesome to be a dynamic offensive talent. There ain't a lot of glory down there playing in the weeds and getting in people's faces. I do remember Bill Laimbeer a white guy who played defense like a professional boxer. I think he earned the reputation as the dirtiest player in basketball.
How many great saves did you make MD and what does everybody remember?? The shot that got by you. :D
Goalies need to 'forget' those that went in...next shot, please...

Actually, mostly 'they' in 'everybody' (who cared) remember the 22 saves vs Cornell, giving up 11, in a 12-11 upset, to be the first Ivy team to beat them over a 5 year stretch...including the final save from 10 yds with 8 seconds left...and some remember 35 saves against Navy...but I do remember some of those which went in, a behind the back shot at Princeton that dribbled through, some corner stingers versus UMD in a bloodbath, and a whole series of shots my senior year vs Middlebury in the snow when I couldn't seem to make a save to save my life...

"They' remember my son's save at the buzzer to create OT against Boy's Latin in the MIAA semifinal in a 7-6 victory, having come in with 1:27 left to play and down 6-3..."they" remember his save with 6 seconds left against UMass's Nick Mariano in a come from behind 1 goal victory in the snow, "they" remember his save against Cornell's Connor Buszek with 8 seconds left to win by one in an upset over Cornell, "they" remember his 23 saves against Albany including 7 of Lyle Thompson's shots, "they" remember his 8 saves no GA's against Brown's Dylan Molloy in his Tewey season...I dunno what goals "they" remember him giving up... (though Lyle did score 9 goals with 3 assists that night in the rain... absolutely dominating player)

so, I'm with you on caring about defense... ;)

Time to move this stuff back to the sports threads...
old salt

senseless violence in our streets

Post by old salt »

Yet another innocent victim, caught in a crossfire.
This one hits close to home.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/cri ... story.html
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan adds an additional $10,000 to reward for information in shooting of Naval Academy mom
The reward for information regarding the shooting of a Naval Academy mother is now $32,000 after Gov. Larry Hogan authorized an additional $10,000.

Michelle Cummings, 57, of Houston, was relaxing early Tuesday morning with friends on the elevated patio outside of the Graduate Hotel on West Street when she was fatally shot. She was in Annapolis to bring her son to the Naval Academy for Induction Day. Police say she was not the intended target.

Yesterday, during a news conference on Pleasant Street, the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives offered $20,000 for information that leads to the arrest of those responsible for Cummings’ death. The Metro Crimestoppers are also offering $2,000.

Hogan said in a statement he spoke with the Cummings family and expressed condolences. The Maryland State Police have offered full resources and are able to support the FBI, ATF and other involved law enforcement agencies.

The investigation into Cummings’s death is still active. Police interviewed two people who were sitting in a parked car on Pleasant Street when Cummings was killed. The two, who were unharmed, are believed to be the intended targets. Police have recovered video footage and begun to interview witnesses, Annapolis Police Chief Ed Jackson said at the Wednesday news conference.

Cummings’ son, Leonard Cummings III, is a plebe at the Naval Academy and a football prospect. He went through Induction Day on Wednesday.
Cummings was described as a mother who was “all in” when it came to her son’s education at the academy. Before I-Day, she traveled to meet with another Naval Academy mother who gave her a pin that said “Motherhood of the Brotherhood,” a reference to the football team.

Leonard “Trey” Cummings attended the Naval Academy Preparatory School before coming to the academy, and the Cummings met other families whose children attended with the midshipman. That included Annapolis resident Veranna Phillips, who set up a GoFundMe to help pay for funeral costs. Cummings will be buried in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

In two days, the GoFundMe raised nearly $120,000, exceeding its goal of $100,000.

Naval Academy plebe’s mom was ‘all in,’ looking forward to Navy Football mothers group before she was fatally shot

Just a few weeks before coming to Annapolis for her son’s Naval Academy Induction Day, Michelle Jordan Cummings drove from Houston to Dallas to meet Michelle Pittman.
Pittman gave Cummings a pin that said “Motherhood of the Brotherhood” — a tight-knit group of Naval Academy football moms.
“We talked and we welcomed her into our Navy mama family and I gave her a cute little pin for her to wear on her shirt for I-day,” Pittman said. “I told her I will see her when she got to Annapolis.”

But Pittman, who lives in Bowie, didn’t get to see Cummings before she was shot to death early Tuesday morning while sitting at a patio area outside the Graduate Hotel on West Street.
Cummings, 57, was in Annapolis to drop off her son at Induction Day, which he attended Wednesday. Her son, Midshipman Candidate Leonard “Trey” Cummings III, attended the Naval Academy Preparatory School in Rhode Island and is a football prospect.

“She was all in,” Pittman said. “She was so excited and ready to join us and support the mission that our sons have signed up for.”
Now Cummings won’t have the opportunity to be a part of the Motherhood of the Brotherhood like she wanted and police and other law enforcement are investigating why.

Police said Tuesday the shots were likely fired on Pleasant Street, and Cummings, who was hit more than once, was not the intended target. The call for the shooting came in around 12:21 a.m., police said.
Multiple shots were fired on Pleasant Street, including at a parked car with two people in it, police said. Annapolis Police Chief Edward Jackson called it almost inexplicable how the bullets traveled from Pleasant Street to the elevated Graduate Hotel patio.

At a news conference Wednesday in Annapolis, leaders from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives announced they are offering a combined $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the shooting.

Jackson said he spoke to Trey Cummings and encouraged him to move forward with attending the Naval Academy to honor his mother’s memory.
“I said to him, ‘I think the best way to honor your mother’s legacy — because she’s a big part of you being here today; she raised you, she nurtured you, she loved you ... is to go forward with your education at the Naval Academy,’” Jackson said.

After he attended Induction Day, Cummings was granted leave to mourn his mother before returning for his summer training, said Lt. Col. Todd McCarthy, plebe summer officer in charge.
“He’s going to step into the brigade like nothing happened, and we’re going to keep a close eye on it, but I couldn’t be prouder of that young man,” McCarthy said. “And when I say that I speak for all the leadership. We are so proud of him.”
Cummings is showing “incredible tenacity and strength,” said McCarthy, noting that he did not think he could do the same if he were Cummings.
“I mean, I was absolutely blown away by the strength that he’s demonstrated,” McCarthy said.

Michelle Cummings served as the president of the Westfield High School Booster Club during the 2019-2020 school year, according to a statement released by the Spring Independent School District in Texas. The statement described her as a very engaged parent who was always ready to support student-athletes.
She also was an administrator on the Class of 2025 Navy Football Parents Facebook page.

Cummings became friends with Annapolis resident Veranna Phillips, a fellow administrator of the Facebook page, because their sons attended the Naval Academy prep school together. Phillips said Cummings always could make her laugh.
When Phillips learned of Cummings’ death, she set up a GoFundMe to raise money for the Cummings family. In a little over a day, more than 1,600 people have donated more than $95,200. The money will be used to help transport Cummings’ body to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where she will be buried, and help cover funeral costs, Phillips said.

Chet Gladchuk, the director of athletics at the Naval Academy, gave his sympathies to the Cummings family.
" No family should ever have to go through something like this, a senseless act of violence that took their loved one. The Naval Academy Athletic Association and the Navy Football family will support the Cummings family in every way possible,” Gladchuk said in a statement.
Joe DuPaix, a Navy football assistant coach, said he is looking forward to having Trey Cummings rejoin the team once he takes care of personal things related to the death of his mother.
Dupaix, who recruited Cummings, said he had the opportunity to get to know him and his family well.
“I wasn’t surprised that Trey made the mature decision to come to the Naval Academy because of the way he was raised,” he said. “I knew right off the bat they were high-character people.”
He said that the Navy Football brotherhood will always take care of its members.
“Trey and his family are part of the Navy football family” DuPaix said, “so we are going to do everything we possibly can.”
cradleandshoot

Re: senseless violence in our streets

Post by cradleandshoot »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:10 am Yet another innocent victim, caught in a crossfire.
This one hits close to home.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan adds an additional $10,000 to reward for information in shooting of Naval Academy mom
The reward for information regarding the shooting of a Naval Academy mother is now $32,000 after Gov. Larry Hogan authorized an additional $10,000.

Michelle Cummings, 57, of Houston, was relaxing early Tuesday morning with friends on the elevated patio outside of the Graduate Hotel on West Street when she was fatally shot. She was in Annapolis to bring her son to the Naval Academy for Induction Day. Police say she was not the intended target.

Yesterday, during a news conference on Pleasant Street, the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives offered $20,000 for information that leads to the arrest of those responsible for Cummings’ death. The Metro Crimestoppers are also offering $2,000.

Hogan said in a statement he spoke with the Cummings family and expressed condolences. The Maryland State Police have offered full resources and are able to support the FBI, ATF and other involved law enforcement agencies.

The investigation into Cummings’s death is still active. Police interviewed two people who were sitting in a parked car on Pleasant Street when Cummings was killed. The two, who were unharmed, are believed to be the intended targets. Police have recovered video footage and begun to interview witnesses, Annapolis Police Chief Ed Jackson said at the Wednesday news conference.

Cummings’ son, Leonard Cummings III, is a plebe at the Naval Academy and a football prospect. He went through Induction Day on Wednesday.
Cummings was described as a mother who was “all in” when it came to her son’s education at the academy. Before I-Day, she traveled to meet with another Naval Academy mother who gave her a pin that said “Motherhood of the Brotherhood,” a reference to the football team.

Leonard “Trey” Cummings attended the Naval Academy Preparatory School before coming to the academy, and the Cummings met other families whose children attended with the midshipman. That included Annapolis resident Veranna Phillips, who set up a GoFundMe to help pay for funeral costs. Cummings will be buried in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

In two days, the GoFundMe raised nearly $120,000, exceeding its goal of $100,000.

Naval Academy plebe’s mom was ‘all in,’ looking forward to Navy Football mothers group before she was fatally shot

Just a few weeks before coming to Annapolis for her son’s Naval Academy Induction Day, Michelle Jordan Cummings drove from Houston to Dallas to meet Michelle Pittman.
Pittman gave Cummings a pin that said “Motherhood of the Brotherhood” — a tight-knit group of Naval Academy football moms.
“We talked and we welcomed her into our Navy mama family and I gave her a cute little pin for her to wear on her shirt for I-day,” Pittman said. “I told her I will see her when she got to Annapolis.”

But Pittman, who lives in Bowie, didn’t get to see Cummings before she was shot to death early Tuesday morning while sitting at a patio area outside the Graduate Hotel on West Street.
Cummings, 57, was in Annapolis to drop off her son at Induction Day, which he attended Wednesday. Her son, Midshipman Candidate Leonard “Trey” Cummings III, attended the Naval Academy Preparatory School in Rhode Island and is a football prospect.

“She was all in,” Pittman said. “She was so excited and ready to join us and support the mission that our sons have signed up for.”
Now Cummings won’t have the opportunity to be a part of the Motherhood of the Brotherhood like she wanted and police and other law enforcement are investigating why.

Police said Tuesday the shots were likely fired on Pleasant Street, and Cummings, who was hit more than once, was not the intended target. The call for the shooting came in around 12:21 a.m., police said.
Multiple shots were fired on Pleasant Street, including at a parked car with two people in it, police said. Annapolis Police Chief Edward Jackson called it almost inexplicable how the bullets traveled from Pleasant Street to the elevated Graduate Hotel patio.

At a news conference Wednesday in Annapolis, leaders from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives announced they are offering a combined $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the shooting.

Jackson said he spoke to Trey Cummings and encouraged him to move forward with attending the Naval Academy to honor his mother’s memory.
“I said to him, ‘I think the best way to honor your mother’s legacy — because she’s a big part of you being here today; she raised you, she nurtured you, she loved you ... is to go forward with your education at the Naval Academy,’” Jackson said.

After he attended Induction Day, Cummings was granted leave to mourn his mother before returning for his summer training, said Lt. Col. Todd McCarthy, plebe summer officer in charge.
“He’s going to step into the brigade like nothing happened, and we’re going to keep a close eye on it, but I couldn’t be prouder of that young man,” McCarthy said. “And when I say that I speak for all the leadership. We are so proud of him.”
Cummings is showing “incredible tenacity and strength,” said McCarthy, noting that he did not think he could do the same if he were Cummings.
“I mean, I was absolutely blown away by the strength that he’s demonstrated,” McCarthy said.

Michelle Cummings served as the president of the Westfield High School Booster Club during the 2019-2020 school year, according to a statement released by the Spring Independent School District in Texas. The statement described her as a very engaged parent who was always ready to support student-athletes.
She also was an administrator on the Class of 2025 Navy Football Parents Facebook page.

Cummings became friends with Annapolis resident Veranna Phillips, a fellow administrator of the Facebook page, because their sons attended the Naval Academy prep school together. Phillips said Cummings always could make her laugh.
When Phillips learned of Cummings’ death, she set up a GoFundMe to raise money for the Cummings family. In a little over a day, more than 1,600 people have donated more than $95,200. The money will be used to help transport Cummings’ body to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where she will be buried, and help cover funeral costs, Phillips said.

Chet Gladchuk, the director of athletics at the Naval Academy, gave his sympathies to the Cummings family.
" No family should ever have to go through something like this, a senseless act of violence that took their loved one. The Naval Academy Athletic Association and the Navy Football family will support the Cummings family in every way possible,” Gladchuk said in a statement.
Joe DuPaix, a Navy football assistant coach, said he is looking forward to having Trey Cummings rejoin the team once he takes care of personal things related to the death of his mother.
Dupaix, who recruited Cummings, said he had the opportunity to get to know him and his family well.
“I wasn’t surprised that Trey made the mature decision to come to the Naval Academy because of the way he was raised,” he said. “I knew right off the bat they were high-character people.”
He said that the Navy Football brotherhood will always take care of its members.
“Trey and his family are part of the Navy football family” DuPaix said, “so we are going to do everything we possibly can.”
You know the drill here OS. This caring and loving mom was just collateral damage. As is the new normal the chances of finding and prosecuting whoever murdered this mom is nothing short of a pathetic joke. My "rant" here will tick off more off my fellow posters than the murder of this poor mom ever will.
Maybe a candlelight vigil or a community organized march to end the violence will finally make a difference. Sorry, my bad I am ranting again, shame on me. :roll:
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:10 am ...Michelle Cummings, 57, of Houston, was relaxing early Tuesday morning with friends on the elevated patio outside of the Graduate Hotel on West Street when she was fatally shot. She was in Annapolis to bring her son to the Naval Academy for Induction Day. Police say she was not the intended target...
Awful...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:56 am
old salt wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:10 am ...Michelle Cummings, 57, of Houston, was relaxing early Tuesday morning with friends on the elevated patio outside of the Graduate Hotel on West Street when she was fatally shot. She was in Annapolis to bring her son to the Naval Academy for Induction Day. Police say she was not the intended target...
Awful...
Why is it that the "intended targets" are seldom hit with the bullets intended for them? Excuse me for the rant. :roll:
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Why do some call CRT Marxist? I don't get it...
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:17 amWhy is it that the "intended targets" are seldom hit with the bullets intended for them? Excuse me for the rant. :roll:
Cradle, I'm happy to talk with you but if this seemingly innocuous discussion is going to be laced with passive aggressive snipes, I'm less happy to talk. it's not personal. Hard to be personal when I don't know you so well. It's as simple as I'm having a good day and good things around me and... I want to maintain this trajectory. With this said...

I think there are so many unintended victims for the same reason that so many criminals are caught. Because most criminals aren't very good at their job, they're not careful, they don't have foresight, they're sloppy, they're not professional, etc.. Not to mention, many are high or drunk. We need criminal training! I say this as a joke but... There's a truth to it.
Caddy Day
Mel the Therapist

Post by Mel the Therapist »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:39 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:17 amWhy is it that the "intended targets" are seldom hit with the bullets intended for them? Excuse me for the rant. :roll:
Cradle, I'm happy to talk with you but if this seemingly innocuous discussion is going to be laced with passive aggressive snipes, I'm less happy to talk...
Cradle, Matnum, I think I may be able to help with this potential impasse. But, first, Cradle, it's good to see you out of the Penalty Box and adjusting so well to civilian life. You're a true success story. But back to this potential impasse. What I believe is happening is that Cradle is a sensitive person. Which is a very good thing. He reads about this terrible death and it pains him. But he doesn't want to feel this pain so, instead of feeling this pain, he channels his emotions towards anger. Cradle, I want to encourage you to allow yourself to feel this pain. You don't need to turn to anger. Allow yourself to feel your feelings. Allow yourself to be yourself.

Feel your feelings,
Mel the Therapist
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:26 am Why do some call CRT Marxist? I don't get it...
Either because they have no idea what they are pontificating about (the majority, I'd guess) or they are confusing/conflating it with CLS, the critical legal studies movement that ggait described elsewhere. The CRT discussion in this country is as stupid and uninformed a discussion as I can remember.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:50 amEither because they have no idea what they are pontificating about (the majority, I'd guess) or they are confusing/conflating it with CLS, the critical legal studies movement that ggait described elsewhere. The CRT discussion in this country is as stupid and uninformed a discussion as I can remember.
Right. CRT unto itself is just an idea. But CLS is an idea where actions are taken etc. and, once CRT is forced upon me (though i'm not 100% sure what that means), it starts to become more Marxist, more don't-take-away-my-individuality. I hear it. I don't necessarily agree but i hear it. Similar to some peoples reaction to BLM. BLM is a perspective, a simple call to recognize that... Black lives matter equally to all other human lives. Pretty straightforward thing. Hard for me to see why someone would take offense to this. But, like we're discussing, once actions are taken around this idea, people react.
Caddy Day

Return to “POLITICS”