Brown 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Brown 2020

Post by The Orfling »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:38 pm Great win! I too would like the final minutes fo strategy explained. "Too smart by half?" Go with an upperclassman with the game on the line?
Really great tending by both, and props to Gunty and Gendron (may this be a coming out for him and not a one-time flash!)
I figure a little second-guessing when there's no sting (because it turned out fine) is okay . . . :lol:

Gunty had won two out of the last three face-offs he had taken against UVA's Schwenk. I believe sending McShea (the upperclassman) out at the end was based upon the idea that Gunty often pops up quickly and goes for the fast forward exit, while McShea battles longer in the clamp and would burn more time. Fair enough. But when UVA won it easily and cleanly and scored in 5 seconds, I don't know why they did not go back to Gunty, at that point. But they didn't, and UVA easily and quickly won the second face-off as well with time to get a good offensive look (credit to Brown defense that they did not).
molo

Post by molo »

Congrats to Brown on a day when two former Ivy coaches list to their old teams.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Hard to have a better regular season week:
Raise 2.1MM for Boston Children’s Hospital

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ncer/56097

Follow it up by breaking in the new stadium with a win over the defending champs.

Goss was obviously outstanding. Emergence of a third midfield scoring threat could open things up for the offense a little bit, hope to see Gendron stay healthy. Couldn’t believe how slick O’Neill was off the ground. I’d feel great about Enchill and O’Neill on the wings for FO. Brown plays a ton of D-men this year in the 3rd spot and on man down. Can’t have a let down going into Ivy opener against Harvard.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Brown played 28 players in a big game with a close score. Talk about giving real time experience.
ByTheNumbers

Post by ByTheNumbers »

Five games into the 2020 season, here's where we stand statistically (Brown rank/Sample size)

(1) Getting/Keeping the ball = Good
Caused TO - Above Average (19/74)
FaceOff % - Good (14/74) - Gunty has been a great addition
Ground Balls - Good (11/74)
Turnovers - Good (13/74) - Biggest improvement over last year
Clears - Above Average (36/74)

(2) Scoring = Average
Scoring Offense - Above Average (22/74)
Shot % - Bad (59/74) - This is our glaring weakness. Must have been even worse before the UVA game.

(3) Stopping the ball = Good
Scoring Defense - Above Average (22/74)
Save Percentage - Good (16/68) - Huge improvement for Goss

Bottom line is that if we could shoot, we'd be 5-0. But we already knew that.

ByTheNumbers wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:12 pm I have never posted before, but have read this blog occasionally and appreciate everyone's posts. Being more a numbers guy than a lacrosse guy, I appreciated the link to the NCAA website, which has a wealth of statistics. For each category, I put Brown in one of four groups: "Good" =top 25%; "Above Average" = top 25% to 50%; "Below Average" =next quartile; "Bad" =bottom 25%. I then grouped the stats into three areas: (1) getting/keeping the ball (2) scoring when we have the ball (3) stopping them when they have the ball.

(1) Getting/Keeping the ball- Overall = Average
Caused TO - Below Average (45/73)
FaceOff % - Above Average (31/73)
Ground Balls - Good (15/73)
Turnovers - Bad (59/73)
Clears - Below Average (48/73)

(2) Scoring - Overall = Above Average
Scoring Offense - Above Average (25/73)
Shot % - Above Average (34/73)

(3) Stopping Them - Overall = Below Average
Scoring Defense - Below Average (40/73)
Save Percentage - Below Average (47/69)

Overall we were about average, which was consistent with our win-loss record. Based on the numbers, we need more work on the defensive end than on the offensive end (already obvious). My biggest surprise based upon what I have read here in the past: FO's better than I thought. Save % worse than I thought. It's nice to be a Monday morning QB with an arsenal of data at your disposal.
wvlax

Post by wvlax »

bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

😖But better safe than sorry. NO ONE has immunity to this strain.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Well, being at the Brown UVa game was one helluva great way to go out this year. Thanks to all the players, coaches etc and best wishes to the seniors. Not how you imagined it I know, but with your education here (and your native intelligence to get here in the first place) I think you'll know the big picture life-and-death issues are real, and pressing.

Ever True
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:08 pm Well, being at the Brown UVa game was one helluva great way to go out this year. Thanks to all the players, coaches etc and best wishes to the seniors. Not how you imagined it I know, but with your education here (and your native intelligence to get here in the first place) I think you'll know the big picture life-and-death issues are real, and pressing.

Ever True
+1
Sting The Corner

The Bears got a practice in today and then showed up in full gear to cheer the Women’s Lax team to an upset over ranked Virginia Tech. Lemons out of lemonade. Touch of class by the squad on a very hard day.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Ugh. Looking for lax fix, went to view full 2016 semifinal.

Video unavailable
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Da*n.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Want to bring Brown back up to page 1.....hope all safe with the virus concerns......here is my hypothetical question to keep the discussion going regarding Brown lacrosse:

Would you have rather finished the shortened season at 4-1, having beaten Stoney Brook and Providence but losing to Virginia or finished the season as we did at 3-2 having come back and beaten the defending national champs?

I favor 3-2, ending with a tremendous comeback against UVA. It shows Brown could have played with anyone. Had we lost to UVA the issue would have been yes Brown beats those we should but cannot win the “big ones.”

What do others think and again keep safe!
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Agree, ending with UVA win was a great way to finish the season.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Beating the DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPIONS was ecstatic and will be forever remembered by all within the Brown Lax family....Brown great Andy Towers commented upon his respect for Lars in taking-on Brown (in Providence, no less) - an act that predecessor Brown alum Dom Starsia never chanced)..I have to believe that deep, deep down viscerally and subliminally Coach Tiffany wanted a Brown win.....somehow it assuaged his regrets/ embarrassments/ discomforts in leaving Brown for the greener pastures of scholarhips; no academic contraints; recruits coming to him; watching big-time college b-ball and football; and thriving in annual Top 10 rankings and Final Four realistic expectations...now the slate is clean for him; he has paid his karmic dues.....up 8-2 early the prospect of a 22 - 8 win was not one that Tiffany wanted .......as his "supporters" on the Sabre Lax blog post-game gratuitously pointed out there was too much liberal midfield subbing early; a player or two who had not previously seen the field playing in the 1st half.......then the 3rd qtr Brown onslaught happened and to Brown's credit it was too late for U Va. to grab back the assumed win.....Coach Tiffany commented to fellow-Brown Capt. Jamie Munro - "Well, at least I made a lot of my friends and Brown alums happy!"....actually, he did more than that, he made himself happy.....it was Lars Tiffany recruit Goalie Phil Goss (as well as other of his recruits) who got the most enthusiastic pats on the back and broad smiles from their former coach....there will be many ACC and NCAA Tournament wins in store for a Tiffany lead Cavaliers team in future years.....but there will never be again a loss that was, maybe, the biggest WIN of his coaching career.....
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Minor point in a global pandemic and a shut down society, including college lax, but Lars' 'let more guys see the field' 1st half move cost momentum and possibly the game, but didn't hurt the team down the line at tourney time: no tourney😥
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

A very cerebral and thought-provoking response by Counselor but I believe it was more a reflection of the belief that Brown was not capable of beating UVA. I am certain Coach Tiffany did not want to embarrass Brown but I doubt he would have started to substitute if he truly believed the game was in jeopardy.
Despite having four IVY teams in the top 10 and three in top five I am repeatedly finding parents of players in other leagues surprised by IVY success.
UVA’s two losses this season to IVY teams
projected fourth or fifth in IVY preseason. The great PSU’s only four losses the past two years were to IVY teams. IVY arrow was and hopefully will be pointed straight up after the pandemic crisis is defeated.
I think beating UVA was huge and will serve as a great reminder of the potential of Brown’s program. Let’s survive this virus pandemic first but I am hopeful for Brown’s continued development and success
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Bearfan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:13 pm ...Despite having four IVY teams in the top 10 and three in top five I am repeatedly finding parents of players in other leagues surprised by IVY success.
UVA’s two losses this season to IVY teams
projected fourth or fifth in IVY preseason. The great PSU’s only four losses the past two years were to IVY teams. IVY arrow was and hopefully will be pointed straight up after the pandemic crisis is defeated.
I think beating UVA was huge and will serve as a great reminder of the potential of Brown’s program. Let’s survive this virus pandemic first but I am hopeful for Brown’s continued development and success
First of all, congratulations to the Brown faithful on a terrific win over UVa. As for surprised parents, well, as recently as 2017 the Ivy was a one-bid conference and that one team was knocked out in the NCAA first round... and well, it is the Ivy, with the stereotypes about brains not jocks, etc, etc. The stars really seemed to be aligning this year for the IL, with Princeton and Cornell undefeated and with wins over UVa and Penn State, respectively, with Brown's amazing comeback win over the defending national champions, with Yale beating Penn State and (here I am biased) looking capable of a third consecutive Final Four appearance, and with Penn being Penn and having knocked off Duke. I'd said pre-season that Brown was my sleeper in the Ivy, and the Bear woke up at just the right time. Whatever happens, we will not get this season back; I suppose in the grand scheme of things lacrosse just isn't that important, but geez, this was shaping up to be such a season for the Ivies.
Sting The Corner

Just to keep the thread going, here are a couple thoughts about the season and that upcoming:

—I was really impressed with both Geppert and Gaydos on close D. Watching UVA it looked like a 3rd Sophomore, Taylor, saw the majority of time in the 3rd spot. Makes for a strong returning crew, especially with Enchill and O’Neill @ LSM.

—My favorite player to watch has been Jack Kniffin. Really high lacrosse IQ, good shooter, and very hard rider. He would probably be 3rd on the depth chart behind Cook and McCaleb, but was clutch and a great glue guy and will be missed.

—the 2020 Bears showcased more midfield depth, both offensively and defensively than they’ve had in a very long time. Brown should feel great having all contributors return aside from Michael Brown, who has been excellent. Fortunately Pike, Stewart and Yeboah-Kodie are back at SSDM, though I hope Y-K finds a way into the offensive playbook.

—FO game looked great. Was a little surprising seeing Simaan take fewer draws after being the top guy last year. McShea can scruff it up. And Gunty finished the abbreviated year ranked 7th nationally in FO%. There are some good recruits coming in the next couple years at the dot so this should remain a strength.

—Goss will obviously be missed. Will end his career joining a long list of outstanding Brown goalies. The team seems to be positioned to provide more support to the next keeper than Goss had in his first year—a solid crew returns and FO’s are better while turnovers were down this year. Shouldn’t get shelled too often.

—With such a short season, never got a look at some of the freshmen who might have cracked the lineup as the season went on. From the three games I watched, saw Hertz, Hart and O’Neill get run on D. Paff and YK at midfield. Had heard really good things about King but don’t recall seeing him ever mix up with the middies. You wonder if some of these guys would’ve had bigger roles as the year went on.

—McCaleb was understandably overshadowed by Sowers, Teat, and Morrill in the Ivy League. But he never got the accolades or national attention a player with 150+ points in 3 years deserved.

—There aren’t many holes to fill next year, but there are big holes to fill. Best guess for the two attack spots? I think Mclane was first off the bench? Or Hale? Parr seemed like EMO only but he could definitely step in and score some goals. Don’t know much about the incoming guys. With such a long offseason plenty of opportunity for guys to work hard and come back bigger and faster to grab a spot.

—Had this season played out, it would’ve been the toughest SOS Brown has had probably since the early 2000’s when Cuse, Loyola and Duke were still on the schedule. I think Brown would’ve gotten a W against Nova or UMass, and been in every Ivy game. We’ll never know. If Daly can add another top 20 game and keep UVA, the schedule could become an asset at tournament time.

—Even with the loss of Goss/McCaleb/Kniffin/Brown, the team returns a ton and should still be on the rise next year. Thx to Seniors. Don’t have any info at all, but would be surprised to see any of this years Seniors back next year even if Ivy rules allow it.
CC10

Post by CC10 »

I see Brown is eliminating 11 sports in order to make the other sports more "championship viable". Feel bad for those who play the cut sports.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”