Brown 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DALaxDad

Brown 2020

Post by DALaxDad »

All right Bear fans, we're falling behind in page count. The Bears lost some pieces to graduation but return a lot of talent and showed much improvement as the season progressed. I'm unsure of who is a likely contributor in the incoming class; I'm sure there are one or two who will contribute. 2020 looks promising.
Sting The Corner

Re: Brown 2020

Post by Sting The Corner »

So much returns for the Bears. They should have a strong year. Aughavin seemed to be taking the next step at the end of the year, and Geppert was very good. Return almost all the starters and some really good ssdm’s. Not sure who might step up from the current roster, but Moshyedi saw a lot of time and might be a candidate to assert himself. There are 4 or 5 incoming Frosh who seem college ready right away. It’s a great talent class—but hopefully a great culture class too—kids from really strong coaches and programs: Ward Melville, Garden City, Mountain Lakes, St Ignatius, Nisky etc.
Charlie Don't Surf

Post by Charlie Don't Surf »

I, too, am bullish on the Bears for 2020. Defensively, Goss heads into his senior year as one of the best goalies in the country. The defense returns everyone except 44, and they were much improved under the new D coordinator. Will be interesting whether the staff moves 27 back to close or leaves him swapping runs with 24 at LSM, or whether they move 11 from SSDM back to close D. The SSDMs otherwise look strong with 13 and 3 (and possibly 11). Would expect them to be buttressed by the incoming class. Offensively, the Bears return their top 5 scorers (40, 2, 4, 42, 6), including 4 40-point scorers. If 20 and 26 (and any incoming freshmen) can contribute significantly, the offense will be very strong. And, both F/O men are back, and collectively were better than 50%. And, there is an incoming freshman who is reputedly strong. I am sure the Bears want 60-70%, but, I think the Bears can contend for an Ivy title at 50%, especially if they can break close to even w Penn/Yale on F/Os--admittedly a tall order. Overall, the future looks bright for the Bears.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Agree with all of the above assessments focusing on what will be an improved edition of Brown Lacrosse in 2020 - the issue, however, also has to do with the Ivy competition to be faced in 2020. Penn may be somewhat diminished but with U Va. goalie transfer (Inside Lacrosse's #1 high school goalie going into last season) Burkinshaw and an excellent FO Brown will be extended in beating the Quakers and avenging the 1 goal/controversial late call Ivy Tournament loss. Yale will continue to justify its Top 3 ranking going into 2020. Cornell will be stronger with a recruiting class coming in equal to Brown's ( the Canadian flavor in Ithaca helps the program immensely). Princeton will, as always, be more than competitive. And then there is Harvard which if they select Brown grad (by way of Amherst) Jon Thompson as HC this week will gain an immediate impact from the aggressive, committed and all-in Maine product - many thought he would be the successor to Tiffany at Brown and he was very disappointed in not even getting an interview - talk of revenge !!
An early spring return game in Providence with Tiffany's National Champs (who as was their pattern last season overcame a 4 goal deficit mid 4th qtr. deficit in beating Brown in OT) highlights the out-of-conference schedule.. We will see how the relied- upon Onondoga Indian reservation up-bringing/ spiritual source of inspiration of the U Va. coach works without Assistant (OC) Kirwan's presence on the sidelines (who seems sure to secure a HC position somewhere this week) - might even be missing Def Coord. Turner who might elect to join Kirwan wherever he goes.
There is clearly the potential next year for this Brown team to play at home in the NCAA Quarterfinals at Brown Stadium - but will need all the breaks going their way and a dedicated and mission-oriented focus generated by Coach Daly who is looking to get over the proverbial "hump" at Brown to match what brethren Penn and Yale have accomplished of late.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Charlie Don't Surf wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:21 am I, too, am bullish on the Bears for 2020. Defensively, Goss heads into his senior year as one of the best goalies in the country. The defense returns everyone except 44, and they were much improved under the new D coordinator. Will be interesting whether the staff moves 27 back to close or leaves him swapping runs with 24 at LSM, or whether they move 11 from SSDM back to close D. The SSDMs otherwise look strong with 13 and 3 (and possibly 11). Would expect them to be buttressed by the incoming class. Offensively, the Bears return their top 5 scorers (40, 2, 4, 42, 6), including 4 40-point scorers. If 20 and 26 (and any incoming freshmen) can contribute significantly, the offense will be very strong. And, both F/O men are back, and collectively were better than 50%. And, there is an incoming freshman who is reputedly strong. I am sure the Bears want 60-70%, but, I think the Bears can contend for an Ivy title at 50%, especially if they can break close to even w Penn/Yale on F/Os--admittedly a tall order. Overall, the future looks bright for the Bears.
I don't like to be too tough on specific individuals, but I remain bothered by the All-Ivy selection of Goss over Hincks of Dartmouth.

Phil is a very good goalie, but 47'th in the country with a 50% save average makes it tough to say "one of the best goalies in the country" unless you mean that when removing the 12 seniors from 2019 with better %, he's in the top 35 tenders returning. You could say he's one of the top 16 junior goalies returning.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... vidual/224
Charlie Don't Surf

Post by Charlie Don't Surf »

MD: Not an unfair observation at all, but one with which I respectfully disagree for two principal reasons.

First, my statement that he is one of the best goalies in the country heading into his senior year is based on his entire body of work, not just the 2019 season. He was selected to Team USA's gold-medal winning U-19 team heading into his freshman year, so at least those coaches thought he was one of the top 2-3 goalies among those eligible at the time. His freshman year he proved he was, leading the nation in saves per game, after starting every game and playing nearly every minute. His 2018 season, he was 2nd in the nation in saves/game and 15th in save %, again starting every game and playing nearly every minute, earning AA honors and 1st Team All-Ivy. It is true that his numbers were down a bit this year, when he again started every game and played near every minute, but overall I (for one) believe he is one of the best goalies in the NCAA heading into the 2020 season.

Second, even if one were to focus on your point--that Dartmouth's goalie was more deserving of 2nd-team All-Ivy than Goss in 2019--a few thoughts to consider: (a) the two positions are not mutually exclusive--Goss can be one of the best goalies in the country heading into 2020 and Hincks can have been more deserving of 2nd-team All-Ivy than Goss; (b) Hincks is an excellent goalie--indeed, one of the IL's best, although one can argue that his back-up this year, Christopher, is at least his equal (Dartmouth is blessed with two terrific goalies)--but it is fair to examine in considering whether a goalie is "one of the best in the country" whether (and to what extent) durability plays a role: Hincks, in one season, played in 11 out of Dartmouth's 14 games, and in 3 of those he played fewer than 40 minutes (out of 60) (a total of less than 600 minutes), whereas Goss has played virtually every minute of every game over three seasons (averaging more than 900 minutes per season (I recognize Brown has played more games than DC)); and (c) examining the career statistics of each is difficult given the significant disparity in sample size (47 games for Goss compared to 14 for Hincks), but if you take the best season for Goss compared to Hincks' lone season in key metrics, they are pretty close (but Goss has slightly better stats)--Goss has an 11.49 GA average (2019) compared to Hincks' 12.51; Goss has 13.2 saves/game (2018) compared to Hincks' 12.73; and Goss has a save % of 54% (2018) compared to 53.4% for Hincks.

None of this disposes of your point--that Hincks was more deserving than Goss of 2nd team All-Ivy in 2019--which can be reasonably debated, but neither does it cast any doubt on my point--that going into 2020, Goss is one of the best goalies in the country (which I base on his entire body of work). Indeed, with Burkinshaw heading to Penn, Goss, Hincks (and Christopher), Ierlan, etc, the IL is blessed with some very talented goalies. Overall, I remain bullish on the Bears for 2020. And, I also think DC will get that elusive IL win in 2020.
ByTheNumbers

Post by ByTheNumbers »

I have never posted before, but have read this blog occasionally and appreciate everyone's posts. Being more a numbers guy than a lacrosse guy, I appreciated the link to the NCAA website, which has a wealth of statistics. For each category, I put Brown in one of four groups: "Good" =top 25%; "Above Average" = top 25% to 50%; "Below Average" =next quartile; "Bad" =bottom 25%. I then grouped the stats into three areas: (1) getting/keeping the ball (2) scoring when we have the ball (3) stopping them when they have the ball.

(1) Getting/Keeping the ball- Overall = Average
Caused TO - Below Average (45/73)
FaceOff % - Above Average (31/73)
Ground Balls - Good (15/73)
Turnovers - Bad (59/73)
Clears - Below Average (48/73)

(2) Scoring - Overall = Above Average
Scoring Offense - Above Average (25/73)
Shot % - Above Average (34/73)

(3) Stopping Them - Overall = Below Average
Scoring Defense - Below Average (40/73)
Save Percentage - Below Average (47/69)

Overall we were about average, which was consistent with our win-loss record. Based on the numbers, we need more work on the defensive end than on the offensive end (already obvious). My biggest surprise based upon what I have read here in the past: FO's better than I thought. Save % worse than I thought. It's nice to be a Monday morning QB with an arsenal of data at your disposal.
InDeoSperamus

Post by InDeoSperamus »

ByTheNumbers wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:12 pm I have never posted before, but have read this blog occasionally and appreciate everyone's posts. Being more a numbers guy than a lacrosse guy, I appreciated the link to the NCAA website, which has a wealth of statistics. For each category, I put Brown in one of four groups: "Good" =top 25%; "Above Average" = top 25% to 50%; "Below Average" =next quartile; "Bad" =bottom 25%. I then grouped the stats into three areas: (1) getting/keeping the ball (2) scoring when we have the ball (3) stopping them when they have the ball.

(1) Getting/Keeping the ball- Overall = Average
Caused TO - Below Average (45/73)
FaceOff % - Above Average (31/73)
Ground Balls - Good (15/73)
Turnovers - Bad (59/73)
Clears - Below Average (48/73)

(2) Scoring - Overall = Above Average
Scoring Offense - Above Average (25/73)
Shot % - Above Average (34/73)

(3) Stopping Them - Overall = Below Average
Scoring Defense - Below Average (40/73)
Save Percentage - Below Average (47/69)

Overall we were about average, which was consistent with our win-loss record. Based on the numbers, we need more work on the defensive end than on the offensive end (already obvious). My biggest surprise based upon what I have read here in the past: FO's better than I thought. Save % worse than I thought. It's nice to be a Monday morning QB with an arsenal of data at your disposal.
This is an interesting analysis but I have a little different take. I think the most relevant comparison is where we stand in the Ivy League. Our offense (12.06 goals/game) was ranked 5th in the league behind Yale (15.94 goals/game), Penn (14.94 goals/game), Cornell (14.27 goals/game) and Princeton (13.93 goals/game). So we scored almost 2 full goals less than the 4th ranked team and were almost tied with Harvard at 2nd to last in the league (12.00 goals/game). The Ivies had 4 of the top 11 offenses in the country, one of whom we played twice (Penn at 3rd in country). Our defense was 3rd in the Ivies (almost tied for 2nd at 11.56 goals/game) behind Yale (11.28 goals/game) and Princeton (11.50 goals/game). Yet our saves/game and save percentage were actually 2nd worst in the Ivies behind only Yale which would imply that our defense was actually very good particularly when you also factor in that we didn't have a dominant FOGO (like Yale) and played Penn twice who had the 3rd highest scoring offense in the country. We played 6 of our games against teams that were in the top 11 scoring offenses in the country. The average rank of the offenses we played was 29th in the country while the average rank of the defenses we played was 37th in the country. Not sure what it all means though. :roll:
Think there's good reason to be excited for next year. Team was very young and returns a lot. Looking forward to UVA at home next year in a new stadium too.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Charlie Don't Surf wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:59 pm MD: Not an unfair observation at all, but one with which I respectfully disagree for two principal reasons.

First, my statement that he is one of the best goalies in the country heading into his senior year is based on his entire body of work, not just the 2019 season. He was selected to Team USA's gold-medal winning U-19 team heading into his freshman year, so at least those coaches thought he was one of the top 2-3 goalies among those eligible at the time. His freshman year he proved he was, leading the nation in saves per game, after starting every game and playing nearly every minute. His 2018 season, he was 2nd in the nation in saves/game and 15th in save %, again starting every game and playing nearly every minute, earning AA honors and 1st Team All-Ivy. It is true that his numbers were down a bit this year, when he again started every game and played near every minute, but overall I (for one) believe he is one of the best goalies in the NCAA heading into the 2020 season.

Second, even if one were to focus on your point--that Dartmouth's goalie was more deserving of 2nd-team All-Ivy than Goss in 2019--a few thoughts to consider: (a) the two positions are not mutually exclusive--Goss can be one of the best goalies in the country heading into 2020 and Hincks can have been more deserving of 2nd-team All-Ivy than Goss; (b) Hincks is an excellent goalie--indeed, one of the IL's best, although one can argue that his back-up this year, Christopher, is at least his equal (Dartmouth is blessed with two terrific goalies)--but it is fair to examine in considering whether a goalie is "one of the best in the country" whether (and to what extent) durability plays a role: Hincks, in one season, played in 11 out of Dartmouth's 14 games, and in 3 of those he played fewer than 40 minutes (out of 60) (a total of less than 600 minutes), whereas Goss has played virtually every minute of every game over three seasons (averaging more than 900 minutes per season (I recognize Brown has played more games than DC)); and (c) examining the career statistics of each is difficult given the significant disparity in sample size (47 games for Goss compared to 14 for Hincks), but if you take the best season for Goss compared to Hincks' lone season in key metrics, they are pretty close (but Goss has slightly better stats)--Goss has an 11.49 GA average (2019) compared to Hincks' 12.51; Goss has 13.2 saves/game (2018) compared to Hincks' 12.73; and Goss has a save % of 54% (2018) compared to 53.4% for Hincks.

None of this disposes of your point--that Hincks was more deserving than Goss of 2nd team All-Ivy in 2019--which can be reasonably debated, but neither does it cast any doubt on my point--that going into 2020, Goss is one of the best goalies in the country (which I base on his entire body of work). Indeed, with Burkinshaw heading to Penn, Goss, Hincks (and Christopher), Ierlan, etc, the IL is blessed with some very talented goalies. Overall, I remain bullish on the Bears for 2020. And, I also think DC will get that elusive IL win in 2020.
Terrific post!...clapping hands emoji.
I love posts that actually dig into the data!

I definitely did not intend to throw any shade on Goss's career, nor his potential for a super senior campaign.
I just don't see his trajectory over these years as leading to quite the notion of "one of the best in the country". But you're certainly correct that he has that sort of potential.

Not sure I'd weight 'durability' as I consider that highly ephemeral, with one turn of the knee or hip, one knee to the head, one hard shot to the hand, etc leading to a lost series of games or even a season. Really a luck of the draw matter, as all of these guys 'play hurt' from time to time, if they can be cleared to do so. Goalies take a beating as a matter, of course, so need to be among the toughest.

Yes, Hincks missed a couple of games this season and Christopher more than ably stepped into the breach. Indeed, played some of his best lax of his career so far. Both are first rate tenders, IMO. And not to be overly argumentative, but with the loss of D's best defenseman early in the season, both guys faced a barrage of shots from good position. Tough gig playing for a team that's struggling. Even more so when FO's are below 35% (only 22% in conference).
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

aside from all the stats supporting one or another goalie I'd want Goss in my goal in a must game in the coming 2020 season ....played solidly in that must game against Penn in the Ivy Tourney (Brown losing by 1)........the only other Ivy goalie of late I'd even want more is the graduated Penn goalie... Goss does have his off games but most often does rise to the occasion later in the season and around Ivy Tournament time .....and, hopefully, next year around NCAA Tourney time... also seems to have a pattern of playing better later in each game....maybe best to have him play a practice quarter before each contest....seems to need to warm up earlier in the game.....
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Counselor wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:02 pm aside from all the stats supporting one or another goalie I'd want Goss in my goal in a must game in the coming 2020 season ....played solidly in that must game against Penn in the Ivy Tourney (Brown losing by 1)........the only other Ivy goalie of late I'd even want more is the graduated Penn goalie... Goss does have his off games but most often does rise to the occasion later in the season and around Ivy Tournament time .....and, hopefully, next year around NCAA Tourney time... also seems to have a pattern of playing better later in each game....maybe best to have him play a practice quarter before each contest....seems to need to warm up earlier in the game.....
Despite my Brown bias, I think it's fair to say that Goss had an off year in 2019. I would have to rate Junkin and Hincks ahead of him. That is particularly true when you consider the supporting cast for Hincks. I would also point out that Junkin and Hincks are both Belmont Hill alums for all my lacrosse friends who believe that lacrosse only really exists on L.I. and inside a 50 mile radius of Charm City. Bel Hill also produced one of Brown's 2018 captains, the remarkable Max Gustafson. Long live the ISL!
Sting The Corner

Nice haul. Had not previously seen that Glavin set the Mountain Lakes career points record. 3 AA’s and the Nassau POY is as good of a Long Island class as Brown has had. This doesn’t quite align with the InsideLacrosse list, I wonder if any of those guys are headed to Brown as walk ons or if they switched their commitment.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Agreed that Goss is a good goalie. But I don’t understand how he could have earned HM AA honors this year. Last year, fine. But this year he was second to last in % in his LEAGUE, besting only Starr. This reminds me of when they gave third team AA to Gunner Waldt of Bryant for a sub par year after he was a first teamer the year before. Politics certainly does come into play. IMO others more deserving of an HM were Porter of Cuse and McSorely of BU. I put Goss in the same bucket as Kneese this year. Not sure why he was named an HM as well over those two other guys. Last point, Troutner. Also a good goalie and I have no problem with him in there. But Torpey’s statement of “not even close” after the Duke game when describing him as the best in the country was obviously wrong.
former19$

Post by former19$ »

Seems awfully quiet on the recruiting front for the class of 2024, recognizing its still early. But, seems like other Ivy's out in front of it?
Sting The Corner

Not sure there was a lot to do this Summer for 2020 grads as the class was largely set. Would’ve been nice to hold onto the pole who flipped to Harvard, but the class is maybe 10 deep as-is. Room for 2/3 more kids? Sure coaches were hard at work prepping for 21’s. Daly has had some really good flips, so maybe there’s 1 or 2 in the cards this Fall.
former19$ wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:13 pm Seems awfully quiet on the recruiting front for the class of 2024, recognizing its still early. But, seems like other Ivy's out in front of it?
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

nice pick-up in the 6" 4" middie Jack Kelly from Culver Academy (2020) who just switched from Bucknell.....nice ring to the name "Jack Kelly" to Brown Lax fans who were inspired by the Brown goalie in the Final Four appearance season a few years ago....only some 3 spots remaining in the 2020 class with some 5 outstanding ones pounding on the door to gain a slot... added are a few others Brown is still pursuing for the Sept. 2020 class ......don't know that the '20's can match the level of talent coming-in next month but some say it will be close.....now if there are any "Dylan Molloys" out there for the '20 class please contact the Brown Lax office tomorrow as it is getting late......class will be completed by the end of the month most likely.... Coach Daly might reserve one slot for an already committed Top 25 candidate who realizes late that Brown can offer a better "whole package" for a lifetime.....
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Brown State 45+ Gold at Lake Placid:

https://snapwidget.com/v/in/21077842616 ... c=5Xe1j6EX
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

^ Any eligibility left?^. ;)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”