2020 Spontaneous/Miscellaneous Game Threads

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: 2020 Spontaneous/Miscellaneous Game Threads

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 am Duke with 6 yellow cards and 22 turnovers including 15 in the first half. If this had been against a better team it would have been a midweek upset. Have to wonder also if they were looking ahead to the Penn game.
yeah I agree, I think the announcer said that Duke averaged 10 TOs a game. That is quite a difference against a lesser opponent. Had to be a bit of that Penn look ahead....Or maybe just playing down to ECU's level?
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

I know a lot is going on today, but I was very surprised to see Virginia Tech lose to Brown 13-11. Did not see the game. If anyone did, I'd be interested in observations/analysis.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Delco Transplant wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:25 pm I know a lot is going on today, but I was very surprised to see Virginia Tech lose to Brown 13-11. Did not see the game. If anyone did, I'd be interested in observations/analysis.
Wow
CTra

Post by CTra »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:43 am
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 am Duke with 6 yellow cards and 22 turnovers including 15 in the first half. If this had been against a better team it would have been a midweek upset. Have to wonder also if they were looking ahead to the Penn game.
yeah I agree, I think the announcer said that Duke averaged 10 TOs a game. That is quite a difference against a lesser opponent. Had to be a bit of that Penn look ahead....Or maybe just playing down to ECU's level?
Sigh I don't think Duke will being playing Penn on Saturday. I think my Penn team's season is over. So bummed. Safety of the players come first. You played good so far ladies.

https://twitter.com/PennWomensLax?ref_s ... r%5Eauthor
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:30 pm
Delco Transplant wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:25 pm I know a lot is going on today, but I was very surprised to see Virginia Tech lose to Brown 13-11. Did not see the game. If anyone did, I'd be interested in observations/analysis.
Wow
Happy to see they got their last game in as a win
And over VT even better. Incidentally VT leads ACC in yellow cards and is ranked 6th nationally in YC
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:51 pm Incidentally VT leads ACC in yellow cards and is ranked 6th nationally in YC
Which teams are before them? Or better yet, maybe you could supply the link where you get those stats. It would be an interesting reference tool to have for future research.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:30 pm
Wow
Brown is the same team that gave Dartmouth all it could handle. The Ivy League was very good this year. [Insert sad face here]
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:54 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:51 pm Incidentally VT leads ACC in yellow cards and is ranked 6th nationally in YC
Which teams are before them? Or better yet, maybe you could supply the link where you get those stats. It would be an interesting reference tool to have for future research.
Detroit Mercy
Denver
ODU
Radford
Robert Morris
VT

NCAA website... I can't post the link from my phone, but Google women's lacrosse stats and then at that site it is under team statistics.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:54 pm
Detroit Mercy
Denver
ODU
Radford
Robert Morris
VT

NCAA website... I can't post the link from my phone, but Google women's lacrosse stats and then at that site it is under team statistics.
Thanks, Doc
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:51 pm Happy to see they got their last game in as a win
And over VT even better. Incidentally VT leads ACC in yellow cards and is ranked 6th nationally in YC
The other teams before Virginia Tech:

1 - Detroit Mercy
2 - Denver
3 - ODU
4 - Radford
5 - Robert Morris

Well, well--Denver, huh? Gee, why haven't I read anywhere on here about what a dirtbag the coach for Denver is? Or the other 4 teams for that matter? Aren't they all POS for having their teams thug it up against the rest of D1. Nope--I guess it's just John Sung. What's the distinction? Is it his race? The team colors? Got something against Hokies?

Let's see who all else is in the top 10. Lookie here! Florida, Louisville and Duke. Three more dirtbag coaches I guess huh? Oh--but this list doesn't give the average--just the number of yellow cards. So if I take the 9 games that VT has amassed this despicable number of yellow cards by the games they've played it comes out to a ghastly 2.4 yellow cards a game whereas Denver averages 3.85. He ought to be run out of town on a rail! Disgusting! Why doesn't the NCAA do something!

The next time someone rails against John Sung let me know so I can go get a big bag to vomit in.

==================================================================================
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 9.39.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 9.39.55 PM.png (144.25 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

Boston College beat Hofstra today, so good win for them.

Brown just got their last game under the gun with a win over VT. Probably a bittersweet situation for the Bears since they're kaput for the rest of the season. Thank god the ACC is made of sterner stuff for the time being...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:53 pm Well, well--Denver, huh? Gee, why haven't I read anywhere on here about what a dirtbag the coach for Denver is? Or the other 4 teams for that matter? Aren't they all POS for having their teams thug it up against the rest of D1. Nope--I guess it's just John Sung. What's the distinction? Is it his race? The team colors? Got something against Hokies?

Let's see who all else is in the top 10. Lookie here! Florida, Louisville and Duke. Three more dirtbag coaches I guess huh? Oh--but this list doesn't give the average--just the number of yellow cards. So if I take the 9 games that VT has amassed this despicable number of yellow cards by the games they've played it comes out to a ghastly 2.4 yellow cards a game whereas Denver averages 3.85. He ought to be run out of town on a rail! Disgusting! Why doesn't the NCAA do something!

The next time someone rails against John Sung let me know so I can go get a big bag to vomit in.

==================================================================================
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 9.39.55 PM.png
Come on man....you are killing me...We do not need to have race as part of this. I will happily tell you why I do not like John Sung, if you really want to know., but it has nothing at all to do with race. And, anecdotally, it has nothing to do with Yellow cards. Could you chill on the race thing?

[edit] now, after reading this the third time, I am getting a bit upset....I am a Virginia Tech graduate. I love my school. I wanted all of my daughters to go there. Please don't degrade your goodwill with people by making an argument about "race...team colors..."or having "something against Hokies." If you want to support John Sung, more power to you, but understand that he appears to have a somewhat widely known reputation and some folks may not like him. As I said above, I can tell you why I dont like him, but I am not going to put it out on a public message board. My daughter played with a handful of the current Hokies. I don't dislike the team or the school. I will do my best to not intrude on your rights any further. It just disappoints me that you used a race question twice on this.

Suggestion...take out the flippant question "Is it his race?" and I am fully behind you on your right to rant. I may not agree with you, but I wouldn't have a distaste for the posting that I have now.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

I have no real indicator as to why Sung gets singled out. Why is Denver (and other teams) able to thug it up much more than the Hokies and they get a pass, yet VT gets called on the carpet all the time? I appreciate that you found the race question distasteful. Now you have an idea of how much posts about Sung, (and Kelly Amonte Hiller earlier) aggravate me. Individual bias posted here on these boards regarding coaches really irritates me. And I still have no real answer as to why he gets singled out, nor do I care. I'm sick and tired of Virginia Tech and John Sung being the whipping boy for rough play and whatever else folks dislike him for. And in the end, that's all it was--a question. If one can truly answer in the negative--great. If not--and it certainly won't be the first or last time race has been an issue in all walks of life down through all the passages of time right up to our current modern enlightened age--then that's a problem.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:43 am I have no real indicator as to why Sung gets singled out. Why is Denver (and other teams) able to thug it up much more than the Hokies and they get a pass, yet VT gets called on the carpet all the time? I appreciate that you found the race question distasteful. Now you have an idea of how much posts about Sung, (and Kelly Amonte Hiller earlier) aggravate me. Individual bias posted here on these boards regarding coaches really irritates me. And I still have no real answer as to why he gets singled out, nor do I care. I'm sick and tired of Virginia Tech and John Sung being the whipping boy for rough play and whatever else folks dislike him for. And in the end, that's all it was--a question. If one can truly answer in the negative--great. If not--and it certainly won't be the first or last time race has been an issue in all walks of life down through all the passages of time right up to our current modern enlightened age--then that's a problem.
OK. I guess we will disagree on whether it is appropriate to question race in a hot debate...I appreciate you responding.

Anyway, just to show you I have no care in the world on how many Yellow Cards VT gets, I did a little research. While Yellow Cards could be a measure of thuggery/physical play, how about just fouls in general. Is that an indicator of "clean" versus dirty... As a black and white question, no it isnt, but as a shade of gray question, possibly, depending on your bias. Should the game be played in a pristine, pretty way where there is no contact? No, that Pandora's box has already opened. Should Teams/Coaches play to the whistle and exploit the rules to their advantages, yes. If the referees are not going to call fouls and escalate them, teams/coaches will continue to foul. Does that make the coaches you discussed in the thread smart in their application of fouling or abusers of the spirit/rules of the game? Again, depends on your perspective. I think we all see things differently in how we would like the Women's game to be. So, again, this is just looking at Fouls, not cards. Take it for what it is worth. Here was the bottom of the Fouls per game stat (bottom of the list is more fouls per game).

Further research shows the following:
Duke #100
Northwestern #88
Princeton #87
SBU #71
VT #60
FLA #58
MD #44
UNC #23
UVA #10

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-wom ... am/1186/p3

So, I guess the point of the above, is that if the discussion wants to be centered around fouling and the perception of roughness/thuggery, maybe the discussion should be expanded to include overall fouls....Or even more direct to the discussion, percentage of Yellow Cards/Red Cards per fouls called. That would be an enlightening stat - I don't have time to figure that out, but it might support one position or the other.

As far as Senor Sung, I don't like him. Nothing to do with the play on the field, so, I will stay out of the he is/isn't a thug discussion. I just don't care for him and I will leave it at that. I fully support your intense support of him and others.

As far as some of the other teams/coaches mentioned in the various threads, I dont really have a direct opinion on which teams/coaches are more physical/dirty than others. I think every team in the top of D1 is physical, it just varies. Again, depending on your bias, you are going to see things differently than me in watching KAH, Sung, the two GOATS, Levy, Reese, Corbett, Timchal, etc. coach and how their teams attack defensively. Their teams are all physical and violent at times. It is part of the game.....much of the angst on some coaches/teams is born of a successful program and their exploitation of the "Rules".

I look forward to your response as I know that we both support and enjoy the lively discussions available on this Board.

Let's hope for a quiet Corona day and keep the fingers crossed that we will get a chance to see some more games this Spring.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

I wouldn’t consider myself a supporter of Sung or any other coach, per se. I just became aware of how much I was getting irritated at the negative commentary regarding Sung and Kelly Amonte Hiller over the past month or so. I don’t disagree with anything you said, Doc. Very well thought out and interesting post.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”