LA 2028

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

LA 2028

Post by wlaxphan20 »

whyamihere

Re: LA 2028

Post by whyamihere »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:31 am Lacrosse is in!

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/usa-insi ... r-olympics
Sixes is not lacrosse. It was created for specific goal of getting a version of lacrosse in the Olympics.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

whyamihere wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:11 am

Sixes is not lacrosse. It was created for specific goal of getting a version of lacrosse in the Olympics.
I’m well aware that sixes is not the same as the traditional field version of lacrosse.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:26 am

I’m well aware that sixes is not the same as the traditional field version of lacrosse.
why is lacrosse the only sport that had to bastardize itself to get into the Olympics?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

whyamihere wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:42 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:26 am

why is lacrosse the only sport that had to bastardize itself to get into the Olympics?
Rugby 7s, Flag Football, T20 Cricket and 3v3 basketball say hi.

IOC has a total athlete cap which drive a lot of this. Also fewer athletes reduces training costs and stipends which make a difference for smaller counties.

I agree with your point, but it's basically sixes or nothing at all.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

How big will rosters for olympic sixes be and will many of the elite players playing in AU be able to play in 5 years. Or will it be the next generation of great players.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

How will the team be picked? Will USLacrosse be involved? Or will US Olympic committee take control. The politics behind the scene might be a fun story to follow.
DMac

Post by DMac »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:46 am I agree with your point, but it's basically sixes or nothing at all.
Right, so the solution is to bastardize the game, sell the game itself out, appease the casual fan who doesn't give a damn about, or have any respect for, the game in order to squeeze it in the Olympics. The World Games is the Olympics of lacrosse, there was absolutely no need for this. Shame on you keepers of the game, you have $old the game out in the name of the almighty dollar and bright lights.
This is why I have always said I don't give a damn about the casual and his/her ideas of how to fix/improve our game. These are the same fans who will sit for three (and more) hours in the stands to watch a snail's paced sixty minute game of football that takes three hours to play. Gotta do away with the face off to speed the game up is what you'll hear from them, and the keepers of the game listened. Hoops fans who want to turn the game into hoops with sticks, absolutely listened to by the keepers of the game too (takes twenty minutes for the last twelve seconds of a hoops game but they know how to fix our game) and there's constant stoppage in that game but ours needed to be faster paced. Don't like it, the keepers have failed the game, IMO.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:21 pm How will the team be picked? Will USLacrosse be involved? Or will US Olympic committee take control. The politics behind the scene might be a fun story to follow.
Interesting question . Every college coach has some bias. But not sure how else they would choose teams ??
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

DMac wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:24 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:46 am I agree with your point, but it's basically sixes or nothing at all.
Right, so the solution is to bastardize the game, sell the game itself out, appease the casual fan who doesn't give a damn about, or have any respect for, the game in order to squeeze it in the Olympics. The World Games is the Olympics of lacrosse, there was absolutely no need for this. Shame on you keepers of the game, you have $old the game out in the name of the almighty dollar and bright lights.
This is why I have always said I don't give a damn about the casual and his/her ideas of how to fix/improve our game. These are the same fans who will sit for three (and more) hours in the stands to watch a snail's paced sixty minute game of football that takes three hours to play. Gotta do away with the face off to speed the game up is what you'll hear from them, and the keepers of the game listened. Hoops fans who want to turn the game into hoops with sticks, absolutely listened to by the keepers of the game too (takes twenty minutes for the last twelve seconds of a hoops game but they know how to fix our game) and there's constant stoppage in that game but ours needed to be faster paced. Don't like it, the keepers have failed the game, IMO.
Dmac preaches straight fire. Players with lacrosse sticks will be in the Olympics. Whooppee! A game played by nobody anywhere except the Olympics.
Women’s and men’s lax have great tradition and histories. Why bastardize the game just to be in the Olympics??
I just hope we don’t see the real game shrink in the us to help grow sixes….
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

+1
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

The biggest impact will likely be other countries now funding lacrosse programs and bringing up the global lacrosse talent.

However, this also means that 15 years from now, 60% of the kids on college lacrosse programs probably won't be North American anymore. Same thing that happened to tennis and golf once they became olympic sports.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:27 pm
The biggest impact will likely be other countries now funding lacrosse programs and bringing up the global lacrosse talent.

However, this also means that 15 years from now, 60% of the kids on college lacrosse programs probably won't be North American anymore. Same thing that happened to tennis and golf once they became olympic sports.
This is highly unlikely. Tennis and golf much different from lacrosse. I’d put lacrosse more in the baseball, volleyball, swimming, track, basketball category. Mostly Americans on college teams with a few internationals.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:02 pm
+1
Completely agree. It's really just a sad day, that this old, grand, elegant sport has to reduce itself -- its field, its rules, its player numbers -- to fit someone's idea of how to euchre it into the Olympics. Shame on the so-called "keepers of the game."
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Madlax59 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:49 pm
TNLAX wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:21 pm How will the team be picked? Will USLacrosse be involved? Or will US Olympic committee take control. The politics behind the scene might be a fun story to follow.
Interesting question . Every college coach has some bias. But not sure how else they would choose teams ??
USL is the National Governing Body. They run the whole enchilada.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I think it is great to have lacrosse in the Olympics and if the only way to do it is to play sixes, so be it. I've seen the sixes game played up close in person at the highest level and it was very exciting to watch. Obviously the olympic committee felt the same way. It is a step forward in growing the sport globally. I know firsthand that the players are excited. Believe it or not, most of the kids who have played sixes like it as well. The game will not change in the US. This will be a different version of the sport. No need to be so negative
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’m conflicted about the sixes being in the Olympics. I guess I am 51% for and 49% against. Don’t like the bastardized version of the game one bit, but you take what you can get.

Also, isn’t this simply an exhibition sport of the type that the host country gets? Unless I miss my bet, this is one and done for 2028. Of course, the Olympic committee could always add the sport on a permanent basis, but I don’t think they’ve done that yet.

In terms of who picks the team, I would imagine it would go through US lacrosse. Track picks the track team. Basketball picks the basketball team. The Olympic committee doesn’t pick teams as far as I know.

So who gets on the team? Wouldn’t surprise me if some of the longtime stars are given spots (so they can say they are Olympians) as a reward for their long service to the game. This would be at the expense, perhaps, of some of the up and comers. Right? Wrong? Discuss among yourselves.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:02 pm I think it is great to have lacrosse in the Olympics and if the only way to do it is to play sixes, so be it. I've seen the sixes game played up close in person at the highest level and it was very exciting to watch. Obviously the olympic committee felt the same way. It is a step forward in growing the sport globally. I know firsthand that the players are excited. Believe it or not, most of the kids who have played sixes like it as well. The game will not change in the US. This will be a different version of the sport. No need to be so negative
In my opinion, Sixes for men at the highest level is awful. I watched the PLL exhibition this past spring. It’s downright for goalies as the game is dominated by offensive players who shoot 100mph at will.
Haven’t much watched the women’s sixes, much in the same way I couldnt care less about watching 3 on 3 basketball…..
As for why I’m negative: it’s because that this means we’ve given up on the real game—which is a great game that is now being played by 30+ nations—ever being in the Olympics. Why are we so celebratory about sixes? It’s like having 6v 6 soccer in the Olympics rather than 11 v 11 and celebrating that at least the mighty IOC values soccer…
But to each his own.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:07 pm I’m conflicted about the sixes being in the Olympics. I guess I am 51% for and 49% against. Don’t like the bastardized version of the game one bit, but you take what you can get.

Also, isn’t this simply an exhibition sport of the type that the host country gets? Unless I miss my bet, this is one and done for 2028. Of course, the Olympic committee could always add the sport on a permanent basis, but I don’t think they’ve done that yet.

In terms of who picks the team, I would imagine it would go through US lacrosse. Track picks the track team. Basketball picks the basketball team. The Olympic committee doesn’t pick teams as far as I know.

So who gets on the team? Wouldn’t surprise me if some of the longtime stars are given spots (so they can say they are Olympians) as a reward for their long service to the game. This would be at the expense, perhaps, of some of the up and comers. Right? Wrong? Discuss among yourselves.
I agree with NJB's take that we'll take what we can get. Young American girls will still be hugely excited about seeing their sport and their stars in the Olympics.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:20 pm
Lax101 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:02 pm I think it is great to have lacrosse in the Olympics and if the only way to do it is to play sixes, so be it. I've seen the sixes game played up close in person at the highest level and it was very exciting to watch. Obviously the olympic committee felt the same way. It is a step forward in growing the sport globally. I know firsthand that the players are excited. Believe it or not, most of the kids who have played sixes like it as well. The game will not change in the US. This will be a different version of the sport. No need to be so negative
In my opinion, Sixes for men at the highest level is awful. I watched the PLL exhibition this past spring. It’s downright for goalies as the game is dominated by offensive players who shoot 100mph at will.
Haven’t much watched the women’s sixes, much in the same way I couldnt care less about watching 3 on 3 basketball…..
As for why I’m negative: it’s because that this means we’ve given up on the real game—which is a great game that is now being played by 30+ nations—ever being in the Olympics. Why are we so celebratory about sixes? It’s like having 6v 6 soccer in the Olympics rather than 11 v 11 and celebrating that at least the mighty IOC values soccer…
But to each his own.
Completely agree with your assessment, though I thought the championship game was much better when the defensive intensity picked up.

however, the ratings for the PLL winter sixes tourney beat any summer game so I don't think the format is going anywhere. (Though the numbers are likely driven by folks being home for holidays)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”