Affirmative Action Ruling affect on Recruiting in lacrosse

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxrules

Affirmative Action Ruling affect on Recruiting in lacrosse

Post by laxrules »

Does this ruling change recruiting at places that have "slots" for some “lower socioeconomic status" or "under represented communities" recruits?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... ve-action/
smoova

Re: Affirmative Action Ruling affect on Recruiting in lacrosse

Post by smoova »

laxrules wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:03 pm Does this ruling change recruiting at places that have "slots" for some “lower socioeconomic status" or "under represented communities" recruits?

I think it does. I have recent, personal experience with a player of very average ability and low grades/scores who was given a full "slot" at a first-choice NESCAC because (according to his father) the player "satisfied institutional priorities regarding race." Kid rarely sees the field, but the program and the school successfully "diversified." I think that practice will end in the near-term, but eventually be replaced by another, less obvious, proxy for racial diversity.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

laxrules wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:03 pm Does this ruling change recruiting at places that have "slots" for some “lower socioeconomic status" or "under represented communities" recruits?

I don’t see much of a change. From what I read, schools can still look at anything that might have gotten in the way of you being the best
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I thought one of the cases - which seemed to have a lot more meat on it than the other - was a reverse discrimination case.

And that case was at the very highest end of the admissions spectrum, the top xx percent of scholastic applicants.

I really don’t see how this has anything to do with lacrosse,
a minor NCAA / Club / Pro sport - at this point in time.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:52 pm I thought one of the cases - which seemed to have a lot more meat on it than the other - was a reverse discrimination case.

And that case was at the very highest end of the admissions spectrum, the top xx percent of scholastic applicants.

The majority of NESCAC, Ivy and liberal arts college lacrosse coaches have mandates and major incentives for recruiting minorities. Often times they can take lower kids and in some cases their job security is even dependent on the number of minority students they can recruit. That is going to have to shift in some capacity.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:04 pm
10stone5 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:52 pm I thought one of the cases - which seemed to have a lot more meat on it than the other - was a reverse discrimination case.

The majority of NESCAC, Ivy and liberal arts college lacrosse coaches have mandates and major incentives for recruiting minorities. Often times they can take lower kids and in some cases their job security is even dependent on the number of minority students they can recruit. That is going to have to shift in some capacity.
The screwy ruling was on the second case,
or rather the second case in this overall ruling is where I can see a lot of FUBARing as it relates to lacrosse admittance - that I can see a tie-in to the cases you prescribe.

The other case, reverse discrimination of the highest SAT, GPA scores, the 99 percentile - how many recruits fall in that range.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

It will take some adjustments but if the colleges want to have more minorities they'll find ways around it. Targeting inner cities, specific geographic areas or zip codes, low income areas, etc. Those things won't weed out non-minorities, but those tend to be a lot more heavily concentrated with minorities.

And the ruling said how race impacted one's life can still be considered, which on the surface seems like a pretty big loophole to me.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”