RIP Cabrini

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MVPiccoli

RIP Cabrini

Post by MVPiccoli »

https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2023/ ... to-be-sold

To the current and former coaches: Thank you for investing your careers, energy, love, time, and patience into the hundreds of savages that put on that jersey. It was an honor to play for you, to be coached by you, and to know you as men.

To my fellow former players and families: On the field and off, your bonds and joy were palpable. The memories and bus rides will endure. The sounds of cleats on the macadam between the field house and Edith Robb Dixon were heaven.

To the current players: Go get yours wherever you can can get it. You were done dirty. Take that chip and do damage.

As long as I live I'll be grateful Colf!
DeepPocket

Re: RIP Cabrini

Post by DeepPocket »

MVPiccoli wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:31 am https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2023/ ... to-be-sold

To the current and former coaches: Thank you for investing your careers, energy, love, time, and patience into the hundreds of savages that put on that jersey. It was an honor to play for you, to be coached by you, and to know you as men.

To my fellow former players and families: On the field and off, your bonds and joy were palpable. The memories and bus rides will endure. The sounds of cleats on the macadam between the field house and Edith Robb Dixon were heaven.

To the current players: Go get yours wherever you can can get it. You were done dirty. Take that chip and do damage.

As long as I live I'll be grateful Colf!
That’s such a shame man. My heart goes out to all the players, past and present.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

This must be really awful news for all current students, alumni, and everyone in the Cabrini family.

My condolences; this is really rough. Luckily, nothing can tarnish the great education you received.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

As a guy who lost his college program a few years ago my heart goes out to all of the players, coaches, former players and anyone who had anything to do with that program. I’m sure they are all gutted right now.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

This is awful news Just feel so sad for the whole Cabrini community.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

This sucks for the players and families. I believe the transfer portal just closed as well. That's some timing for the announcement.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:06 pm I believe the transfer portal just closed as well.
The transfer portal is not closed
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Here is how IL put it,

The 45-day transfer portal window opened on May 8 after the Division I bracket was unveiled, so undergraduate entrants will need to submit their names by Wednesday, June 21 without having to sit for a year. That window does not apply to prospective grad students.
Leonard Washington

10stone5 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:10 pm Here is how IL put it,

The 45-day transfer portal window opened on May 8 after the Division I bracket was unveiled, so undergraduate entrants will need to submit their names by Wednesday, June 21 without having to sit for a year. That window does not apply to prospective grad students.
Applies to Division I (if you plan on trying to go that route and move up), not D III
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

This is like losing a loved one. We were aware of the financial difficulties, but this is the worst case scenario. It's really hard to swallow. That campus, those stunning acres. That place was flawed like we were, academically, athletically, socially. It was gritty, and not in the overused way. It was this weird thing. We earned everything we got on the field and cheated where we could in the classroom. We played chippy, we weren't blue bloods or saints. We attracted like minded, hard, morally similar people. Mostly Long Island and Delaware County, PA players. Savages, vagabonds, overlooked, underexposed, second chances, dropouts from bigger names. But it served us and we poured ourselves into it. And we loved it, and hated it. We reveled in it. Our connections and relationships were visceral and enduring. Our stories are vulgar and hilarious. The tailgate and post-game in 2019 were filled with the flaws. Beautiful, deep cutting, connective, honest flaws. I loved/love all of it like I do my own children. I wouldn't change anything. I wouldn't change a moment. It was who we were and are.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I thought Eastern University would have folded first.
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

Do Cabrini grads get to say they went to Villanova now? Silver lining if so.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Cabrini's campus is 10x more stunning. Hence the Campell Soup family building a mansion there and not 200 feet below and across Eagle Road. Nova made a choice I'm sure.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

MVPiccoli wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:31 pm This is like losing a loved one. We were aware of the financial difficulties, but this is the worst case scenario. It's really hard to swallow. That campus, those stunning acres. That place was flawed like we were, academically, athletically, socially. It was gritty, and not in the overused way. It was this weird thing. We earned everything we got on the field and cheated where we could in the classroom. We played chippy, we weren't blue bloods or saints. We attracted like minded, hard, morally similar people. Mostly Long Island and Delaware County, PA players. Savages, vagabonds, overlooked, underexposed, second chances, dropouts from bigger names. But it served us and we poured ourselves into it. And we loved it, and hated it. We reveled in it. Our connections and relationships were visceral and enduring. Our stories are vulgar and hilarious. The tailgate and post-game in 2019 were filled with the flaws. Beautiful, deep cutting, connective, honest flaws. I loved/love all of it like I do my own children. I wouldn't change anything. I wouldn't change a moment. It was who we were and are.
Maybe the best post I have ever read on Laxpower or Fanlax Well done.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:08 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:31 pm This is like losing a loved one. We were aware of the financial difficulties, but this is the worst case scenario. It's really hard to swallow. That campus, those stunning acres. That place was flawed like we were, academically, athletically, socially. It was gritty, and not in the overused way. It was this weird thing. We earned everything we got on the field and cheated where we could in the classroom. We played chippy, we weren't blue bloods or saints. We attracted like minded, hard, morally similar people. Mostly Long Island and Delaware County, PA players. Savages, vagabonds, overlooked, underexposed, second chances, dropouts from bigger names. But it served us and we poured ourselves into it. And we loved it, and hated it. We reveled in it. Our connections and relationships were visceral and enduring. Our stories are vulgar and hilarious. The tailgate and post-game in 2019 were filled with the flaws. Beautiful, deep cutting, connective, honest flaws. I loved/love all of it like I do my own children. I wouldn't change anything. I wouldn't change a moment. It was who we were and are.
Maybe the best post I have ever read on Laxpower or Fanlax Well done.
Cabrini will not be the last "shoe to drop" here. Over the next decade expect numerous institutions to succumb to the post pandemic financial reality. I don't expect your average 17 year old lacrosse player will have the wherewithal to adequately assess a prospective institutions financial health - but his parents better do that. Or they risk having to see their own son go through the mess the Cabrini family is going through now and perhaps read their own sons emotionally charged note of pain like the one here by MVP. My condolences MVP - your heart has been laid bare. Well said.
Last edited by Nosey Ned on Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard Washington

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:36 pm
Cabrini will not be the last "shoe to drop" here. Over the next decade expect numerous institutions to succumb to the post pandemic financial reality. I don't expect your average 17 year old lacrosse player will have the wherewithal to adequately access a prospective institutions financial health - but his parents better do that.
+1

It isn't going to be pretty over the next decade for a ton of colleges, especially private (liberal arts) universities
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:36 pm
Cabrini will not be the last "shoe to drop" here. Over the next decade expect numerous institutions to succumb to the post pandemic financial reality. I don't expect your average 17 year old lacrosse player will have the wherewithal to adequately access a prospective institutions financial health - but his parents better do that. Or they risk having to see their own son go through the mess the Cabrini family is going through now and perhaps read their own sons emotionally charged note of pain like the one here by MVP. My condolences MVP - your heart has been laid bare. Well said.
My son is going to a private d3 school next year, in part to play basketball, and you can bet this is/was a concern for us (and something we discussed with him).

That said, this isn't just post-pandemic financial reality; this is part of a more sweeping demographic shift that is projecting an even steeper decline in graduating HS seniors over the next 5+ years (a number that has already been in a gradual decline for a decade).
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Yes, agreed, the pre-pandemic demographics have been foreshadowing lower college attendance for several years. And many institutions would be feeling the pinch already even without Covid. That said, I don't think it's a stretch to say the pandemic, with its introduction of mass remote learning coupled with a huge spike in expenses brought on initially by supply chain issues, then the Ukraine war shock induced commodities prices and higher financing rates, have all contributed to exacerbate in a very meaningful way, an acceleration of the inevitable.
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

relaxedfan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:01 pm Do Cabrini grads get to say they went to Villanova now? Silver lining if so.
No. Villanova acquired the just the campus.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”