Salisbury vs CNU Saturday at 1 pm

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxerr20

Salisbury vs CNU Saturday at 1 pm

Post by laxerr20 »

Thoughts on this game this weekend? Might be the biggest game of Mikey Thompson's career to cement himself as one of the top coaches in the game. The gulls have not lost at home since 2019 semi-final vs Cabrini. The captains are red hot with big wins over RIT, W&L, and Lynchburg in OT last week. Going to be a good one in seagull stadium this weekend!
Noz

Re: Salisbury vs CNU Saturday at 1 pm

Post by Noz »

laxerr20 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:33 am Thoughts on this game this weekend? Might be the biggest game of Mikey Thompson's career to cement himself as one of the top coaches in the game. The gulls have not lost at home since 2019 semi-final vs Cabrini. The captains are red hot with big wins over RIT, W&L, and Lynchburg in OT last week. Going to be a good one in seagull stadium this weekend!
Can't wait!!!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Winner will likely be adorned “king of the south” this year.
Salisbury seems to always play better having gotten one early loss out of the way. I’m going 16-14 Salisbury.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Seems like SU is playing solid. I will take Salisbury by 3-4
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

I’m not writing off Coach B and his Seagulls … especially once the calendar turns to April. Salisbury wins 14-13 in an instant classic.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Beyond excited for this one. We’ve seen some great CNU v. Salisbury matchups over the last few years. We’ve also seen some really big blowouts. I expect this one to be close up until the 4th quarter and I can see either team pulling away by 2 or 3.

The biggest matchups I’ll be watching are Ryan Young and Burke Widhelhm vs. Jude Brown and Cross Ferrera. Max Wayne held Cross to 3 goals on 16 shots against CNU last year. Only one of those were on Wayne. If Young/Widhelm can hold their own against those 2 attackman, I can see CNU coming out with a victory. If those 2 attackman have big days though, then I have the Gulls by a few.

Cabannis dominated the X last year against these guys(37/55 and 21 GBS in 2 games). The Gulls will need to find a way to steal some possessions back.

If CNU wins, this will be their first ever win at Seagull Stadium and it will also be Mikey Thompson’s 100th win. Quite the feat for such a young coach.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:49 am Winner will likely be adorned “king of the south” this year.
Salisbury seems to always play better having gotten one early loss out of the way. I’m going 16-14 Salisbury.
If CNU wins I will be ready for the coronation of the King. If Salisbury wins Gettysburg may have something to say about that!
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

A win from the captains would be nice here, but as a program who hasn’t won a conference championship since Salisbury has been in their conference, a win there would be more impressive.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Oaklax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:10 pm A win from the captains would be nice here, but as a program who hasn’t won a conference championship since Salisbury has been in their conference, a win there would be more impressive.
Even if CNU loses tomorrow, they will play them again for the conference championship, unless a huge upset occurs in the semis. The likelihood of that it slim.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Salisbury having the best Quarter all season. Best time to do it against the #1 team. CNU is still on the bus driving here. Careless mistakes and sloppy passes.
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

CNU has just quit.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Maybe deja vu…. CNU crushes Salisbury last year in the season and maybe we see CNU beat them in the conference championship this year. A week off I guess didn’t help…
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Well CNU finally got exposed, big time. They can be lethal in transition, but when they aren't winning face-offs and controlling possession, things get ugly for them on both sides of the ball. Credit to Salisbury for coming out with an excellent game plan and excellent execution. They nullified every strength CNU has and dominated the game start to finish. This game was nowhere near as close as the final score might suggest.

The difference between watching SU's offense operate vs. CNU's was dramatic. Gulls had great ball movement and confidence. CNU looked like they were playing in quick sand. Very little movement, no one dodging with purpose, everyone waiting for someone else to make a play. SU defense was rock solid and made Cook a non-factor.

Interesting note: CNU blew out SU in similar fashion last year during the regular season, then lost to them at home in the conference championship. CNU fans will need to hope they switch roles this time around. The big question is...what the heck has happened to Warner Cabaniss?
Noz

Post by Noz »

Very shocked when saw this score. Truly did not expect such an outcome.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Very shocked by the outcome of this score. CNU should be embarrassed by how they played .. they looked like they didn’t even want to be there for the first 3 quarters and then finally woke up when it was wayyyyy too late.

The big thing in this game was Face-Offs. The last time we saw CNU get dominated at the X like that was against a guy with the last name Malamphy.. maybe dominating CNU at FO’s runs in the family.

Since Salisbury dominated the possession time, they were able to make CNU play their style of game, which is very very slow. This wore down the Captains defense and forced the CNU offense to make dumb mistakes because they were trying to score quickly and catch up. Credit to Salisbury for completely locking off Cook, he had 1 goal on 1 shot and that was it. Pretty smart move that I’m surprised other teams haven’t been doing. As a fan, I hate when teams do that because we don’t get to truly watch the best player play, but as a coach/player it totally makes sense due to its effectiveness.

Credit to Salisbury for coming out with a great game plan and executing it to perfection. Defazio is probably the best LSM in the country.. he’s beatable 1 on 1, but his play between the lines is absolutely insane. It feels like he comes out of every scrum with the ball.

I assume their will be a rematch in the conference finals between these two teams and I see it being a lot closer if CNU rolls out Evans at the FO the whole game(he went 9-17). The Captains need to figure out how to win a game at Seagull stadium. As a program, they are 2-4 at home vs Salisbury with an average score of 12-8 in favor of the gulls. Away… They are 0-10 with an average score of 18-7 in favor of the gulls.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”