Cazenovia College plans on closing before 2023 fall semester

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

https://cnycentral.com/news/local/cazen ... nD8lMgE0YM

Its a sad day when a program drops lacrosse but when an entire school closes... You gotta feel for those kids.
laxdad30

Re: Cazenovia College plans on closing before 2023 fall semester

Post by laxdad30 »

Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

"The population of college-aged individuals has been and continues to shrink making it hard for small private colleges like Cazenovia to maintain enrollment levels." Quote from the press report. Hope we don't see a trend of schools closing in the coming years, D2 and D3 would be greatly impacted.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Laxaholic123 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:51 am "The population of college-aged individuals has been and continues to shrink making it hard for small private colleges like Cazenovia to maintain enrollment levels." Quote from the press report. Hope we don't see a trend of schools closing in the coming years, D2 and D3 would be greatly impacted.
We will, there are going to be a lot of college closings and/or mergers.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:52 am
Laxaholic123 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:51 am "The population of college-aged individuals has been and continues to shrink making it hard for small private colleges like Cazenovia to maintain enrollment levels." Quote from the press report. Hope we don't see a trend of schools closing in the coming years, D2 and D3 would be greatly impacted.
This will absolutely happen. Rising prices are causing college to be out of range for middle class families. Politicians talking about giving free college to select groups, essentially rising taxes on everyone. Many state colleges will eventually be competing with free communities colleges. Add all of the politics on campus. It turns a lot of young people away. Every college that we met with in the recruiting process, was down with enrollment.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Schools with modest endowments and large debt loads were in a precarious position pre pandemic. Cazenovia's situation is not unique based on the formula Forbes uses to measure financial strength, although the wave of closures some predicted has not come to pass.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawhitfo ... 30f8e6ffad
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Jumbo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:09 am
LacrosseFan33 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:52 am
This will absolutely happen. Rising prices are causing college to be out of range for middle class families. Politicians talking about giving free college to select groups, essentially rising taxes on everyone. Many state colleges will eventually be competing with free communities colleges. Add all of the politics on campus. It turns a lot of young people away. Every college that we met with in the recruiting process, was down with enrollment.
I can't speak to any of these policies, but I believe the problem is two-fold. One is that Covid put the spotlight on how terrible many schools truly are, and missing the "full college experience" triggered many students to consider other options.

Another huge factor is the oncoming population decline stemming from the 2008 recession. There is a huge drop off in the number of eligible college students coming down the pipeline. This is causing many small schools to project out a bleak future.

Vox has a nice write up on it: https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/23428 ... tion-crash
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Hate to see this, obviously no love for Casenovia..................

valaxfan
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Jumbo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:09 am Add all of the politics on campus. It turns a lot of young people away.
I don't even understand what this means...
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

laxpert wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:58 am Schools with modest endowments and large debt loads were in a precarious position pre pandemic. Cazenovia's situation is not unique based on the formula Forbes uses to measure financial strength, although the wave of closures some predicted has not come to pass.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawhitfo ... 30f8e6ffad
Yeah, I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Colleges closing isn't a new thing; going back decades, and even longer, every year a handful of colleges have shuttered their door. There seemed to be a small spike around the end of the COVID lockdown, but nowhere near as dire as some were predicting. The next few years should provide much insight into the long-term viability of many colleges on the lower echelons of that Forbes list.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

valaxfan wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:40 pm Hate to see this, obviously no love for Casenovia..................

valaxfan
Just curious: Why is that?

I grew up in and went to college in upstate NY; I really know little about CC. I think I graduated with a guy who went there but we lost touch after high school.
richard

Post by richard »

I'll bet that there are some Colgate grads that have a soft spot in their heart for Caz!! I do too.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

I grew up on Chittenango. Graduated from Chitt. Caz HS was a rival in football. I had a few friends attend College there. Caz College was the first place I watched lacrosse.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

ICGrad wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm
Jumbo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:09 am Add all of the politics on campus. It turns a lot of young people away.
Many colleges are now seen as indoctrination centers and test beds for political ideologies. See the Vassar lax debacle.

Kids are getting pulled unwittingly into politics. Many parents aren’t gonna pay to send their kids off to live in an environment that may be the opposite of their ideals for 4-5 years. Yet alone for the prices some of these schools are asking.

And let’s be honest, there are a ton of mediocre to bad 4 year colleges/universities. Simply not worth the cost.

I’d also add that a college degree is still necessary in todays world, but the return on investment is now considered. Families are realizing a degree from many of the colleges aren’t always worth the added debt when there are much much cheaper ways to get a comparable degree.

ie: Send your kid to cheap community college to do your core classes and get an AA. Then only pay for 2 years when you enroll at a 4 year to get the same BA or BS. For half the price.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:43 pm
ICGrad wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm
Many colleges are now seen as indoctrination centers and test beds for political ideologies. See the Vassar lax debacle.

Kids are getting pulled unwittingly into politics. Many parents aren’t gonna pay to send their kids off to live in an environment that may be the opposite of their ideals for 4-5 years. Yet alone for the prices some of these schools are asking.

And let’s be honest, there are a ton of mediocre to bad 4 year colleges/universities. Simply not worth the cost.

I’d also add that a college degree is still necessary in todays world, but the return on investment is now considered. Families are realizing a degree from many of the colleges aren’t always worth the added debt when there are much much cheaper ways to get a comparable degree.

ie: Send your kid to cheap community college to do your core classes and get an AA. Then only pay for 2 years when you enroll at a 4 year to get the same BA or BS. For half the price.
Vassar? I can totally see it happening there, but haven’t heard anything about it. What happened?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

There is a whole thread about it.
President firing/hiring coaches and holding college kids hostage for political agendas.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:20 pm There is a whole thread about it.
President firing/hiring coaches and holding college kids hostage for political agendas.
I’ll have to check that out, thanks!
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:20 pm There is a whole thread about it.
Went back 5 years and searched Vassar. couldnt find the thread.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I apologize. I meant Amherst, but kept saying Vassar.

It goes back further too. The local newspaper articles about the topic are interesting.

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... st#p151570
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:02 pm I apologize. I meant Amherst, but kept saying Vassar.

It goes back further too. The local newspaper articles about the topic are interesting.

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... st#p151570
Easy mistake to make--pretty much the only difference is that Amherst is in a weaker conference.

;)

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”