ODAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Bert Macklin

ODAC 2023

Post by Bert Macklin »

Saw some team specific forums thought I'd go ahead and make a conference group!
Ol'Southlacrosse

Re: ODAC 2023

Post by Ol'Southlacrosse »

I have heard a lot of buzz around hsc number 32, don't know much about him can anyone fill me in?
allthingsODAC

Post by allthingsODAC »

Avertt in the ODAC now?
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

allthingsODAC wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:41 pm Avertt in the ODAC now?
Yes they are
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

This is not good news from a lacrosse standpoint. Another poor team that all will be required to play. It will hurt the strength of schedule for the top teams trying to get a NCAA bid.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

JustOneTime wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:49 pm This is not good news from a lacrosse standpoint. Another poor team that all will be required to play. It will hurt the strength of schedule for the top teams trying to get a NCAA bid.
Agreed. It seems to me that the quality of the top ODAC teams has decreased as the number of lacrosse teams in the conference has increased. Perhaps the conference could go to a divisional format where each team does not play every other team in the conference.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

GeneralBart wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:59 pm Perhaps the conference could go to a divisional format where each team does not play every other team in the conference.
This is fun to think about,
East:
RMC
VWC
HSC
BC
Averett
Shenandoah

West:
Lynchburg
W&L
Noke
Guilford
Ferum
Randolph

Non-lax:
East: EMU
West: Hollins, Sweet Briar

This is just based on a general look at a map, I am sure there would be a lot to consider if this was to happen.
Anyone have a different/better way to arrange them?
Last edited by Laxaholic123 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

GeneralBart wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:59 pm
JustOneTime wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:49 pm This is not good news from a lacrosse standpoint. Another poor team that all will be required to play. It will hurt the strength of schedule for the top teams trying to get a NCAA bid.
Agreed. It seems to me that the quality of the top ODAC teams has decreased as the number of lacrosse teams in the conference has increased. Perhaps the conference could go to a divisional format where each team does not play every other team in the conference.
Mens lacrosse is going to a weighted schedule in 2023. I am not sure what the divisions are but it is split along the lines of traditional performance. The top teams on each side will not play all of the bottom teams on the other side.

Example.

Lynchburg
Ferrum
Averett

W&L
Guilford
Randolph

Lynchburg would not play Randolph. W&L would not play Averett.

That is the general jist of the weighted schedule.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

Thanks for the insight. Do you know how many conference games will be scheduled during the regular season?
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

GeneralBart wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:53 pm Thanks for the insight. Do you know how many conference games will be scheduled during the regular season?
I believe each team will play 9 conference games and as per the prior post by InsideRoll, the conference will stack rank.
Most teams open the season with non-conference games and April will likely be all "in conference" games.
Leonard Washington

With the addition of Averett, I wonder if they will stay at 7 teams in the playoffs or add another team to make it an even 8?
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Bert Macklin

Post by Bert Macklin »

Leonard Washington wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:28 pm With the addition of Averett, I wonder if they will stay at 7 teams in the playoffs or add another team to make it an even 8?
Tough because it doesn't feel like there is 8 playoff caliber teams. I guess the argument could have been made for having both Shenandoah and Bridgewater in the playoffs but realistically neither team is going to make it that far. If they do though then the it gives 1 and 2 seed a nice break.
Leonard Washington

Bert Macklin wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:37 pm
Tough because it doesn't feel like there is 8 playoff caliber teams. I guess the argument could have been made for having both Shenandoah and Bridgewater in the playoffs but realistically neither team is going to make it that far. If they do though then the it gives 1 and 2 seed a nice break.
Selfishly I think it should stay at 7. The Bridgewater and Shenandoah (play in) game was a great one. I do understand that Roanoke took care of them 2 days later, but imagine if W&J and Lynchburg had to play Guilford (would have been the 8 seed) and Shenandoah. Plus with the current format you reward the #1 seed and #2 seed with more time off/rest before they get things started in the ODAC tourney.
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

Bert Macklin wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:37 pm
Leonard Washington wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:28 pm With the addition of Averett, I wonder if they will stay at 7 teams in the playoffs or add another team to make it an even 8?
In 2021, Bridgewater beat Roanoke in the quarterfinal to advance to the semi-final. Shenandoah and Bridgewater are relatively young programs compared to W&L, Lynchburg, HS & Roanoke, who have consistently been in the top four. Add Randolph-Macon (who have been up/down over the years) and one could argue there are seven playoff caliber teams with some struggling programs behind them.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Another year of top 4 ODAC teams battling.
Maybe RMC or Bridgewater will surprise ?

HSC loses Clagett and Duffy but talent does return on O. Morgan back to lead defense but did I count only 40 on their roster? That seems light…

W&L graduate 13. D, SSDM and Spags. May be tough to replace.. Witherall also hard to replace.. Freshman class looks promising but could be a long year.

NOKE returns experience and a couple transfers may give LYN the toughest test.. is the younger Kammerman an impact player?

LYN has eye on hat trick ODAC crown.
Defense will be better. Lose 1 pole but Zingo and Marindin are both returning and lots of talent will compete. Ulrich is a big talented pole and Chip Quinn if healthy could fill
All 3 LSMs return led by Darminio who may be I. The run I g for 1st team AA. Palma is so good I wonder if Shuster will drop to close D?
Both goalies return. Hadley took starting roll last year but Patrick Moore will want it back..
Nestor was stating SSDM who returns. They lose Robertson and Martin, who steps into assist roll. Plenty of athletes to fill those spots. Thinking Olmstead and Zacharias will be ready after a good Freshman years. VMI transfer Barnes too but not sure if all back..
FO will improve with Kraus returning
Midfield returns Mitchell, Dylan Wolfe and Ian McCarthy Plenty of talent including Voight, Cooling, Kirkland and Conner Moore..
Attack may be the weak link. Jake Rust returns but Lewis and Kenny graduated, they were 1&2 Leading scorers. Lewis all time LUN assist man.. Charlie Evans, Logan Lamont are capable and I wonder if Dylan Wolfe will return to attack?
LYN brings in new assistant coach from Bates. Colin McGuire and Lombardo move on to Richmond and Dartmouth..
16 excellent recruits are checked in
LYN schedule is another good one. Salisbury, CNU, trip to Tufts, Cabrini, St. Lawrence and. F&M at Mustang and Stevenson. They will be ready for ODAC play.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

The playoffs should remain at 7 teams. It makes the regular season games more meaningful knowing the top two teams get to sit out the first round and rest up.

I didn't realize that Lynchburg was bringing back most of their team. They will be a force and certainly favored to three-peat.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JustOneTime wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:15 am The playoffs should remain at 7 teams. It makes the regular season games more meaningful knowing the top two teams get to sit out the first round and rest up.

I didn't realize that Lynchburg was bringing back most of their team. They will be a force and certainly favored to three-peat.
In regards to Lynchburg I’d say that’s a homer post if there ever was one. The majority of those players have no experience and didn’t play meaningful minutes. Returning 2 goalies who struggled most of last year is hardly an accomplishment. So listing them as meaningful returners holds little weight. Here a less objective look. Using 14 starters (3A, 3M, 3D, 1G, 1LSM, 2DM, 1FO).

Lynchburg
Returning starters: 9/14 Starters
Points Returning: 50.8%
Key Departures: Kyle Lewis, A (HM AA, 94pts), Ryan Kenney, A (HM AA, 77pts), Brett Rogers (34pts), Marshall Rodengast, D(67 career games)
Key Returners: Chris Darminio, LSM (HM AA), Riley Mitchell, M (HM AA, 56pts), Jake Rust, A (44pts), Dylan Wolffe, M (38pts), Ian McCarthy, A/M (21pts), Henri Marindin, D
Analysis: Last year Lynchburg took a step back as did the rest of the league. They lose 2 of their marquee stars on offense. Wolff, Mitchell, and Rust anchor a good core on offense, however the question marks lie on attack. The defense and goaltending will need to improve drastically to return to a top 10 caliber team. I see this as a rebuilding year for the Hornets - maybe the most vulnerable they’ve been on paper in a long time.

Washington and Lee
Returning Starters: 7/14 Starters
Points Returning: 64.1%
Key Departures: Nick Spagnoletti, G (2nd AA), Teddy Bentley, SSDM (HM AA), Michael Horgan, D (HM AA), Taylor Witherell, A (58pts), Tommy MacCowatt, M (31pts)
Key Returners: Harris Hubbard, D (2nd AA), Matt Gallagher, FO (HM AA), Alex Brown, A (34pts), Michael Ott, A (35pts), Henry Holliday, M (29pts), Hudson Pokorny, A (26pts), Hillis Burns (19pts - missed half season), Boots Lackey, LSM (19 starts)
Analysis: Their offense is only going to better after an abysmal 2022. A lot guys saw meaningful time on that side of the ball so expect them to be better - not necessarily a strong offense though. The defense has the most to replace, but they return all 3 of their LSMs who played every game and 2nd Team AA Harris Hubbard, the best pole in the ODAC. The defense is extremely well coached and if they can find a serviceable replacement for Spagnoletti they likely have the best defense in the ODAC again. I’d expect them to be the same caliber or better this year as 2022.

Hampden-Sydney
Returning Starters: 9/14 Starters
Points Returning: 63.7%
Key Departures: Bobby Clagett, A (HM AA, 74pts), Sean Duffy, M (2nd AA, 64pts), Will Perry, G (HM AA), Greyson Ackway, D
Rey Returners: Ray O’Brien, A (70pts), Nick Morgan, D (3rd AA), Ford Burke, A (33pts), Patrick Saunders, M (27pts), Michael Leone, M (14pts), Jack Fechter, D (20 starts)
Analysis: In some ways they looks similar to W&L on paper. They lose two dynamic offensive players, that together created 1/3 of their teams overall shot production. O’Brien is a strong returner, however the rest of their offensive returners really struggled to produce against quality opponents. Those players will improve, however like W&L I fail to see an offensive threat that opponents really need to prep for. Morgan should be able to anchor a good defense, however if FOs do not improve and Perry can’t even the possession battle this will be a tough year for the Tigers.

Roanoke
Starters Returning: 13/14
Points Returning: 86.1%
Key Returners: Luke Kammerman, A (HM AA, 111pts), Luca Docking, A (65pts), Wyatt Whitlow, A (66pts), John Dias, LSM (68gbs), Ethan Caldwell, M (47pts), RT Williamson, D (20 Starts), Sean Kennedy, A (27pts), Trevor Stocks, M (17pts)
Key Losses: George Gilbert, M (58pts)
Analysis: Roanoke should easily have the best offense in the ODAC. Led by Kammerman, probably the best player in the conference and strong core of offensive players I’d expect them to put up a lot of points. The defense needs to drastically improve in 2023, this unit really struggled against good teams. They also were a below average clearing team in 2022. I’d expect them to move up a step this year, however their issues typically lie with the ability to play discipline and stay out of their own way, if they can overcome those issues then they may be a top 20 team. If they can’t it’ll be like 2022.

These 4 teams all look to be about similar caliber this year, all though lots of storylines will unfold over the next 9 months.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Thanks for this analysis. The FOGO is such a critical element of each team and you did not really touch on those guys. I'd say Kraus from Lynchburg is the best returner. W&L and Noke used a combination of guys who were at times good but not very consistent. Hampden Sydney will need to figure out that position for sure. As you noted the Roanoke D struggled against better opponents last year but they are all returning and should improve. The SSDM position is another group that gets overlooked. I think W&L had the best group last year with Bentley leading the way. They will miss him for sure. I think the team that can produce the best set of SSDM's and FOGO should lead the way in 2023.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:01 pm
Roanoke
Key Returners: Luke Kammerman, A (HM AA, 111pts), Luca Docking, A (65pts), Wyatt Whitlow, A (66pts), John Dias, LSM (68gbs), Ethan Caldwell, M (47pts), RT Williamson, D (20 Starts), Sean Kennedy, A (27pts), Trevor Stocks, M (17pts)
Analysis: Roanoke should easily have the best offense in the ODAC. Led by Kammerman, probably the best player in the conference and strong core of offensive players I’d expect them to put up a lot of points. The defense needs to drastically improve in 2023, this unit really struggled against good teams. They also were a below average clearing team in 2022. I’d expect them to move up a step this year, however their issues typically lie with the ability to play discipline and stay out of their own way, if they can overcome those issues then they may be a top 20 team. If they can’t it’ll be like 2022.
Great analysis, thanks.
With regard to Roanoke, they lose Stocks who transferred out, and add a pole from Siena and a midfielder from Canisius, each of whom come in as sophomores and neither of whom played a significant role at their respective prior schools. Other than Kammerman's younger brother, who is very talented, I don't know anything about the incoming class.

I think this season is an interesting test for Lynchburg: are they able to be consistently great year to year while losing significant talent, like a Tufts? I think the same question is posed to CNU this season, who lose a ton of important players.

That young Roanoke team from a few years ago is now a Juniors/Seniors team with quite a bit of experience and a familiarity with each other that can only yield good results on the field. They will struggle again, however, if they can't improve their defensive play, as well as their faceoff performance. If they shore things up in those areas, it could be one of those years for Roanoke IMO.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JBFortunato wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:25 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:01 pm
Roanoke
Great analysis, thanks.
With regard to Roanoke, they lose Stocks who transferred out, and add a pole from Siena and a midfielder from Canisius, each of whom come in as sophomores and neither of whom played a significant role at their respective prior schools. Other than Kammerman's younger brother, who is very talented, I don't know anything about the incoming class.

I think this season is an interesting test for Lynchburg: are they able to be consistently great year to year while losing significant talent, like a Tufts? I think the same question is posed to CNU this season, who lose a ton of important players.

That young Roanoke team from a few years ago is now a Juniors/Seniors team with quite a bit of experience and a familiarity with each other that can only yield good results on the field. They will struggle again, however, if they can't improve their defensive play, as well as their faceoff performance. If they shore things up in those areas, it could be one of those years for Roanoke IMO.
The Siena transfer to Roanoke should be noted it was a walk-on player who didn’t make the team. He was never actually a Siena lacrosse player. So I’ll wait to count him as an impact player.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”