ESPN Crew is Unlistenable

D1 Mens Lacrosse

ESPN Crew is Unlistenable

Post by 1766 »

Carcaterra is ok but the other two are just terrible. ESPN should never let the three of them do the same game. Between the feed cutting out every 2 minutes and those three, it's unlistenable. Turning the channel is the only option.
CU77

Re: ESPN Crew is Unlistenable

Post by CU77 »

Anish is good when not paired with one of the two clowns (or, as in this case, both). Anish and Ryan Boyle are are very good together. I actually learn stuff from Boyle's breakdowns of plays.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

The entire product sux.

And they have the gall to charge for it. Shameless.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Watched the Lehigh BU game the guys were great, turned on the clown show and was immediately annoyed. Worst announcers in sports literally had to turn it off. The constant babbling, it’s brutal.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

This sport will never be taken seriously by the general public with these three out front. Carc is the worst. Clown show.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Simple. Compare them to other former players turned lead analysts for their respective sports.

Does Jay Bilas talk about his playing career, college bars, etc during hoops games? Nope.

Does Kirk Herbstreit discuss spend time every broadcast harkening back to his glory days when he was big man on campus? Of course not.

Until you can get guys in the booth that take it seriously, the viewer won’t. Ryan Boyle, Evan Washburn, Joe Beninati, etc run circles around the clown show of Anish, ReLaxin with Carc, and Quint.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:59 pm Anish is good when not paired with one of the two clowns (or, as in this case, both). Anish and Ryan Boyle are are very good together. I actually learn stuff from Boyle's breakdowns of plays.
Yep. always pleased to learn it is Boyle in the booth, because he points out some of the many things I'm missing. The Haircuts, Glory Days and college bars, not so much.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:38 am
CU77 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:59 pm Anish is good when not paired with one of the two clowns (or, as in this case, both). Anish and Ryan Boyle are are very good together. I actually learn stuff from Boyle's breakdowns of plays.
Yep. always pleased to learn it is Boyle in the booth, because he points out some of the many things I'm missing. The Haircuts, Glory Days and college bars, not so much.
What the players’ parent cook is also a highlight…. Sammy’s in Mineola makes a lights out chicken cutlet.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Whoever was doing the PL playoffs yesterday on CBS Soorts were fantastic.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Evan Washburn was one.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:35 am Simple. Compare them to other former players turned lead analysts for their respective sports.

Does Jay Bilas talk about his playing career, college bars, etc during hoops games? Nope.

Does Kirk Herbstreit discuss spend time every broadcast harkening back to his glory days when he was big man on campus? Of course not.

Until you can get guys in the booth that take it seriously, the viewer won’t. Ryan Boyle, Evan Washburn, Joe Beninati, etc run circles around the clown show of Anish, ReLaxin with Carc, and Quint.
ReLaxin with Carc, even if he’s a nice guy in the real world, is shameful for an adult to be a part of. Truly lame and pathetic.

But, Jay Bills talking about “wingspan” ad nauseum and don’t forget Dicky V, Chris Berman, etc. They learned from the pioneers in the money sports to be fair.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Dom Starsia’s broadcasts are nicely done. Good mix of basic and advanced insights. Very astute to substitution patterns and strategies as you would expect from someone with his experience. Would like to see him move up but this may be just a hobby side gig (and he has earned it).
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:08 am Evan Washburn was one.
I agree that the contrast between the Big 10 and CBS Sports broadcasts and ESPN are night and day. I watched the GU Loyola game and parts of the BET and Patriot tourney games and they were great broadcasts. The focus was on the game and the programs and not on nonsensical things. The announcers praised great play, noted what was not working without berating a kid, and did not pimp the players like ESPN does.

And once again, on the Ivy tourney broadcast last night, the ESPN crew was whining about the calamity of their beloved Blue Devils or Golden Domers missing the tourney due to the unfair RPU. They cannot conceive that the ACC as a whole is down, and the Ivys are far better this year, or that non-insider programs like Rutgers or Georgetown are ascending.

Objectively there is no complaint if Duke or ND miss the tourney this year. They are great programs but in the modern game with greater and more dispersed talent, it is not a sin to miss the tourney. My suspicion is that ESPN is worried that the ascent of the Ivys and the RU/GU type teams will lead to greater recruiting success by those teams, who do not have the ESPN ACC Network deals. Georgetown already has a good class in 2022 and a great 2023 class, and has done well in the transfer portal with guys like Petkevich last year, Bowen/Trippi/Morin next year, and already have Danny Hincks for next year.
Last edited by Jldlax on Sat May 07, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Do people really think the announcer is getting Pre production notes and direction to bid all comments towards the ACC because they have the deal and would be otherwise SOL if other programs succeeded?

I understand it’s not the best to listen to but some of these conspiracy theories are a bit myopic in the larger world of sports and entertainment.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:27 am Do people really think the announcer is getting Pre production notes and direction to bid all comments towards the ACC because they have the deal and would be otherwise SOL if other programs succeeded?

I understand it’s not the best to listen to but some of these conspiracy theories are a bit myopic in the larger world of sports and entertainment.

It is not a “conspiracy theory” to suggest that Disney/ESPN may take their financial interests into account in putting out content. ESPN fawns over the ACC in general as it is their cash cow, and one wonders if this trickles down to their lacrosse contract. It is a natural, common thing to promote what you put out…

In the Ivy game last night , they put up the a graphic of top games of the weekend, which included the BE, Patriot and BIg 10 finals. Also on the graphic was Duke - ND and the ACC Woman’s final, and the three headed monster spoke only of the two ACC games. Just sayin’…
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Corey and Heningburg are doing a very nice job on the MAAC final, and Marist’s comm department is having no problem feeding the video to ESPN.

Can we move these announcers and Marist’s production people to Providence for tomorrow, or the Ivy final to Poughkeepsie?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Quint has been far less ACC-centric this year than past years. Is it due to his departure from IL, or is he just calling it like he sees it? I don't know, but I've noticed it.

Carc last night and for the past few games has been too vocal about the ACC. Anish last night actually corrected him and said something about how people complain about the same thing in previous years because of the benefit the ACC normally gets from the RPI.

I don't think it's an explicit "be a homer for the ACC." But they do stan quite a bit for the ACC. It was so bad last year that it became a season-long joke.

But...if I'm hanging out with one guy in the whole of the lacrosse world media for a night, it's Carc. He's a genuine dude.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:34 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:27 am Do people really think the announcer is getting Pre production notes and direction to bid all comments towards the ACC because they have the deal and would be otherwise SOL if other programs succeeded?

It is not a “conspiracy theory” to suggest that Disney/ESPN may take their financial interests into account in putting out content. ESPN fawns over the ACC in general as it is their cash cow, and one wonders if this trickles down to their lacrosse contract. It is a natural, common thing to promote what you put out…

In the Ivy game last night , they put up the a graphic of top games of the weekend, which included the BE, Patriot and BIg 10 finals. Also on the graphic was Duke - ND and the ACC Woman’s final, and the three headed monster spoke only of the two ACC games. Just sayin’…
Its hard not to think there is something to this. Thinking back to a game recently where Anish asked Quint who the biggest challengers to Maryland might be. Quint mentioned Georgetown and Yale and Anish was like, "but what about Virginia and Notre Dame". Didn't even engage with what Quint was saying. It was like "uhh, thats not part of the script". Maybe he just doesn't know enough about other teams to talk about them.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:03 am Quint has been far less ACC-centric this year than past years. Is it due to his departure from IL, or is he just calling it like he sees it? I don't know, but I've noticed it.

Carc last night and for the past few games has been too vocal about the ACC. Anish last night actually corrected him and said something about how people complain about the same thing in previous years because of the benefit the ACC normally gets from the RPI.

I don't think it's an explicit "be a homer for the ACC." But they do stan quite a bit for the ACC. It was so bad last year that it became a season-long joke.

But...if I'm hanging out with one guy in the whole of the lacrosse world media for a night, it's Carc. He's a genuine dude.
Quint has always been more the call it like he sees it type, whether you agree with him or not. I' still think he's been a little too bullish on the ACC teams in his rankings and in things like mentioning all of the 1-goal Ivy league wins. But he has at least been steadfast and objective in his belief that based on the criteria it should and will be 5 Ivy teams, and only 1-2 ACC teams in the tournament. I consider his criticisms of the RPI to be more in good faith because he has had some questions about it in past years.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

rolldodge wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:07 am
Jldlax wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:34 am

Its hard not to think there is something to this. Thinking back to a game recently where Anish asked Quint who the biggest challengers to Maryland might be. Quint mentioned Georgetown and Yale and Anish was like, "but what about Virginia and Notre Dame". Didn't even engage with what Quint was saying. It was like "uhh, thats not part of the script". Maybe he just doesn't know enough about other teams to talk about them.
I think this is more applicable.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”