Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
xxxxxxx

Re: MAAC 2022

Post by xxxxxxx »

Such a hard league to predict with such parody. Many of the teams were loaded up with fifth-year guys last year. Obviously, those guys are gone, Monmouth was clearly the class of the conference in 2021 but lost a lot. Marist had a really tough task with their administration not letting them play or practice until very late. St Bonaventure is a classic fourth-year team with lots of upperclassmen with real experience. Siena is much improved and Manhattan, Quinnipiac, Canisius I just don't know. I am pretty sure Detroit Mercy has left the MAAC, so I guess I'm saying this thing is wide open, as usual.
Tonyp2566

Post by Tonyp2566 »

Marist only loses 2 starters from last years team that was only stopped by their administration. They also welcome back top mid Lyons who missed last season. Would have to think their the favorite especially with a new school president who hopefully doesn’t hate all sports not called basketball as much as the last one.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:54 am Such a hard league to predict with such parody. Many of the teams were loaded up with fifth-year guys last year. Obviously, those guys are gone, Monmouth was clearly the class of the conference in 2021 but lost a lot. Marist had a really tough task with their administration not letting them play or practice until very late. St Bonaventure is a classic fourth-year team with lots of upperclassmen with real experience. Siena is much improved and Manhattan, Quinnipiac, Canisius I just don't know. I am pretty sure Detroit Mercy has left the MAAC, so I guess I'm saying this thing is wide open, as usual.
SBU Will be top two w Dobson and the rising soph FR og the year who’s name escapes me at the moment.
lilax

Post by lilax »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:54 am Such a hard league to predict with such parody. Many of the teams were loaded up with fifth-year guys last year. Obviously, those guys are gone, Monmouth was clearly the class of the conference in 2021 but lost a lot. Marist had a really tough task with their administration not letting them play or practice until very late. St Bonaventure is a classic fourth-year team with lots of upperclassmen with real experience. Siena is much improved and Manhattan, Quinnipiac, Canisius I just don't know. I am pretty sure Detroit Mercy has left the MAAC, so I guess I'm saying this thing is wide open, as usual.
Siena is improved?

They didn't win a game playing an All MAAC schedule.

I understand that they played some close games. But winless is still winless.
Tonyp2566

Post by Tonyp2566 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:55 pm
SBU Will be top two w Dobson and the rising soph FR og the year who’s name escapes me at the moment.
He might be the best goalie in the nation. I know the blue blood programs will laugh at that comment but wait till after the season when their all lining up for him.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Tonyp2566 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 pm
He might be the best goalie in the nation. I know the blue blood programs will laugh at that comment but wait till after the season when their all lining up for him.
Nobody’s laughing.

Two obvious examples,
Mike Adler, Dillon Ward,

neither were exactly IL top 100’s,
so,
you never know.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

lilax wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:30 pm
Siena is improved?

They didn't win a game playing an All MAAC schedule.

I understand that they played some close games. But winless is still winless.
I don’t think they are contenders but lost to MAAC Champs twice last year by a goal, I think they are improving and moving in the right direction.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

With the abbreviated past 2 seasons and not all rosters sorted, it's very hard to make any sort of predictions. It could be a year where 4 teams get first place votes in the coaches' preseason poll. Instead will just write some thoughts on each team.

Manhattan - Had the best covid luck of 2021 and earned the #1 seed in the conference tournament. The program has been on a slow but steady rise since Coach Kelleher arrived. First team All MAAC GK Krebs returns, but think the overall talent of the roster is still pretty far behind some of the other teams.

Monmouth - The 2021 champions lose the most to graduation, Hervada using his 5th year at Villanova hurts. However, Coach Fisher has proven that his team will probably be in the mix. Stratton will be heavily relied on, haven't heard if Brooks is using his 5th year at Monmouth.

Quinnipiac - The Bobcats were a turnover machine in 2021, committing over 6 turnovers more per game than their opponents. Fortunately, they have the best FOGO in the MAAC in George, who took every draw in 2021, to offset that possession deficit. Haven't heard if Tomsik is coming back, they need to cutdown on turnovers regardless.

Canisius - Had an okay 2021 season, going 5-5. Return one of the best Attackman and SSDM in Buck and Ricketts. Return 19 Seniors and 5th years. Also add an uncharacteristically large class by Griffs standards of 15. Probably need some Freshmen or unsung veterans to emerge to improve on the 2021 season.

Marist - The heavy favorite going into 2021 had the worst covid luck, barely practicing or playing. Were 3-0 before a 1 goal loss at Canisius in the playoffs following traveling to Buffalo on game day. The attack is as good as you will ever see in the MAAC. Return their best midfielder, Lyons, who missed 2021 after being hurt during the 17-9 upset of #7/9 Army West Point in 2020. Stofko returning at close defense for a 5th year is significant. FOGO and SSDM were weaknesses in 2021 that have to be improved. Marist brings in a Freshmen and transfer from D2 Pace University at FOGO.

St. Bonaventure - Year 4 has gone very well for recent startups Marquette and Detroit Mercy. St. Bonvanture had a nice 2021, going .500 after going winless in their first season and abbreviated 2020. Dobson was in the transfer portal, they will be a big threat if he ends up returning. Rosa and Westley on offense are a formidable duo. Mearns with a fully funded program is going to be a force.

Siena - Winless in 2021, but only 1 of those 8 losses were by more than 2 goals. They will need to find an answer in net and have Gleason and others elevate their games to an All Conference level to compete for a playoff spot in 2022. Don't think they are a playoff team, but capable of knocking some teams off.
Tonyp2566

Post by Tonyp2566 »

redfoxalum wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:19 pm With the abbreviated past 2 seasons and not all rosters sorted, it's very hard to make any sort of predictions. It could be a year where 4 teams get first place votes in the coaches' preseason poll. Instead will just write some thoughts on each team.

Manhattan - Had the best covid luck of 2021 and earned the #1 seed in the conference tournament. The program has been on a slow but steady rise since Coach Kelleher arrived. First team All MAAC GK Krebs returns, but think the overall talent of the roster is still pretty far behind some of the other teams.

Monmouth - The 2021 champions lose the most to graduation, Hervada using his 5th year at Villanova hurts. However, Coach Fisher has proven that his team will probably be in the mix. Stratton will be heavily relied on, haven't heard if Brooks is using his 5th year at Monmouth.

Quinnipiac - The Bobcats were a turnover machine in 2021, committing over 6 turnovers more per game than their opponents. Fortunately, they have the best FOGO in the MAAC in George, who took every draw in 2021, to offset that possession deficit. Haven't heard if Tomsik is coming back, they need to cutdown on turnovers regardless.

Canisius - Had an okay 2021 season, going 5-5. Return one of the best Attackman and SSDM in Buck and Ricketts. Return 19 Seniors and 5th years. Also add an uncharacteristically large class by Griffs standards of 15. Probably need some Freshmen or unsung veterans to emerge to improve on the 2021 season.

Marist - The heavy favorite going into 2021 had the worst covid luck, barely practicing or playing. Were 3-0 before a 1 goal loss at Canisius in the playoffs following traveling to Buffalo on game day. The attack is as good as you will ever see in the MAAC. Return their best midfielder, Lyons, who missed 2021 after being hurt during the 19-7 upset of #7/9 Army West Point in 2020. Stofko returning at close defense for a 5th year is significant. FOGO and SSDM were weaknesses in 2021 that have to be improved. Marist brings in a Freshmen and transfer from D2 Pace University at FOGO.

St. Bonaventure - Year 4 has gone very well for recent startups Marquette and Detroit Mercy. St. Bonvanture had a nice 2021, going .500 after going winless in their first season and abbreviated 2020. Dobson was in the transfer portal, they will be a big threat if he ends up returning. Rosa and Westley on offense are a formidable duo. Mearns with a fully funded program is going to be a force.

Siena - Winless in 2021, but only 1 of those 8 losses were by more than 2 goals. They will need to find an answer in net and have Gleason and others elevate their games to an All Conference level to compete for a playoff spot in 2022. Don't think they are a playoff team, but capable of knocking some teams off.
Dobson in portal for next year not this year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:45 pm
Tonyp2566 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 pm
Nobody’s laughing.

Two obvious examples,
Mike Adler, Dillon Ward,

neither were exactly IL top 100’s,
so,
you never know.
Not laughing. Not sure I agree that he’s the best but he will get noticed nationally this year I am confident.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Tonyp2566 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:26 pm
redfoxalum wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:19 pm With the abbreviated past 2 seasons and not all rosters sorted, it's very hard to make any sort of predictions. It could be a year where 4 teams get first place votes in the coaches' preseason poll. Instead will just write some thoughts on each team.

Marist - The heavy favorite going into 2021 had the worst covid luck, barely practicing or playing. Were 3-0 before a 1 goal loss at Canisius in the playoffs following traveling to Buffalo on game day. The attack is as good as you will ever see in the MAAC. Return their best midfielder, Lyons, who missed 2021 after being hurt during the 19-7 upset of #7/9 Army West Point in 2020. Stofko returning at close defense for a 5th year is significant. FOGO and SSDM were weaknesses in 2021 that have to be improved. Marist brings in a Freshmen and transfer from D2 Pace University at FOGO.

Rosa that was the FR. Is he related to The ones at Cuse and Bart, One of Tom’s kids?
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:35 pm

Rosa that was the FR. Is he related to The ones at Cuse and Bart, One of Tom’s kids?
No, Canadian kid.

I'm pretty sure his Dad played for the Knighthawks back in the day with Mearns.

Bonnies will be very good. Really what's holding them back from being the favorite is they have to figure out their FOGO situation. They went 37% and do not seem to have any depth at the position.

Great defense though with Dobson in net and Belter who may be the best pole in the conference.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

D2fan wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:29 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:35 pm

No, Canadian kid.

I'm pretty sure his Dad played for the Knighthawks back in the day with Mearns.

Bonnies will be very good. Really what's holding them back from being the favorite is they have to figure out their FOGO situation. They went 37% and do not seem to have any depth at the position.

Great defense though with Dobson in net and Belter who may be the best pole in the conference.
Thanks I look at what LIU was able to do with Mark and LaCalandria and see the same thing at SBU
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Any reports on how Marist and Siena looked at the Hofstra event?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hofstra thread has some brief update on Marist.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Sounds like Marist looked pretty good yesterday although have no idea who Hofstra had on the field. Either way D must have looked good
Relaxin70

Post by Relaxin70 »

redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Relaxin70 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:01 am Marist Schedule
https://goredfoxes.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule

Manhattan conference schedule
https://gojaspers.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule
Manhattan is listing just the MAAC portion of their schedule. The Marist schedule is similar to 2020. Marist did well on face offs and ground balls in narrow losses to Richmond and Delaware in that abbreviated season. A lot of the team is the same but success will be harder to come by in those departments with no Peyton Smith. The Marist O is a talented and experienced group. If they get a comparable number of possessions as opponents, they will be a tough out. The Bucknell 10 man ride has caused Marist problems and will be interesting to watch as well in OOC play.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”