Semifinal 1 -- UNC v. BC

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Semifinal 1 -- UNC v. BC

Post by seacoaster »

And then there were four. Thought I'd start the game threads for discussion.

Can BC play a perfect game?
wlaxphan20

Re: Semifinal 1 -- UNC v. BC

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Wonder if UNC is still feeling the sting of that 2OT loss in the 2019 semi-final. Both teams look different, but a lot of players returned on both teams. Definitely no love lost over the past 4 years.

If this is game is anywhere near the 2019 semi-finals we're in for a TREAT
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:26 pm Wonder if UNC is still feeling the sting of that 2OT loss in the 2019 semi-final. Both teams look different, but a lot of players returned on both teams. Definitely no love lost over the past 4 years.

If this is game is anywhere near the 2019 semi-finals we're in for a TREAT
BC lost a lot more. They graduated the Big 3 and four starters on the defensive end along with their goaltender Daly. Eleven total in 2019. The majority of today's starters (including Moreno) for Carolina were on the 2019 roster as rookies and sophomores.

I'm sure that last semifinal loss to BC still stings. That's a game Carolina should have won. They'll try to make sure of it this time.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

So who you got in this one? Preemptive favorite and sometimes referred to as “best team ever” UNC? Or young and scrappy, we’re not just Charlotte North BC?
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Laxallday wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:40 am So who you got in this one? Preemptive favorite and sometimes referred to as “best team ever” UNC? Or young and scrappy, we’re not just Charlotte North BC?
I’ve got UNC. But, it’s going to be tough as all get out. BC is going to give them a real run for their money but UNC will do what they do best and finish it
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

glaxer24 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:01 am
Laxallday wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:40 am So who you got in this one? Preemptive favorite and sometimes referred to as “best team ever” UNC? Or young and scrappy, we’re not just Charlotte North BC?
I’ve got UNC. But, it’s going to be tough as all get out. BC is going to give them a real run for their money but UNC will do what they do best and finish it
BC has been really coming on and playing some great lacrosse. UNC was battle tested by both JMU and Stony Brook. UNC by 3, 14-11.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Brownlax wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:12 am
glaxer24 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:01 am
BC has been really coming on and playing some great lacrosse. UNC was battle tested by both JMU and Stony Brook. UNC by 3, 14-11.
I think this is about right. I just don't see BC's defense holding the UNC kids back enough to prevail. I'd love to be wrong.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

UNC beat BC 21-9 earlier this year - "held" CN to 3 goals on 8 shots without faceguarding her. BC won the draw battle 18-14 and still got beat by 12 goals.

Having said that, BC is a much better team since that game and CN has upped her game and seems to be on a mission - but UNC is just too good. It will come down to how the BC supporting cast plays - not so much how CN plays.

I have UNC by 5+ goals but expect a great game
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:26 pm If this is game is anywhere near the 2019 semi-finals we're in for a TREAT
Don't hold your breath. UNC handily...
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Gretchen wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:39 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:26 pm If this is game is anywhere near the 2019 semi-finals we're in for a TREAT
:lol: Love it. And I'm inclined to agree with you.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Cletus wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:26 pm
I am going to go against the grain a bit here. I think that UNC has been playing with fire for several weeks now. They seem to be able to almost turn it on at will. I believe that BC will find a way to win this game, starting with winning 60% of the draws and slowing down the game on offense. They move the ball well and have seen tape of what UNC has done to them. For BC to win, BC goalie needs to match up with Moreno. That is the biggest disparity in this game. Ok now everybody tell me I'm crazy.
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Laxallday wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:55 pm Ok now everybody tell me I'm crazy.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Laxallday wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:55 pm
Cletus wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:26 pm
I am going to go against the grain a bit here. I think that UNC has been playing with fire for several weeks now. They seem to be able to almost turn it on at will. I believe that BC will find a way to win this game, starting with winning 60% of the draws and slowing down the game on offense. They move the ball well and have seen tape of what UNC has done to them. For BC to win, BC goalie needs to match up with Moreno. That is the biggest disparity in this game. Ok now everybody tell me I'm crazy.
Nope, I'll give you a +1 instead.
Too long undefeated, UNC due for the L.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

If I had to bet the mortgage money, I would put it on Carolina. Having said that, the path to victory for BC is not that difficult to imagine. It really will depend on winning a ton of draws and the defense playing their best game of the year. That crew is much more experienced and confident then when they first played UNC early in the season. North will be North and will get her 5, 6 or 7 goals. If it comes down to crunch time she can play make it take it on her own which would be a fun challenge to watch. It is not an accident that AWW has been giving reps to Ngai throughout the tournament. She will not be afraid to go with a quick hook if the starter is not seeing the ball. All of the lacrosse girls in our neighborhood are very unhappy that this game faces off at noon. I was not fully on the bandwagon of complaining about simultaneous start times last weekend, but noon on a Friday for two of the best teams in the world is a crummy way to showcase the sport.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Can Opener wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:17 pm If I had to bet the mortgage money, I would put it on Carolina. Having said that, the path to victory for BC is not that difficult to imagine. It really will depend on winning a ton of draws and the defense playing their best game of the year. That crew is much more experienced and confident then when they first played UNC early in the season. North will be North and will get her 5, 6 or 7 goals. If it comes down to crunch time she can play make it take it on her own which would be a fun challenge to watch. It is not an accident that AWW has been giving reps to Ngai throughout the tournament. She will not be afraid to go with a quick hook if the starter is not seeing the ball. All of the lacrosse girls in our neighborhood are very unhappy that this game faces off at noon. I was not fully on the bandwagon of complaining about simultaneous start times last weekend, but noon on a Friday for two of the best teams in the world is a crummy way to showcase the sport.
I am so with you on the noon start. What the heck? The vast majority of the audience for Women’s college lacrosse is girls playing lacrosse. Hopefully everybody has a half day for Memorial day weekend and they can at least watch a half. Not sure what happened this year but the late afternoon and evening semis at Homewood two years ago were electric!
DMac

Post by DMac »

You don't have to bet the mortgage on it but how 'bout a bag of Gummy Bears and a bottle of widow cleaner?
I'm playin' with house money so I'm in.
BC 16-UNC 13.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Has the NCAA said why they've gone with the early starts for the semis this year?

Maybe it's the cicadas. They are getting blamed for everything else this year.

Or that dratted late afternoon sun at Johnny U. stadium, one of the worst venues to watch lacrosse.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxallday wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:28 pm Not sure what happened this year but the late afternoon and evening semis at Homewood two years ago were electric!
The BC/NC game fit that description. The NU/UMD game--only if you're a Terp fan. NU never had the lead in the game. Maryland jumped out early and maintained a fairly comfortable lead for the most part until the last two thirds of the 2nd half when they scored the last 9 goals of the game to finish 25-13. That was another Baltimore Massacre.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Can Opener wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:17 pm If I had to bet the mortgage money, I would put it on Carolina. Having said that, the path to victory for BC is not that difficult to imagine. It really will depend on winning a ton of draws and the defense playing their best game of the year. That crew is much more experienced and confident then when they first played UNC early in the season. North will be North and will get her 5, 6 or 7 goals. If it comes down to crunch time she can play make it take it on her own which would be a fun challenge to watch. It is not an accident that AWW has been giving reps to Ngai throughout the tournament. She will not be afraid to go with a quick hook if the starter is not seeing the ball. All of the lacrosse girls in our neighborhood are very unhappy that this game faces off at noon. I was not fully on the bandwagon of complaining about simultaneous start times last weekend, but noon on a Friday for two of the best teams in the world is a crummy way to showcase the sport.
It really just comes down to 1 thing, if BC can score more goals that UNC, then they will win!
njbill

Post by njbill »

8m, that has to be the most insightful observation of the year. Congrats!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”