Pick up truck pricing is nuts

General Chatter
Jim Malone

Pick up truck pricing is nuts

Post by Jim Malone »

Buyers traveling across the country, paying record prices for used pickups

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/19/used-pi ... emand.html

These guys show decent priced deals on IG in recent past but their website has some ridiculous prices.

https://www.chillicothetruck.com/

Glad I grabbed this beast before pricing went nuts.

2017 Sierra 1500 4WD Double Cab SLT Z71 All Terrain X with 40K miles. 5.3L V-8 Ecotec3, 6 speed auto, 3.42 rear GMPP cold air induction intake with GMPP stainless exhaust (made by Borla). All options except front park assist and seat cooling.

$52,460 dealer invoiced when new. $32,900 out the door before the insanity started.

"Are you sure?", was question as I traded 2004 Jaguar XJ8 with 84K in mint condition for.
Attachments
GMC 2.jpg
GMC 2.jpg (37.6 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
GMC 1.jpg
GMC 1.jpg (51.06 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
GMC 5.jpg
GMC 5.jpg (49.27 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
The parent, not the coach.
DMac

Re: Pick up truck pricing is nuts

Post by DMac »

Nice truck, JM. Truck prices have indeed gone nuts, and the funny thing is, most people who are buying them will never put a load of stone, bail of hay, or load of firewood in them. Not only is the price of trucks nuts but the average truck buyer will spend in the neighborhood of an additional $3K for accessories, just as someone did on your truck when they bought it. Step rails, bed liner, wheels...etc. They're pretty much a luxury vehicle anymore.
Oh, and you're a real glutton for punishment with that black, aren't you?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

You are good for an easy 250k + miles. Had a 99 Tahoe that ran forever, hardly ever had any issues.

Black is okay these days IF you use the appropriate cleaners. Preferred method is a low pressure, pressure washer with a soap that air dries, then use a high grade was like Adams.

Had a Black 89 Bronco that wore my ass out chasing water spots and swirl marks. Then got turned on the the above.

You can also get a ceramic coating application.... it’s worth it if you like to stay looking sharp.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

Jim Malone wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:21 pm Buyers traveling across the country, paying record prices for used pickups

2017 Sierra 1500 4WD Double Cab SLT Z71 All Terrain X with 40K miles. 5.3L V-8 Ecotec3, 6 speed auto, 3.42 rear GMPP cold air induction intake with GMPP stainless exhaust (made by Borla). All options except front park assist and seat cooling.

"Are you sure?", was question as I traded 2004 Jaguar XJ8 with 84K in mint condition for.
You are indeed a man of refined tastes JM.

My first pickup was a '65 Ford Econoline pickup (exactly like the image below),
purchased from my grandfather in 1976 for $500 when he became too senile to drive any longer.
Fortunately he center punced a tree, creasing only the bumper, or he would have rolled over a bluff.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965- ... onoline-2/
DMac

Post by DMac »

old salt wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:44 am
Jim Malone wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:21 pm Buyers traveling across the country, paying record prices for used pickups

You are indeed a man of refined tastes JM.

My first pickup was a '65 Ford Econoline pickup (exactly like the image below),
purchased from my grandfather in 1976 for $500 when he became too senile to drive any longer.
Fortunately he center punced a tree, creasing only the bumper, or he would have rolled over a bluff.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965- ... onoline-2/
That's a beauty, salty.....we don't need no stinkin' aerodynamics. A dollars worth gas and you were good to go for quite a few miles back in those days. Am bettin' that was a three speed on the column...gotta love it.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Great truck JM. Except for the spoke rims, my Bonnie T120 Black would look good with your truck.
36AF3EFE-05C0-4DCD-A404-08038E5102B2.jpeg
36AF3EFE-05C0-4DCD-A404-08038E5102B2.jpeg (25.22 KiB) Viewed 2327 times

Actually, your post hit home as I had been weighing the pros and cons of selling my 2011 F150 Platinum as the mileage is about to hit 130,000.

I bought it after retiring in 2014. We had bought a cottage in the Finger Lakes in 2012 and knowing I’d be buying my first boat, got the truck.

DMac, you’re right about the luxury aspect of them. I sure didn’t need all the bells and whistles on mine. Didn’t need the ability to have or even change the lighting around the dash and cup holders to three different colors :roll: . However, some features sure are nice making the drive up and back from Texas to the cottage every spring and fall. Plus, Mrs. 6 really liked the auto retracting running boards. Me too, when launching in the spring and recovering the boat and hoist in the fall, as I did last week, from our uneven lawn/shore every year vs. the nice paved state boat launches. In my defense, there’s been yards of top soil, rock, mulch, etc in that bed. ;)
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/19/used-pi ... emand.html

These guys show decent priced deals on IG in recent past but their website has some ridiculous prices.

https://www.chillicothetruck.com/

Glad I grabbed this beast before pricing went nuts.

$52,460 dealer invoiced when new. $32,900 out the door before the insanity started.

Niiice!

Prices ARE insane. But there were some good deals to be had. Was looking for a year and just got a 2018 Chevy Silverado High Country 6 mos. ago.
All options. 8k miles. $33.8 out the door.
Gotta say- the seat cooling- don't ever get it, because then you won't want to live without it!
:lol:

I was sad to see her go, but it WAS a nice upgrade from my 2001 GMC Sierra SLT with 240k on it...
DMac

Post by DMac »

You did real good, kram, that kind of deal aint easy to find. My youngest hit a similar deal a year or so back, am glad he jumped on it.

Yup, trucks aint much used as trucks anymore, 6. People seem to like trucks a lot and they're willing to pay for them which leaves the guy who just needs a truck paying a fortune these days. Hard to find just a regular pick up, want a four door with leather and all the toys you'll find one easily though. All three of my boys have trucks but they use them as trucks too.
The youngest had a 6 liter GMC 2500, truck was a beast (worked it like a rented mule towing his big asz mud truck around..maniac..now he's got a Chevy 1500 extended cab (not playing with that stupid asz mud truck as much these days). Oldest has a F250 quad cab...all leathered up, youngest has a F150.
Know the guy who started this outfit..Cornell grad, sharp kid, married a Chevy dealership owner's daughter (divorced now, imagine that). This has grown into a big and very profitable company, it's just unreal what people will pay for all the "must haves" for their trucks.
https://www.cvorides.com/
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

DMac wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:56 pm You did real good, kram, that kind of deal aint easy to find. My youngest hit a similar deal a year or so back, am glad he jumped on it.

Yup, trucks aint much used as trucks anymore, 6. People seem to like trucks a lot and they're willing to pay for them which leaves the guy who just needs a truck paying a fortune these days. Hard to find just a regular pick up, want a four door with leather and all the toys you'll find one easily though. All three of my boys have trucks but they use them as trucks too.
The youngest had a 6 liter GMC 2500, truck was a beast (worked it like a rented mule towing his big asz mud truck around..maniac..now he's got a Chevy 1500 extended cab (not playing with that stupid asz mud truck as much these days). Oldest has a F250 quad cab...all leathered up, youngest has a F150.
Know the guy who started this outfit..Cornell grad, sharp kid, married a Chevy dealership owner's daughter (divorced now, imagine that). This has grown into a big and very profitable company, it's just unreal what people will pay for all the "must haves" for their trucks.
https://www.cvorides.com/
Thanks, really lucked out, to be honest.

Here's a pic of a similar one, same color:

The only difference is mine has the larger, tow mirrors.

:D

Oh, yeah, the toys for the truck are as important as the truck these days!
Still trying to keep the kids from crapping it up inside, but I use it.
A week after getting it I had already run 2 pallets of laminate flooring and a few buckets of mulch in it.
I got a little nervous as the forklift dropped the 2nd pallet of flooring in, but it held great. She sank down, but handled it no problem.
Because I hadn't looked at trucks in so long, it was fun shopping. There are a LOT of nice options. Almost got a new GMC, before the Chevy popped up right as I was about to poull the trigger. But the Fords were really nice too. I just couldn't navigate all their engines with ecoboost etc. The interiors of the new Rams were really nice also. Didnt expect them to be so swanky. Just couldn't get past so manty anecdotal stories of bad transmissions from friends. One friend just bout a fully loaded Toyota Tundra. Beautiful vehicle. And it cost him a pretty penny. Runs like a top and he abuses it. But I just couldn't bring myself to buy a "foreign" truck.
At one point I was so aggravated at looking I almost bouy a new "used" 2020 stripped down Silverado. It still would abeen an upgrade over my last one. But I figured I kept the last one for 15 years or so, so I might as well treat myself and get something I really liked!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Good for you kram, enjoy.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:02 pm Good for you kram, enjoy.
You couldn’t give me a pick up truck
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:03 pm
Makes sense. ;)
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:10 pm
Makes sense. ;)
I get little utility out of a car and have never had any interest in a pick up truck.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:23 pm
Makes sense. ;)
I get little utility out of a car and have never had any interest in a pick up truck.
To each their own. Some people just don’t need one.

For us, we use the truck all the time, between hauling canoes, paddle boards, or the boat to the beach, junk to the dump, lax equipment to the fields, or plants and garden stuff to and from the nursery- We wouldn’t be able to do half the stuff we love without one. Makes life possible without much fuss.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:45 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:23 pm
Makes sense. ;)
To each their own. Some people just don’t need one.

For us, we use the truck all the time, between hauling canoes, paddle boards, or the boat to the beach, junk to the dump, lax equipment to the fields, or plants and garden stuff to and from the nursery- We wouldn’t be able to do half the stuff we love without one. Makes life possible without much fuss.
If it’s truly being used great but Ive worked with bankers and their wives who had pimped out four door trucks to take to the mall totally clean and looking unused and that’s a joke. Particularly in the south, people like Perdue and Loeffler who want to try to pretend to be salt of the earth but are really more like truffles and caviar of the earth.

Otherwise all vehicles are for transport and depreciating assets (obviously some exceptions to this but nothing under 100-150k would this really be true of). I have a hard time even getting 4 wheel drive SUVs around Atlanta. I’d argue a full sized SUV gets you to nearly the same place. I bought a slightly used 2018 Honda Pilot (Touareg or something it’s the high end model of it though I could care less and wish it didn’t have the tv in back even if it does get the kids to shut up on road trips) w 20k mi and when I fold down the third row I’ve gotten 20 bags of mulch in the back which was like two pallets worth at Lowe’s (I just did it bag by bag on a cart personally) so the storage in that is about the same I think as a pickup. That thing cost similar to Keane truck, all in with VAT etc was around $35k.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

That great if you don’t mind putting 20 bags of mulch inside your cab and are cool with the mess. I’d prefer to be able to keep the interior clean and hose down the bed afterwards.

A guy I coach with is one of those who has the big truck and doesn’t use it. Has a tonneau on the back and the bed is literally carpeted underneath.

But we don’t farm out too many of our home projects. Generally do them ourselves and source materials from PA and haul back to MD. We’ve done loads of blue stone and slate for the back patio, 2 pallets of laminate flooring, filled a bed full of pumpkins and mums for Halloween, multiple beds of mulch, compost, firewood, and a bunch of furniture. And that’s just since March.

I’m not paying 50k for a truck. But there are deals to be had. Especially right now since Covid hit. If If hbe waited a few weeks I’d probably hbe saved even more. But didn’t expect the lockdown to happen so quickly. When you look at what people are paying for small suvs and vehicles like those, getting my fully loaded used truck for $33k was a steal. Especially if I keep it for 15-20 years like the last one.

Also, for me- the safety portion was worth it. The last pickup saved me. Was at a stoplight and got rear ended by a 3500 work van that was doing 35mph. Walked away with nary a bruise. Bed served as a cushion. Size matters. If I was in my Acura sedan, I’d have been hurtin’ for certain.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Kram, your mention of hauling lax gear hit home. Sure wish I had my truck instead of our Honda Pilot when hauling my son and often a couple team mates to and from lax tournaments etc. If I had my truck then I wouldn’t have needed to drive with the windows down and the a/c on at the same time :D
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That’s what everyone does in the south. Still seems ridiculous to me ten years in.

Previously I had a tan Volvo XC wagon, which could take a lot of cars off a red light but was my “Wayne Brady” car (TLD knows what I’m talking about, “break yourself!”). Recall having my own summer league gear in the way back of that which also had decent capacity for like a week and it was wretched. Like I could’ve killed more Kurds than Saddam with the odor.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:54 pm That great if you don’t mind putting 20 bags of mulch inside your cab and are cool with the mess. I’d prefer to be able to keep the interior clean and hose down the bed afterwards.

A guy I coach with is one of those who has the big truck and doesn’t use it. Has a tonneau on the back and the bed is literally carpeted underneath.

But we don’t farm out too many of our home projects. Generally do them ourselves and source materials from PA and haul back to MD. We’ve done loads of blue stone and slate for the back patio, 2 pallets of laminate flooring, filled a bed full of pumpkins and mums for Halloween, multiple beds of mulch, compost, firewood, and a bunch of furniture. And that’s just since March.

I’m not paying 50k for a truck. But there are deals to be had. Especially right now since Covid hit. If If hbe waited a few weeks I’d probably hbe saved even more. But didn’t expect the lockdown to happen so quickly. When you look at what people are paying for small suvs and vehicles like those, getting my fully loaded used truck for $33k was a steal. Especially if I keep it for 15-20 years like the last one.

Also, for me- the safety portion was worth it. The last pickup saved me. Was at a stoplight and got rear ended by a 3500 work van that was doing 35mph. Walked away with nary a bruise. Bed served as a cushion. Size matters. If I was in my Acura sedan, I’d have been hurtin’ for certain.
I have a 6 & 8yr old. Nothing is clean in there. When I take up their car seats you’d be amazed at the science experiments that exist below.

Generally speaking slightly used is a better deal than new, especially with such loos financing terms available last 5-6yrs which provide >100% LTV financing (trust me even a good deal used if you fully finance it you’re underwater day 1, just not as bad as with a new car). On a macro level this isn’t true currently as used car inventories have been tight nationally as folks have been holding onto their vehicles longer and keeping leases. New is probably a bette relative value but that depreciation cliff say 1 is nasty, might be worth considering if you truly will keep a vehicle 10+ Yrs though to consider.

Kram, I assume you’re talking about the Balt-York PA corridor? Have driven it many times when I lived in DC to visit my parents in Binghamton, usually stopping to see my aunt and uncle or one of my cousins in York PA. Once you live in the District proper, going west out 66 to 81 or up 95 are worse options than running through Balt then heading NW.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”