3 Man Bands

General Chatter
Oldbarndog

3 Man Bands

Post by Oldbarndog »

Spending a lot of time walking with my labs and listening to Spotify. Getting back to my heavy guitar influenced preferences. Rating my all time favorite 3 man bands. No particular order.

1) ZZ Top - First 4 albums were phenomenal. Billy Gibbons, an all time favorite. Beyond Fandango, not so much. First concert experience, stack of Marshall's, didn't hear for a week. No flash, just played.

2) Cream - Clapton at his best, loved Blind Faith, Derek & the Dominoes. Always better from my point of view with others as opposed to out on his own. Ultimate guitar glue guy?

3) Jimi Hendrix Experience - Innovative, opened so many doors, mind boggling where he could have gone. Loved Band of Gypsy''s with Buddy Miles. (Note: Eddie Van H: Step off; he showed no respect at all, calling him a show off.)

4) James Gang - Joe Walsh, another innovator, echoplex master. Diving deeper into their stuff has been a treat. Beyond the James Gang, mixed results for Joe.

5) Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Tight, tight, tight. I think my favorite thing about Stevie is how he absorbed and incorporated the styles of so many players but the finished product was distinctly his own.

Stay healthy and safe!
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
ardilla secreta

Re: 3 Man Bands

Post by ardilla secreta »

I always thought the JHExperience did so much with so few. James Gang was outstanding. Doesn’t seem like very many even know about them. What about The Police or is that why you’re Oldbarndog? Haha.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Touche. Rush definitely in the conversation. Police, would be a decent "Pilsner", enjoyable light beer style. Rush a Belgian Trippel. Emerson, Lake & Palmer also
Would throw John Mayer Trio in the mix.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

If there's a youngbarndog, he may listen to blink-182 or Green Day. Both highly successful and can crank it up to eleven!

Or maybe Nirvana. Smells Like Teen Spirit launched a whole generation into grunge.

Crosby Stills & Nash are certainly timeless.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Rush is my number 1. Not for everyone but musically speaking, the most talented. RIP Neal Peart.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

America had some nice songs back in the 1970s.

I think Green Day would be my top 3-man band.
Live Free or Die!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Anyone like Robin Trower? (Hendrix disciple)

Now there was/is a power trio. Still performing in his 70s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D175jn-3_M
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Robin Trower underappreciated guitarist, loved Bridge of Sighs. CSN, like the Buffalo Springfield & Byrds influence of Stills & Crosby. Nash not as much. Mrs. Barndog loves America.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Enough people left Genesis that it became a 3-man band (Collins, Rutherford and Banks), at that stage a massive money-making pop machine fronted by Phil Collins.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

80's high school favorite - The Violent Femmes. Saw them at the U of R in 1985. Three guys with a snare, a bass, and a mic. Oh, to be young! :D
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:07 am Enough people left Genesis that it became a 3-man band (Collins, Rutherford and Banks), at that stage a massive money-making pop machine fronted by Phil Collins.
Right... And Then There Were Three. That album had some great stuff on it... Deep In The Motherlode, e.g.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Motorhead.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

SRV. the best.

also- the talking heads.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

A couple of earlier ones you might have missed: Emerson, Lake, and Palmer; also Grand Funk Railroad...
Brooklyn

Re: 3 Person Bands

Post by Brooklyn »

Kingston Trio

Peter, Paul, & Mary

Andrews Sisters

Bee Gees

Crosby, Stills, & Nash

Supremes

America's Team = Dixie Chicks
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:21 am SRV. the best.

also- the talking heads.
HUGE Stevie Ray fan. Not on my original list, added Reese Wynans on keyboards. But Double Trouble!

Grand Funk, meh.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Oldbarndog wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:34 am
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:21 am SRV. the best.

also- the talking heads.
HUGE Stevie Ray fan. Not on my original list, added Reese Wynans on keyboards. But Double Trouble!

Grand Funk, meh.
correct; third album (soul to soul), wynans knew he (wynans) was so good he even turned down the allmans.

but when stevie ray came calling- he joined.

still in his early days, as stevie vaughan, it was a trio (pre-tommy shannon). but before that going back to the 70s, the nightcrawlers, triple threat revue, lou ann barton, none were trios.

his live radio performance at the steamboat 1874, i think, is his best. and he as just a kid. maybe 26. he opens up with two instrumentals, and it sounds studio quality- live on radio with just a bass and drums. that was right before jackson browne lent him his studio to record texas flood- browne knew SRV was so good, he just let him have it for free.

on the youtube there's an extended version of songs that didnt make the 1980 live album, titled in the beginning.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Rise of a Texas Bluesman on tubi worth the watch.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

ZZ Top: That Little Ol’ Band From Texas. On Netflix, very good. Great choices OBD, although James Gang wasn’t around long and not always a trio. While in the Army listened to “Thirds” over and over on an 8 track tape. Great music.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

there's a very recent documentary out on ZZ Top, maybe came out a few weeks ago. if you're a fan- you should check it out!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”