Re: Live Game Action

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Bart wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:21 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:05 pm
Bart wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:01 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:20 pm
Bart wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:02 am
Madlax59 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:17 am
Bart wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:07 am Anyone else find the “asterisk” comments about records on last night’s broadcast interesting? Pretty honest take I thought.
I didn’t hear it what was the gist of it?
Wide brush stroke paraphrase…while the records being broken and new ones set are legitimate there may need to be an asterisk to explain the circumstances.
What circumstances? The only one I can really think of is the shot clock, and I think there is something in the record book that mentions that it was introduced in 2017.

If it’s about “extra games from 2020” that point is actually invalid IMO. I made a post about this last year. There are a number of players in the record books, who had traditional 4 year careers, and who still played more total career games than players who had the 5-6 games from the canceled 2020 season in addition to their 4 years.
What are the circumstance of those players in the record books? Are these more career games due to play in the post season? Continuation of the season they are in?
Post season. Cummings and Treanor had two of the highest if I recall correctly.

edit:
https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352494#p352494

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... er#p358696

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356698#p356698
First. Don’t care about the records. Was just an observation from last night. Count them or not, really don’t care.

Second, you are comparing apples to oranges. A gift of eligibility vs post season play that a team earned. Sorry don’t see it the same but that’s my opinion.

Someone brought up a player with a medical redshirt. Those redshirts have a set of criteria that need to be met. How many of these current players would have met that criteria (games played) in 2020 that would have allowed them to redshirt? So while I don’t really care about the records I think the ruling in 2020 was short sighted and hurt more athletes in terms of opportunities than helped. I’m sure not many will agree but that’s how I see it.
Woah, Bart. I thought you found the comment about an asterisk to records being set interesting, so I was adding my $0.02 about that - not about whether I thought the decision made to grant an extra year of eligibility was fair to the players or not.

That’s fine if we don’t agree. IMO I thought i was comparing apples to apples - number of games played in a career and if players with a COVID season had an advantage in that sense.

I find the asterisk discussion interesting as well, but I think there’s too much hyper focus on the “extra games” people believe players were granted and not enough focus on just how much more opportunity the shot clock has created. That’s just my observation.

The ruling in 2020 is what it is. I think the NCAA would have faced a lot of backlash either way, but hindsight is always 20/20. Yeah, redshirts have set criteria, but I don’t think any entity in the country had a “set criteria” for their response in 2020. Fair, unfair, whatever your opinion is, I didn’t really think that’s what this was about.

Maybe I’m reading into this too much, and I get that this is a sensitive subject for a lot of people who were personally impacted, but I’m not really sure what I said to warrant the tone of your response.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I stopped watching the Maryland-Princeton game when it was something like 14-7. 15--11 MD final. What happened?
Bart

Post by Bart »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:17 am
Bart wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:07 am Anyone else find the “asterisk” comments about records on last night’s broadcast interesting? Pretty honest take I thought.
Wide brush stroke paraphrase…while the records being broken and new ones set are legitimate there may need to be an asterisk to explain the circumstances.
What circumstances? The only one I can really think of is the shot clock, and I think there is something in the record book that mentions that it was introduced in 2017.

If it’s about “extra games from 2020” that point is actually invalid IMO. I made a post about this last year. There are a number of players in the record books, who had traditional 4 year careers, and who still played more total career games than players who had the 5-6 games from the canceled 2020 season in addition to their 4 years.
What are the circumstance of those players in the record books? Are these more career games due to play in the post season? Continuation of the season they are in?

edit:

First. Don’t care about the records. Was just an observation from last night. Count them or not, really don’t care.

Second, you are comparing apples to oranges. A gift of eligibility vs post season play that a team earned. Sorry don’t see it the same but that’s my opinion.

Someone brought up a player with a medical redshirt. Those redshirts have a set of criteria that need to be met. How many of these current players would have met that criteria (games played) in 2020 that would have allowed them to redshirt? So while I don’t really care about the records I think the ruling in 2020 was short sighted and hurt more athletes in terms of opportunities than helped. I’m sure not many will agree but that’s how I see it.
Woah, Bart. I thought you found the comment about an asterisk to records being set interesting, so I was adding my $0.02 about that - not about whether I thought the decision made to grant an extra year of eligibility was fair to the players or not.

That’s fine if we don’t agree. IMO I thought i was comparing apples to apples - number of games played in a career and if players with a COVID season had an advantage in that sense.

I find the asterisk discussion interesting as well, but I think there’s too much hyper focus on the “extra games” people believe players were granted and not enough focus on just how much more opportunity the shot clock has created. That’s just my observation.

The ruling in 2020 is what it is. I think the NCAA would have faced a lot of backlash either way, but hindsight is always 20/20. Yeah, redshirts have set criteria, but I don’t think any entity in the country had a “set criteria” for their response in 2020. Fair, unfair, whatever your opinion is, I didn’t really think that’s what this was about.

Maybe I’m reading into this too much, and I get that this is a sensitive subject for a lot of people who were personally impacted, but I’m not really sure what I said to warrant the tone of your response.
There was no tone intended. Sorry if it came across that way. This was originally about an interesting comment made on a lacrosse broadcast. I think all the things we have spoken about are rolled up in that comment. Not a bid deal. Again, I really do not care about the numbers. I just care about watching competitive games.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:41 am I stopped watching the Maryland-Princeton game when it was something like 14-7. 15--11 MD final. What happened?
UMD took off the 2nd half and rested.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:58 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:41 am I stopped watching the Maryland-Princeton game when it was something like 14-7. 15--11 MD final. What happened?
I think starters stayed on the field didn’t they?

Princeton’s goalie just played better / terps shot less efficiently and only scored 3 in the whole 2nd half. Had a quick look at stats and that was on 15 shots.
Terps also turned over the ball 10 times in the 2nd which probably didn’t help.

Princeton let the game get away from them in 2Q and then it was always going to be difficult to get back in it.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

laxlaxlax wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:22 am

Princeton’s goalie just played better / terps shot less efficiently and only scored 3 in the whole 2nd half. Had a quick look at stats and that was on 15 shots.

Princeton let the game get away from them in 2Q and then it was always going to be difficult to get back in it.
Princeton also shadowed Clevenger after she had six points in the first half. But you're right about MD's offense not shooting as well, and the Princeton goalie got into a groove. They started to mix some non-starters in, but there was never an empty the bench moment.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I found myself thinking "When will it all click this year for the Terps?" ... TBH, I thought the same thing about SBU against JHU. Two tops teams that are known for discipline and consistency, looking unlike themselves as we turn the corner and head for May.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Preseason, I had Maryland beating Boston College in the finals. :oops: I would like a do over.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

laxlaxlax wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:22 am

This is what I was looking for; thanks laxlaxlax.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:58 am Preseason, I had Maryland beating Boston College in the finals. :oops: I would like a do over.
Do-over granted - who do you have now in the finals?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Syracuse and Northwestern, but a blind squirrel could probably make those selections.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:00 pm Syracuse and Northwestern, but a blind squirrel could probably make those selections.
I'm hoping that my Tar Heels keep growing together and getting better. They are super young and could make a nice run at the end of they year.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:00 pm Syracuse and Northwestern, but a blind squirrel could probably make those selections.
The blind squirrel picks UMd….lol
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Bart wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:20 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:17 am

edit:

There was no tone intended. Sorry if it came across that way. This was originally about an interesting comment made on a lacrosse broadcast. I think all the things we have spoken about are rolled up in that comment. Not a bid deal. Again, I really do not care about the numbers. I just care about watching competitive games.
All good!!! And I think as fans, this season has been enjoyable. I can’t remember the last time there was parity like this, and the gap between the top 3-4 and the rest of the division feels much smaller than it has been in the last 6-7 years. Anyone could get hot in May and make it to MDW.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

I hope JMU and the Hounds make Memorial Day weekend. I think Denver will lose in quarterfinals as someone will finally crack their defense. Hounds have had better teams in the past, but with the top 4 not set in stone I hope they make an upset in May
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

NU up on PSU early.

This Sammie White kid is explosive. Wow.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Man, I love watching Sammy White.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Love it when the shooter takes the ball to the cage and just places it past the GK like the last Penn State shooter did on the FPS. Will never understand how shooters aren't 80+% on FPSs.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Because there is a goalie trying to stop the shot.

What would your free-throw percentage be if Wilt Chamberlain could stand under the basket and swat away all of your foul shots?
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:22 pm NU up on PSU early.

This Sammie White kid is explosive. Wow.
Honestly PS looks better than a lot of teams ranked higher than them. They def look better than SB and Michigan.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”