Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:20 pm Very true and telling:
“With Chase, you had a very talented player who really scored a lot of goals that were created out of the two-man game with Pat,” Toomey said. “I don’t know if we’re built to play like that, anyway. We don’t have a Pat to run pick-and-rolls with. We have to ask our middies to be unselfish with the ball and find the right look for Loyola.”

I saw that...yup.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

The quotes from Toomey were awesome. Who is usually more tight lipped than this.

Seay is one to watch.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

And this one is interesting, Toomey reminding the young pups that there have been multiple Tewy nominees on Loyola's roster in addition to Spencer.

Heck, I can think of at least 8 OTHERS just since 2012: Kevin Lindley, Jacob Stover, Foster Huggins, Brian Sherlock, Nikko Pontrello, Zach Herreweyers, Mike Fletcher, Mike Sawyer

Probably one or two others I missed...

“Pat’s not the only Tewaaraton finalist we’ve had,” Toomey said. “We’ve had them on the defensive end and the offensive end. The fact is that we’ve been to the final four twice, once with Pat and once we won a championship without Pat. We feel like we have the players in our locker room to help us win a lot of games this season but also going forward."
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:44 pm And this one is interesting, Toomey reminding the young pups that there have been multiple Tewy nominees on Loyola's roster in addition to Spencer.

Heck, I can think of at least 8 OTHERS just since 2012: Kevin Lindley, Jacob Stover, Foster Huggins, Brian Sherlock, Nikko Pontrello, Zach Herreweyers, Mike Fletcher, Mike Sawyer

Probably one or two others I missed...

“Pat’s not the only Tewaaraton finalist we’ve had,” Toomey said. “We’ve had them on the defensive end and the offensive end. The fact is that we’ve been to the final four twice, once with Pat and once we won a championship without Pat. We feel like we have the players in our locker room to help us win a lot of games this season but also going forward."
Justin Ward was pretty good
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

How'd I forget him!
He was. Tough as nails that kid!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

One of the most well-rounded players I've ever seen. He could do it all.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

maybe Saturday's scrimmage against Villanova will give us more to talk about and discuss. Who is the 3rd Attackman? Who are the emerging 6 middies? How does the defense look? Can the Goalie make the stops needed when they're needed? FOGO's? I think I'm good on that one. Anyway - will be a lot of fun watching the team get after it.
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Hey everyone, brand new user here. I was lucky enough to recently find this website, and I couldn’t help that I wanted to make an account. Longtime hound fan, ready for another great season. Go hounds!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Laxfan01 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:35 am Hey everyone, brand new user here. I was lucky enough to recently find this website, and I couldn’t help that I wanted to make an account. Longtime hound fan, ready for another great season. Go hounds!

My friend, welcome to the most optimistic and friendly team page in all of D1! Also, as we intend to win the Natty this year, you are cordially invited to add any and all information about the team at any time...we will be here high-fiving each post!

Go Hounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Should get a good look at the Hounds this weekend. We get a solid Villanova team coming to Ridley. Should be able to see who wants to step up this year.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I read a lot where some say too much emphasis is placed on Fall Ball and it's not worth it, doesn't count, etc... Well my take is that it does matter and counts for the players on the field wanting to play their best and earn their spot in the rotation. I guarantee you this will be an interesting scrimmage to watch and see what the Coaches have packed into the past several weeks of practice. I also believe Toomey will want to see some fresh players in the line up to see what they can do. Probably play 5 quarters like last year with the 5th quarter being "game situation specific" to practice 1 or 2 minute drills, etc... Just wonder if they'll have a roster or program handy?? Looks like we'll have good weather too.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

NovaHound wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:43 pm I read a lot where some say too much emphasis is placed on Fall Ball and it's not worth it, doesn't count, etc... Well my take is that it does matter and counts for the players on the field wanting to play their best and earn their spot in the rotation. I guarantee you this will be an interesting scrimmage to watch and see what the Coaches have packed into the past several weeks of practice. I also believe Toomey will want to see some fresh players in the line up to see what they can do. Probably play 5 quarters like last year with the 5th quarter being "game situation specific" to practice 1 or 2 minute drills, etc... Just wonder if they'll have a roster or program handy?? Looks like we'll have good weather too.
NovaHound wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:43 pm I read a lot where some say too much emphasis is placed on Fall Ball and it's not worth it, doesn't count, etc... Well my take is that it does matter and counts for the players on the field wanting to play their best and earn their spot in the rotation. I guarantee you this will be an interesting scrimmage to watch and see what the Coaches have packed into the past several weeks of practice. I also believe Toomey will want to see some fresh players in the line up to see what they can do. Probably play 5 quarters like last year with the 5th quarter being "game situation specific" to practice 1 or 2 minute drills, etc... Just wonder if they'll have a roster or program handy?? Looks like we'll have good weather too.
Lindley Olmstead show so far. Salvia solid at face off. D some mental mistakes. Nothing from Middies. If keeping score 9-3 loyola. Dominated second quarter
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

The third quarter was dismal for the hounds... lots of mistakes and little or no offense, fourth the D took over and Loyola had some middie play. IMO, they need to find their 6 middies that can create for Lindley and Olmstead.
loyolapride2015

Post by loyolapride2015 »

Loyola won by 4 or 5 goals and played pretty well at times. Loyola started with very young midfield group but they didn’t generate a lot of offense as a group. Most of the initiating came from Olmsted today. He was excellent on the day with 8 or 9 points. The negative was the Loyola offense consists on a lot of one on one dodge to get shots. They lack vision and ball movement. They are pretty good individually and athletically. They have Solid depth at Midfield. All seem very solid but no real superstars this year. Swindell, James and Potris started and Cox, Deverou and Seay were second line midfielders. They are all very solid, but need others to get them the ball to be effective. Olmsted had a great day on attack and was tremendous putting pressure on Villanova all day. He likes to split a lot of doubles, and was slick enough to get away with it. I am not sure that will work against Big boys. The offense will run through Olmsted this year. Lindley was excellent off ball, and had a few great off ball goals as well. Kamish looks solid. He has a nice cut off ball for goal, but struggled hitting cage off his dodge but looks comfortable carrying. He has to look for cutters to have more success at this level. Pridemore was splitting time with Kamish but struggled to gain any separation, and turned it over a bunch on double teams. McCarthy played on Attack today and looked very good. He had some nice feeds and a great off ball cut for a goal. Really nice surprise to see him making plays. Portras had a nice goal on hard cut from McCarthy and seems like excellent off ball guy. Rayba a did not play today so I am not sure if he was injured. Defense was very solid early on. McNulty has great hands and excellent on transition. The close defense looks very solid. It is great to have Hughes back. He looks to be top close defender. SSDM Higgins is a stud and Bennis is excellent on transition. Goalie play was average and probably why game was close. Shaffer has some nice saves but also let in some soft ones. They will miss Stover against the really great offensive teams. Savio is tremendous! He is the absolute key to Loyola success. Looks like a 70 percent guy. If he plays great Loyola will have 10-12 wins this year.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Thanks for the recap LoyolaPride. Agree with your assessment. Let me fill in the hole.

Jack Raba was wearing #3. I too thought it was McCarthy too but found out after game Raba had switched numbers. And I though he had an excellent game - maybe 3 points? Unfortunately Colin is unable to play this year. I have no further info on that but he was on sideline.

Savio looked great as you said but somehow Loyola didn't win the face off or maintain possession in the 3rd and fell behind 4-0 before storming back with 3 unanswered and a potential goal by McNulty with 1 second left IMO but waved off by officials.

Defense started to play more aggressively in the 3rd and 4th - maybe finding their rhythm. Our D Middies are very good as you pointed out. Shaffer tightened up his game after the 1st.

Some of the freshmen standing out IMO were Poitras, Kamish and Hueston, but really hard to keep up with all the new numbers. Billy Weiss from Memphis, TN, looked good on Close D in the 5th quarter when everyone got in. Kevin Shires, walk on, also had some nice plays.

Lots of good pieces to the puzzle - Toomey and staff just have to get it all sorted out.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Thanks all for updates. I had a friend there who was feeding me updates. Here is a quick rundown from him in no specific order:

VERY impressed with Kamish the freshman.

VERY impressed with Bailey Savio (echoing comments above); perhaps having some competition on the bench has elevated him even more? Said he was upagainst a big guy from NOva.

VERY impressed with Omstead. Looks like team low offense might revolve around him somewhat this year, with Lindley finding seams like he has for the past two years. Said Lindley was open all day on cuts.

Somewhat disagreeing with above assessment of defense, said our defense played great and he can see where they will shine.

Loved the kid Poitras.

Agreed with all others saying middies need some more gel time.

He had 17-11 final if that sounds right.

Charlie has a team this year...let's keep it quiet as we sneak up on some folks...
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I had score at 13-9 after 4. I didn't count 5th but that probably makes it seem right. :o

Good point about remaining quiet. Team is good but has a lot of room to improve. It will take playing hard and smart and catching breaks to win games. Goal should be to improve each game. I'm not even going to talk about post season. Need to get through regular season and Patriot League tourney first.

More to follow; maybe.... :D
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Ok, heard enough now to accept an even bet from a overbearing JHU alum before he pulls it.
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Unfortunately I was not able to make it for the scrimmage against Nova, but I was able to go to an intersquad one a couple weeks back. They looked really good, and the defense in particular looked great. As far as freshmen, Poitras really has knack to find the goal, and is definitely someone to keep an eye on. I definitely think we upgraded in some aspects, and the team loves to push the ball in transition. As far as recruiting, I think the ‘19 class will turn out quite nicely, and the ‘20 class will be one the best that we’ve had in awhile imo. Exciting time to be a hound!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”